Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dirk the Average posted:

It definitely is to some degree. People need to use gasoline to get to work to earn money. Businesses need to transport goods to get paid. There's only so many cost-cutting measures you can implement in a short time period to reduce consumption of gas when the price goes up. You might be able to carpool, you might reduce the number of trips you make, but in the end you still have to buy gasoline to get from point A to point B, and some level of travel is unavoidable for a number of people.

indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
how bout that la city council huh

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
LA city council sucks rear end, news at 11.

Seriously though, wowzas. One conversation racist in multiple ways, and somehow someone was recording it. I’m wondering if it was an aide who recorded it and is disgruntled, or someone on the council who has an axe to grind against one of the members caught on tape being an rear end in a top hat.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Smythe posted:

how bout that la city council huh

This story is nuts, for anyone who hasn't read it. The racism here is astounding, and this is going to have huge repercussions for LA politics. A lot of the coverage is focusing on Nury calling Mike Bonin's child a monkey, but the wilder thing is that a prominent faction of Latino council members see the city in explicitly Latino vs. Black lines and were caught on a hot mic literally conspiring to keep down "the Blacks".

E: it looks like Nury has resigned as president, but remains on the city council:

https://twitter.com/boreskes/status/1579517201950052355

VikingofRock fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 10, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LA City council is a ridiculous cesspool but this is bad even for them

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lmao she isn’t even resigning. Get the gently caress out and never come back.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Lmao she isn’t even resigning.

Martinez is resigning though? Unless you're referring to someone else

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
As far as I can tell she's just resigning as the president of the council, but not from the council itself.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Oooohhh

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Martinez is resigning though? Unless you're referring to someone else

Sydin posted:

As far as I can tell she's just resigning as the president of the council, but not from the council itself.

This. And her statement is very carefully worded to make people think she’s resigning from the counsel. It’s not surprising you were fooled. It’s super slimy.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
lol how the gently caress do you have a conversation like that anywhere near public offices, or even where literally anyone else other than your most trusted political allies might hear you

just brazenly stupid, what a bunch of dumbshits

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

lol how the gently caress do you have a conversation like that anywhere near public offices, or even where literally anyone else other than your most trusted political allies might hear you

Perhaps nobody should have conversations like that ever, because it’s horrible and has no place in society, private or otherwise?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Yeah, it's always great when people are like, "I got heated and lost my cool and I regret what I said" because like, I've gotten heated before. I've lost my cool. I've never referred to a black child as a "little monkey" in those moments. Weird.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Almost like having 13 people to represent 3.7 million is a lovely idea

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

idiotsavant posted:

I mean, what consequences are going to happen to them? They're horrible people but they're probably all going to get reelected.

=================================================================================

Speaking of elections, it's that time again, and here's the very good Knock LA voter guide for November:

https://knock-la.com/los-angeles-progressive-voter-guide-november-midterm-election-2022/

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 10, 2022

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Almost like having 13 people to represent 3.7 million is a lovely idea

It's hilarious that LA city counselors are some of the most powerful legislators on the planet but public perception and the media treat them like they're just arranging 4th of July parades and pancake luncheons to benefit the fire department.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

idiotsavant posted:

How dare you sign your post for all of us at once

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Kenning posted:

It's hilarious that LA city counselors are some of the most powerful legislators on the planet but public perception and the media treat them like they're just arranging 4th of July parades and pancake luncheons to benefit the fire department.

Supervisors are arguably even more powerful and barely get any media at all.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kenning posted:

Yeah, it's always great when people are like, "I got heated and lost my cool and I regret what I said" because like, I've gotten heated before. I've lost my cool. I've never referred to a black child as a "little monkey" in those moments. Weird.

literaly heated gaming moment LMFAO

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

I mean, what consequences are going to happen to them? They're horrible people but they're probably all going to get reelected.

=================================================================================

Speaking of elections, it's that time again, and here's the very good Knock LA voter guide for November:

https://knock-la.com/los-angeles-progressive-voter-guide-november-midterm-election-2022/

great guide as always thnx

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kenning posted:

its weird man. i went to a fundraiser for hugo and he was just like there, chilling. we drank some white claws and talked about plato. in a couple months this dude could be one of the most powerful politicians in the country. wild poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jaxyon posted:

Supervisors are arguably even more powerful and barely get any media at all.

yea for sure

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Los Angeles should have a legislature of like 300 people, and be empowered to enter into direct diplomatic and economic relations with sovereign states.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So where are we with the ballot props? They're almost all loving stupid this year from what I can tell?

Prop 1: Yes, although it does nothing against the inevitable hammer drop of SCOTUS declaring fetal personhood down the line.
Prop 26/27: No on both, although I have to imagine sports gambling is gonna come to the state at some point one way or another. The revenue splits on both are loving dogshit for the state though, compared to what other states take.
Prop 28: Yes, I guess? It's a good cause but also specific carve outs from the general fund loving suck.
Prop 29: Yes I guess since SEIU is for it and the Republicans are against it, but boy am I loving sick of these dialysis propositions.
Prop 30: Yes since the carve out is funded by a progressive tax on the rich, but the prop is dumb and a blatant handout to car companies to build EV's and charging infrastructure we don't have the grid capacity to actually operate.
Prop 31: Yes, gently caress the tobacco industry although this one has some real Prop 8 energy in how it's poorly worded, and I wonder how many people will vote "No" thinking that will stop the repeal instead of support it, or vice versa.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's cool that they waited until most smokers are vapers to ban menthols lol. so now it's not even a significant profit margin for tobacco companies so the only thing it does is gently caress over people who like to smoke them, and you can't even say it's an anti-smoking measure because it's already illegal to smoke basically anywhere besides a parking lot anyway. it's just purely classism and i respect the bravery in putting that on the ballot.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kenning posted:

Los Angeles should have a legislature of like 300 people, and be empowered to enter into direct diplomatic and economic relations with sovereign states.

there are 100 neighborhood councils already....

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Larry Parrish posted:

it's cool that they waited until most smokers are vapers to ban menthols lol. so now it's not even a significant profit margin for tobacco companies so the only thing it does is gently caress over people who like to smoke them, and you can't even say it's an anti-smoking measure because it's already illegal to smoke basically anywhere besides a parking lot anyway. it's just purely classism and i respect the bravery in putting that on the ballot.

its so stupid

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sydin posted:

So where are we with the ballot props? They're almost all loving stupid this year from what I can tell?

Prop 1: Yes, although it does nothing against the inevitable hammer drop of SCOTUS declaring fetal personhood down the line.
Prop 26/27: No on both, although I have to imagine sports gambling is gonna come to the state at some point one way or another. The revenue splits on both are loving dogshit for the state though, compared to what other states take.
Prop 28: Yes, I guess? It's a good cause but also specific carve outs from the general fund loving suck.
Prop 29: Yes I guess since SEIU is for it and the Republicans are against it, but boy am I loving sick of these dialysis propositions.
Prop 30: Yes since the carve out is funded by a progressive tax on the rich, but the prop is dumb and a blatant handout to car companies to build EV's and charging infrastructure we don't have the grid capacity to actually operate.
Prop 31: Yes, gently caress the tobacco industry although this one has some real Prop 8 energy in how it's poorly worded, and I wonder how many people will vote "No" thinking that will stop the repeal instead of support it, or vice versa.

Yeah 27 has gambling places paying like 10% when some states takes 50%, and playing it as if you opposing it makes you against the homeless or whatever. Just brazen bullshit.

As for as the Dialysis poo poo, once again the supporters have enough money to get it on the ballot but not enough to combat the cash firehose from the dialysis companies who don't need to spend money anywhere else.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Smythe posted:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Smythe posted:

It wasn't literally heated Smythe

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sydin posted:

perennial prop commentary https://www.peterates.com/props-1122.shtml is up, as is https://dsa-la.org/voter-guide/#statewide

sports betting is peak poo poo that should go through the legislature instead, and thankfully polling on it looks negative

28 is a no, hamstringing the budget process with arbitrary requirements is bad, especially without revenue or limits (hence why 30 is more palatable)

31 im against on general principle against prohibition as a policy solution to drug issues.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

VSOKUL girl posted:

perennial prop commentary https://www.peterates.com/props-1122.shtml is up, as is https://dsa-la.org/voter-guide/#statewide

sports betting is peak poo poo that should go through the legislature instead, and thankfully polling on it looks negative

28 is a no, hamstringing the budget process with arbitrary requirements is bad, especially without revenue or limits (hence why 30 is more palatable)

31 im against on general principle against prohibition as a policy solution to drug issues.

Pete says no on 28 but DSA says yes, so :shrug:. Budget carve-outs suck but the cause is at least palatable.

For 31 I agree that prohibition doesn't fix anything, I'm more voting yes on principal since the only reason it's on there is because the tobacco industry got sad about legislation overwhelmingly passed by the state and astro-turfed a ballot proposition to get it overturned, which is loving awful and sets a really, really bad precedent if successful! It's bad enough we already had the gig economy companies all come together last go-around and successfully dupe voters into giving them a constitutional right to continue to absolutely gently caress gig workers over.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i just want to smoke my cigarettes cuz it's what i do instead of drinking heavily lol.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sydin posted:

Pete says no on 28 but DSA says yes, so :shrug:. Budget carve-outs suck but the cause is at least palatable.

Knock is Yes on 28 and Yes on 31.

League of Women voters is Yes on 1 and 31 and no recc on everything else.

Everyone should vote however they want but I find the prop guides at least to be useful because they're always so intentionally confusingly worded.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

FlapYoJacks posted:

Perhaps nobody should have conversations like that ever, because it’s horrible and has no place in society, private or otherwise?

Oh absolutely, that’s a given, but all the more that if you are going to go ahead and actually say poo poo like that how do you not make sure that voters never know about it??

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

idiotsavant posted:

Oh absolutely, that’s a given, but all the more that if you are going to go ahead and actually say poo poo like that how do you not make sure that voters never know about it??

Racists are incredibly INCREDIBLY dumb.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

Racists are incredibly INCREDIBLY dumb.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I'm usually with Pete on budget carve-outs but utterly selfishly I will vote yes on 28. Elementary music/arts programs are near-impossible to staff since they get cut first every time budget cuts loom. Things have been funded lately, but it's only been ten-ish years since we were getting pink slipped literally every year. Some stability in funding would do wonders for recruiting and retaining teachers.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hawkperson posted:

I'm usually with Pete on budget carve-outs but utterly selfishly I will vote yes on 28. Elementary music/arts programs are near-impossible to staff since they get cut first every time budget cuts loom. Things have been funded lately, but it's only been ten-ish years since we were getting pink slipped literally every year. Some stability in funding would do wonders for recruiting and retaining teachers.

Literally, the only two props that I am guaranteed to vote to pass is 1 and 28.

I may abstain or shoot down everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
yknow, this isn't really the way i expected to see Kevin de Leon in the news again

which is to say i wasn't expecting to see him in the news again at all, but...