Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Narsham posted:

Be honest, would the episode really be improved by a character explaining that the egg and dragon seem to be drawing mass from another dimension?

Well no, the fact that it has a three year old's understanding of how basic things like eggs and things that lay them work is ultimately the least of its problems, but it's the most obvious and on its face loving stupid of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

DoctorWhat posted:

It's because Chibnall doesn't believe in anything. Even his most ambitious episodes don't push the characters or have interesting conclusions because his ideal world is the status quo.

Dang I never thought of it like that but you're right

Chibnall is the Keir Starmer of DW Showrunners lol

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I have finished reading Doctor Who and the Daleks and overall I thought it was pretty decent. There are further significant differences from the television serial, some pretty bonkers and others pretty neat, but I’m going to apply spoilers to the content below in case anyone wants to experience it for themselves.

• Ian doesn’t figure out how to control the Dalek casing during the escape from their cell and move on his own, but he doesn’t have any issues escaping the casing while the Daleks are cutting through the door.
  • Temmosus has a much greater presence and is a much better orator than his TV counterpart. In fact, he actually gets the Daleks to stop and have a think about what he is saying and for a moment it seems like they are giving his words serious consideration. Doesn’t last though, all the Daleks fire on him at the same time.
  • The escape from the city is longer with significant Thal casualties.
  • To try and persuade the Thals to fight, Ian arranges a boxing match.
  • Barbara is really rude and hostile toward Ian. Turns out later it’s because she fancies the hell out of him. Tbh I always assumed Ian and Barbara were doing it in between their adventures.
  • The travellers have to fight off the mutations in the lake. Their description is is something between a giant spaghetti monster and Chaos Daemons from Warhammer 40,000.
  • Antodus doesn’t get to have his death as a heroic self sacrifice. Instead he makes the jump, slips on the creepers they’re using as rope, and falls off the cliff edge. The creeper breaks and he falls into the water below, where he is promptly eaten.
  • The Daleks are commanded by a glass Dalek in the main control room. The creature inside is clearly visible and for some reason is wearing the fluid link on a chain around its neck. :psyduck:
  • It also turns out the glass Dalek is literally made of glass (as opposed to some kind of sci fi transparent metal), as Ian charges it, smashes it to bits and promptly murders the gently caress out of the mutant formerly inside it.
  • Ian’s group learns the city is powered via hydroelectric power from the water drawn from the lake. A group is sent down to sabotage the generators to knock out the city’s power.

So yeah some stuff I really liked, such as Temmosus’ death and the desperate escape from the city, and the city losing power due to generator sabotage instead of a Dalek being shoved into a console. Other stuff like the boxing match, fluid link jewellery and tsundere Barbara is a bit odd to say the least.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed it and have managed to score some additional books from eBay. I am currently looking forward to reading:

Doctor Who and the Dalek Invasion of Earth
Doctor Who and the Tenth Planet
Doctor Who and the Cybermen
(The Moonbase)
Doctor Who and the Invasion

Yeah, not sure why all the books are called Doctor Who and the… but here we are.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Yeah, not sure why all the books are called Doctor Who and the… but here we are.

Need to keep branding consistent.

Stuff like this also leads to my favorite in-universe explanation for the title of the show, from "The Kingslayer" Big Finish story: Three wrote a bunch of books while stuck on Earth, named the series after himself and titled them all versions of "The Doctor Who..." (ie., "The Doctor Who Meets the Silurians"). But then, in the 23rd century (or whenever), only one corporation has the publication rights to all written materials ever, and they ended up losing the first "The" in translation/cataloging. So the book series (and by implication, the show) gets renamed to "Doctor Who". Way cleverer than Moffat's explanation for the title being "the question hidden in plain sight" and just shouting "Doctor WHO?!" over and over again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The insane part of that explanation is that the Third Doctor's license plate says WHO. He also, seperately, had a Whomobile.

Their name is Doctor Who. It always has been.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dr. who hates Pagans.

"Your religious site is actually just where all the villains put a big trap for The Doctor and your goddess is an egg."

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

Dr. who hates Pagans.

"Your religious site is actually just where all the villains put a big trap for The Doctor and your goddess is an egg."

Well, once you meet Satan (or a reasonable facsimile), your ideas change.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've mentioned this before, but I really wished Big Finish would stop hiring Nigel Fairs to do music for their audios. No matter the story, no matter the range, he uses the same piece of music over and over and it's so distracting every time I hear it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

The insane part of that explanation is that the Third Doctor's license plate says WHO. He also, seperately, had a Whomobile.

Their name is Doctor Who. It always has been.

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:
I much prefer the explanation that "they're a bit mad and will just call themselves Doctor Who sometimes because they're a bit odd", which I think really fits the character. Doesn't need an explanation really, it's just the name of the show

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Great Question... The eternal question... Asked from the beginning of time to the end of the universe... The question which must never be answered... "The Doctor Who Does What?! The Doctor Who Does What?!! The Doctor Who Does What?!!!"

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU

Dabir posted:

The Great Question... The eternal question... Asked from the beginning of time to the end of the universe... The question which must never be answered... "The Doctor Who Does What?! The Doctor Who Does What?!! The Doctor Who Does What?!!!"

The Doctor Who Discovers Historical Mysteries, of course!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Cruel Rose posted:

I love that story so much. Just so very clever, and some very well observed jokes -- like Peri being slightly wary of the Internet, calling it a "supercomputer from the future" which makes me laugh so loving much because that's exactly how 80's Who would conceive of the concept.

Plus it's technically a multi-doctor story with three Doctors, though the Ninth Doctor never actually appears physically in the play.

Nev Fountain took the little subplot about regeneration in this play and took it even further in a later River Song play; it goes to some genuinely horrific places. Great stuff.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I blame all three showrunners for NuWho being terrible, they all brought aspects of their particular type of awfulness to it :v:

I know this was on the last page, but I forgot to reply, "If only Pip and Jane Baker had been showrunners!" which led me to consider the bizarre alternate reality of the Pip and Jane Masterplan.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Having read Cartmel’s book Script Doctor, Chibnall feels like what having Pip and Jane Baker as showrunners would have been like. Fans who can write a middling story, but don’t… get it.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Having read Cartmel’s book Script Doctor, Chibnall feels like what having Pip and Jane Baker as showrunners would have been like. Fans who can write a middling story, but don’t… get it.

That's interesting. What in Cartmel's book led you to that? Just comparison? Or was he talking about Pip and Jane?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Coward posted:

That's interesting. What in Cartmel's book led you to that? Just comparison? Or was he talking about Pip and Jane?

Comparison based off Cartmel’s reactions to P&J. He doesn’t seem to like them much, and notes their stories always come across as middling at best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love that story so much.

When I first started listening to it, I didn't get why it had such a high reputation. Then the last couple of episodes it just goes completely off the rails in the most glorious fashion and ends up being such a delightful romp :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chibnall's final production notes

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Chibnall posted:

The whiteboard story grid for Eve of the Daleks. Production was catching up with us, and I had 24 hours to find a story that we could afford to make with one set, or lose the episode entirely.

Now this is the sort of production I expect from Doctor Who!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/okeechoBree/status/1580895304119111682

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I have a real thing for accurate but reasonably priced and sized Daleks for shelf ornaments. We were visiting friends in Norwich over the weekend and found these beauties.

They go nicely with my collection from an ill fated trip to Manchester 13 years ago.

Of course they look great in black and white.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

If you go to a B&M you might find a Planet of the Daleks set with a see through Dalek!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

1) :drat:
2) Did people like Kerblam! on broadcast? I know I didn't.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Edward Mass posted:

I only really post or read about Who in this thread, but I remember the thread consensus (as much as there ever is one) as "Hey, this is pretty good. I'm digging this, its not the greatest episode ever but some solid.... Wait, what the gently caress? This is how its ending? Well that ending was so bad its retroactively ruined the rest of the episode, this is some absolute horseshit right here. How do you fumble an ending this badly?".

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

If you go to a B&M you might find a Planet of the Daleks set with a see through Dalek!

Tell me I can get a Special Weapons Dalek too!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Coward posted:

Tell me I can get a Special Weapons Dalek too!

They’ve done one before a few years back, so the moulds are probably still available to them. They’re slowly going through the Dalek stories now, so I imagine they’ll eventually reach Remembrance at some point.

Sadly the Davros/Emperor Dalek mould is no more, which is an absolute shame because it’s super rare now. :saddowns:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Someone in the replies puts it really well, it spends most of its runtime feeling like a solid mid tier RTD episode then fucks it into the center of the earth at the end

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Cruel Rose posted:

God yes, one of my favorite and most listened to BF pieces. Just love the multi-doctor and time travel aspects, plus then it gets goofy as gently caress and I love every bit of it.

Richard becoming William Shakespeare in the end, just BEAUTIFUL

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

Yes to my great shame. I remember watching Kerblam!, having a great time, even posting when it was done,"I really enjoyed that!" and then it only took a few moments for me to go,"Hang on wait... the girl didn't come back... wait, the computer ACTUALLY murdered her in cold blood? What!?!" and that single string unraveled everything as I thought more about the fact the terrorist achieved all his goals successfully through terror, that the story was immensely pro-corporation, and the whole thing was actually deeply unsettling and really, really hosed up.

It's like the opposite of Demons of the Punjab, which has pretty poor acting, largely sidelines Yaz for what is supposed to be HER story, and is another example of the Doctor as an entirely passive character... but the episode is more than the sum of its parts, has a strong message that the actors clearly understand is important, and gives us a look at a shamefully underrepresented in media historical event (Ms. Marvel is the only other mainstream show I can think of that has discussed Partition).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I have a real thing for accurate but reasonably priced and sized Daleks for shelf ornaments. We were visiting friends in Norwich over the weekend and found these beauties.

They look like they are holding hands and staring into each other's eyestalks and in love. :allears:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I thought Kerblam! signaled its politics in the very first scene when the Doctor is super excited to get a package from Space Amazon, so when it turned out the computer killed the lady it was not particularly shocking. No, the worst thing about that episode if you told me I had to watch some Thirteen stories, it would probably be in my top five picks, seeing as how its story was borderline competent and it has the decency to be corporate propaganda throughout, instead of starting promising like Rosa and devolving into the worst lib poo poo.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astroman posted:

They look like they are holding hands and staring into each other's eyestalks and in love. :allears:

Dalek 1: DALEKS DO NOT FALL IN LOVE!
Dalek 2: ......WOW.
Dalek 1: ....CAN WE NOT DO THIS RIGHT NO-
Dalek 2: IT'S FINE! IT'S FINE! DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.
Dalek 1: CAN YOU WAIT TILL WE'RE NOT IN FRONT OF INFERIOR CREATURES?
Dalek 2: THEY ARE ALL INFERIOR CREATURES!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rochallor posted:

I thought Kerblam! signaled its politics in the very first scene when the Doctor is super excited to get a package from Space Amazon, so when it turned out the computer killed the lady it was not particularly shocking.

Agreed.

Side bar: The opening, where the Doctor gets a package delivered straight into her TARDIS, is probably a reference back to the similar start to The Greatest Show In The Galaxy. There, the Doctor is a bit annoyed to get junk mail, where the Doctor in Kerblam! is super excited to order things from Amazon.

And for some reason the Kerb!am man looks just like the bus conductor from the same story: https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Bus_conductor_(The_Greatest_Show_in_the_Galaxy)

Weird choice to have a story that's about the inevitability of capitalism repeatedly, and randomly, reference a story steeped in anti-capitalist sentiment.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Kerblam is the sort of episode that really falls apart on reflection, the question is more just when that reflection happens. I think this thread thinks about individual Doctor Who episodes harder and for longer than your average place/person that talks about Doctor Who, so we turned on it pretty fast as far as 'time since airing', but a lot of people got there eventually.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Kerblam was supposed to be anti-corporate but then they came up with a great "twist" that turned the thing into a massively pro-corporate thing.

I was one of the viewers that was initially OK with the computer being an unwilling baddie, because that meant even the infrastructure of the corporation had been corrupted by the influence of capitalism and it was all poo poo. Only that didn't turn out to be where they were going in the end.

Reading that last word from Chibnall makes me think that all his happiest memories involved casting and the people involved with the show's production. Lots of "loved seeing the expression on Jodie's face when" items. Almost nothing about the actual writing beyond the initial excitement with a writers room (not that I ever got a sense of a writers room process with what he produced). The show reads very differently if you imagine Chibnall trying to write scenes that his cast will enjoy playing instead of writing scenes about fictional characters or focusing on the audience. Looking forward to having the very audience-savvy RTD back, though I hope his sensibilities have kept up over the years and he doesn't end up taking us back 15 years. (I have hopes if Donna is back that he won't, but the jury is out.)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Dalek 1: DALEKS DO NOT FALL IN LOVE!
Dalek 2: ......WOW.
Dalek 1: ....CAN WE NOT DO THIS RIGHT NO-
Dalek 2: IT'S FINE! IT'S FINE! DO WHATEVER YOU WANT.
Dalek 1: CAN YOU WAIT TILL WE'RE NOT IN FRONT OF INFERIOR CREATURES?
Dalek 2: THEY ARE ALL INFERIOR CREATURES!
gently caress you for making me laugh that hard at something that profoundly silly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Narsham posted:

Kerblam was supposed to be anti-corporate but then they came up with a great "twist" that turned the thing into a massively pro-corporate thing.

Do we know this, or is this just a theory?

Because the vibe I get from the story, even before the twist, is that it's not anti-corporate so much as against "bad" corporations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Narsham posted:

Looking forward to having the very audience-savvy RTD back, though I hope his sensibilities have kept up over the years and he doesn't end up taking us back 15 years. (I have hopes if Donna is back that he won't, but the jury is out.)

I don't think we need to worry:

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/doctor-who-rtd-on-new-approach-to-younger-viewers-climate-change/

quote:

It's very interesting coming to Doctor Who now in 2022 where again, I want to provide optimism for that audience, and I mean, particularly, like a six-year-old watching it. I want to write optimism, I want to provide hope, but that speech seems hopelessly naïve now. I think you have to be more detailed now. You have to be more honest to get away with that speech now. You've got to talk about it. You've got to say we're going to flood, you've got to say the temperature's going up, or you're letting us down hugely."

"In 2005, I was trying to care for the audience and look after them. Now I'm in a position where I have to listen to that audience because those young viewers are active. They're engaged with this. They're passionate. It's their world. We'll be dead and gone. It's their world, and they're much more engaged. We live in an age where it's a vast Fantasy culture. It's The Lord of the Rings. It's Game of Thrones. It's Star Wars, Star Trek, it's everything," he said, addressing the fact that Doctor Who is part of this continuum. "This is a theory I've been working up at the moment: we channel all our fear and paranoia, and dread about what's to come into our fantasy dramas. The apocalyptic future is an absolutely bog-standard set in Science Fiction films. That's our conscience – it's gone into Fantasy pieces. If I open a drama with the Statue of Liberty toppled in a swamp, no one would be surprised. You wouldn't go, 'Ooo, that's amazing.' Everyone would go, 'Yeah, that's bog-standard Science Fiction.' We're channeling that anxiety to the fiction and not applying enough of that anxiety to the fact!"

To me, this shows that he isn't just doing this for a paycheck, as a caretaker to save the show and prep it for a new showrunner, or to repeat the past. He wants to do new and interesting stuff and be relevant. It's like he still has the passion for DW, took a 10 year break, and is revitalized and ready to continue with the same intensity. I am more excited that ever for next season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I am pumped for new RTD. Based on It's A Sin, he's still an incredible writer and I'm just hopeful he really learned the lessons from his last go as showrunner and doesn't end up in situations again where he's pumping out a first draft just so he can get something on the screen.

If nothing else, RTD's Who was never boring. Sometimes it was brilliant, sometimes it was astonishingly bad, but it was NEVER dull.