Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Libertad! posted:

I haven't read much beyond the briefest of skims so can't tell you good/bad it is, but Monte Cook made a plane of existence which is pretty much Minecraft. It's from Path of the Planebreaker, a kind of planar sequel to Beyond Countless Doorways:

:eyepop:
Monte Cook is making Planescape content?! Oh geez wizards of the coast is gonna be so embarrassed when they release their version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

If you need an in-character reason for really high attack hits to not trigger a Shield, its pretty easy to imagine that a high attack roll represents an attack so fast or unexpected that you can't even get a reaction off before getting hit. You can still raise Shield after getting hit if you want (ie the +5 AC to subsequent attacks) but that is the way to make it clear that a Shield won't protect you from getting hit without also giving away numbers if you don't want to.

yup. anyone who has ever played a fighting game has experienced this one million times before. there are other ways to imagine it - i sometimes narrate shield as floating magic circles that absorb the impact of blows and stop them by slowing attacks to a crawl(secondary dm advice - two wizards can cast the same spell and have it described differently in narration. food for thought). so your shield doesnt protect you this time because the enemy just blitzes through it and deals a glancing blow. but the second time it works. etc

a friendly reminder also the most useful and valuable dm advice is if a spell works weird in the fiction but mechanically works you can just go "i know, isnt magic weird?" instead of trying to explain why this interaction makes sense

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

:shrug: "A wizard literally did it dude."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'd be pretty pissed at any DM who started loving around with the rules to the extent of "nah but the attack was too fast for you to shield against it." Like that's what shield is there for.

Example from a few games ago - I went and stood in front of the rest of the party as a monk. The archers fired. One got a nat 20. For the first loving time in this campaign I actually got to reduce the damage of the arrow! But the DM said that because it was a crit, it should always hit, so I can't deflect. I tried pointing out that deflect arrows says "when you are hit," but by that point he'd already decided to move on.

It's pretty lovely to take a spell or ability and then in the situation where it matters most have the DM just go "nah" and negate it, especially where the wording and the spirit of the rules are not on their side.

E: not really applicable in this context, carry on.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 6, 2022

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'd be pretty pissed at any DM who started loving around with the rules to the extent of "nah but the attack was too fast for you to shield against it." Like that's what shield is there for.

Example from a few games ago - I went and stood in front of the rest of the party as a monk. The archers fired. One got a nat 20. For the first loving time in this campaign I actually got to reduce the damage of the arrow! But the DM said that because it was a crit, it should always hit, so I can't deflect. I tried pointing out that deflect arrows says "when you are hit," but by that point he'd already decided to move on.

It's pretty lovely to take a spell or ability and then in the situation where it matters most have the DM just go "nah" and negate it, especially where the wording and the spirit of the rules are not on their side.

I believe that what that narrative description is being used for is a case where +5 AC wouldn't deflect an attack. It's a kindness, a reason why the player wouldn't have wasted a spell slot. If you were aware of that, what alternative do you propose?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I feel you, but pog boyfriend is talking about narrating why the Shield doesn't work according to the rules.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Yeah it's clearer what it meant in the earlier context. My apologies, I think I superimposed meaning onto it that wasn't there.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think that sort of thing works where you have up to date and certain of your players sheets/abilities. Because it'd suck if they did have some narrow path of boosting their AC somehow to avoid a hit that I brushed past as a DM assuming they didn't.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

New Starter set is properly out on Beyond and other sources.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Heyo, so I may be finally biting the bullet on actually rolling around with a group for the first time, and was wondering if I could maybe get some advice/insights on how to build a character close to what I’m envisioning.

Basically, my idea was that my character would aesthetically be samurai-like, but without necessarily mechanically being the Fighter martial archetype of the same name… because I wanted to also weave in magically enchanting his blade to do stuff like setting it on fire (because I’m a giant weeb :v:). I’ve been looking through wikis, and so far, I’ve come across at least three classes that seem like they might fit the bill:

-Paladin
-Kensei Monk
-Hexblade Warlock

Or I could also just go primarily Fighter Samurai after all, and subclass into something else for however many levels to self-enchant.

(And if it helps any: my basic backstory idea is that he’s from a highly regressive, faraway empire that primarily worships the emperor and the spirits of their ancestors; who you’re related to is extremely important, because families will hold ridiculously long grudges towards others for even the most petty poo poo. Priests/Clerics interpret the will of the spirits, and the Samurai are the proclaimers and enforcers of that will, while also taking on the usual guard duties, putting any monsters or malevolent spirits to rest, etc.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

Heyo, so I may be finally biting the bullet on actually rolling around with a group for the first time, and was wondering if I could maybe get some advice/insights on how to build a character close to what I’m envisioning.

Basically, my idea was that my character would aesthetically be samurai-like, but without necessarily mechanically being the Fighter martial archetype of the same name… because I wanted to also weave in magically enchanting his blade to do stuff like setting it on fire (because I’m a giant weeb :v:). I’ve been looking through wikis, and so far, I’ve come across at least three classes that seem like they might fit the bill:

-Paladin
-Kensei Monk
-Hexblade Warlock

Or I could also just go primarily Fighter Samurai after all, and subclass into something else for however many levels to self-enchant.

(And if it helps any: my basic backstory idea is that he’s from a highly regressive, faraway empire that primarily worships the emperor and the spirits of their ancestors; who you’re related to is extremely important, because families will hold ridiculously long grudges towards others for even the most petty poo poo. Priests/Clerics interpret the will of the spirits, and the Samurai are the proclaimers and enforcers of that will, while also taking on the usual guard duties, putting any monsters or malevolent spirits to rest, etc.)

Don't forget Blade Singer which is I think the main Int/Dex based weeb magic sword class.

You could also try multiclassing Fighter (or Samurai or Kensei-Monk) and Sorc, since Sorc doesn't know a lot of spells you can focus on buffs/abjurations. Absorb Elements lets you even "redirect" elemental spells back at your foes! Shield is just using your (if you've seen Bleach) Spiritual Pressure to deflect attacks! Magic Weapon gives a nice +1; and Blink/Misty Step/Dimensional Door is like Flash Step etc.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
What is it that you're trying to achieve with the build? A melee sword fighter in armor that can also dabble in magic? It sounds like you have three requisites based on that

Can cast magic
Proficient in simple melee
Proficient in some level of armor

You can do all of that with almost any class save Sorcerer or Druid, and even those can be waived with feats or Tasha's rules for proficiencies.

Just to add to stuff you might want to also look into:
Fighter - Eldritch Knight
Artificer - Armorer
Wizard - Bladesinger
Bard - College of Swords

Paladin is probably the best option since you have so many ways to infuse Smites into your melee strikes. They're also insanely tanky and party friendly if you're new to 5e.

Zurreco fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 9, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If you DM is cool with it, you could do an Order of the Ghostslayer Blood Hunter, would be a neat tie in with the historical/long lasting family stuff potentially.

Otherwise seconding Paladin for sure.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Mr. Lobe posted:

I got a real trap for your players

I like this one to:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Regalingualius posted:

My friend is playing a Zoro knock off and he’s doing a Eldritch Knight Fighter and Hexblade Warlock build he saw on YouTube. He’s been having fun with him in our Spelljammer campaign. He had an epic anime battle atop the tail of a scorpion ship as it plummeted towards a planet, and the rest of the party was below deck. He even got to slice through some clouds.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.

Open Marriage Night posted:

My friend is playing a Zoro knock off and he’s doing a Eldritch Knight Fighter and Hexblade Warlock build he saw on YouTube. He’s been having fun with him in our Spelljammer campaign. He had an epic anime battle atop the tail of a scorpion ship as it plummeted towards a planet, and the rest of the party was below deck. He even got to slice through some clouds.

Swashbuckler is the Zorro knock off :catstare:

Summit fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 9, 2022

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cross-posting from the general thread: local paleontology Phds go ape poo poo, kickstart D&D dinosaur tabletop supplement.

Drakyn posted:

I'm well aware that not everyone cares as much about dinosaurs as I do, but this kickstarter still feels worthy of reposting simply based on the authors:

[...]
Nathan, who I used to teach back in his undergrad days, approached me about illustrating this book at Christmas last year knowing full well that I don't do the whole tabletop gaming thing. My entire experience with such gaming was condensed into one evening about ten years ago, so everything I know about it comes from cultural osmosis. I believe it involves a traditional fantasy setting, dice, campaigns run from behind little cardboard houses and... Jeremy Irons? He's part of this somehow.

Fortunately for us all, Nathan wasn't interested in my knowledge of RPGs. Instead, he wanted my art so he could create a 5th Edition supplement featuring modern, scientifically-informed takes on prehistoric animals. There are, I understand, already some dinosaurs in official D&D canon, but they're apparently pretty "standard" and not especially accurate to their true palaeobiology. Realising that the reality of dinosaurs is way more interesting than their pop-culture stereotypes, Nathan wants to bring a diversity of extinct animals to your campaigns, each with stats and abilities inspired by their real anatomy and hypothesised behaviours. He's also taking inspiration from palaeoenvironmental reconstructions of specific geological formations to create new, science-informed worlds for your quests to take place in. Furthermore, he's creating palaeo-based player races that should be new and interesting, not predictable and familiar. With this supplement, you'll be able to play as folks inspired by azhdarchoids or obscure ornithischians rather than generic "dinosauroids". I'm sure we're going to meet all these goals. Even writing as I am — someone totally ignorant of this vast topic — I'm pretty confident that there aren't many palaeontology 5th Edition projects being guided by four published, PhDed scientists. If you've ever felt your tabletop campaigns were lacking a Yutyrannus ambush, a surprise encounter with Gigantspinosaurus or a Microraptor player companion, this is the book for you.

To bring all this to life, Nathan has full access to my artwork portfolio and is also commissioning me to do new pieces, both of species I've not yet painted as well as new works showing adventurers interacting with scientifically-credible extinct animals. You can get a flavour of what the latter will involve from the cover, which has already been painted and (provisionally) designed, below (NB: a professional designer will be putting everything together next year, so what you see here and at Kickstarter is only indicative of the final product, not finalised book content). This piece was very much a collaborative effort: I can handle dinosaur art well enough, but Nathan's got a tight grip on the more fantastical content and is steering me accordingly. I was thoroughly told off for including an orb staff in an earlier iteration of this image, which I now understand is the tabletop adventure equivalent of legwarmers.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dropped my players Spelljammer crew onto Ixalan, and the player that snuck onto a pirate ship slipped a mirror under the door.

Me: “You don’t see anyone.”
Played: “I open the door.”
Me: “You see three people in the room.”
Player: “I look in the mirror again.”
Player: “Vampires?”
Me: “Vampires.”

EDIT: Just noticed the post above mine. They have no clue they’re about to get dinosaured.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Open Marriage Night posted:

Dropped my players Spelljammer crew onto Ixalan, and the player that snuck onto a pirate ship slipped a mirror under the door.

Played: “I open the door.”
Me: “You see three people in the room.”
Player: “I look in the mirror again.”
Player: “Vampires?”
Me: “Vampires.”

EDIT: Just noticed the post above mine. They have no clue they’re about to get dinosaured.
The concept of "Dracula: Dinosaurs hunter." just crossed my mind.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Well, after thinking on it a bit, I think I’ve settled on going with a Paladin after all, and probably going to be going the full 20 in it for simplicity’s sake, and going with a Far Traveler background. I’ve also been referencing from http://dnd5e.wikidot.com

1. Would going with the Oath of Vengeance be a bad idea gameplay-wise? RP-wise, it was my first choice because my backstory for him is that his life got ruined twice by his father, who became a Lich in a society that really hates necromancy and is heavily into sins of the father (and grandfather (and great-grandfather)) mentality.

2. What are some of the general recommended builds/stat orders for Paladins? AFAIK, I’m the only tanky-capable character in the party.

3. What’s the usual stand-in weapon for katanas? I’d been thinking of Longsword so I could potentially get some dual-wielding fun in with a wakizashi Dagger, but I also realize that that’s probably a terrible idea outside of rule of cool moments :v:

4. Would it be better to go with a standard human or a variant human?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Regalingualius posted:

Well, after thinking on it a bit, I think I’ve settled on going with a Paladin after all, and probably going to be going the full 20 in it for simplicity’s sake, and going with a Far Traveler background. I’ve also been referencing from http://dnd5e.wikidot.com

1. Would going with the Oath of Vengeance be a bad idea gameplay-wise? RP-wise, it was my first choice because my backstory for him is that his life got ruined twice by his father, who became a Lich in a society that really hates necromancy and is heavily into sins of the father (and grandfather (and great-grandfather)) mentality.

2. What are some of the general recommended builds/stat orders for Paladins? AFAIK, I’m the only tanky-capable character in the party.

3. What’s the usual stand-in weapon for katanas? I’d been thinking of Longsword so I could potentially get some dual-wielding fun in with a wakizashi Dagger, but I also realize that that’s probably a terrible idea outside of rule of cool moments :v:

Paladin has really strong core class features and subclasses just add a little extra on top, so there's really no awful choices, and Vengeance is fine.

Dual wielding is kind of Just Worse than using Polearm Master and either a polearm or shield-and-spear, but at least it's free; the extra swing doesn't hit hard, but it's still potentially a crit-smite delivery vector, so it's not nothing. Incidentally, Polearm Master is really, really good because it gives you a way to productively spend your bonus action every turn, and all but guarantees you'll use your Reaction doing something, but that also assumes you're okay with using a naginata instead of a sword, which isn't unrealistic for a samurai but also not exactly the typical image.

Build-wise, Variant Human is really hard to pass up, when feats are both impactful and scarce, and your campaign might not even last until level 4 for you to see your first natural ASI. You could start with like 15/15/14 in STR/CHA/CON respectively, round up your odd scores with your Vuman bumps, grab Polearm Master with your bonus feat, and have pointbuy left over to bump up either DEX or WIS to get rid of a negative modifier. If the Polearm Master praise seems excessive it's because it's hard to overstate how big a difference it is going from one attack a round to three, and at level 1 no less. If you're morally obligated to use a sword then you could use a Custom Lineage instead and put your +2 into STR and then take a STR half feat like Heavy Armor Master to start the game with an entire 18 base STR. This also means there's less reason to point buy to 15 CHA, so you can drop that down to 14 again and round up both DEX and WIS, instead of just one.

There really isn't a lot to comment on being tanky in 5e, besides to upgrade your armor (from chain to splint to plate, for example) as soon as you reasonably can, and that marginal increases in AC are actually stronger than they look; don't sleep on Defense fighting style, for example, since the higher your AC the more impactful each point becomes, assuming some kind of continuous slapfight in a frictionless vacuum or something. Tanking is kind of anemic in 5e anyways and everyone should have passable AC regardless of class; the "backliners" really shouldn't need much protecting and there's not much you can do anyways even if they did. :v:

To summarize, I guess my recommendations would be either:

Vuman
STR: 15 (+1)
CON: 14
DEX: 10
INT: 8
WIS: 8
CHA: 15 (+1)
Bonus Feat: Polearm Master

or

Custom Lineage
STR: 15 (+3)
CON: 14
DEX: 10
INT: 8
WIS: 10
CHA: 14
Bonus Feat: Heavy Armor Master

The former obviously expects and requires you to use a polearm (a naginata should count as a glaive, anyways) and the latter does not, so it's up to you whether you want to fight with a nobleman's status symbol or embrace the Pointy Stick.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

This edition has given me the most fun I've ever had multi-classing. Just making exactly the kinds of characters I want.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

In terms of flavor, a katana is effectively a variety of longsword. If you want a big sword, a nodachi is effectively a variety of greatsword.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

evilmiera posted:

This edition has given me the most fun I've ever had multi-classing. Just making exactly the kinds of characters I want.
It's a mixed bag - having skipped 4th and come from 3.5, it's a shitload easier, especially with how much now scales off your proficiency bonus or total character level. And the ridiculousness of having to put points in skills you never use, just so you can take war priest at 8 is a system I will not mourn for a second.

However they've also made it so easy that there are some classes where you get so much from a 1 or 2 level dip that it sometimes feels it's a better choice than your original class. Which admittedly is more of a problem with classes where you hit that level 8+ void and don't feel like you get anything interesting from levelling up.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 11, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

evilmiera posted:

Agreed, I played a Conquest Paladin 7/ Storm Sorcerer 1 multiclass in a one-shot this month and had a blast. I could basically do everything at any given time

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Regalingualius posted:

1. Vengeance is probably the easiest Paladin subclass to RP since it is so straightforward ("evil must be punished") and rarely puts you in a situation where your oath gets you in trouble. Devotion or Conquest are probably the next best if you find Vengeance too cookie cutter.

2. STR highest priority, CHA and CON next, everything else after.

3. Katana is just a flavor change to a Shortsword or a Longsword. Ask your DM if you can go with the latter, especially if you aren't using a shield.

4. Since Paladins don't need well rounded stats, variant human is better than standard. As you are relatively new to the game, picking a simpler feat that isn't too difficult to remember will help you learn the game faster. I would advise taking Resilient (STR) since it buffs your STR stat and also gives you proficiency with STR saves.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bear in mind as well, if it's your first character people are probably going to give you more leeway making suboptimal choices. Duel wielding paladin isn't the most efficient build, but if you really want to play it, there are ways of making it work well enough.

I would advise double-checking with the DM that everything is OK before starting, whatever build you go with. In particular, check how strict they're going to be about the requirement of having a free hand to cast with and if you need the Warcaster feat to make up for it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Also, there's a huge difference between suboptimal choices and choices so bad they require DMs to limit their encounter design to compensate, either because the character is basically unusable in combat or because they've made a choice that only works if the DM actively plays along, like requiring having a 1hp familiar remain alive but keeping them in range of enemies, who the DM then has to politely ignore or else the character becomes useless.

A dual wielding paladin isn't ideal but as long as you're in there swinging and smiting, that's gonna be fine. As long as you're not gonna then go "OMG WHY IS THAT ROGUE DOING 2X MY DAMAGE" you're not gonna have any problems.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015

Regalingualius posted:

Vengeance Paladin is really good to start out with. It is easy to deal enough damage with it and feel strong, even as your classic sword fighter dude.
Start out as whatever race sounds cool and don't worry too much. Ask DM if you can switch the racial stat bonuses around to fit your character. Variant human is the optimized choice but a tad boring. Do what you find interesting.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Our Candlekeep campaign is winding down (at least the official material) and for our next project I am really considering making a full character of my one-shot joke satyr bardlock who got kicked out of the feywild and who's arch fey patron is also his stepfather.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that you can't dual wield a longsword and a dagger. I mean, I guess with the Dual Wielder feat you can, but its strictly worse than two longswords at that point. Shortsword and dagger is just fine though.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Re: dual-wielding: You cannot attack with both a longsword and a shortsword without the "Dual Wielder" feat. Without the feat, both weapons wielded must be light, which means scimitars, shortswords or daggers.

If you are very invested into dual-wielding a longsword and shortsword (or scimitar, or even a second longsword) as a katana and wakizashi, you could take the Dual Wielder feat as a variant human, and take the Defensive fighting style, making you fairly tanky, but still having the dual-wielding flavor. Just realize that you're investing quite a bit of resources into the playstyle without getting the same raw power that alternate choices could give you.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Baller Ina posted:

I don't think anyone has mentioned yet that you can't dual wield a longsword and a dagger. I mean, I guess with the Dual Wielder feat you can, but its strictly worse than two longswords at that point. Shortsword and dagger is just fine though.

Ginger Beer Belly posted:

Re: dual-wielding: You cannot attack with both a longsword and a shortsword without the "Dual Wielder" feat. Without the feat, both weapons wielded must be light, which means scimitars, shortswords or daggers.

If you are very invested into dual-wielding a longsword and shortsword (or scimitar, or even a second longsword) as a katana and wakizashi, you could take the Dual Wielder feat as a variant human, and take the Defensive fighting style, making you fairly tanky, but still having the dual-wielding flavor. Just realize that you're investing quite a bit of resources into the playstyle without getting the same raw power that alternate choices could give you.

Duly noted! I’d kind of figured that if I do seriously go all-in on DW Paladin, I’d probably have to pick up the dual-wielder feat anyhow. And I’m admittedly still leery about actually committing to the bit (still need to do everything for the character sheet), so I’ll keep more regular options like just using a single longsword as a 2Her in mind.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You could use 2 shortswords or longswords (with the feat) and say flavor wise it's a typical katana/wakizashi pairing.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Variant human is dumb. If people at a table start picking it, just toss everyone a free feat at level 1.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

If you're wielding the two of them together as a package deal, you could see if your DM is cool with treating them mechanically like a single two-handed weapon. The double-bladed scimitar statblock from the Eberron supplement seems like a good fit, or maybe take the greatsword statblock and change the 2d6 to 1d8+1d4.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

imagine dungeons posted:

Variant human is dumb. If people at a table start picking it, just toss everyone a free feat at level 1.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

imagine dungeons posted:

When your official options are the non-variant human, the variant human, and no humans allowed variant human is far the best choice. That said the D&Done human rules (with level 1 feats but +2/+1 stats and extra Inspiration) are far better.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Sorry, why is Variant Human dumb exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
humans have the ability to reach 20th level that should be enough