Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The GameCube version, or the 3DS version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Commander Keene posted:

The GameCube version, or the 3DS version?

The GC version of twin snakes, the 3DS version of 3.
So you'd be playing the GC remake of 1, and the 3DS of 3, while the best version of 2 is up in the air since no one here has experience with emulating the 360/ps3 ports or the pc port on a steam deck.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

What format are the ROMs in? I've been using .bin/.cue format because some of the emulators I tried had problems with the .iso format. The problem with this in emulation station/Steam ROM Manager is that in addition to having an entry for each disc of the multi-disc PlayStation games, there's an entry for both the .bin file and the .cue file, so I've been considering switching over to .chd for disc-based consoles, it's also smaller than .iso/.bin.
chd is the best choice just because of the size and emudeck coming with the chd script so it's real easy but, for anything like bin/cue where there are multiple files, if you put them in a directory with the same name as the bin/cue then Emulation Station will show it as a single entry. Don't know if that trick works in SRM.

I think there's a way to make that work with multi disc games too but you might want to look at the Emulation Station docs

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MGS3 on 3DS ran at 20fps, if you emulate it can you force it to run at 60 without breaking it?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

For those asking for a battery bank, this one is on sale for $100. It's a ~premium~ option but it's got some nice features and is down to a price where I can recommend it for most people. It'll work for your phone, your Dreck, your Switch, and your non-gaming laptop.

PantsBandit posted:

If anyone is looking for a good Halloween game to play, DUSK is great on the deck. The sound design and visuals are awesome. It's designed with M+KB in mind, but playing on default difficulty has been totally fine in that regard. They've also made some good updates for controller users (such as adding a weapon wheel).

Dusk is fantastic in general. It feels like Quake but looks like [3D versions of] Blood & Redneck Rampage. It's obviously at home on PC, like you said, but I played a bit of the Switch version (which appears to be a faithful port) and it's also cromulent that way.

Mescal posted:

have sd cards gotten more expensive this year? sandisc 512 for USD72 silicon power 512 (is this a poo poo brand?) for CAD62. gigastone 512 for cad75 these are on sale... surely there will be some actual savings on black friday?

Most of the prices/deals you'll see quoted here will be in USD, and in our market, SD cards seem to be becoming less expensive. Your experience will unfortunately be different, I can't give you much guidance since I'm not familiar with other markets or what the exchange rate is between USD and Canadough.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Playing Metroid Prime Trilogy on this thing at 60 FPS is pretty dang neat, always wanted to give that (sub)series a try and this thing makes it easy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Coolness Averted posted:

The GC version of twin snakes, the 3DS version of 3.
So you'd be playing the GC remake of 1, and the 3DS of 3, while the best version of 2 is up in the air since no one here has experience with emulating the 360/ps3 ports or the pc port on a steam deck.

This is probably a sign of me being increasingly old and irrelevant but MGS1 and Twin Snakes are different enough that I'd recommend them as separate experiences, especially for someone going through the series for the first time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Party Boat posted:

This is probably a sign of me being increasingly old and irrelevant but MGS1 and Twin Snakes are different enough that I'd recommend them as separate experiences, especially for someone going through the series for the first time.
I agree they're pretty different, but I disagree about committing to playing both out the gate for someone just trying the series. I say this as someone who couldn't get into the ps1 version of MGS1 though, and much prefered the MGS2 systems in twin snakes.

The same way I think the tank controls and bad acting were a big part of the original Resident Evil's charm, but I would suggest modern audiences just stick with the remake unless they know they really want the old school jank, and watch a good LP or some youtube clips of cutscenes.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Angryhead posted:

Playing Metroid Prime Trilogy on this thing at 60 FPS is pretty dang neat, always wanted to give that (sub)series a try and this thing makes it easy.
Are you playing PrimeHack? Having played the original back in the day, I can categorically state that playing MP twin-stick is superior to playing it the way Retro intended.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Commander Keene posted:

Are you playing PrimeHack? Having played the original back in the day, I can categorically state that playing MP twin-stick is superior to playing it the way Retro intended.

Yeah, I used Emudeck to get that whole situation set up and it worked well for me, added the icons to the library with Rom Manager and played for probably about half an hour (until you get off the ship and land on some jungleish place and get the first opportunity to save lol)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Primehack is absolutely fantastic on the Deck. I mapped jump / missiles and some other face button functions to the back paddles so I could more easily access them in combat and it works so well.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ordered Saturday and mine has been “stuck” at “Packaged Items” since then.

Should I be expecting movement soon? Appreciate I’m being massively impatient, especially since people have waited literally months previously.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nintendo 49ers posted:

Ordered Saturday and mine has been “stuck” at “Packaged Items” since then.

Should I be expecting movement soon? Appreciate I’m being massively impatient, especially since people have waited literally months previously.

There are usually 2 shipment collection days a week. So if your stuff was packaged on Saturday it’s waiting for a pickup which is probably going to be today.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

What do I got to tick in Cemu? I followed the instructions, ran the scripts, and when I open Cemu I don’t see anything about gyro.

In Input settings (might need to be in desktop mode to see), in the controller dropdown, you want Controller 1 (DSUController). Hit the settings button right underneath the dropdown and check the box for Use motion.

e: Also someone mentioned in this thread that the triggers won't work until after you've hit a face button. Super helpful to know for Splatoon, which wants you to pull both triggers to start.

Manky fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 12, 2022

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

When I installed the gyro stuff for Cemu I had to reboot my deck before it was recognised in game

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

njsykora posted:

There are usually 2 shipment collection days a week. So if your stuff was packaged on Saturday it’s waiting for a pickup which is probably going to be today.

Oh wow, excellent, thanks for that. Fingers crossed then! This is the most hype I've been for a videogame thing for some time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I feel kinda bad that I bought Splatoon 3, loved it for about a month and then my Steam deck showed up and I've barely touched my Switch.

I'm having too much fun going into practically every game in my Steam library and playing 5 minutes at a time.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

So, quick trip report - MGS2 PC with V's Fix seems to be a pain to get running on the Deck. This reddit poster claims to have got it working but it sounds like a level of tinkering beyond what I'm prepared to engage in: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/whhdfo/metal_gear_solid_2_vs_fix/ijoo4i9?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Kin posted:

So i'm trying to transfer files via one drive, but for some reason I can't seem to find or see the files I downloaded via firefox.

I set the desktop as the location and watched the files download. But nothing has shown up in the desktop and the file explorer can't see anything either. Anyone have an idea of what might have happened or how to fix it?

Clicking the "show in folder" icon in firefox's downloads doesn't do anything either, like it doesn't even bring up the desktop.

When I set the option in firefox to always ask where to save files, downloads wouldn't even trigger.

LMAO.

I was always critical of the decision to turn off folder view on the desktop by default, and this is why.

You can open the file manager and go to ~/Desktop. You can also right click on the (blank) desktop, select "Configure Desktop and Wallpaper…", then turn the wallpaper layout to Folder View, apply, and then select the location you want displayed.

But you should also store your downloads in Downloads :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Please, Konami, release MGS HD collection for PC. Please :negative:

And put SotN on Steam while you're at it :argh:

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Commander Keene posted:

What format are the ROMs in?

PKG.

Then again, never got the chance to try out some other methods on how to get it to work because the wife brought it with her a few days ago on a business trip.

On another note, are roms not really going to show up on your Steam profile's Recently Played for everyone to see? Would be cool to have that because I expect a lot of people to use the deck for that and not so much Steam-purchased games.

Disharmony fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 12, 2022

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Commander Keene posted:

I think there was a HD collection released for like PlayStation 3 or something,
It was also ported to the Vita, which is a straightforward way to play much of the MGS series.

Is Vita emulation a thing?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The installer format for PlayStation Vita? Yeah, that's your problem. Get .bin/.cue or .chd files, those are what Duckstation and retroarch recognize.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I have +900 games in my Steam account, most of them unplayed. Yet I spend all this time trying to optimize the emulator experiences on the deck. I don't know why I do this instead of just playing my Steam games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Grey posted:

I have +900 games in my Steam account, most of them unplayed. Yet I spend all this time trying to optimize the emulator experiences on the deck. I don't know why I do this instead of just playing my Steam games.

This is the true Steam experience.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I feel kinda bad that I bought Splatoon 3, loved it for about a month and then my Steam deck showed up and I've barely touched my Switch.

Don't have my Deck yet but this is sort of me already.

Been on a massive gaming lull this year - an 8 month old baby probably explains that - and the Switch pulled me back in to games in a big way recently. The Switch use case is what prompted me to order a Deck, only now I've now not touched my Switch again since I placed my order. Gaming is just on hold for me now until the Deck arrives.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anyone have issues with Steam Cloud not syncing on the deck? Did you manage to fix it?

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The vita ports of mgs2 and 3 are amazing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Lord Lambeth posted:

Anyone have issues with Steam Cloud not syncing on the deck? Did you manage to fix it?
I think it's just that the wifi card in the Deck isn't the best and sometimes gets like that for a while, you just have to keep trying and eventually it'll work.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

njsykora posted:

This is the true Steam experience.

I tell people I collect digital games, they don't understand. But I feel seen and validated here. Thank you.

I can't wait for my deck to get here Wedursday (when FedEx lays off the crack) so I cnsoaf up 10000s or roms and play 3 of them. And then also play steam games and ignore those for another new one.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The Grey posted:

"After those extra several minutes configuring stuff just right, Stretch Panic! looks and runs just perfect. It wasn't exactly worth setting up gyro aiming but it's neat and works surprisingly well. Now that the first boss is down, let's see how We <3 Katamari looks."

And again and again forever.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Atomizer posted:

For those asking for a battery bank, this one is on sale for $100. It's a ~premium~ option but it's got some nice features and is down to a price where I can recommend it for most people. It'll work for your phone, your Dreck, your Switch, and your non-gaming laptop.

Doesn't seem to be on sale for me. Maybe just in Canada?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Looks like it's just sold out. I've been wanting one of those since I saw it on the SD subreddit. Newegg's got 'em for $120 right now.

Meanwhile, my Deck finally comes today! You and me, tater, we're in this not-playing-games thing together.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 12, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

For real though don’t load up your Deck with your entire rom library, try and limit it to what you actually want to play so you don’t end up with choice paralysis. Then you might actually be one of the 50 people who’ve played an emulated game to completion instead of stopping as soon as you hit the first save point.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

From the deals thread:

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Brutal Legend is definitely worth $3.74 especially if you're a fan of metal and RTS games. Such a shame the demo was so misleading, it would have had much kinder reviews had it not been.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Please, Konami, release MGS HD collection for PC. Please :negative:

And put SotN on Steam while you're at it :argh:

I can't believe Sony hasn't been able to coax Konami into letting Bluepoint or whoever remake some of those older games. Do they not want free money?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Feel like I'm back to old PC gaming days hunting down every Steam key bundle and deal I can again

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I installed Pikmin to show my wife that I didn’t just buy another toy for myself.

Now the Deck is hers. ☹️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Now you get to be a double-decker household