Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Nucleic Acids posted:

Media that complains about people complaining about it is so goddamn tiresome.

Its weird because you lose nothing by not making GBS threads the on viewers. If a bunch of weird 20 year old men got waaay into a show about horses aimed at girls. I assume the media would be all..."okay......thanks...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

anyway speaking of good adult cartoons

new helluva boss, mostly the one they teased at that con(that i was at)
https://twitter.com/IMPmurderpros/status/1575793493452070912

Awesome! I'm always hyped for more Helluva Boss

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Just rework the premise slightly to have "Velma" literally be a Tumblr nerd doing some "I'm literally this character" nonsense who has dragged a few other people into her delusions. "Daphne" is her bff who doesn't understand this is potentially a problem and thinks it's just fun cosplay, "Shaggy" is her stoner friend who doesn't care, there's no Scooby because she's allergic to dogs, and Fred is actually Freddy from the show who fell through a wormhole and that's why he's a different art style.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

Just rework the premise slightly to have "Velma" literally be a Tumblr nerd doing some "I'm literally this character" nonsense who has dragged a few other people into her delusions. "Daphne" is her bff who doesn't understand this is potentially a problem and thinks it's just fun cosplay, "Shaggy" is her stoner friend who doesn't care, there's no Scooby because she's allergic to dogs, and Fred is actually Freddy from the show who fell through a wormhole and that's why he's a different art style.

Very true, Fred can be anything

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm really struggling to see adult Scooby-Doo working for a full-length season unless it's just another series with some Scooby-Doo paint slapped on it. Happy to be wrong, but it's not inspiring confidence right now.

Really the only things making it more adult oriented would allow is jokes about things like alcohol, drugs, and sex for a Scooby series, and even then, I'd think it'd be at the level of Close Enough or Venture Bros. where it's more cartoonish than realistic. Things like violence or other darker stuff just doesn't mesh tonally at an explicit level with Scooby Doo whereas the Shaggy being a walking weed joke does (and then subverted with him saying that he acts like that because he watched some of his parents' home movies and thought that was cool and is otherwise sober).

Ultimately the quality of writing and concept is what helps it stand on its own feet. It why Mystery Inc., a slightly darker but still goofy series, is lauded for how it took the source material and made new and interesting facets that isn't all that held back by being a show nominally oriented towards kids.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Nah, I don't think there's anything inherent to Scooby Doo that makes what this show (seems to be?) trying to do inherently impossible or even unwieldy. Case in point, I can think of two separate examples of mashing up Scooby Doo with transgressive content, and they were both pretty successful at it. One was even an episode of The Venture Brothers.

Beyond which, Scott Doo is basically just a classic Stephen King set up with the rough, ugly, challenging, or otherwise disturbing, edges sanded off. A bunch of young adults travelling from place to place, investigating spooky monsters and ultimately neutralising their threat -- that's basically a successful, formulaic spin on IT*, without all the things conservative parents would have meltdowns over. I suspect there's an inherent value in challenging the reactionary substrate that the series is based upon, which this series is doing in other ways too... e.g. casting, a shift in protqgonist, a shift in villain (from angry villiager pretending to be a supernatural creature to just a straight up serial killer), etc. etc.

*or, at least, whatever kids team up to fight urban legend story IT was based on. I gather Scooby Doo predates the King book by about 15 years, but they're clearly drawing from similar antecedents.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ups_rail posted:

Its weird because you lose nothing by not making GBS threads the on viewers. If a bunch of weird 20 year old men got waaay into a show about horses aimed at girls. I assume the media would be all..."okay......thanks...."

it's especially weird when the premise of your show is that you're doing everything different and are targeting a different audience entirely to the original. oh you liked the thing before but aren't interested in the new thing that's barely connected? i'll win you over by calling you a bitter internet racist, that's the show, that's our pitch, gently caress you lol

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It "Worked" for Teen Titans Go all those times it didn't.

Except for that gag about lying about Season 6, that was legitimately hilarious.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ConanThe3rd posted:

It "Worked" for Teen Titans Go all those times it didn't.

Except for that gag about lying about Season 6, that was legitimately hilarious.

Teen Titans Go has done 8 seasons and counting and put out over 300 episodes, I think at this point it's safe to say whatever it is they're doing has "worked" for them.

Mostly because Teen Titans Go is a kids show and very much aims to please its target audience, so occasionally throwing out a mild burn at any adults who might be hate watching isn't going to bother their main demographic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ups_rail posted:

Mantis42 posted:

it's especially weird when the premise of your show is that you're doing everything different and are targeting a different audience entirely to the original. oh you liked the thing before but aren't interested in the new thing that's barely connected? i'll win you over by calling you a bitter internet racist, that's the show, that's our pitch, gently caress you lol

It’s because that’s popular to do now, which while dumb is understandable since every weird chud makes like 300 videos on how making Ariel black is the worst blow to western civilization ever. So basically a lot of dumber shows/movies/games hide behind making GBS threads on those freaks when they do get legit critiques or are laughed at in general. Volition did it hard when the new saints row sucked absolute poo poo.

Macaluso posted:

Awesome! I'm always hyped for more Helluva Boss

Yeah same. I am curious when hazbin is gonna hit. I am guessing a trailer soon and then it hits early next year.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Teen Titans Go has done 8 seasons and counting and put out over 300 episodes, I think at this point it's safe to say whatever it is they're doing has "worked" for them.

Mostly because Teen Titans Go is a kids show and very much aims to please its target audience, so occasionally throwing out a mild burn at any adults who might be hate watching isn't going to bother their main demographic.

It's because Teen Titans Go is better than the original :colbert:

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Macaluso posted:

Teen Titans Go is weird in that about half of the show is really juvenile while the other half is cynical and focuses on dark comedy. The same show has one episode where Beast Boy and Cyborg just say "waffles" the entire time while one scene in the movie is Raven and Robin killing Batman's parents in front of him.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Hexmage-SA posted:

Teen Titans Go is weird in that about half of the show is really juvenile while the other half is cynical and focuses on dark comedy. The same show has one episode where Beast Boy and Cyborg just say "waffles" the entire time while one scene in the movie is Raven and Robin killing Batman's parents in front of him.

TTG started as a "eh just have them be silly for the little kids" show and then it slowly gained OG Tiny Toons and Animaniacs energy where the writers were seeing just how far they could push things under the censors and C-suites noses.

They still have kiddie jokes most of the time, but every so often they throw a bone to the poor parents watching with some bangers.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Crain posted:

TTG started as a "eh just have them be silly for the little kids" show and then it slowly gained OG Tiny Toons and Animaniacs energy where the writers were seeing just how far they could push things under the censors and C-suites noses.

They still have kiddie jokes most of the time, but every so often they throw a bone to the poor parents watching with some bangers.

Last line of the TTG movie: "Kids, ask your parents where babies come from!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I no longer watch every episode (because how could you, they're constantly coming out) but I still find TTG funny for the most part. Definitely more hits than misses. Like sure it's mean spirited sometimes and makes a lot of jokes that are probably inaccessible to kids but I remember loving Looney Tunes despite them making references to radio shows from the 40s and I had no idea what they were talking about

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Oct 10, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

Saying Teen Titans Go is better than the original Teen Titans is like comparing apples and meatball subs, they're two completely different shows trying to do completely different things that just happen to share the same cast of very talented voice actors.

Like, it sucks that action based cartoons with a more serious edge are often prematurely cancelled in America, but that's not the fault of the people who make comedic cartoons, it's the fault of network executives who kill cash cows because they're too stupid to figure out how to milk them.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Justice for Megas XLR!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I should be clear. I have no beef with TTG with the exception of its "bah, viewers" stuff largely because it's some of its least funny material.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

I didn't even know he was working on a new show, but by all means share

I'll spoiler this just in case, but below is what Genndy showed at NY Comic-Con:

Genndy teased the show as a "10 episode mystery/adventure/drama/comedy" with the plot elements unfolding over time. The episode they showed started mid battle with a bunch of mysterious magical warriors, a cool looking fat robot, and a wizard, summoned to fight some "great evil," with implied time travel. The warriors were a floating monk dude with glowing eyes, an elf looking guy, and a lady that was basically Raven from Teen Titans.

It then cut to the robot travelling through time and blasting various people with a magical unicorn ray in its stomach, transforming them into the aforementioned heroes from the first scene. It looked like it was collecting them over time, grabbing a Native American dude, a Viking guy, and a lady that kinda looked like Joan of Arc.

Then it cut to the robot being dug up from a grave in 1890 London by mysterious evil robots, and after waking up and destroying the evil dudes, went and blasted another woman during her wedding, making her into another Raven-type superlady. He shows her a mural with her and the other superheroes on it, and they go off to find the others. The robot can't talk so she's confused as hell too.

It was... somewhat bizarre and confusing, but had GREAT animation and the typical cool action we expect from Genndy. I think its implied there's some sort of cycle of summoning these heroes from regular folk to fight a cosmic, reoccurring evil, but I wasn't sure if they're reincarnations or what the deal was. Some of the pacing and dialogue was a bit awkward even beyond the usual Samurai Jack style silent awkwardness, but I got more into it as I got a bit more familiar with the characters and setting. That said, it definitely seems like a show that's going to make basically no sense until a few episodes in.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warbird posted:

Justice for Megas XLR!

They made a show so precisely targeted at me at that point in my life that it's no wonder it only lasted half a season or whatever.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barry Convex posted:

since I was just saying tepidly positive things about Velma: good lord, what an awful teaser. might as well have just been Mindy Kaling saying to the camera "consume this more diverse reboot of an existing WB IP to absolve your liberal guilt"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHdtsWn7sgE

Right, so, I just watched this and I'm going to be "that guy" and say I actually kind of appreciate what they were trying to do here. The execution isn't great, and the writing is clunky as Hell, but they're having Velma say these things because they're trying to establish something about her character: She hates change. They even provide background context clues as to why she hates change, check out the bulletin board at the 0:50 timestamp: https://youtu.be/lHdtsWn7sgE?t=50

There's a photo on there of a younger Daphne and Velma, but Daphne's eyes have been crossed out. Clearly this version of Velma and Daphne used to be friends, but they aren't anymore. Things changed. Also, there's a missing poster for Velma's mom up there. That's another huge change she's apparently having to deal with. The implications here are that Velma's life used to be a lot better, but then changes happened that made everything worse and now Velma feels super nostalgic for the past.

Like I said, I don't love the execution, but the core concept has potential. I think it would have been funnier and worked better if instead of being so self referential and on the nose with what Velma was complaining to HBO max about they instead had her upset about something even pettier and weirder. An example of what I'm talking about : they're doing a Reboot of Jaberjaw, but instead of great white shark this time Jaberjaw is going to be based on a Bull Shark and Velma just loses her poo poo at that. Have her email contain shark facts about how Great Whites are the best sharks ever and all other sharks are dumb nerds, have her email get uncomfortably personal and emotional over how they're "ruining her childhood", maybe have her stare wistfully at a picture of herself and her mom where she's holding a Jaberjaw plush if you really want to nail your point home, maybe she still has that old Jabberjaw plush on her bed. Make it less a commentary on people complaining about your show and more of an exploration of the main character who cares way too much about old tv shows because she's dealing (poorly) with some traumatic issues in her life and she copes by watching classic cartoons and being weird about them online.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
It's a little weird that they're doing "Scooby-Doo, but darker and more self-aware" when Mystery Incorporated ended less than 10 years ago, but I guess they also felt the need to do 3 Spider-Man origin movies in 15 years, so whatever. Speaking of, Mystery Incorporated is far better than a Scooby-Doo show has any right to be, and everyone in this thread should go watch it if they haven't already.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nestharken posted:

It's a little weird that they're doing "Scooby-Doo, but darker and more self-aware" when Mystery Incorporated ended less than 10 years ago, but I guess they also felt the need to do 3 Spider-Man origin movies in 15 years, so whatever. Speaking of, Mystery Incorporated is far better than a Scooby-Doo show has any right to be, and everyone in this thread should go watch it if they haven't already.

And we'll never get a Scooby Doo at Miskatonic U series with guest star Harlan Ellison as Mister E.

There's a video upthread that pretty much points out how all of the gang in Mystery Incorporated except Velma are pretty much the best versions to base any variation of them. Velma in Mystery Inc is the cynical person in their group so she can be a bit too negative at times and it doesn't compound well with also being the smart person in the group.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Right, so, I just watched this and I'm going to be "that guy" and say I actually kind of appreciate what they were trying to do here. The execution isn't great, and the writing is clunky as Hell, but they're having Velma say these things because they're trying to establish something about her character: She hates change. They even provide background context clues as to why she hates change, check out the bulletin board at the 0:50 timestamp: https://youtu.be/lHdtsWn7sgE?t=50

There's a photo on there of a younger Daphne and Velma, but Daphne's eyes have been crossed out. Clearly this version of Velma and Daphne used to be friends, but they aren't anymore. Things changed. Also, there's a missing poster for Velma's mom up there. That's another huge change she's apparently having to deal with. The implications here are that Velma's life used to be a lot better, but then changes happened that made everything worse and now Velma feels super nostalgic for the past.

Like I said, I don't love the execution, but the core concept has potential. I think it would have been funnier and worked better if instead of being so self referential and on the nose with what Velma was complaining to HBO max about they instead had her upset about something even pettier and weirder. An example of what I'm talking about : they're doing a Reboot of Jaberjaw, but instead of great white shark this time Jaberjaw is going to be based on a Bull Shark and Velma just loses her poo poo at that. Have her email contain shark facts about how Great Whites are the best sharks ever and all other sharks are dumb nerds, have her email get uncomfortably personal and emotional over how they're "ruining her childhood", maybe have her stare wistfully at a picture of herself and her mom where she's holding a Jaberjaw plush if you really want to nail your point home, maybe she still has that old Jabberjaw plush on her bed. Make it less a commentary on people complaining about your show and more of an exploration of the main character who cares way too much about old tv shows because she's dealing (poorly) with some traumatic issues in her life and she copes by watching classic cartoons and being weird about them online.

I'll be honest that trailer turned me off 100% on the show because that blatant 4th breaking is barely tolerable to me much less when it's trying to constantly mock the people who don't like the show itself.

Something something bad writing but if you have to make the core of your show focused on how stupid people are for not liking your show, that's pretty much a terrible sign for the quality of the writing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nestharken posted:

Honestly the original Scooby-Doo Where Are You actually holds up pretty well for a show of its vintage, it's mostly the later stuff from the 70's and 80's that ends up being mediocre to terrible

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly the original Scooby-Doo Where Are You actually holds up pretty well for a show of its vintage, it's mostly the later stuff from the 70's and 80's that ends up being mediocre to terrible

God dammit, now you've made me feel like I have to go back and comparatively rewatch all the various Scooby-Doo series from 1969-1985 that up till this very moment I had sort of smooshed together into a big seamless amorphous blob in my brain.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It feels like every new bit of information on the show is just the showrunners coming out swinging, screaming "I will fight you" at the internet. and there's been no real indication that there's going to be anything actually substantial to the show itself. They just really want to start a fight, and I actually hope they don't get one.

And if they're trying to be self-aware but not coming from a place of fans of Scooby Doo, it sounds like it's all going to be about horror movie schlock, which is just not my thing anyways.

Data Graham posted:

God dammit, now you've made me feel like I have to go back and comparatively rewatch all the various Scooby-Doo series from 1969-1985 that up till this very moment I had sort of smooshed together into a big seamless amorphous blob in my brain.

It doesn't help that Hannah Barbera had a habit of taking shorts from older shows and repackaging them into new segments, and then steadily trying to blend all their IPs together.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

'We can't have Scooby because this is an adult show' or whatever is really dumb. Having Scooby around didn't stop the Supernatural crossover from happening. :v:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

And if they're trying to be self-aware but not coming from a place of fans of Scooby Doo, it sounds like it's all going to be about horror movie schlock, which is just not my thing anyways.

Lmao if they try to do that like we haven't already had both Scream and Scary Movie and run both deep into the ground, and then dug them back up for a few more goes.

Kinda sounds like HBO is using this as "Sacrificial Trash".

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

It feels like every new bit of information on the show is just the showrunners coming out swinging, screaming "I will fight you" at the internet. and there's been no real indication that there's going to be anything actually substantial to the show itself. They just really want to start a fight, and I actually hope they don't get one.

I hadn't really thought about it until now but it's giving me the vibes of the run up to Cowboy Bebop live action reboot. Just weird misguided anger and taking shots at the okay fans while acting like you're fighting some valiant battle against the alt-right/awful nerds. If your show's good then just let it work its magic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I mean if any of that were true it might be interesting but the trailer's not really saying anything about Velma, I think it's pretty clear that all the talk about change is just a meta joke. By talking about how they know how the change will be negatively received and by making Velma seem silly, the writers are preemptively saying that if you're hating on the show for changing things you are also silly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I mean if any of that were true it might be interesting but the trailer's not really saying anything about Velma, I think it's pretty clear that all the talk about change is just a meta joke. By talking about how they know how the change will be negatively received and by making Velma seem silly, the writers are preemptively saying that if you're hating on the show for changing things you are also silly.

They're doing it in a ridiculously hostile way -- they make the trailer's version of Velma crypto-hypocrite and then kill her at the end of the clip -- but I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that thesis.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Just revive the old guest star series imo. This week Scooby and The Gang team up with Ye to solve the mystery of the spooooooky ghost mother. Ben Affleck shows up as Batman but the series maintains cannon from the OG Adam West episodes. Get stupid.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Warbird posted:

Just revive the old guest star series imo. This week Scooby and The Gang team up with Ye to solve the mystery of the spooooooky ghost mother. Ben Affleck shows up as Batman but the series maintains cannon from the OG Adam West episodes. Get stupid.

We literally just had that actually

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I, very personally, always thought TTG!'s mockery of TT fans was kinda funny because by the time they started making jokes in-show, I was loooong sick of hearing about how, "TTG! is such an affront to TT I won't watch it!" It also helps that their mockery is self-inflicted half the time, such as Robin's line about, "Just because everyone says we're [air quotes] abominations!"[/air quotes]
I'm with TwoPair in that I get more hits than misses from that show.

The Velma trailer anticipates outrage and considering how everybody's too busy being angry about Velma being gay in that other adaptation is... WIFF! Kinda funny? Though I'm getting bummed because Velma looked like it could be an interesting take at the start and everything new is just making me less excited. I wanted to like it, dammit!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

It doesn't help that Hannah Barbera had a habit of taking shorts from older shows and repackaging them into new segments, and then steadily trying to blend all their IPs together.

It’s gonna suck poo poo and when bad reviews come out, the creators will blame chuds for racism and fans of the original for being toxic and hateful and not understanding. The show will go for like 3 seasons and die just as it finds any kind of decency. Like if it was something cool that did something interesting with the premise then cool but you couldn’t even have Scooby in it which I get from a demographic/parental thing but like trying to play it off as “he wouldn’t be funny” is lol.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Warbird posted:

Apparently they did that a couple years back.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like you're all overreacting a lot , the short is fine albeit a little cringy, Mindy Kaling has had a pretty good record with the shows she is behind, they weren't allowed to use Scooby Doo anyway and didn't really have a good take on it, and anyway, i can't fathom feeling that the show is being "hostile."

Bummer that this didn't come out later because Trick or Treat Scooby Doo obviously ripped of the bandaid on Velma's queerness and I feel like it would be hard/is going to be hard to walk it back after that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They should just use Dynomutt instead. Same character, just a cyborg.

And he's already part of the Scooby cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I knew HBOMax was dropping Tigtone, but I didn't know it was getting wiped off the face of the internet. :(

It's not on Adult Swim's site anymore, either.