Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

I think this is because for most Americans they literally can't imagine none car dependent urban design, it's like how fish don't notice water

I had a conversation with a colleague at work once about driving vs taking the bus and in the process he revealed he hadn't even thought of the buses/public transit as something political.

Like winter follows autumn and buses are worse than cars, just a fact of nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

withak posted:

You could basically just coast by at 10-15mph and let the kids roll out of the passenger side. Maybe put in a bed of sand or pea gravel to help break their fall.
Load the kids into zorbs, push them out the back

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Greatbacon posted:

I had a conversation with a colleague at work once about driving vs taking the bus and in the process he revealed he hadn't even thought of the buses/public transit as something political.

Like winter follows autumn and buses are worse than cars, just a fact of nature.

He is correct in a way because they are not "political" in the way most people think of that word. There is no Partisan divide to argue over, every political party is in agreement that everyone having their own car is a good thing.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

He is correct in a way because they are not "political" in the way most people think of that word. There is no Partisan divide to argue over, every political party is in agreement that everyone having their own car is a good thing.

One of the underrated lovely things about the two party system is that it means that things that the two parties don't disagree on just get defined out of politics. If the ranked choice voting people got their way the Dems and Reps would still probably dominate electorally. But at least it could create a niche for minor parties to turn things into political issues. As far as I can tell the whole point of the Lib Dem part in the UK is that they are a sort of vacuum that sucks up all the policies that have a constituency that is ignored by the two main parties. I'm not saying that the Lib Dems are the ideal of what a third party should be, but the fact that they can survive is probably better than a complete two party duopoly over everything.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://twitter.com/buttpraxis/status/1579873283885109248?s=20&t=sDrATizmRACb3bn-5UxFLQ

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

my neighbor who used to have a honda accord now has this lol

https://carbuzz.com/cars/porsche/cayenne/2022-porsche-cayenne-s

quote:

Although it commands a premium of almost $20,000 over the base Cayenne offering, there’s very little to differentiate the Cayenne S from that cheaper model. Only the color of the brake calipers, the difference in exhaust tip arrangement, and the addition of a panoramic sunroof give you clues as to this model’s enhanced performance. Still, once you realize that this model’s engine produces 434 hp and can achieve 164 mph, the premium seems justifiable.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 23:55 on Oct 11, 2022

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Saw this while I was out for a walk

mystes
May 31, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Imagine how much fun it would be if senior citizens were driving cars that would immediately reach 164 mph when they confused the gas and brake pedals

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Jogging in Houston, I saw someone riding a cargo bike with kids in the bucket. It was one of those cargo bikes with the cargo space in front of the rider. It's kind of astonishing to see so many more bikes since the pandemic. There is a notable amount of e-bikes in the last year. I also saw someone with a fancy golf cart on the street.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Saw this while I was out for a walk

It looks like a boxy lifted station wagon.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Not just bikes but also every other micromobility thing. I've seen so many odd kinds of scooters.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Drunk driver in a car killed a student on a ride share escooter. The city immediately leapt into action to address the problem!
https://twitter.com/Pflax1/status/1579920583340351488?t=oEBdf4pqNMiPWFXjBcoDYg&s=19

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

Drunk driver in a car killed a student on a ride share escooter. The city immediately leapt into action to address the problem!
https://twitter.com/Pflax1/status/1579920583340351488?t=oEBdf4pqNMiPWFXjBcoDYg&s=19

quote:

A crash report police says Howard was driving anywhere from 50-70 miles per hour when she hit Stratton. The report says witnesses in the area saw her swerve into the bike lane and hit him. She was also driving on the sidewalk.
Jesus loving Christ.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Brilliant response given that it wouldn't have been any different if he had been on a bike or walking on the sidewalk.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/_elkue/status/1580175819799830528?t=6YHMB24R7o8Cm_RvRC-JVQ&s=19

It's not legal to even drive a tractor trailer on this street, by the way, it's not a designated truck route.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Brilliant response given that it wouldn't have been any different if he had been on a bike or walking on the sidewalk.

I think they're missing the real culprit here, which is clearly the sidewalk.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

if ur in a car I hope that it turns into a freaking cannon and fires you out of it!!! !! I'm not even joking right now, I seriously believe that if you drive you should be fired out of a cannon because you're a freaking CLOWN!! !

drivers, they're the worst

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

eXXon posted:

I think they're missing the real culprit here, which is clearly the sidewalk.

what's it doing, just laying there next to the road?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
This wouldn't have happened if that bike lane and sidewalk was an additional car lane.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think things are generally improving and people are more in favor of non-car solutions these days, but it's still amazing that the pro-car solution to drunk driving is apparently a curfew for people not in cars.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The article ended with a bunch of admonishments for safety for scooter riders. The dude wasn't doing anything wrong, it's loving ridiculous.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
i bought a racing wheel / pedal / shifter setup for my PC and after minutes of use i remembered i fuckin hate driving

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I’m on a tram looking at all the dark red roads on Google maps

feels good man

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Better ban walking too

Apr 7, 2003

mystes posted:

Better ban walking too

they effectively did that already

I used to work in this suburban office / retail park, they abolished all bus service inside the park proper and limited it to this concrete island along the servicing freeway. You've got to walk from there through insanely pedestrian-hostile poo poo to your destination. Many of people who staff these restaurants and stores have to dodge getting murdered by their customers on the way to work.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cugel the Clever posted:

The other really frustrating thing about this one is virtually every headline describes it as a "scooter crash." It's not a loving scooter crash, it's a loving car murder.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Love the crosswalk to ???

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Auto violence is so common that the distinguishing factor is what kind of victim there was

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dog Case posted:

It really feels like malicious compliance sometimes

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It really feels like malicious compliance sometimes

This kind of poo poo is all over my neighborhood and it never fails to make me mad.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

only one street in my neighborhood has a sidewalk (and its only on one side of the street lol), and its in such bad shape, like multiple sections of it are warped and hosed up from tree roots and soil shifting. in most sections it's difficult to use a stroller, and some sections are outright impassable with like a six inch upthrust. not that bad if you are able bodied obviously but anyone in a wheelchair, or me when i am taking my kid fo ra walk in his stroller, have to go into the street. and of course like half the houses have their gigantic trucks blocking the sidewalk. sucks. houston ba.d.

Apr 7, 2003

Dog Case posted:

They refused to cut down on lanes on that highway overpass so you get to dodge traffic going over it. There's a sidewalk 500 feet down the line.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Pedestrians should avoid streets, crosswalks, bike lanes, and sidewalks for their own safety.

Apr 7, 2003

This is the only bus stop in the entire development

Then you get this lovely desire path heading over to that porkchop and overpass I posted earlier.

If you work on that side of the development, god help you

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
lol every time i see one of those keep an eye out save a life stickers for motorcyclists

:reddit: we’re not gay bicyclists our safety is different!

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

actionjackson posted:

It's funny that Porsche and Lamborghini are now just SUV companies that make sports cars as a side hustle, I don't get the point of buying an ultra powerful SUV, surely the centre of gravity is too high for handling to be good enough to take advantage of all that power. Though of course the answer is "they are never going to drive it that fast, it's just a status symbol that their car *could* do it".

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I don't get driving a powerful car as a daily driver. I couldn't use all the horsepower in my Corolla, even on the highway. Traffic is everywhere.

lobster shirt posted:

and of course like half the houses have their gigantic trucks blocking the sidewalk. sucks. houston ba.d.
Onerous parking minimum throughout the city blowing up the cost of construction with parking square footage greater than the rest of the building. Sidewalk minimum... eh.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Oct 12, 2022

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I don't get driving a powerful car as a daily driver. I couldn't use all the horsepower in my Corolla, even on the highway. Traffic is everywhere.

Onerous parking minimum throughout the city blowing up the cost of construction with parking square footage greater than the rest of the building. Sidewalk minimum... eh.

In general I dont get the boomer "oh I love driving my car, its freedom, just open road" and im like idk what the gently caress poo poo was like in the stone age but i've never seen an "open road" outside of like 2am-5am driving.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Ham Equity posted:

The other really frustrating thing about this one is virtually every headline describes it as a "scooter crash." It's not a loving scooter crash, it's a loving car murder.

one dead in a 7/11 crash after a suspected drunk driver drove through the doors and into the checkout counter. the local city council has responded by imposing a curfew barring the use and operation of convenience stores between the hours of 11pm to 7am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

silicone thrills posted:

In general I dont get the boomer "oh I love driving my car, its freedom, just open road" and im like idk what the gently caress poo poo was like in the stone age but i've never seen an "open road" outside of like 2am-5am driving.

The "public transport is bad because I don't want someone else to tell me where I have to go" argument also falls apart pretty quickly if you're mainly using your car to go to and from work and the shops. You're still letting the man tell you where to go but you've convinced yourself you haven't because you're doing it in a needlessly inefficient way.