Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/news/october-2022-rtx-dlss-game-updates/

More Nvidia marketing numbers, but...

msfs is cpu-bound, but what the hell is happening with plague tale requiem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That gap between the two 4080s. :stare:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Assuming there aren't major shakeups in the next few months, what cards would people recommend for 1440p 60hz? I don't care about ray tracing. I'm just looking to see about what I should expect to budget if I decide to upgrade from my 1060 6GB. I saw some RX 6650XTs on pcpartpicker for $420 CAD, only $10 more than a 6600XT, but more than I'd like to pay.

Shifty Pony posted:

I would buy a GPU named Frank.

I'd only do that if I can buy a case shaped like a stein.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I mean it's 79% of the SMs and ~79% of the performance for (allegedly) 75% of the price. Only 70% of the memory bandwidth but that's not being hit in Nvidia's chosen tests. That's not a great value proposition even in a vacuum.

We'll see what happens in a few months. Can nvidia out-wait the flood of 30 series cards and the impact of RDNA3? I kinda doubt it. Those prices are going to have to come down.

unpronounceable posted:

Assuming there aren't major shakeups in the next few months, what cards would people recommend for 1440p 60hz? I don't care about ray tracing. I'm just looking to see about what I should expect to budget if I decide to upgrade from my 1060 6GB. I saw some RX 6650XTs on pcpartpicker for $420 CAD, only $10 more than a 6600XT, but more than I'd like to pay.

Get a monitor that isn't trash. Don't go above a 3060 Ti at absolute most until after you've done that. You can wait for monitor holiday sales, there are always good ones.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
son of a bitch how long were the zotacs up

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You're talking about a loving card that's nearly 1700 quid. Stop wanking. It will never match the 1080ti for sheer impact

Idk man I'm pretty excited, sorry that makes you upset.

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 12, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

You do not need to order the first card you lay eyes on. Banish your FOMO. You will not miss out even if you wait a bit.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Do we know exactly when they'll go up? Just want to figure out when to set my alarm, or if its literally like 9pm EST, or midnight PST...

The Ampere launch was super telegraphed and I knew when to set my alarm. I admit I'm probably pretty PTSD from the 3080/90 launch experience.

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Oct 12, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

unpronounceable posted:

I'd only do that if I can buy a case shaped like a stein.

the 6650XT is basically identical to the 6600XT, just whichever is cheaper is preferable. the 6600XT is going to be ok (just you won't be able to max settings or anything) and possibly the best value but i'd really be aiming for the 3060 Ti or 6700XT to get some breathing room.

there are definitely potential major shakeups on the way though. if the midrange RDNA3 cards are at all good value & indeed launch early next year as expected then they could easily look much more appealing than anything else, or just help to push prices of everything else down.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That gap between the two 4080s. :stare:

Well, the approximation of “bad 4080 = 3090 ti” can set pricing expectations for the 30 series at least.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Taima posted:

Do we know exactly when they'll go up? Just want to figure out when to set my alarm, or if its literally like 9pm EST, or midnight PST...

I think the Nerd Speak discord had the alert up at around 6:34pm PST, I didn't put too much effort but the order managed to go through within 20-30 minutes, I was at least 15 minutes late to seeing the alert.

Amazon is hassle free on returns so i'll hold out a little for an FE or the Asus TUF.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Stimperor posted:

About the 4090 and its scaling with power: I'm wondering when vendors start giving their cards a preset 'whisper mode' or something. If lowering the power target so far costs almost nothing, they might as well have given it a little software or hardware toggle where you can switch the tuning from 'whisper mode (280W, icy cool)' to 'turbo mode (500W, melting)'. I know that on the technical side, afterburner does that for you. But from a marketing perspective that would have gone a long way to emphasize that these cards are just very flexible in what they can do.

BTW someone mentioned electricity prices. Many EU countries are now implementing price caps. But I've seen screenshots of people getting contracts approaching 1EUR/kwh before cap. At these levels it's really no longer a matter of excess power draw merely feeling wasteful, it may actually measurably contribute to your bills.

a number of higher-end cards have a "dual-BIOS", which is a physical switch, usually located near the side of the power connectors (so you can reach it by just opening the side panel) that will switch between two... BIOSes

in one aspect, this provides protection against a corrupted/bad BIOS - just move to the other one

more importantly, these BIOSes are usually in the realm of "cool/quiet mode" versus "max performance/power mode"

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Taima posted:

son of a bitch how long were the zotacs up

Idk man I'm pretty excited, sorry that makes you upset.

We're all nerds here. This month is a great month for enthusiasts with new CPUs, GPUs, phones, and the new Oculus headset.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Hell yeah brother!

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I'm pretty excited not gonna lie. I've owned a lot of gpus, but this is the first highest end gpu I've ever bought on launch. And I'm just real excited to see if I can max out my VR stuff.

Though it looks like the fe cards don't exist in China? Or I couldn't find one at least. Doesn't matter, got the tuf 4090 oc

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I am seeing why EVGA left now though, with the nvidia cooler finally hitting parity with trifans it's a bad time to be a partner.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Plus the AIB card reviews being embargo'ed for a whole day while FE reviews are allowed is hosed

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Taima posted:

Plus the AIB card reviews being embargo'ed for a whole day while FE reviews are allowed is hosed

Yeah that's kinda messed up.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

spoiler: they are all gonna perform identically, some will just cost $400 more and have uglier lighting as a bonus!

seriously not sure what ASUS plan is here with the Strix pricing, but she is quite the honker of a GPU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Josh Lyman posted:

That gum you like is going to come back in style!

The day Clorets disappeared a bit of my soul went with them. And don’t get me started on Big Red.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Mother fucker, $1600 MSRP, probably going for more, and they COULDN'T loving BE ARSED TO PUT IN DP 2.0+?!

I had already come to the conclusion that I would be buying a 4090... when the 50-series went on sale, but gently caress, dude.

As someone whose eyesight was already trash, and is getting even worse as I work my way through middle age, and will be buying a 42-inch LG C2 or Samsung whatever TV and VESA mounting it to get a monitor with some actual loving real estate, the gently caress.

edit: poo poo, the 42" C2 is down to 999.99 at Costco, I might be buying that before the year is out.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 12, 2022

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The current chatter is that there are basically zero consumer displays that will use it for the next 2 years, so unfortunately it seems more like VRLink at the moment: good idea, no uptake.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
MSI in USA available for order it seems

https://us-store.msi.com/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GPU/GeForce-RTX-40-Series/GeForce-RTX-4090-GAMING-TRIO-24G

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

The day Clorets disappeared a bit of my soul went with them. And don’t get me started on Big Red.

https://www.amazon.com/Clorets-Mint-Flavored-Gum-Pack/dp/B088T7CY76/

Clorets is widely available in South America, Central America, South Africa, West Asia and South-East Asia. The largest markets for Clorets are Mexico, Thailand, Egypt, Morocco and Japan.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Kibner posted:

MSI has done this at least as far back as the 1070, iirc. But it requires you to install their special Dragon software.

Palladium posted:

im sure the marketing perspective is still 'our product is absolute poo poo if it can't beat the competitor card by 1% by all means necessary'

gradenko_2000 posted:

a number of higher-end cards have a "dual-BIOS", which is a physical switch, usually located near the side of the power connectors (so you can reach it by just opening the side panel) that will switch between two... BIOSes

in one aspect, this provides protection against a corrupted/bad BIOS - just move to the other one

more importantly, these BIOSes are usually in the realm of "cool/quiet mode" versus "max performance/power mode"

I didn't know of dual-BIOS cards before. I'm just looking at a few older benchmarks and some examples. The ones I find have that switch tucked away unobtrusively. You need to open the case and know what you're looking for in order to use it. That's not quite what I want. I'd want it as prominent and simple as the Turbo button on old computers. Computer getting loud? Press button into 'Cool' Mode. Frames slow? Press button into 'Turbo Mode'.

Thinking from a manufacturer perspective: what would be advantageous is that with a dual bios, or a built-in one-click-profile-switcher, you'd get assigned two bars in every benchmark for the price of one. Your card can now appear on a favorable rank near the top of both the efficiency and the raw performance chart - that has to have a simplifying effect on your production. And think about the brand recognition - you could be the AiB with the turbo button. No one knows what differentiates Powercolor from Zotac and Palit. People know that EVGA had the warranty, Gigabyte the exploding PSU, and GoonSpeed is the one with the turbo button. How cool is that?

But that stuff aside, I believe even with high-end cards there is a substantial subset of customers who either do not know that they can very easily fine-tune their card to their needs, or who don't want to bother with it. A nice, simple, and chunky "Turbo / Cool" button might be useful for them.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Seems like all the AIB cards have a bios toggle on the card from what I can tell, apparently the FE is pretty quiet already though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://twitter.com/XpeaGPU/status/1580024711072739329

I mean, we basically knew this was gonna happen so it's not really news, though the TDP is actually a little lower than expected if that's true. But as we've seen with the 4090, there's already decent amount of headroom within its 450W power envelope to push things further with higher-quality silicon. Add the rest of the AD102 die, and I can see it.

We're ages from release, but I'm already calling it at $2500.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh yeah, B&H is closed until the 19th, so there might be a little more inventory coming up after about a week, too.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it makes sense if they're not willing to get too much crazier with the baseline TDP figure for the Ti, it's not like they really need to and it's already ridiculous enough as-is

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Subjunctive posted:

Oh yeah, B&H is closed until the 19th, so there might be a little more inventory coming up after about a week, too.

B&H is still taking orders, just not processing for a week. They pulled shady poo poo with the 5000 series AMD CPUs and the ampere launch as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I honestly don't really know how quickly the 4090 will sell out. I'm like 95% sure it'll be back in stock on a perpetual basis within a month or two even if it does instantly sell out now, but the performance is ridiculous enough that basically every single hardware whale in existence will be trying to get one day 1.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Just grabbed the ROG Strix 4090 OC. They popped up a little early on an Australian retailer.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I honestly don't really know how quickly the 4090 will sell out. I'm like 95% sure it'll be back in stock on a perpetual basis within a month or two even if it does instantly sell out now, but the performance is ridiculous enough that basically every single hardware whale in existence will be trying to get one day 1.

I have no doubt that every site is going to sell out within 60 seconds of going live this morning.

edit: I was wrong, 9:07 Eastern and Newegg seems to still have most models up for purchase.

The FE did seem to sell out instantly at Best Buy, though.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 12, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I am interested in a 4090 but not for 2400€ which is the street price in Finland. 1000-1400€ would be more "reasonable".

It offers 2x the perf of my 760€ rtx 3080 for 3x the price. Not good enough.

Jimms.fi has still like 50+ of 2400€+ 4090's on shelf so they aren't exactly being cleaned out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

They're live on newegg.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Grabbed a FE from best buy. Pickup on Saturday

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Best Buy never popped for me so I ordered an MSI one from Newegg.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Best Buy never popped for me so I ordered an MSI one from Newegg.

Same, would have slightly preferred an FE from Best Buy but never saw it available for purchase. I got the Gaming X Trio from Newegg instead.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I got the MSI Suprim Liquid from Best Buy. They still have them as of 10 seconds ago.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
aib embargo time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIS4UANcCe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWejNrSZSxw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

They have Gigabyte 4090 models on NewEgg Canada for $2500. That is a big nope from me.