Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

ex post facho posted:

gonna tell other people's kids "yeah, Phoenix was a real place lol"

"But why???"

"Yeah I don't know the answer to that one it was just kinda there when I got here."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

It'll be Canada

They deserve it. Maybe they'll let us visit.

cant have a garden of eden without soil

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Failson posted:

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1579535796570554370?t=eoONhwUFyfkpYotpIQoCmA&s=19

Arizona and New Mexico getting the rain. Just gonna scream in my heart some more

CAwx

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Which regions and which decades?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Gripweed posted:

Which regions and which decades?

I believe the regions approach 100% as the decades approach five, maybe six

How long you planning to live?

Seatbelts
Mar 29, 2010
This is the warmest October i can remember on the west coast; it's like how September usually is.
Which means there will be either a completely non existence winter OR bone crushingly ice age poo poo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Seatbelts posted:

This is the warmest October i can remember on the west coast; it's like how September usually is.
Which means there will be either a completely non existence winter OR bone crushingly ice age poo poo.

Both, it'll be both.

In my experience the coldest LA will get happens around Christmastime, so roughly mid-Dec to mid-Jan. In the last decade I can remember there being heatwaves of like 85F in January. There's also the odd week where we get a taste of the polar vortex too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think I have seen some discussion about another year where the jet stream is kind of weird and that could cause colder weather to come south again, or maybe a 'polar vortex'

Probably worth mentioning that Texas has still done nothing about their power issues going into what could be another weird winter

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think I have seen some discussion about another year where the jet stream is kind of weird and that could cause colder weather to come south again, or maybe a 'polar vortex'

Probably worth mentioning that Texas has still done nothing about their power issues going into what could be another weird winter

Why would they? Those power issues mean big profits for the energy companies. They basically legalized Enron.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

SirPablo posted:

The Southeast does actually have a cooling trend...

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/us-trends/tavg/sum

No thanks

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
The Polar Vortex exists at all times. We're heading into a third La Niña winter, which should result in a warmer and drier winter across the southern half of the US. Lots of good stuff here:

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/blogs/enso

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

SirPablo posted:

The Southeast does actually have a cooling trend...

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/monitoring/us-trends/tavg/sum

loling that goons years ago were all about the climate proof PNW and saying that the despicable hicks of the south would get their due before 2020.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

*pops the cap off a Sharpie*

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

biceps crimes posted:

loling that goons years ago were all about the climate proof PNW and saying that the despicable hicks of the south would get their due before 2020.

Well isn't the egg and ash on my sweaty face!

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Dog Case posted:

Maybe don't name your city after the mythological creature known for burning to death

No see it's prophetic - every summer, the entire city infrastructure will spontaneously combust cause it's so hot, and each winter idiots will move back in and rebuild from the ashes.

Using federally backed insurance money ofc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

stealie72 posted:

Well duh. Not sure I'd call that breaking news.

Melting news maybe

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/status/1580249716318617600

No more wildfire season, just fire

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

1glitch0 posted:

Well isn't the egg and ash on my sweaty face!

https://youtu.be/dQx-H2av1PM

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
looks bad Todd.

https://twitter.com/CC_StormWatch/status/1580248675779227648

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

I skied from Camp Muir to about 8,500 feet last year on October 2nd on that "skiff of snow" they mention. Wildly different season. Wonder what this winter will bring.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Sound Mr. Brown posted:

Wonder what this winter will bring.

Death

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sure but warm death, cold death, or intermediate temperatured but just really windy death.

The details matter!!!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well yeah, that's a given

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
maybe this winter will be normal, like we remember from our childhoods.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stereotype posted:

:lol:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stereotype posted:

the problem is that every year is like the weirdest winter from their childhood

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Failson posted:

https://twitter.com/Weather_West/status/1579535796570554370?t=eoONhwUFyfkpYotpIQoCmA&s=19

Arizona and New Mexico getting the rain. Just gonna scream in my heart some more

i knew it was too cold. bastards. bring on the heat

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Stereotype posted:

Just because you remember the weather a certain way from your childhood doesn't make it normal.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

SirPablo posted:

Just because you remember the weather a certain way from your childhood doesn't make it normal.

sorry, the things that happened during my formative years are exactly how they have always and will always happen. it's called Science, a thing i trust

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

If you're younger than 50 you have no memory of a normal winter, they have all been freakishly hot. You have to read about winter in history books to know what normal was.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The early 90’s had +0.5C of warming from climate change and -0.5C of cooling from Mount Pinatubo so it seems average to me

(yeah, I know it’s not that simple)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you're younger than 50 you have no memory of a normal winter, they have all been freakishly hot. You have to read about winter in history books to know what normal was.
I'm 46 and grew up in upstate NY. I remember winter. Its been a minute though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You mean like playing in the snow and cross country skiing a few times before Christmas even hits?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Snow on Christmas was a myth created by Hollywood and hallmark to sell cards

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Nah, we took my southern cousins sledding on Christmas eve one time in the 80s.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I remember routinely getting major snowstorms right around Halloween every year in Denver

last year the first snow was Dec 10 :rubby:

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

ex post facho posted:

I remember routinely getting major snowstorms right around Halloween every year in Denver

last year the first snow was Dec 10 :rubby:

In 2020 DIA had an inch of snow on Sep 8.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SirPablo posted:

In 2020 DIA had an inch of snow on Sep 8.

I had to cover my 6' tomato plants with a couple huge tarps for that one. It then warmed back up and the tomatoes produced for another month. Couldn't save the watermelons tho

Thank you, tarps

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Bakers Cousin posted:

my mom grew up in the upper Midwest on a farm and then the twin cities in the 50s and 60s and we were talking about this

she remembers over the 50s/60s
[*] a major snow storm on Halloween
[*] a hard freeze screwing up crops in September
[*] a hard freeze screwing up crops in May
[*] Christmas with tons of snow on the ground
[*] Christmas that was just depressingly brown and so muddy everyone’s cars got stuck
[*] 60s in January
[*] -40s in January
[*] midwinter thaws followed by snap freezes that swung which made ice skating to high school the safest mode of travel by far

in general however the accumulated snow is less I. the last decade, with one major, absurd exception. the warmer extreme events are occurring more but it’s all within the range of living experience. it’s just, fluke events are happening once a year instead of once a decade. that does not bode well for the future, but that’s why “extreme weather” as proof of climate change can be downplayed by some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

stealie72 posted:

Nah, we took my southern cousins sledding on Christmas eve one time in the 80s.

in 1989 the southeast NC coast had over a foot of it on Christmas eve/morning. It extended allll the way inland...to stop short 20 miles of where I was living :smith: