Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

selec posted:

I can’t speak to TDD’s implications but it’s safe to say that how seriously a rape accusation against a powerful person is taken is a political decision , and not a moral one to our elites.

Yeah! Not just elites either. Despite four years of defund the police and me too, leftists voted for a rapist/cop ticket en masse. Although I’ll posit that the term “wokeism” is inherently cringe, the fact is that most regular people have sublimated the hollow utility of the movement already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yeah! Not just elites either. Despite four years of defund the police and me too, leftists voted for a rapist/cop ticket en masse. Although I’ll posit that the term “wokeism” is inherently cringe, the fact is that most regular people have sublimated the hollow utility of the movement already.

Hell, after decades of allegedly being the fiscally-minded, Christian party they went for Trump.

Picking either team is just deciding which sins and sons you gotta try and not think about. It’s a mug’s game, unless you don’t actually care about rape, say you do, and somehow benefit from voting. Or just think about it as harm reduction, despite the history of material conditions for the working class.

You gotta watch their feet, because they’ve spent a long time learning how to head fake you.

Edit: I do think politics is in general more fun for conservatives because they can imagine some classes of people they’re ok with having violence and misfortune on, so being disingenuous and pretending to care about a rape victim once in a while is just like a fun mini-game for them, because the stakes are nonexistent. For liberals that actually believe the stuff they say the cognitive dissonance must be much more present and difficult to manage, I’d guess.

selec fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 11, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

You think the people who support defunding police were big supporters of biden?

Mainstream democrats are at best center, some are rightwing. Its just that "the right" in this country is mostly waaaaaaay right

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jaxyon posted:

I mean we have a bunch of examples that show that Russia has tried to gain assets or use people in US politics including the Mueller investigation, and we've had some reps who were super duper big on promoting Russia issues for some reason. (Rohrbachre)

But people try to minimize it as liberal nonsense.

Now, was russia actually influential in US politics, or is it kind of sideshow and we're doing fine with fascism all on our own? That's where the real discussion is.

I'd say that it's mostly we're doing it on our own but not for lack of trying on Putin's part.

yeah, it is pretty cheap to buy a pet congressman or two, the big weighty asterisk comes in on claims the various pools of russian money are either 1. part of a russian government scheme as opposed to being private oligarchs buying subservience 2. trying to induce fascism as opposed to just pursuing their own locally corrupt goals or 3. more impactful than any of the domestic organizations pushing for the same outcomes.

that they exist, sure, no problem, but when you see takes like "BLM are Russian patsies" you're forcibly reminded it's really easy to proclaim everyone working at cross-purposes to you russian interference and call it a day.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

selec posted:

Edit: I do think politics is in general more fun for conservatives because they can imagine some classes of people they’re ok with having violence and misfortune on, so being disingenuous and pretending to care about a rape victim once in a while is just like a fun mini-game for them, because the stakes are nonexistent. For liberals that actually believe the stuff they say the cognitive dissonance must be much more present and difficult to manage, I’d guess.

I think that very few people who voted for Joe Biden think he is a rapist - in this random poll 16% of Democratic primary voters thought the sexual assault allegations against him were credible (and a large majority said they had heard about the allegations), and that was from May 2020 so there were six more months with no real press coverage before the election.
It's the same for Republicans, most of them don't think sexual assault allegations against Trump are credible.

For comparison this random poll shows 73% of Democrats saying sexual assault allegations against Andrew Cuomo were credible, 51% saying he should be impeached, and 61% of Democrats approving of his performance as governor, so it's not just voters automatically rejecting allegations against people they like.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

James Garfield posted:

I think that very few people who voted for Joe Biden think he is a rapist - in this random poll 16% of Democratic primary voters thought the sexual assault allegations against him were credible (and a large majority said they had heard about the allegations), and that was from May 2020 so there were six more months with no real press coverage before the election.
It's the same for Republicans, most of them don't think sexual assault allegations against Trump are credible.

For comparison this random poll shows 73% of Democrats saying sexual assault allegations against Andrew Cuomo were credible, 51% saying he should be impeached, and 61% of Democrats approving of his performance as governor, so it's not just voters automatically rejecting allegations against people they like.

i suspect that the part where the head of Time's Up was forced to resign in disgrace after her role in trying to cover up Cuomo's predations came to light played a part, tbh

the democratic party built a nice little clearinghouse for catch-and-killing stories of sexual harrassment it didn't want making it to a wider audience, and someone, somewhere, came to the conclusion it had outlived its usefulness mid-Cuomo.

god, remember back when the Tara Reade story broke, and "well, Time's Up refused to back her" was cited as firm evidence that Reade had to be making it up?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, had those exact same allegations been made about an older Republican, the same people who didn't believe it about Biden would largely believe it about that Republican.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

I wonder how they picked the new names? But this is unambigiously a good thing, first with renaming any public feature with the native slur sq** and now with refusing to honor literal traitors.

I am Native and I have no idea what you mean by sq**

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

HonorableTB posted:

Squaw, DOI recently changed a ton of place names that had the word in it. https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/interior-department-completes-removal-sq-federal-use

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

HonorableTB posted:

Squaw. The article I read, which I cannot now find of course, censored it like that. I just figured I'd copy it - even though I wasn't sure either what slur it was either.

Here's a article from Reuters about it: https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-completes-renaming-650-places-remove-derogatory-term-2022-09-08/

Twincityhacker fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 12, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
sqrt(-1)

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
A bit old, but I didn't see this covered: Justice, being full of cops, is a home to a mess of thinskinned whiners who hate any hint of oversight or transparency. Here, we have a thread from Jason Leopold about Justice's remarkably whiny response to the absurd suggestion that they pay the fees that Leopold incurred as he tried to get them to follow their legal obligations.

https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1577317818751537153
https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1577319808776798208
https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1577321937121837056
https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1577324550764736512
https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1577326471957204992
https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1577333449815314436
https://twitter.com/JasonLeopold/status/1577404587975139328

My personal favorite portion is:

quote:

Despite accomplishing almost nothing by filing this suit against EOIR, Plaintiffs seek to have the taxpayer finance it.

To which the only plausible reply is to point out that EOIR's willfully delayed response is the only thing that has or will cost the taxpayers money here. I can only imagine that dealing with Leopold and his requests is annoying as gently caress for state, local, and federal officials... but we all have the annoying aspects of the job and "fail to follow the law and whine to the courts" is a novel solution.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Leopold and Klippenstein could tell stories for hours about how the ruling class forces anybody doing any kind of reporting that afflicts the comfortable to keep a lawyer ready to sue early and often. Never trust a reporter who doesn’t have to maintain several ongoing court cases as a part of their work.

If you ain’t suing it’s because nobody considers your work a meaningful challenge.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Edit - nm

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/10/12/biden-says-he-doesnt-think-there-will-be-an-economic-recession.html

quote:

President Joe Biden said he doesn’t believe there will be a recession in the near future and if there is, he expects it to be a “slight” economic dip.

“Every six months they say this. Every six months, they look down the next six months and say what’s going to happen,” Biden said in an interview with Jake Tapper on CNN that was aired Tuesday, referring to recent economic projections by major U.S. banks.

“It hadn’t happened yet. It hadn’t... I don’t think there will be a recession. If it is, it’ll be a very slight recession. That is, we’ll move down slightly.”

This is going to bite him in the rear end, isn’t it?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Probably not before the election.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Aren't presidents basically supposed to be happy about the economy at all times

To the extent that what anyone says matters at all, I imagine the president saying a recession is coming/here is probably pretty bad for people's confidence in the future economy and their decisions on whether to buy or invest in things

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

joe football posted:

To the extent that what anyone says matters at all, I imagine the president saying a recession is coming/here is probably pretty bad for people's confidence in the future economy and their decisions on whether to buy or invest in things

Yup.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

It would look worse if he was going on about how wonderful everything is when it's very clear to just about everyone that it is very much not.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

joe football posted:

Yes but I think we got one of those rare moments where a president was being semi honest with us (when he said we might see a slight dip). Which is what everyone says they want isn't it?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Charliegrs posted:

Yes but I think we got one of those rare moments where a president was being semi honest with us (when he said we might see a slight dip). Which is what everyone says they want isn't it?

If everyone does indeed say that, presumably they also desire something more substantive than "it might dip I dunno"

It's a pretty flippant response, though I guess the powerful don't really care as it won't affect anyone actually important.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

Also, to be fair to Biden our economy is really loving weird at the moment.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Seems like the president saying "we're heading towards a recession" would create a self fulfilling prophecy.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Axetrain posted:

It would look worse if he was going on about how wonderful everything is when it's very clear to just about everyone that it is very much not.

Wasn't that their first move?
I don't think Biden directly came out and said it, but plenty of admin spokespeople were talking about how greatly things were improving while lots of people were getting financially hosed over. A lot of "Don't believe your lying eyes, there is no recession in Ba Sing Se"

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
There was a huge NYT expose a few weeks ago about Hasidic schools in New York - called Yeshivas - that had been failing to educate their kids at all for decades.

This included things like not being able to read or speak English when graduating from high school with 12 years of "English" classes, beating kids, and having 99% of their students fail a standardized test in 2021 when they were first required to participate. In addition, over 1/4 of graduates were chronically unemployed and unable to function in modern society - even when sticking entirely within the Hasidic community. People who left the community overwhelmingly ended up homeless and addicted to drugs and alcohol.

This lead to New York state removing the exemption that these religious schools had gotten. Now, they are bringing criminal charges against one of the schools.

Part of the reason they got away with it for so long is that Hasidic Jews are an extremely organized and strong voting bloc in NYC. So much so, that Mayor Eric Adams still wanted to certify the school being sued by the state as meeting requirements because he didn't want to get into trouble with the Hasidic community.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1580210840149446656

quote:

Hasidic School Is Breaking State Education Law, N.Y. Official Rules

In a profound challenge to New York’s private Hasidic Jewish schools, state education authorities have determined that a large boys’ school in Brooklyn is violating state law by failing to provide a basic education.

The ruling marks the first time that the state has taken action against a Hasidic boys’ school, one of scores of private academies that provide robust religious instruction in Yiddish but little instruction in English and math, and virtually none in science, history or social studies. It also served as a stern rebuke of the administration of Mayor Eric Adams, whose education department had recommended that the school be found in compliance with a law requiring private schools to offer an education comparable with what is offered in public schools.

The decision, which was issued last week by commissioner Betty Rosa and has not been previously reported, stemmed from a lawsuit brought by a parent against the school alleging a lack of secular education. The ruling requires city education officials to work with the school, Yeshiva Mesivta Arugath Habosem, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, to come up with an improvement plan, something that many Hasidic schools have long fought to avoid. State officials will have final say over that improvement plan, putting additional pressure on city officials who have previously avoided intervening in the schools.

A spokesman for the city Department of Education did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

But the potential ramifications extend further than a single school. The ruling could be a harbinger of significantly tougher oversight of Hasidic schools, and could open the door for more lawsuits or complaints about those that might not be complying with state law.

“The state did right,” said Beatrice Weber, a mother of 10 who brought the suit against her youngest child’s school and has since left the Hasidic community. “Hopefully now things will actually change.” Ms. Weber was recently named as the leader of Young Advocates for Fair Education, a group that has pushed for more secular education in Hasidic schools.

The decision will also provide the first test of a new set of state rules aimed at regulating private schools, including Jewish schools, known as yeshivas, which, like other religious schools, have largely been allowed to operate without government oversight for decades. Those regulations, which went into effect just two weeks ago, hold that schools that do not follow state law could lose their public funding.

Hasidic leaders waged fierce opposition to the new rules before they were approved by the State Board of Regents last month, casting them as an existential threat to the community. Earlier this week, a group of yeshivas and their supporters sued the state over the rules. Many of the plaintiffs were non-Hasidic schools that provide secular education and would likely not be affected by the regulations. The lawsuit has not been previously reported.

“Yeshivas are the central and irreplaceable pillar of the Orthodox Jewish life in New York,” reads the lawsuit, which seeks to have the regulations overturned.

On Wednesday, a spokesman for one of the groups that filed the lawsuit, the Parents for Educational and Religious Liberty in Schools, defended Yeshiva Mesivta Arugath Habosem.

“Educators from the city’s Department of Education visited the school several times and determined that it met the substantial equivalence standard,” said the spokesman, Richard Bamberger, referring to the state law. “It is disappointing that political appointees at the state education department won’t accept the city’s findings.”

Last month, The New York Times reported that more than 100 Hasidic boys’ schools in Brooklyn and the lower Hudson Valley have collected at least $1 billion in taxpayer dollars in the past four years, but many have denied their students a basic secular education.

The Times found that Hasidic boys’ yeshivas that take state standardized tests perform worse than any other school in New York State, and that religion teachers in many of the schools have frequently used corporal punishment to enforce order, hindering learning.

Yeshiva Mesivta Arugath Habosem, which has an enrollment of about 500 boys, received more than $4 million from the government during the last year before the pandemic, records show.

In her ruling, Ms. Rosa said that New York City education officials had recommended in July that the school be found in compliance with the law, but she rejected that suggestion.

The commissioner wrote that the school declined to allow a visit from state education department officials last month, and repeatedly declined to offer evidence that it was complying with state education law, even after Ms. Rosa warned that previous visits to the school conducted by city officials did not prove that the school was offering instruction in all required subjects.

She said that observations she received from city officials in fact indicated that the yeshiva does not offer sufficient instruction in English, social studies or science. The school’s math instruction appeared to be better, but was still not on par with what is offered in public schools, as is required by state law, Ms. Rosa said. The commissioner wrote that the yeshiva administers state exams in English and math, but that the “vast majority” of the students across grade levels failed the exams, and scored much lower than the average for city public schools.

City officials did not provide enough evidence to back up their claims, and they did not appear to investigate specific claims Ms. Weber made about the school, Ms. Rosa wrote. “Neither of these deficiencies promote confidence” in the city education department, she wrote.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

However hosed up you think those hasidic schools are, multiply it by 10 and you'll still be surprised with how hosed up they are. It is layers and layers of unreal "how the gently caress did they get away with this for so long" stacked on top of each other

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

What exactly is their motivation for harming their own community like that?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

pencilhands posted:

This about the schools or Fox News?

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

pencilhands posted:

I imagine a big part (consciously or not) of it is that it makes their kids completely unable to escape their community. If someone wants "out," how could you possibly go anywhere else when you don't speak the language / have any skills anyone would be willing to pay for.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

I imagine a big part (consciously or not) of it is that it makes their kids completely unable to escape their community. If someone wants "out," how could you possibly go anywhere else when you don't speak the language / have any skills anyone would be willing to pay for.

Pretty much this. By giving the kids a lack of education that they need to cope in the big bad secular world they are forcing the kids to stay in the community. It's pretty much cult logic at this point

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

PoopShipDestroyer posted:

It's this. The entrenched powers within the community maintain a stranglehold on the youth, who grow up uneducated and unemployable for the most part, but able to vote in the direction the leaders want and who can draw public benefits (particularly given the social pressure for large families), which then stay in that community and perpetuate the cycle.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

uPen posted:

This about the schools or Fox News?

The Hasidic schools.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

pencilhands posted:

Control.

If you can't function outside the community you can be used in all sorts of ways for the people in power. Low wages, social shunning to keep you in line, block voting to keep things running the way they want it to run, etc.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I suspect that the setup may also allow them to funnel large amounts of the public funding elsewhere.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
A reminder that these ultra orthodox/Hasidic communities all follow a single chief rabbi who acts as the head of the community and his word is law. That is why the rabbi says "vote for this person/not that person" and the members will do what he says because he is the ultimate religious (and that is all there is) authority.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

pencilhands posted:

Hasidic communities, especially recently with the new york area courts, are vehemently insular and so strictly observant that the majority of their practices are intentionally isolating. The leadership has doubled down on intentional isolation from the perverse secular world by banning internet access, cellphones, and any non-religious books from family homes. Men have to devote so much of their waking hours to religious study that they almost can't do anything else. Women are put under practically medieval restrictions and obligations as servants to their husband and have to pump out kids endlessly while handling all domestic tasks AND have to do a lot of the money earning so the father can stay doing endless religious study AND have a bunch of rules enforced on them to make them as invisible as possible AND have to follow a bunch of rules that make the mundane domestic tasks very time consuming. Kids get beaten like It's going out of style. Poverty is rampant because of the religious obligations mentioned above. Married women are frequently in need of very complex escape and sheltering needs, because leaving marriage is something that gets discouraged in nearly all cases, including ones with substantial abuse, and divorce is heavily shamed. So a lot of the women who leave are fully and vehemently cut off from support in the only community they've learned to survive in (by designed isolation). Marriages are usually arranged and happen as early as possible, and the hasidic community was one of the most strongly opposed to be laws banning child marriage.

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

I suspect that the setup may also allow them to funnel large amounts of the public funding elsewhere.

It's always this. Every single time I see a push for school vouchers or parents choice in education, especially when religious freedom is involved, it boils down to "How can we live rent free on the public's dime."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

kzin602 posted:

It's always this. Every single time I see a push for school vouchers or parents choice in education, especially when religious freedom is involved, it boils down to "How can we live rent free on the public's dime."

They got a lot of money from SNAP for kids and NYC set up a special program that paid for their busses to school.

But, other than that, they didn't actually get a ton of public money. There were no vouchers or anything.

It was entirely about protecting their worldview/lifestyle from the secular world and a huge fear (even among some non-Ultra Orthodox Jews) that Jewish culture (and for them, specifically NYC Hasidic culture which doesn't exist anywhere else in the country) is dying.

Most of them live in extreme poverty and the Yeshivas have a higher poverty rate and a lower test score average than even the poorest and worst performing public schools in NYC. It's very much about maintaining the traditional culture and society and control over making sure people don't leave.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Keep in mind that almost everyone in the Hasidic community is descended from Holocaust survivors, which goes a long way towards explaining (not excusing, of course) why they're so vehemently opposed to anything secular threatening to infringe on their way of life.

Reupping the Ask/Tell thread from about 10 years ago about a Satmar woman who left the community, an absolutely incredible read: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391326&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

ninjahedgehog posted:

Keep in mind that almost everyone in the Hasidic community is descended from Holocaust survivors, which goes a long way towards explaining (not excusing, of course) why they're so vehemently opposed to anything secular threatening to infringe on their way of life.

Reupping the Ask/Tell thread from about 10 years ago about a Satmar woman who left the community, an absolutely incredible read: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3391326&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Seconding this A/T thread. I read it a while ago and it is very interesting.

The ultra-orthodox, hasidic, haredis, and kibbutzniks are basically like entirely different civilizations from most modern reform and conservative Jews. There's even huge tensions between those groups and your average Israeli in Israel.