Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

I haven't watched any Panthers games, has the defense really regressed that much? They seemed fine last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Isentropy posted:

the maccagnan drafts were a wonder to behold and the cherry on top was Christian "PFF refusés to grade" Hackenberg

He’s probably the worst GM in NFL history. Even worse than Millen. He completely razed the franchise and sowed salt after himself.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

wandler20 posted:

I haven't watched any Panthers games, has the defense really regressed that much? They seemed fine last year.
The defense has been doing dumb poo poo like having an all star DE drop into coverage a good third of the time. I think I saw Fiz posting about how there are rumors that the defensive players want out because Rhule and Snow were being so loving stupid on a day to day basis.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

wandler20 posted:

Panthers fans here have been complaining for a while about how he‘a not putting their talented players in positions to succeed.

That aside he’s also been with Rhule through three jobs going back almost 10 years so it makes sense that if you’re firing Rhule you probably don’t want to keep his bitter sidekick around.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Hackett's a really weird case because by all normal ebbs and flows of NFL coaching he should get the rest of the year, if not into next year.

He has a really bad habit of making mistakes that can only be explained by blaming him though. If anything does him in it it'll be that: a lot of coaches are very bad in their 1st year but they have enough self-preservative instincts to shift blame elsewhere whenever possible.

I think it'll be less about Hackett's gaffes (should they continue, or should he sort himself out), or even the team W-L record, and more about how Russ plays the last 3 months & what he says to the GM and execs as the season progresses.

Wilson is a 200M+$ investment with no alternatives for several years (neither in terms of drafting a quality replacement, nor in terms of mitigating the cap hits). So any success is dependent on the scheme and roster enabling RWBS while mitigating RW Stupid poo poo.

Coaches and receivers and linemen are all replaceable components, especially a first-year HC with plenty of bad press and bungled decisions and no impact on salary caps.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The Stefanski situation is so weird because the Browns are 2-3 with a backup QB.

I think most Browns fans would have been pretty pleased with that result, if asked at the start of the season.

But the way the Browns have lost, yeesh.

From what little I've seen, Brissett looks more than capable. So I guess the the "backup qb" excuse doesn't seem as credible. Dallas also has a decent backup and have been winning, so maybe that's a factor in expectations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kalensc posted:

I think it'll be less about Hackett's gaffes (should they continue, or should he sort himself out), or even the team W-L record, and more about how Russ plays the last 3 months & what he says to the GM and execs as the season progresses.

Wilson is a 200M+$ investment with no alternatives for several years (neither in terms of drafting a quality replacement, nor in terms of mitigating the cap hits). So any success is dependent on the scheme and roster enabling RWBS while mitigating RW Stupid poo poo.

Coaches and receivers and linemen are all replaceable components, especially a first-year HC with plenty of bad press and bungled decisions and no impact on salary caps.
I wish I could find the link about how Wilson has only ever run one offense despite having three different OCs in Seattle. I imagine Hackett is going to have to adapt his "scheme" (I still dont believe he has one) to how Wilson plays or Wilson will continue to look like poo poo, like not even looking at wide open Hamler coming off a rub route and the fact that there was a rub route that got a WR open but he was open for less time because the play was designed such that the RB brought the defender covering him into Hamler's way.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

HappyHippo posted:

From what little I've seen, Brissett looks more than capable. So I guess the the "backup qb" excuse doesn't seem as credible. Dallas also has a decent backup and have been winning, so maybe that's a factor in expectations.

Brissett has thrown a couple of back breaking fourth quarter picks.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Panthers fans here have been complaining for a while about how he‘a not putting their talented players in positions to succeed.

That aside he’s also been with Rhule through three jobs going back almost 10 years so it makes sense that if you’re firing Rhule you probably don’t want to keep his bitter sidekick around.

Yeah rumours are that Chinn, Brown and Burns were all unhappy that their roles in the defense were continually being changed and chopped and moved around instead of just letting them play the game they were suited to.

Burns being dropped into coverage 30% of the time.

Chinn being asked to play 3 different styles of play - hybrid linebacker/nickel, deep roving safety and in the box thumper when he should just be a safety.

Brown was asked to get leaner and play disruptive then he dropped the weight, then he got told he was needed to occupy space anyway.

All the while allegedly, Snow was playing some grima wormtongue role where he'd have too much input into game planning and management.

Burns had apparently been telling former players he wasn't interested in a new deal with Carolina and felt his future was elsewhere.

DJ Moore and Anderson were both obviously unhappy.

The QB situation has been awful but when you go through the disgruntled list that's been floating around thats 3 first round picks and a 2nd rounder. A whole lot of capital you've got ready to walk out the door.

If nothing else this takes the dark clouds off the dressing room.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Hackett and the GM will both be gone after the year so Walmart can hire their own guys

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I imagine Hackett is going to have to adapt his "scheme" (I still dont believe he has one) to how Wilson plays

Yeah as much as Russ has looked cooked that offense is a tire fire. Their best play this week had the back judge tripping a defender so they could complete a pass 35 or 40 yards downfield to two receivers who were in the exact same place.

Which was amusing as hell but that should happen on a hail mary and never ever in any other circumstance that far down the field. That's on coaching, it isn't Wilson's fault.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I remember Bridgewater doing ok for them 2 years ago (I think? My memory is hazy so please correct me if I'm wrong) but then they traded him away for D'Arnold, and Bridgewater had commentary on things that should be obvious like "on the Panthers we didnt practice the 2 minute drill".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: quote is not edit, sorry for the doublepost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hackett and the GM will both be gone after the year so Walmart can hire their own guys
Is Elway still involved at all? Elway hand picked Paton to take on the GM role in his place.

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah as much as Russ has looked cooked that offense is a tire fire. Their best play this week had the back judge tripping a defender so they could complete a pass 35 or 40 yards downfield to two receivers who were in the exact same place.

Which was amusing as hell but that should happen on a hail mary and never ever in any other circumstance that far down the field. That's on coaching, it isn't Wilson's fault.
Agreed. Javonte didnt seem to have runs that suited his running style (he looked fantastic last year) and now he's gone for a year+ because his knee exploded. On paper Denver has one of the most talented WR rooms in the league and even with Patrick tearing his ACL in preseason, Jeduy, Sutton, and Hamler should be making DBs look silly but instead Russ is just throwing the ball 40 yards down the field into grass because they're not on the same page. Its really strange and looks very bad for the scheme/coaching.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

I remember Bridgewater doing ok for them 2 years ago (I think? My memory is hazy so please correct me if I'm wrong) but then they traded him away for D'Arnold, and Bridgewater had commentary on things that should be obvious like "on the Panthers we didnt practice the 2 minute drill".

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31433376/teddy-bridgewater-criticizes-how-carolina-panthers-practiced-last-season

Even the author of the story points out that Darnold had a worse season then Bridgewater. Bridgewater has been with a few teams now and this is the only time he had been critical about a team he left.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

On paper Denver has one of the most talented WR rooms in the league and even with Patrick tearing his ACL in preseason, Jeduy, Sutton, and Hamler should be making DBs look silly but instead Russ is just throwing the ball 40 yards down the field into grass because they're not on the same page. Its really strange and looks very bad for the scheme/coaching.

I’ve seen Jeudy drop so many passes just in the few games I’ve watched this season. I don’t think the Broncos receiving corps is nearly as good in reality as it is on paper. It’s Sutton who is pretty good, a fast guy that can’t catch, and KJ Hamler who seems like just-a-guy.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/1579557466240868353

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Is Elway still involved at all? Elway hand picked Paton to take on the GM role in his place.

I don't think Elway has been fired or quit, but I don't think his job has any responsibilities anymore. He's just kind of there on gamedays looking sourpuss. I'm kind of buying into the idea that the Walmart clan is going to bring Peyton in to fill Elway's old role if the season continues on its current trajectory.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Panthers going to have to bring in Rick Moranis to help out at this point.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Deleted?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

It said ST Coach Foley was fired as well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

It said ST Coach Foley was fired as well.

That’s confirmed. They’re clearing out rhules loyalists.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Rivera is fixing to be next.
https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1579560688544276481

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’ve seen Jeudy drop so many passes just in the few games I’ve watched this season. I don’t think the Broncos receiving corps is nearly as good in reality as it is on paper. It’s Sutton who is pretty good, a fast guy that can’t catch, and KJ Hamler who seems like just-a-guy.
Yeah Jeudy could be a bust but he's shown some flashes in the past, but this year he's got brick hands and I have to wonder if its because the scheme has him confused.

syzpid posted:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31433376/teddy-bridgewater-criticizes-how-carolina-panthers-practiced-last-season

Even the author of the story points out that Darnold had a worse season then Bridgewater. Bridgewater has been with a few teams now and this is the only time he had been critical about a team he left.
Thaaaats it, thank you!

Simplex posted:

I don't think Elway has been fired or quit, but I don't think his job has any responsibilities anymore. He's just kind of there on gamedays looking sourpuss. I'm kind of buying into the idea that the Walmart clan is going to bring Peyton in to fill Elway's old role if the season continues on its current trajectory.
They better not take away the manningcast :colbert:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 10, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Might come off a bit better if the other three teams in his division weren't winning with a backup, an injured reclamation of Daniel Jones and the emergence of a dude who everyone thought sucked in Hurts

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jay-Z was never so disrespected

https://twitter.com/stevereedap/status/1579563363205787648?s=46&t=_ihuPX8Y4LDl_O2RvVYz0Q

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

An important thing to remember with Stefanski is that the excuse for the Browns going 8-9 was that Baker was the worst, most immature QB ever, and not the inconsistency that plagued the entire team (except Chubb) in every facet of the game.

Brissett playing well but still losing is almost a negative for Stefanski because it means the problems with the team go way beyond QB play.

And of course, when your franchise spends an entire offseason throwing people under the bus, it's only a matter of time before you get thrown under too.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

rare Magic card l00k posted:

An important thing to remember with Stefanski is that the excuse for the Browns going 8-9 was that Baker was the worst, most immature QB ever, and not the inconsistency that plagued the entire team (except Chubb) in every facet of the game.

Everything Baker has done this year has validated that though. He’s the worst QB in the league. Brissett is also a perennial backup for a reason. He’s not good even if he looks fine in spite.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

That GM suuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkks.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Between Baker and Wilson, my big takeaway from this year is to never doubt players that talk poo poo about their QBs.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think it'd be funny if commodores fired Rivera if only because it literally wouldn't make any difference that franchise is a loving crime.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Everything Baker has done this year has validated that though. He’s the worst QB in the league. Brissett is also a perennial backup for a reason. He’s not good even if he looks fine in spite.

Baker Mayfield being the worst QB in the league is not a compelling argument in Kevin Stefanski's favor though, because he was very lucky to beat Baker, and his staff learned nothing from it as shown the very next week by Joe Flacco.

Edit: This isn't so much a 'why Stefanski is gone now, or even next' argument and more a 'this is why Stefanski's seat might be getting a little warm'. There's no way he's gone before getting the Watson games done unless the wheels fly off.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 10, 2022

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

fsif posted:

Between Baker and Wilson, my big takeaway from this year is to never doubt players that talk poo poo about their QBs.

between daniel jones, jared goff, geno smith, cooper rush, and jacoby brissett my big takeaway is that scheme + coach (and a functional o-line) matter so so so so so so so much for QBs

if a guy has had success in the league and suddenly looks horrific (and isn't old as gently caress), im leaning towards it being a coach/scheme or personnel issue.

i still think Baker could be a perfectly decent QB in the league, he's just more scheme dependent than people thought. him looking bad in Carolina under Rhule is meaningless bc they've had multiple QBs come in who all look worse for Carolina than they did in other spots

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

i still think Baker could be a perfectly decent QB in the league, he's just more scheme dependent than people thought. him looking bad in Carolina under Rhule is meaningless bc they've had multiple QBs come in who all look worse for Carolina than they did in other spots

Bridgewater looked pretty much exactly the same as he has everywhere else. Darnold and Baker both sucked but they also both sucked the last time we saw them on other teams. So pretty much all you can say about Rhule is he’s not going to make guys look any better than they are.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Kalli posted:

Might come off a bit better if the other three teams in his division weren't winning with a backup, an injured reclamation of Daniel Jones and the emergence of a dude who everyone thought sucked in Hurts

Yet Carson Wentz is still significantly worse than those three.

Even ignoring Hurts, Daniel Jones can actually lead game-winning drives (and he did help lead a comeback against the Packers), and Rush isn't making costly mistakes like Wentz constantly does. Wentz is an active liability compared even to loving Heinicke.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 10, 2022

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Maybe in a super friendly scheme he'd be ok, but to be honest I don't see it.

Maybe it's coaching, but things like throwing off your back foot, not being able to line drive a 15 yard out, failing to feed your money makers, struggling to get balls over the defensive line, not finding that soft spot behind linebacker but in front of safeties etc... there's a long list.

I also think playoff time has shown a few times now that you can destroy a QB that needs a specific scheme to be successful. poo poo id argue that Stafford is showing this year even in a friendly scheme if you're hurt, not able to drive the ball, not mechanically being sound it will show out very quickly.

Do you want to be a team thats in the 9 to 11 win range every year that can't get past the wildcard round?

With Baker in Carolina unless he becomes all universe from here on out, you can't extend him and hope to fix his issues. He's 5 years in.

Panthers are better off cutting the scheme guys, taking their medicine cap wise, stock piling picks and drafting who they can.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The amazing thing about Rhule's are the constant pass batdown.

It's not just the QBs either; I can count on one hand the number of times I saw Cam have a pass batted down before his second stint with the Panthers. There's something about Rhule's offense that EVERY single defensive linemen is feasting on.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Here was the twitter thread from a couple weeks ago. A lot of these allegations certainly seem more credible now.

https://twitter.com/CodyLac/status/1570953434408587265?s=20&t=fZgPyyACzUtLU7hMn7uPug

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Welp. Hopefully we don't gently caress up this next search.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

FizFashizzle posted:

Here was the twitter thread from a couple weeks ago. A lot of these allegations certainly seem more credible now.

https://twitter.com/CodyLac/status/1570953434408587265?s=20&t=fZgPyyACzUtLU7hMn7uPug

Well Rhule's staff picks were the reason he didn't get the Jets job.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Well Rhule's staff picks were the reason he didn't get the Jets job.....
It was specifically the DC role as well no? Macc had already committed to Gregggg.

https://twitter.com/rosstuckernfl/status/1128975503359188995

Also still loling at Gase managing to get assets in return for Darron Lee.