Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

The share button is cool because you can do something sick in a game, and then hit the button to capture the past 30 seconds into a clip.

When I played Sea of Thieves I took over 1400 screenshots across 2 years for my Captain's Log. I regret nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

I like taking screenshots for myself to look at later and remember cool parts of games I played. I almost never share them
Yeah well the cool thing about that is the Xbox will delete them after a certain amount of time if you don't share them. Because that makes sense.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Once I took some screen shots of the robot with the enormous rear end in Livelock to show the Two Best Friends subreddit and got a few likes on it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orcane posted:

Yeah well the cool thing about that is the Xbox will delete them after a certain amount of time if you don't share them. Because that makes sense.

isn't that a configurable setting op. furthermore i always reupload them somewhere else anyway because im too lazy to set my albums to public

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Barudak posted:

I use the screenshot button to capture typos and dialog errors
ah yes, also a vital use case

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

isn't that a configurable setting op. furthermore i always reupload them somewhere else anyway because im too lazy to set my albums to public
It's not configurable for some insane reason, the feature is officially only auto-deleting uploaded captures, if they're not viewed at least once in 30 days. The article claims that captures that don't get uploaded to the Xbox network will remain on the console they were recorded on - this is a complete lie, they changed the feature some time in 2020 so local storage is the least safe way to store captures. They will just be auto-deleted no questions asked after 30 days, the only way to keep captures is to have them uploaded within 30 days and also view them there at least once.

I took dozens of screenshots when I got this Xbox last year and played through some older games, I only uploaded a handful of them to link to my friends so I lost almost all of them while I was assuming I would be able to upload or view them locally later. To me this is easily one of Xbox' dumbest feature, don't touch my local data Microsoft you giant morons.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Both my local and Xbox uploaded captures persist well past like 6 months of being completely neglected so idk what to tell you.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The uploaded ones definitely don't expire, that's for sure

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Can confirm.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I have maybe 5 screenshots I've meant to take and dozens and dozens, maybe over a hundred of ones I've taken when I was trying to go into menus or got too excited when button mashing.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

American McGay posted:

Both my local and Xbox uploaded captures persist well past like 6 months of being completely neglected so idk what to tell you.

I haven't changed any settings and I don't think anything I've captured has ever expired

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't had a single screenshot or capture expire since I bought my console sooooo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

nice

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna hook up an Atari 2600 joystick to my Xbox. With only one button I never have to worry about hitting the wrong one.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
There should be a feed/timeline thing that shows the most recent screenshots and videos posted by your friends.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think there is, if they specifically choose to share it to their activity feed, which almost no one does.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I still have Like a Dragon pictures from launch how long are they supposed to last?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Forever, unless Phil hates you then no longer than 30 days.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My unuploaded ones go back one month

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
If I take a capture I really like I just upload it to onedrive and stick it in a folder. I have like 150 mass effect le screenshots in my desktop rotation. Photo mode in ME1 is great.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It would be weird if they expired since you can set them to be the background on the Xbox dashboard

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I clear mine out every once in a while for space reasons but my Tinykin screenshots are still on there and those were from 2 months ago.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Traded my one controller with the button for two without it today. Now it'll be years before I encounter that dumb button again.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Traded my one controller with the button for two without it today. Now it'll be years before I encounter that dumb button again.
still a bad deal imo. the newer controllers are nicer and you can repurpose that button as others have mentioned. i turned off screenshots entirely in settings because my friends are a bunch of butterfingers like y'all

that said, i use a first-gen elite controller with no screenshot button and a gross micro usb port

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Enjoy your worse controllers.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Series controller is amazing. Best dpad in the game right now.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

butt dickus posted:

still a bad deal imo. the newer controllers are nicer and you can repurpose that button as others have mentioned. i turned off screenshots entirely in settings because my friends are a bunch of butterfingers like y'all

that said, i use a first-gen elite controller with no screenshot button and a gross micro usb port

Turning off screenshots only means I'd have the capture and share tab open up when I hit the button accidentally instead of a popup saying screenshot taken.

Not having the button means not having the tab open up or screenshots taken at all. Just how I prefer.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Turning off screenshots only means I'd have the capture and share tab open up when I hit the button accidentally instead of a popup saying screenshot taken.
:wrong:

it pops up a little toast at the bottom saying that it can't. you could also set the button to do absolutely nothing in settings like others have mentioned

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just upload everything cuz I haven't hit the Xbox cloud limit yet anyway. When I do I'll probably just archive it onto my PC.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Too late. Controller gone, and now I have 3 controllers instead of 2.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Yea I just spent 30 seconds making a profile that makes all three actions nothing and, guess what, nothing happens when I hit it. Amazing!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not having the button means not having the tab open up or screenshots taken at all. Just how I prefer.

Dude can you even throw a hadouken in street fighter? Absolutely shambolic motor skills

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 11, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Cool beans man. But I solved the problem by getting rid of the controller.

Besides, the controller that came with my S occasionally wouldn't sync to the S anyhow. So really, two problems gone in one trade.

I don't have any street fighter games anyhow. No hadoken from me.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

American McGay posted:

The Series controller is amazing. Best dpad in the game right now.

I don’t know what happened with the bone controller but it is real bad. I have a box of broken ones someone gave me to fix and it is not worth it. They managed to fix every single problem with the series controller

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

ColdPie posted:

I've also been enjoying Deathloop. Short set pieces that you learn over many visits, no need to sneak, no dialog trees or even cutscenes really. The invasion mechanic keeps you on your toes in a way that just replaying with the same NPCs over and over wouldn't. I've also had some fun playing as Julianna. I completely wrecked a guy who kept trying to get into his own flat and couldn't manage to get the jump on me.

Absolutely love the gameplay in Deathloop

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has MS ever explained why games you haven't played in X amount of time don't get auto updates?

It's very annoying to go and play a game I haven't touched in a while only to get hit with a 20gb patch. My console is set to update in the background, I want ALL my things updated at all times.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Laserface posted:

Has MS ever explained why games you haven't played in X amount of time don't get auto updates?

It's very annoying to go and play a game I haven't touched in a while only to get hit with a 20gb patch. My console is set to update in the background, I want ALL my things updated at all times.

It costs them some fraction of a penny to serve update data to people if they updated every file on every online xbox it would cost them more

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Also i guess it helps guys with data caps

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

pathetic little bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

It costs them some fraction of a penny to serve update data to people if they updated every file on every online xbox it would cost them more

Real hurthling! posted:

Also i guess it helps guys with data caps
Also reduced impact on global bandwidth back in 2020, a lot of companies did similar stuff to avoid inferfering with people's zoom calls.