Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Blorange posted:

Is frame generation an optional setting in DLSS 3.0, or is it just stuck on if it's supported? I don't think I want to enable it given the image quality & latency oddities.

optional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

pyrotek posted:

The Digital Foundry 4090 review mentions something I haven't heard before: frame generation currently needs to be run uncapped to work right, introducing frame tearing above your monitor's maximum refresh rate. If you turn on v-sync in the control panel, you get latency issues or camera stutter issues.

Makes sense since it's "cheating" them out

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Person with a beta build of Cyberpunk says they got Frame Generation to work on their 2070.

DLSS Frame Generation doesn't seem to be hardware locked to RTX 40 series. I was able to bypass a software lock by adding a config file to remove the VRAM overhead in Cyberpunk. Doing this causes some instability and frame drops but I'm getting ~80 FPS on an RTX 2070 with the following settings:

2560x1440 res

HDR off

DLSS Balanced

DLSS Frame Generation ON

Ray Tracing Ultra preset

(I get ~35-40 FPS without Frame Generation)

They posted screens of the new settings, it looks legit. Cat's out of the bag, if true.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/y1gx4s/some_new_graphics_and_video_settings_coming_to/

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lol

optical flow already existed on ampere and turing so it's not entirely surprising it can be coaxed into running, the question is whether nvidias claims about image quality improvements on ada hold up

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of DLSS3 they don't have many games ready for the immediate launch window

quote:

SUPER PEOPLE – now available
Justice ‘Fuyun Court’ – October 12
Loopmancer – October 12
Microsoft Flight Simulator – October 17
A Plague Tale: Requiem – October 18

flight sim nerds will be happy about MSFS but otherwise, eh

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
theres basically no games on the horizon i feel interested in so my eventual 4080 purchase will last me until my life is claimed in the Southwest Water Wars

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
why would there be any games committing to a gimmick feature that no gamers will even have for years?

if they made framegen work on any RTX card but better on the 4000s they might have had better uptake

e: which they clearly did before some product segmentation bozo made them put in a check to disable it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The Arstechnica review has a pretty detailed look at frame generation: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/10/rtx-4090-review-nvidias-biggest-gpu-is-easily-its-best/

It seems to work well but he's skeptical of it performing on weaker cards (and obviously including 20/30 series). I dunno.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I could not be any more excited. Like, say what you want about the price point but the 4090 is more or less the most balls to the wall, no expense spared consumer gpu we've ever seen in the history of the business (though I'm happy to be wrong on that if anyone wants to challenge).

It's also pretty incredible how good the FE is!! I'm definitely angling to get an FE if I can. An in store pickup Best Buy FE 4090 same day would be loving awesome.

Even the wattage numbers look good as gently caress. I'll probably run for now at say 80% power limit (for an easy 4K/144hz in most titles) and if/when more demanding games come out, I'm ok with changing that to full power draw.

Just curious- how much does power cost where yall live? I just moved from a place that had close to 40 cents a kwh energy prices, which absolutely crushed me because I also work from home.

Seattle has 10c a kwh and as a relatively cold area, the thermal profile is a benefit if anything. I'm just curious of how much other people pay for energy though.

My main concern at this point, regarding the launch, is that many people will buy/reserve GPUs that they have no real business affording, just in case they decide they want it later, or so they can see if it's worth it for scalping (though that seems unlikely). And then just release the hold or return it later.

Let's hope stock holds up and too many randos don't reserve one for no reason, basically.

e: does anyone getting a 4090 want to hook up via discord and join forces to make sure we understand the exact moment things go live? Also could anyone post the existing card Discords that I'm sure exists? The Discords were the only reason I got an Ampere 3090 on launch day...

ALSO does anyone know if Amazon will have cards tomorrow?

Taima fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 11, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
made a quick phone ar preview of the 4090 asus strix if people want to do some size comparisons at home for funsies:

https://size.link?l=357.6&w=149.3&h=70.1&units=mm

it's basically as long as my tkl keyboard, which seems hilarious to try to fit into my case

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Taima posted:

FE is best buy exclusive.

Amazon only has a PNY page, not sure if it'll actually be available to order tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-Gaming-Epic-X-Graphics/dp/B0BG93V9GW?tag=ns0ec-20

It'd be cool to get an AIB off Amazon for me, as a 5% cashback is no small thing with a 1600$ card but i'd expect it to be a few days.

I'll make a reasonable effort to get something tomorrow but wont be stressing like it's 2020 either.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Taima posted:

I could not be any more excited. Like, say what you want about the price point but the 4090 is more or less the most balls to the wall, no expense spared consumer gpu we've ever seen in the history of the business

It only seems that way since the 4080s are so much worse than usual

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Inept posted:

the 4070 being so overpriced they were shamed into pretending it was a 4080 is the perfect capstone on this launch. Can't wait for the class-action settlement over misleading marketing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Harik posted:

Can't wait for the class-action settlement over misleading marketing.

I don’t think “you should have named this product a different way because I say so” is much of a legal case. The 4080 is a 4080 because they say it’s a 4080, whether anyone likes it or not. They could have named it Frank the Graphics Card. The name, as always, doesn’t mean anything and is only designed to get people to spend money.

e: just realized you probably meant the two different 4080 SKUs specifically, my bad. While more confusing to the lay person, thats still not gonna fly in court. Nvidia distinctly named the two parts.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 11, 2022

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Wee Frank, Frank and Big Frank would be a good naming convention.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Cygni posted:

I don’t think “you should have named this product a different way because I say so” is much of a legal case. The 4080 is a 4080 because they say it’s a 4080, whether anyone likes it or not. They could have named it Frank the Graphics Card. The name, as always, doesn’t mean anything and is only designed to get people to spend money.

Yeah, there's barely a case when they release two cards with the same exact name but different SKUs with totally different specs.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Ha yeah, just like all those class action lawsuits for the 1060 3GB and 6GB or the 2060 6GB and 12GB!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inept posted:

They could somehow be a “good” deal depending on performance scaling from the 4090.

Usually its pretty predictable based on chopping down the core but we’ll have to see actual results.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I feel like it's the opposite and the 4080 16GB would be a perfectly good 80-tier card in any other generation but it looks weak this gen because the 4090 is much better than usual.

edit: the 4090 is a bigger generational leap than anything we've seen in previous generations for at least the last decade, if you ignore the titans. The closest is possibly the 1080 Ti vs 980 Ti, which was a 67% boost, but this is even bigger when comparing the 4090 to 3090. The 4090 Ti will probably exist at some point too.

(and i'm disregarding pricing here. the pricing situation is obviously hosed, especially for the 4080s)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 11, 2022

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

but... but I don't have money for a 4090

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

repiv posted:

4090 just barely hitting 60fps in portal rtx with a 1080p internal resolution :tif:

the tech is gorgeous but we're still a way away from it being practical

My comment doesn't add much to the debate but I'm always wondering why they show Portal for RT. In my opinion, Portal is a title where the visual improvement by RT is the least dramatic because everything is just grey anyway. But maybe I'm an outlier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lord Stimperor posted:

My comment doesn't add much to the debate but I'm always wondering why they show Portal for RT. In my opinion, Portal is a title where the visual improvement by RT is the least dramatic because everything is just grey anyway. But maybe I'm an outlier.
That gum you like is going to come back in style!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
What's the future outlook on 8GB of VRAM?

I think my fuzzy understanding of VRAM is that it's mostly not a big performance factor unless the game wants to use more than you have, at which point the game might hitch and lurch for a second while it quickly frees up space and loads new things into memory. Seems like high res textures and higher rendering resolution are the main gobblers of VRAM?

I don't have a great sense for how much a VRAM a typical new AAA release wants to address these days, or how quickly that number might balloon over the next few years. My most recent point of reference is trying Deathloop on gamepass and having the video options yell at me for having less than 4GB. I think every other game I've played in the past 5 years that has estimated VRAM usage in the settings has been around 2.7-3.2 GB or less. Thinking about it, it's honestly surprising how long it's taken for that number to go up meaningfully.

I'm not sure whether to conclude that it will continue to only incrementally creep up, or whether we are about to have the industry suddenly decide that NOW is the time for next gen and 8GB is the new minimum.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Off the top of my head I feel like 6GB has been considered minimum for a while, and 8GB still does okay on 1440p. It's at 4k that 8GB is starting to be insufficient, or already is insufficient in some games.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see games listing 6GB as a minimum amount.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

The list of games that can use Remix isn’t that substantial iiuc, and from a production standpoint Portal seems fairly simple. A limited amount of assets, and a short length overall. This was done by a relatively small internal Nvidia team, if I’m not mistaken. So it’s kinda an ideal title as a showcase.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've had a few games at 4k/max settings where it gave me a warning that my 3080 10gb didn't have enough vram.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

infraboy posted:

I've had a few games at 4k/max settings where it gave me a warning that my 3080 10gb didn't have enough vram.

the question when this happens is whether max settings actually make any difference though, sometimes the max setting just allocates more VRAM for the hell of it and a lower setting is still sufficient to have everything streamed in at the appropriate quality level

looking at you doom eternal

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Josh Lyman posted:

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

That gum I like? I'm afraid I don't know that meme :(

Rinkles posted:

The list of games that can use Remix isn’t that substantial iiuc, and from a production standpoint Portal seems fairly simple. A limited amount of assets, and a short length overall. This was done by a relatively small internal Nvidia team, if I’m not mistaken. So it’s kinda an ideal title as a showcase.

Oh, so that's why they keep using it. That makes sense.

About the 4090 and its scaling with power: I'm wondering when vendors start giving their cards a preset 'whisper mode' or something. If lowering the power target so far costs almost nothing, they might as well have given it a little software or hardware toggle where you can switch the tuning from 'whisper mode (280W, icy cool)' to 'turbo mode (500W, melting)'. I know that on the technical side, afterburner does that for you. But from a marketing perspective that would have gone a long way to emphasize that these cards are just very flexible in what they can do.

BTW someone mentioned electricity prices. Many EU countries are now implementing price caps. But I've seen screenshots of people getting contracts approaching 1EUR/kwh before cap. At these levels it's really no longer a matter of excess power draw merely feeling wasteful, it may actually measurably contribute to your bills.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 11, 2022

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Taima posted:

I could not be any more excited. Like, say what you want about the price point but the 4090 is more or less the most balls to the wall, no expense spared consumer gpu we've ever seen in the history of the business (though I'm happy to be wrong on that if anyone wants to challenge).

It's also pretty incredible how good the FE is!! I'm definitely angling to get an FE if I can. An in store pickup Best Buy FE 4090 same day would be loving awesome.

Even the wattage numbers look good as gently caress. I'll probably run for now at say 80% power limit (for an easy 4K/144hz in most titles) and if/when more demanding games come out, I'm ok with changing that to full power draw.

Just curious- how much does power cost where yall live? I just moved from a place that had close to 40 cents a kwh energy prices, which absolutely crushed me because I also work from home.

Seattle has 10c a kwh and as a relatively cold area, the thermal profile is a benefit if anything. I'm just curious of how much other people pay for energy though.

My main concern at this point, regarding the launch, is that many people will buy/reserve GPUs that they have no real business affording, just in case they decide they want it later, or so they can see if it's worth it for scalping (though that seems unlikely). And then just release the hold or return it later.

Let's hope stock holds up and too many randos don't reserve one for no reason, basically.

e: does anyone getting a 4090 want to hook up via discord and join forces to make sure we understand the exact moment things go live? Also could anyone post the existing card Discords that I'm sure exists? The Discords were the only reason I got an Ampere 3090 on launch day...

You're talking about a loving card that's nearly 1700 quid. Stop wanking. It will never match the 1080ti for sheer impact

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You're talking about a loving card that's nearly 1700 quid. Stop wanking. It will never match the 1080ti for sheer impact

They'll never make that mistake again that's for sure lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shipon posted:

They'll never make that mistake again that's for sure lol

There’s always next year (ok well 2 years)!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lord Stimperor posted:

That gum I like? I'm afraid I don't know that meme :(

Oh, so that's why they keep using it. That makes sense.

About the 4090 and its scaling with power: I'm wondering when vendors start giving their cards a preset 'whisper mode' or something. If lowering the power target so far costs almost nothing, they might as well have given it a little software or hardware toggle where you can switch the tuning from 'whisper mode (280W, icy cool)' to 'turbo mode (500W, melting)'. I know that on the technical side, afterburner does that for you. But from a marketing perspective that would have gone a long way to emphasize that these cards are just very flexible in what they can do.

BTW someone mentioned electricity prices. Many EU countries are now implementing price caps. But I've seen screenshots of people getting contracts approaching 1EUR/kwh before cap. At these levels it's really no longer a matter of excess power draw merely feeling wasteful, it may actually measurably contribute to your bills.

MSI has done this at least as far back as the 1070, iirc. But it requires you to install their special Dragon software.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Lord Stimperor posted:

But from a marketing perspective

im sure the marketing perspective is still 'our product is absolute poo poo if it can't beat the competitor card by 1% by all means necessary'

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SuperTeeJay posted:

Wee Frank, Frank and Big Frank would be a good naming convention.

I would buy a GPU named Frank.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I was too late to get the notice but I guess Zotac jumped the gun and you could pre-order their 4090, I feel like I can be picky on which brand I attempt to get this time around though.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/ZOTAC/GraphicsCards/page/31BA1B78-F1AE-4205-87C7-B4BB0CCAF129?tag=ns0ec-20&geniuslink=true

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Actually managed to get an order through for the Zotac 4090, Friday delivery or so it says.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

infraboy posted:

Actually managed to get an order through for the Zotac 4090, Friday delivery or so it says.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Worse comes to worse I can cancel it or return it. Although 5% back for using the Amazon credit card is no small amount for this purchase.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think it's more likely that LTT accidentally did the CP2077 run with DLSS enabled and never caught it.

Ding ding ding

CORRECTION: We're working on updating the video, but in the meantime, our numbers for Cyberpunk 2077 were with FidelityFX Upscaling enabled. We specifically didn't have this enabled, but stability issues with the bench seems to have messed with the settings. We've re-run all of the numbers for each card:

*No RT, no DLSS (1%low, 5%low, avg):
- RTX 4090: 54, 69, 81
- RTX 3090 Ti: 43, 46, 56
- RTX 3090: 35, 43, 50
- RX 6950 XT: 30, 39, 46

*RT, no DLSS (1%low, 5%low, avg):
- RTX 4090: 36, 39, 44
- RTX 3090 Ti: 17, 22, 26
- RTX 3090: 16, 19, 23
- RX 6950 XT: 10, 11, 13

*RT + DLSS (1%low, 5%low, avg):
- RTX 4090: 94, 97, 108
- RTX 3090 Ti: 58, 60, 67
- RTX 3090: 52, 53, 61
- RX 6950 XT: N/A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

infraboy posted:

Actually managed to get an order through for the Zotac 4090

:whitewater:

(I mean there's a reasonable floor to how bad a partner can be, but Zotac is not known for amazing design or build, and like EVGA they're kinda known for higher than average failure rates, but they also have terrible service in the US. Their cachet during the 30-series was their having a direct store where you had a reasonable chance of getting one. But there aren't going to be endless shortages of these.)