Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rarity posted:

If you are dissatisfied with voting Labour may I present the alternative solution of dismantling the current electoral system

how

e: fittingly, 201 is the http code for "request processed successfully, a new page has been created as a result". here's your creature

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

how

e: fittingly, 201 is the http code for "request processed successfully, a new page has been created as a result". here's your creature

What did you do to that poor doggee?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Halisnacks posted:

Is there an audio-only version of this?

There's an extension for Chrome, Android and Firefox browsers called Audio Only YouTube. It does what it says on the tin: downloads only the audio component of a YT item.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Halisnacks posted:

Is there an audio-only version of this?

The novara media podcast has the entire episode up

https://overcast.fm/+B6dfstzxQ

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Halisnacks posted:

Well sure, but I was going to try to listen to it while exercising and its a bit cumbersome to do that on YouTube.

A couple of years ago, for one brief afternoon something went wrong at youtube and it let me listen to a video with my phone screen locked. I've since learned that being able to do so is 'premium' feature you have to pay a subscription for and quite frankly youtube can gently caress right off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just use youtube via firefox on my phone, no ads, and you can tell it to play with the screen locked.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Mr Phillby posted:

A couple of years ago, for one brief afternoon something went wrong at youtube and it let me listen to a video with my phone screen locked. I've since learned that being able to do so is 'premium' feature you have to pay a subscription for and quite frankly youtube can gently caress right off.

The feature is always on but gated, you can reproduce the effect on some phones with a bit of practice.

On my android I just jump between a few tabs, quickly refresh the one I want, then time hitting the power button. The tab will keep playing in the background until I reopen the browser. It's far too irritating to ever do this for any reason other than showing someone, though.

"Let's make our apps deliberately bad on purpose so people pay for old features" is a horrible design trend and I hate it

OwlFancier posted:

I just use youtube via firefox on my phone, no ads, and you can tell it to play with the screen locked.

Whaaaat

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a website, there's nothing stopping you from using it in a web browser and you can install adblock on firefox on android. And if I lock my phone while watching media through firefox it gives me the option on the lock screen to play the media through speakers. You can't watch it but you can listen fine.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
If you're on android just download youtube vanced

Bing bong so simple, now you have youtube with no ads, plays with the screen off, plays in windowed mode, etc

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/marrtoffee/status/1579488528060190721

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I don't think Vanced is supported anymore since Google cease-and-desisted them. The final apk is still available though.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Barry Foster posted:

Bing bong so simple, now you have youtube with no ads, plays with the screen off, plays in windowed mode, etc
That sounds nice, wish i'd heard of it before it got cease and desisted into oblivion by google earlier this year though.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Barry Foster posted:

YouTube Vanced got killed by lawyers. Existing users can still access for now but don't think you can download it any more.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What did you do to that poor doggee?

she's supposed to be that length

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

borzhois are snoot maximalism

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A very pointy dog, are they as lazy as greyhounds?

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

If you’re on an iPhone, there’s an app called Vinegar which is very useful for watching YouTube (through Safari, not the YouTube app, delete that poo poo if you have it installed).

It’s about £2, but it removes ads, and forces YouTube to load through the system-wide video player, so you can also do picture-in-picture and background audio listening.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Got killed a while ago and ReVanced is only slowly catching up, it's still at the "you must download the source code from github and compile it yourself" stage

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mr Phillby posted:

That sounds nice, wish i'd heard of it before it got cease and desisted into oblivion by google earlier this year though.

keep punching joe posted:

YouTube Vanced got killed by lawyers. Existing users can still access for now but don't think you can download it any more.

Ah, sorry chums, I didn't realise!

Dabir posted:

Got killed a while ago and ReVanced is only slowly catching up, it's still at the "you must download the source code from github and compile it yourself" stage

That's cool though. I don't know how hard that is to do but if it isn't I recommend it

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

kecske posted:

I don't think Vanced is supported anymore since Google cease-and-desisted them. The final apk is still available though.

I use the adblock browser and access the site through it. The ads where loving unbearable in the app and I bet it's only gotten worse in the year since.

Sometimes the full screen option is buggy in the browser though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
If you've got a VPN you can set it to India or Argentina and just sign up for Premium at the local price, even with a UK card and billing address. I think it costs me about £3.50 a month. You only need to use the VPN at sign up, never again afterwards. Not as good as free but a million times easier and more convenient.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I use SmartTubeNext on my android TV to block YouTube ads, not sure if you can get it on phones.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Thanks for all the tips on sidestepping YouTube (which I have no qualms with), but

Lady Gaza posted:

The novara media podcast has the entire episode up

https://overcast.fm/+B6dfstzxQ

was definitely this simplest! Don’t think it was up when I checked earlier.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Piracy is a crime goons, it funds terrorism.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
You wouldn't download a Youtube

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I did and will do it again

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

How much terrorism has been paid for by my not paying for things at all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends how much of the money you save, you then spend on terrorism I guess.

youtube $0 terrorism $3000 somebody who is good at the economy please help my society is dying.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1579780774794039297

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

A very pointy dog, are they as lazy as greyhounds?

i think so. there's a number of videos of them just lounging around yowling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd_ZzkEpk6I

some goon's got a silken windhound which are the slightly smaller version, i'd imagine they'd be very similar to that in day-to-day temperament

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Lmao I can relate that's basically me in any meeting at work.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Can someone who knows about economics explain how in general there is a shortage of labour, but at the same time employee bargaining power over pay is non existent. Shouldn't one affect the other directly?

I get that unions have been weakened, but surely if you can't attract staff then the first thing you do is look at increasing pay?

Government policy. Neoliberalism works to ensure lower end wages stay slow and workers have no recourse because the party that's meant to be on our side has adopted neoliberalism wholesale and refused to do anything meaningful to overturn Thatcher's draconian anti-union laws.

It's bleak

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lmao I can relate that's basically me in any meeting at work.

Yeah, but I bet you don't earn £150k a year, expenses, a generation pension & severance package if the voters kick you out.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, but I bet you don't earn £150k a year, expenses, a generation pension & severance package if the voters kick you out.

Yeah, you would think Deputy Prime Minister, ceremonial though it is, might include some responsibilities around being general spokesperson for the government and somewhat aware of cabinet colleagues’ briefs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brittania: Unchained
Boris Johnson: Limited.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 11, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Halisnacks posted:

Yeah, you would think Deputy Prime Minister, ceremonial though it is, might include some responsibilities around being general spokesperson for the government and somewhat aware of cabinet colleagues’ briefs.

Especially since the official spokesperson has been kicked out of attending cabinet meetings. I suppose though they're all going to deny all knowledge of anything going on in there now.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
The government, pictured earlier today

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Halisnacks posted:

Well sure, but I was going to try to listen to it while exercising and its a bit cumbersome to do that on YouTube.
They have a podcast and sometimes put their stuff on there - gary is the latest episode:

https://feeds.feedburner.com/NovaraMediaPodcast

E: defeated in the marketplace of ideas :negative:

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Halisnacks posted:

the role should be to go around the country and punch voters without consequences