Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Grand Fromage posted:

Okay good. I didn't watch any of this one other than the Alex freakout since it didn't seem like a whole lot of fun to sit through.

It was not, which was sort of the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DeathSandwich posted:

To be fair, the Texas jury penalized him pennies compared to what this court can take him for, especially with damages uncapped.

Yeah but to Alex Jones fans, and to be fair a ton of other people, the cap is something that is kind of hard to understand.l and they may not even know about

Like I get that this thread is really dire whenever there isn’t court room poo poo actually happening but come on it doesn’t add anything to do this poo poo every time

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
We're back and the jury said they don't care about the exhibit, and then apologized for the inconvenience.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Looks like we have another note from the jury, asking why only Lafferty is mentioned in the name of lawsuit. Also they're ending for the day.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah jury are returning tuesday at 9:30 to continue deliberations. monday's a state holiday

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

OneMoreTime posted:

Looks like we have another note from the jury, asking why only Lafferty is mentioned in the name of lawsuit. Also they're ending for the day.

They needed a specific name for the case as a plaintiff, I would imagine, and the other 14 are all following Ms. Lafferty.

For those who don’t know, Erica Lafferty is the one mentioned there. She’s the daughter of the Principal of Sandy Hook Elementary who died that day, and has been subject to stalking, threats of rape (6 now?), and violence from the InfoWars crowd.

If you lost your mother, and she was a principal of a school who people say didn’t get slaughtered, that her anguish is crisis acting, and that she deserves the treatment she’s getting, it makes perfect sense for that to be the lead on the file.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Faust IX posted:

They needed a specific name for the case as a plaintiff, I would imagine, and the other 14 are all following Ms. Lafferty.

For those who don’t know, Erica Lafferty is the one mentioned there. She’s the daughter of the Principal of Sandy Hook Elementary who died that day, and has been subject to stalking, threats of rape (6 now?), and violence from the InfoWars crowd.

If you lost your mother, and she was a principal of a school who people say didn’t get slaughtered, that her anguish is crisis acting, and that she deserves the treatment she’s getting, it makes perfect sense for that to be the lead on the file.

They said in the response that the complaint lists all the parties, it's just convention that you only use the first party in the Short Form Title of the case

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, but it seems like it hit Ms Lafferty the worst because her mom was the Principal, and died with five other teachers/staff and 20 children. It’s bad enough to lose your mom, but losing your mom and being told she’s still alive/faking her death/acting to take away guns :911:

Oh. The rape threats. To someone. Whose only connection to the case was that her mother got murdered and some psychos decide to target and break someone who wasn’t even there for a stand-in for the mother?

Yeah. That’s permanent psychological and sexual trauma damage. Just…remember that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Faust IX posted:

Yeah, but it seems like it hit Ms Lafferty the worst because her mom was the Principal, and died with five other teachers/staff and 20 children. It’s bad enough to lose your mom, but losing your mom and being told she’s still alive/faking her death/acting to take away guns :911:

Oh. The rape threats. To someone. Whose only connection to the case was that her mother got murdered and some psychos decide to target and break someone who wasn’t even there for a stand-in for the mother?

Yeah. That’s permanent psychological and sexual trauma damage. Just…remember that.

You gotta love* that bonus misogyny just kind of permeating Alex's world. He's deeply sexist, but it's not part of his main thesis statement so you can kind of forget that it's deeply infused into everything he does.

*""""love"""""

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I listened to the charge the judge read out. There was a yes/no verdict question for the jury of whether punitives should be awarded. But her explanation made it sound like they were capped at fees, which I thought wasn't the case because of the fraud charge...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

ILL Machina posted:

I listened to the charge the judge read out. There was a yes/no verdict question for the jury of whether punitives should be awarded. But her explanation made it sound like they were capped at fees, which I thought wasn't the case because of the fraud charge...

My understanding is that while the amount the jury awards is capped at fees, the judge determines the amount of punitive damages under CUTPA (the fraud charge).

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Piell posted:

My understanding is that while the amount the jury awards is capped at fees, the judge determines the amount of punitive damages under CUTPA (the fraud charge).

Oh ok thanks

matti
Mar 31, 2019

-

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Court is back today - there was some brief lawyer stuff starting at 8:31ish central, now we are back waiting for the jury to finish deliberating

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Do the jury members continue to deliberate over the weekend, or just during the week?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Randalor posted:

Do the jury members continue to deliberate over the weekend, or just during the week?

juries deliberate in the sheets

not in the streets

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Randalor posted:

Just during the week.

Sometimes super small towns with like one courthouse and one judge can be more flexible, but juries require a bailiff and someone to unlock the door and whatnot. The courthouse needs to be open for that.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Question from the jury asking to clarify what it means to make each victim whole in an equal manner. Every time I've had a jury question like this one, it spelled bad news for the plaintiff because it signified that the jury is confused. Confusion generally translates to lack of meeting whatever the burden is.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

BigHead posted:

Question from the jury asking to clarify what it means to make each victim whole in an equal manner. Every time I've had a jury question like this one, it spelled bad news for the plaintiff because it signified that the jury is confused. Confusion generally translates to lack of meeting whatever the burden is.

Yeah, none of their questions have been ones that inspire confidence. Feels like at least one of them is being really pedantic.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What does it mean? Are they asking whether all damages are split equally? Or if a couple listed as a couple is different to two people listed separately?

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I've pulled jury duty three times in like six years. The whole system is built around finding the dumbest people there are and if THEY say you're guilty well...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

goatface posted:

What does it mean? Are they asking whether all damages are split equally? Or if a couple listed as a couple is different to two people listed separately?

They asked the judge to clarify from the charge:

quote:

On pages 17 and 21 (of the charge) it is written "you must attempt to put each plaintiff in the same position, as far as money can do it, that they would have been in had the defendant not engaged in the wrongful conduct" can you please clarify the meaning of this?

Edit: I think it's probably what it means to be put in the same position when it's damages for emotional distress

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
gonna find out a year from now that one of the jurors was on the frog pills the whole time.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, so someone might be on team "feelings aren't worth money". Joy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Devor posted:

Edit: I think it's probably what it means to be put in the same position when it's damages for emotional distress

To be fair, I think that can be pretty confusing as far as how exactly you can accomplish that

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair, I think that can be pretty confusing as far as how exactly you can accomplish that

Yeah, they're discussing that issue now. That language is archaic and really is more about personal injury, but they include it. They're talking about giving a response directing them to look at other parts of the charge.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Yeah, I'm not sure this means much of anything as per the Jury's thinkings on damages, as much as they're just wanting clarity on a some really old, wonky language so they don't end up misinterpreting anything.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just keeping in mind a lot of the jury questions in Texas sounded bad but in the end everyone was up for a huge penalty, and the two jurors who disagreed only did so because they wanted Alex to pay more than the rest.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Devor posted:

Yeah, they're discussing that issue now. That language is archaic and really is more about personal injury, but they include it. They're talking about giving a response directing them to look at other parts of the charge.

Yes this makes sense. It kind of doesn’t really work for this particular case. But would make way more sense in a suit with a literal injury

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes this makes sense. It kind of doesn’t really work for this particular case. But would make way more sense in a suit with a literal injury

Bullet holes are injuries

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

pixaal posted:

Bullet holes are injuries

That is not the injury being redressed here. Alex Jones is the only one pretending that it is.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Devor posted:

Take AJs children and distribute them to the plaintiffs, obviously

Its what the bible would say

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

This is really gross, and plays into AJ's contention that this trial is blaming him for the deaths instead of the torment he caused

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Devor posted:

This is really gross, and plays into AJ's contention that this trial is blaming him for the deaths instead of the torment he caused

It's also incredibly facetious and kind of jarring that anyone, be it Alex Jones or a shitposter, would take it literally.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Morter posted:

It's also incredibly facetious and kind of jarring that anyone, be it Alex Jones or a shitposter, would take it literally.

Referring to my response? I don't think he's literally advocating for it, but it's a loving sick thing to joke about in the context of dead children

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Solomon: We shall split the child in half.
Some goon: Oh what the gently caress. That's not okay to joke about.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
QCS bombshell: mods knew about Solomon's child-splitting... "predilictions", and encouraged them

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

idiotsavant posted:

QCS bombshell: mods knew about Solomon's child-splitting... "predilictions", and encouraged them

Jeffrey of YHWH

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
So. Chances they'll be here and finished today? Didn't...well, I suppose they couldn't really be in the jury deliberation room over the holiday weekend. Legalese is a bit hard to explain to a layperson, and I can easily see the instructions being...old and boring as all hell if they have to go back any forth on every archaic term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Devor posted:

Referring to my response? I don't think he's literally advocating for it, but it's a loving sick thing to joke about in the context of dead children

wow this guy thinks its loving sick as hell to joke about dead kids? mods? do we really support people posting here about how cool this is? jeffrey? admins? anyone?