Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Shiroc posted:

In Ghostbusters, the guy who becomes the Keymaster locks himself out of his apartment every single time he's shown exiting it. Venkman calling back to the librarian ghost when he says "well go get her Ray" when Gozer arrives. It has a dense onion of clever little jokes like those to go with the more surface level stuff.

Also Egon's hand signals to Venkman while he's negotiating the fee with the hotel manager. And the Twinkie scene is a personal favorite of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I learned that Dan Ackroyd is autistic and it explains a surprising amount.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
"I feel like the floor of a taxicab" is still something I say to this very day.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Dan Aykroyd is a 100% is a true believer in ghosts and the occult. Ghostbusters was basically a dramatization of possible events for him.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s a good thing and makes him awesome

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CelticPredator posted:

That’s a good thing and makes him awesome

His history of hitting on the age-inappropriate doesn't though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What are you even talking about

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Dan Aykroyd's personal life which anyone from his local circle will tell you about

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ok let me ask the people in his inner circle which I obviously have access too

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Is knowing people in Dan Aykroyd's local circle a thing you're supposed to know? Like how to do your taxes?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Sorry I'm running a hit piece on a #metoo victim over here

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO2c_TZ5Ics

look at your hero now

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oh ok, so nonsense lmao

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

the holy poopacy posted:

In general, the part that gets me the worst about Ghostbusters these days is not Venkman (who's a creep, but never actually does anything physically even when presented with the opportunity) so much as it is the whole sex-demon-possession-rape thing that just sort of gets glossed over. It's really gross and over-the-top, and seems especially gratuitous since the other demon dog is presented as being completely alien and incomprehensible and is off babbling about Torbs and Sloars while the "female" one is just obsessed with getting its human host hosed.

The sex stuff of the GateKeeper and Keymaster demons that possess Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis is all to do with Bill Murray's character being a creep.

When he first runs into possessed Sigourney, all she cares about is if he is the GateKeeper. Then when he blags his way into the apartment, she is all ready to do some sort of weirdo ghost ritual to bring on Gozer. But Bill Murray wants none of that, and, (if I remember rightly she says something like "You desire this body?"), is reeking of sexual desire. So the demon that has possessed Sigourney just assumes that the ritual is sex based. Moranis's demon doesn't get that memo at first. So is wandering around mumbling his weirdo mumbles, till he finds her. And he probably was up for whatever the ritual was supposed to be. But she has it in her mind that it means sex, so she grabs him and fucks him. To which he is baffled, but figures out pretty quickly that this is the ritual.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The demon that possesses Moranis is an even bigger dork than he is.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Imagine a being named Vinz Clortho not being the biggest dork in his entire dimension

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I would like to see demons that change their behaviours with the times, like they started out doing sex rituals when it was all there was thousands of years ago, but eventually got bored of it and started doing other things. A pair of demons in 2022 summoning a demigod by beating a videogame coop, or playing a board game against one another. As long as there's an interplay between them, it doesn't matter what kind, it still works so they mix it up sometimes.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

I would like to see demons that change their behaviours with the times, like they started out doing sex rituals when it was all there was thousands of years ago, but eventually got bored of it and started doing other things. A pair of demons in 2022 summoning a demigod by beating a videogame coop, or playing a board game against one another. As long as there's an interplay between them, it doesn't matter what kind, it still works so they mix it up sometimes.

Azriphale and Crowley in Good Omens really blurred some lines about what it means to be a demon or an angel.

Using the M25 to evoke a general feeling of loathing in humans and then forgetting about the mission.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

Right, so you're a Bugsy Malone denier then.

Occasionally I'll remember that movie actually exists and isn't just some weird fever dream from my childhood and just wonder "How".

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I really like John Dies at the End's take on demons. It talks about the kind of kid who'll stomp on a frog just because they can, and then you imagine that kind of raw, stupid hate being built on for literally millenia. There's no real grand plan, evil is just ugly and petty for the sake of it.

Of course, this being a book from the early-mid 00s this manifests as demons changing all the songs on the radio to include racial slurs. Probably for the best that he edited that out of the later editions.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shiroc posted:

Imagine a being named Vinz Clortho not being the biggest dork in his entire dimension
I mean it's a Star Wars-rear end name, dude could just be part of a jizz band

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sadly he could never be the throat Goat without a throat

buddy, he's all throat

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really like John Dies at the End's take on demons.

I remember enjoying the first book well enough when I read it years ago. Does it hold up and are the sequels any good?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Do we get any more canon on Slimer's origin? I've always thought of him as distinct from phantasmic ghosts, being instead an ectoplasmic entity. Phantasmic ghosts are incorporeal and leave ectoplasmic residue during interaction with corporeal objects (i.e. passing through walls). Enough of this residue will act to form an ectoplasmic "biofilm" of sorts, which in turn spawns ectoplasmic entities such as Slimer. Ectoplasmic entities, being born wholly from ectoplasm, are not the souls of the dead, are not attached to a haunting place (but favor their spawning ground) and cannot be banished by conventional religious rites.

Again, this is all my own personal canon from observing the events of the films. I welcome any feedback.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

Do we get any more canon on Slimer's origin? I've always thought of him as distinct from phantasmic ghosts, being instead an ectoplasmic entity. Phantasmic ghosts are incorporeal and leave ectoplasmic residue during interaction with corporeal objects (i.e. passing through walls). Enough of this residue will act to form an ectoplasmic "biofilm" of sorts, which in turn spawns ectoplasmic entities such as Slimer. Ectoplasmic entities, being born wholly from ectoplasm, are not the souls of the dead, are not attached to a haunting place (but favor their spawning ground) and cannot be banished by conventional religious rites.

Again, this is all my own personal canon from observing the events of the films. I welcome any feedback.

It's the Ghost of John Belushi, op

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

jjack229 posted:

I remember enjoying the first book well enough when I read it years ago. Does it hold up and are the sequels any good?

It's been years since I read the original. Or at least, the less edge-lordy version that got properly published. The Dave is secretly a barely functioning psychopath twist is still pretty great, your enjoyment of the rest of it will depend on your tolerance for dick jokes and stuff.

The later books are much less good. This Book is Full of Spiders is very TvTropes-y in its way of saying "this is what would actually happen if zombies attacked" and takes a bit too much joy in dumb nerds getting eaten alive. And What the Hell Did I Just Read is a really boring and disorganised mystery that ocasionally slams to a halt so we can have TV-Special level discussions about how Dave is depressed and its okay to reach out for help.

And neither of them reach the heights of John "triple-kicking" a guy and then pistol-whipping him with a gun so hard that the batteries fly out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

There's some concept art suggesting that most ghosts start out as human and become more abstract over time as they forget their origins. Also the IDW series has the Ghostbusters in-universe theorise over Slimer's origins, suggesting that one of them might be correct. (Interestingly, they do meet the cartoon Ghostbusters, whose Slimer is a lot friendlier than the movie/IDW timeline one. They also meet the IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and get along pretty well.)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

IshmaelZarkov posted:

All this Mel Gibson talk means I am obliged to post this video. It is twenty minutes of your life you will not regret losing. It may be my favourite video on YouTube, and I've seen like eight or nine YouTube videos.

https://youtu.be/2UoHb0ziMDA

This is so beautiful. This might be the first video on YouTube I've ever seen all the way through.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I saw the cartoon first and I remember that I was horrible disappointed the first time I saw the movie, since they were all old and ugly (to 8 year old me).

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
People that did not age well: All of the Ghostbusters except Ernie Hudson

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shiroc posted:

People that did not age well: All of the Ghostbusters except Ernie Hudson

Hey now, Rick Moranis suited up in the second one

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Phy posted:

Hey now, Rick Moranis suited up in the second one

Moranis seems like a good person most notably for leaving the industry to be a full-time parent.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I meant more literally that Ernie Hudson still looks really good. Not at all looking old or ugly.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Moranis seems like a good person most notably for leaving the industry to be a full-time parent.

Yeah, he made bank and left. And honestly? It means if I see a movie with Rick Moranis in it, chances are that it's hilarious.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

sweet geek swag posted:

Yeah, he made bank and left. And honestly? It means if I see a movie with Rick Moranis in it, chances are that it's hilarious.

Ehh I don’t know. He was in Ghostbusters which is quite problematic today

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I can only imagine how annoying a demon dimension in your fridge must be. Just opening the door and being all "I know I bought some sausages earlier... ZUUL! The gently caress did I tell you about stealing my meats? And Gozer! You had better have bought that beer from another dimension and not have grabbed it from MY shelf!! At least Vinz leaves a note and some money to replenish what he took."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, it's true. This industry has no Rick.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

oldpainless posted:

Ehh I don’t know. He was in Ghostbusters which is quite problematic today

Erase Sigourney Now

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

BioEnchanted posted:

I can only imagine how annoying a demon dimension in your fridge must be. Just opening the door and being all "I know I bought some sausages earlier... ZUUL! The gently caress did I tell you about stealing my meats? And Gozer! You had better have bought that beer from another dimension and not have grabbed it from MY shelf!! At least Vinz leaves a note and some money to replenish what he took."

Well, if you don't clean your fridge out once in a while it's bound to happen eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shiroc posted:

I meant more literally that Ernie Hudson still looks really good. Not at all looking old or ugly.

He’s 77! He looks incredible.