Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

rotinaj posted:

Was informed that the ceo of my stupid company had considered a full clean slate fire-everybody, hire-fresh situation

Lol gently caress this place, gotta gtfo

Sounds like they're eager for their golden parachute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

If this is anything like Élan School then that kid is absolutely stuck, and with the blessing of the state.

Here's an ongoing comic memoir about Élan School. It is both informative and :nms:, cw: kidnapping, verbal and physical abuse of children, gaslighting

In short, gently caress that guy. Please do everything to make his life miserable.

From two pages back, but I just want to say gently caress you for making me fall into this hole of reading about / listening to podcasts about horrible schools. :stonk:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lazyfire posted:

Unless you're cleaning out the front office of a sports franchise it just doesn't make sense to clean-slate a company. Every place I've worked has had Standard Work/Work Instructions that are supposed to make it so you can grab some rando and make them into a somewhat productive team member, or at least one who can work mostly on their own by following the guides. The problem with that concept is that nothing is ever as clean as the work instructions make it and there are a ton of details, processes and shortcuts that are left off of those sheets for a variety of issues and those become institutional knowledge. For example, at my current job if you have an invoice that doesn't pay out you need to contact a specific person who will override the blocks. Our branch of the company alone is like 10,000 people all of whom rely on this one woman to clear things up when this happens, and I only found out she was the person to talk to because we ended up in the same training shortly after I joined and I complained there was no way to fix unpaid invoices to the instructor. It's absolutely crazy to think you can just find new people to fill roles and functions based off the current knowledge base. Any company more than a few years old is going to have hidden knowledge and people taking on functions not in their job description, so wiping out the entire roster is just asking for problems.

Almost everything at the drug factory was tribal knowledge, there's no way to read an SOP about making an aseptic connection in a cleanroom and do it properly without watching people do it many, many times prior. Also most of the SOPs were maintained by people who were long-gone, and getting put in charge of an SOP required a change request approved by the company, affected customers (anything fac or basic proc related means all customers, lmao) and affected regulators (again, lmao); then every change (like correcting out in the open illiteracy) had to be change-requested the same way. In the end you had a bunch of half-useful SOPs and a requirement to keep certain people around regardless of what they were doing because of what they knew, and they absolutely leveraged that at a company whose primary function was not making injectable drugs, but firing people.

A clean-slate termination/hire approach would have made a validated pharmaceutical production facility useless, forever, and the management knew it, as did every new owner that came in every 1.5-2 years that I worked there; and that's how it remains as permanently toxic as it was in the 80's to this day.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 12, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

champagne posting posted:

that can’t possibly work for any kind of institution right?

Hockey Canada is in the process of doing the inverse, where the C-suite and Board all got turfed (for keeping a multi-million dollar hush fund to pay off victims of sexual assault by Hockey Canada players).

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pyrtanis posted:

Sounds like they're eager for their golden parachute

Nah, it’s worse than that. I have to be a little vague, but i work in a small startup science lab that had a good mission, but has been slowly bleeding out from what i think was a lethal wound last december or so, when nearly all the c-suite staff quit or began to leave. The ceo has been scrambling ever since to get things back on course, but when your chief science officer just up and bails, it’s very hard to keep running a lab.

He is an egotistical schmuck with little king syndrome who has a bachelor’s degree and no lab experience, but since he has the degree, he gets wild ideas and we have to try to make it work, even when the idea is dumb and wrong. He also notably asked his lawyer in a meeting with an employee “can we use her mental issues to just fire her right this second?”, and was surprised to find the lawyer say “well, not now that you said that”. He turned down a buyout from an extremely large company because they wanted him to take a golden parachute and leave since he’s a fuckup. But this is his little kingdom.

When i joined the lab, he gestured to me and said “look, we’re growing”, except i was one person replacing two. Now we have gone from an 8 person lab down to 3, and they keep changing the number of how many employees they want to hire.

Oh, and six days of PTO per year, with an ultra slow accrual rate. That always makes people go “rotinaj, why are you still at this job”, and i say “sorry, what? I was busy applying to jobs.”

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

My brother was in pretty much that exact situation at a startup science lab that lied to investors about nanoparticles.

He got the gently caress out while the getting was "good," right around the start of the general collapse after his boss bought a Tesla Series X.

He's a microbiologist so he turned that into a union job with classified employment for the water authority analyzing poo poo samples at the poo poo factory and gets paid good and has a job for life, so there is greener grass.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Oct 12, 2022

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I had a really good set of interviews last week with an extremely lucrative pharma company, and am just waiting for them to interview their other candidates and tell me yes or no. Waiting for it sucks, and i may have priced myself out of the job asking for too much pay, but i’d love to get that one.

Also had a decent interest interview a few minutes ago with a recruiter. Something’s got to work, i need to get the gently caress out of here

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Yeah. Good luck, friend. Not that it's tlat the same level but I know that feeling of having a boss who has like a vague idea of what you do ask for the impossible, have them insist when you tell them why it won't work, then have to do it anyways "just to see" or whatever, and have your predictions come true. It sucks and it's draining. I hope you can find something much better soon!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

rotinaj posted:

I had a really good set of interviews last week with an extremely lucrative pharma company, and am just waiting for them to interview their other candidates and tell me yes or no. Waiting for it sucks, and i may have priced myself out of the job asking for too much pay, but i’d love to get that one.

Also had a decent interest interview a few minutes ago with a recruiter. Something’s got to work, i need to get the gently caress out of here

From the sounds of it things are in motion and you'll find something sooner rather than later! Here's to hoping! I hope you give your boss an aneurysm when you walk!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

rotinaj posted:

I'd take non-pharma over pharma any day if you don't like what you're dealing with now. All the people I worked pharma with have sworn it off at this point, a few after 2-3 more pharma jobs. YMMV, though.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

insta posted:

I have two strong leads on competing jobs with a 20% raise from where I'm at, interviews over the next 10 days. Will be able to safely leverage the current place for the same, or pull the lever to the same kind of work for comfortably more.

Nothing feels quite as amazing and affirming as being in the cat-bird seat. Good for you!

History Comes Inside! posted:

I feel a little bad for my team because some of them were genuinely upset I’m leaving and they are going to be endlessly hosed with now I’m not there to run interference between them and upper management’s micromanaging bullshit, but I gave a few of the good ones my personal number and I’ll be angling to line up jobs for them once I get settled back into my old place in a couple of weeks.

Live and learn!

Extremely righteous. Also good, because they're the "devil you know" and who doesn't want to surround themselves with competent people?

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 12, 2022

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The lab side of pharma companies kind of sucks since they mostly realized they can just acquire biotech start-ups to outsource most of the risks of doing drug development research. Pharma companies are mostly sales and marketing now.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i recently learned that instead of setting margin, sales and EBITDA goals based on past performance- twenty years of data that the company has been in business and has access to- they worked backward, starting from what they wanted their annual profit to be. :pwn: this explains why we aren't hitting our targets or getting any bonuses. i thought they were just idiots but this is 100% by design

we met yesterday about how to close 32 million in business in Q4 when 23 million is the best the company has ever done. just...never trust an MBA. never met one worth a plug nickel

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

boar guy posted:

i recently learned that instead of setting margin, sales and EBITDA goals based on past performance- twenty years of data that the company has been in business and has access to- they worked backward, starting from what they wanted their annual profit to be. :pwn: this explains why we aren't hitting our targets or getting any bonuses. i thought they were just idiots but this is 100% by design

we met yesterday about how to close 32 million in business in Q4 when 23 million is the best the company has ever done. just...never trust an MBA. never met one worth a plug nickel

Success based planning, they plan for the end goal rather than a successful execution. It's the biggest weasel phrase I've encountered.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

McGavin posted:

The lab side of pharma companies kind of sucks since they mostly realized they can just acquire biotech start-ups to outsource most of the risks of doing drug development research. Pharma companies are mostly sales and marketing now.

While these are all fair points, the job interview that went well was at a biotech startup that got acquired by a big pharma compny, lol

It won’t necessarily be good, but uh, capitalism never is

My dream job was to work as a wetlands restoration ecologist to work on the health of our waterways and water supply, because what society would knowingly let their own water supply get ruined, right? Ha ha

:negative:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Success based planning, they plan for the end goal rather than a successful execution. It's the biggest weasel phrase I've encountered.

seems pretty great (for the owner) when bonuses are at the owner's discretion!

open book management my left fucken nut

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

boar guy posted:

That sound familiar. I was once tasked with upping my sales from $7 million to $10 million in a year, $12 in two because I had come in and immediately boosted sales by $2 million so the thought was I could just do that forever. Because I had the largest product line by volume the entire BU's bonuses were reliant on me topping my/the product line's best year. I asked for help because I was already overstretched and got told that if I hit the target I would get some assistance. Even I knew that the goals were impossible on my own and pretty much gave up. I got a 0.01% raise that year despite the record numbers, bringing me up to $50,165.23 in salary. Why would I run myself ragged to make the company more money than they ever expected from the product line if they weren't going to compensate me realistically?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Almost every job posting in my field now has some variation of 'strong Lean background’ in it and I’m just wondering where they found all these goldfish who don’t remember what happened over the last two years when you’re running lean and you have supply chain disruption.

Oh well I’m sure it will never happen again.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I'm always a fan of the completely bizarre coworkers. A few years ago we had a guy at my store that we immediately dubbed Conspiracy Theory Kid. Any crazy-rear end rumor going around Facebook? Dude bought it 100%. Alex Jones said some poo poo? He's telling us all the next day. He worked with us when the Las Vegas shooting happened, the day after he was on shift with me and told me "Yeah that was totally fake." I played along and asked him how he knew, he told me "Because they don't make guns that shoot that fast."

A few weeks later he ran across some thing on Facebook that Trump was going to shut off the national power grid to test emergency response or some poo poo. He bought in on this HARD and was telling everyone how it was going to be the end of the world, and he should be with his family when it happened. He ended up vanishing, and we found out he just up and hitchhiked to Kentucky or something to ride out the apocalypse with his folks.

I felt bad for him, obviously had some mental poo poo going on. But it's hard not to poke the weird sometimes. He wasn't unsettling-crazy or anything, just really really gullible and dumb. I can only imagine how he handled 2020.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

a boss who has like a vague idea of what you do ask for the impossible, have them insist when you tell them why it won't work, then have to do it anyways "just to see" or whatever, and have your predictions come true

I am always amazed at what people can get away with when they don't know poo poo but are confident and have good numbers. Back in the litigation support industry I worked with a salesman who was dumb as loving rocks and a total rear end in a top hat, who regularly sold things that are impossible or don't exist (I'm pretty sure Summation STILL doesn't take PDFs), but got away with it because he had good sales numbers and his brother also worked for the company.

But this has absolutely been a ruling principle in the brewing industry for me, working for small (or in a few instances, very large) companies where the owners know very little about running and operating a brewery but still think they know better than their brewers. The amount of time, effort and ingredients I've seen wasted in the name of ignorant owner hubris is incalculable.

It's even worse when they take credit for your good ideas that actually worked, and still treat you like a dumbass.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

One place I worked had a skeevy janitor who liked to do nude wizard poo poo out in the forest with his hambeast wife who also worked there. He got fired when he tried to get my lesbian boss to join him by showing her pictures of his nude wizard hijinks. His wife got fired when she vandalized another manager's car because she thought he was the one who told HR.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

rotinaj posted:

While these are all fair points, the job interview that went well was at a biotech startup that got acquired by a big pharma compny, lol

It won’t necessarily be good, but uh, capitalism never is

My dream job was to work as a wetlands restoration ecologist to work on the health of our waterways and water supply, because what society would knowingly let their own water supply get ruined, right? Ha ha

:negative:

Lol, dream jobs.

That's my dream job too so I feel your pain. Are you in the USA?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RocketMermaid posted:

It's even worse when they take credit for your good ideas that actually worked, and still treat you like a dumbass.

Aha...ahahaha... hahahahahaha! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH! God. Major flashbacks to the place I left three years ago. I recently found out through his supervillain like PR interview answers that he gave recently that he blames me for "freezing him out of the Osaka market". It couldn't possibly be because after I left he never hired anyone with professional experience, refuses to stick to a production schedule (leading to constantly tossing first generation yeast), insists on using liquid yeast, and will just insists the brewers make random beers with insane perameters and seemingly random adjuncts within a fairly tight deadline. Also he added lemon juice to the American pale ale that sold pretty well when I was there but he kept putting off production because it wasn't "interesting". Pretty sure it was added pre or mid fermentation because it tasted like puke. I'm sure expanding from 500 to 2k liter facility with a big ol' canner and another smaller canner for the previous facility because he just couldn't wait to start canning within three years of opening without a significant increase in sales didn't help either. That shithead loves taking credit for other's work. It's loving weird how many interviews he gives about operating a brewery when he has zero knowledge on the subject. In the interviews it becomes clear he idolizes tech morons like Steve Jobs and Elon Musk, and thinks of himself as being one of them. gently caress, when I was there our sales in Osaka (where the brewery is) sucked because he pushed out an inferior product before he hired someone with experience (me). I managed to increase it a little but I think most bar owners just found him off-putting and unreliable so they eventually dropped him. His attempt to blackball me and get me in trouble with immigration when I put in my notice probably didn't help.

Or the place I worked at before for 4 months because the owner and manager would immediately say yes to any orders without checking stock and the owner was so obsessed with any profit no matter how short term he'd keg and bottle beers after less than two weeks in the tank. Then he'd ask why we had a diacetyl problem. Every time I explained it he'd agree and walk it back for some reason. My favorite one was when he'd just found out about yeast autolysis in some conference and used that as a reason to package ASAP. Also the place was an OSHA nightmare. Exposed wires for pumps we had to place on the wet floor and a cold room with boxes of bottles and corny kegs stacked sky high. They also recently went from 600 to 2k liters and he's exporting to like 10-20 countries because there has been no increase in demand domestically.

At least now the only albatross around my neck is this loving mix juice smoothie sour session IPA Frankensteined together nightmare. That's at least become more manageable as I've been given more room to expand the lineup and vary our offerings. Sales on it have slowed but it's sort of a flagship at this point but they don't get that a.) Gimmick beers like this work better as seasonal or limited releases and b.) Low alcohol means lower sweetness, and that combined with the fruit puree makes it kind of watery. Bottling it on our setup is also kind of a nightmare. Just got photos of bottles that had hosed up fill levels that were sent out. It's ultimately my responsibility, but it's difficult to run the machine and keep at eye on fill levels. The guys helping aren't brewers or anything so they aren't great at checks. It's a relatively small gripes. Hopefully we can get this sorted eventually.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 12, 2022

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

boar guy posted:

Well, yeah? We have had some early target setting meetings for next year, where we tried to explain the market conditions to the big boss, he listened thoughtfully while we explained that the market is declining and we’d be lucky to match prior year, and he says “yeah, your growth target is x%, so you’ve got to find that from somewhere”

2023 is going to be an absolute nightmare

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
In my job, I get 3-8 (typically 6ish) work orders a day, and for simplicity I will say they come in two flavors: Process D (old and trusty), and Process H (new). We're slowly transitioning to Hs but right now they're about 50/50.

Just recently, my work started putting out automated emails "you forgot to do Process D for this work order!", which is great, but the auto mails come for all H work orders too. So every day I get 1-4 spam emails from work, with more coming as we transfer more to Hs in general. Their solution is "yea we're working on it, just ignore them for the time being". It's been 2 months now.

Welcome to the 'sort this mail type to trash' outlook rule, ya bozos.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We got a reminder to log into our HR portal and complete our self assessment for the year. By the looks of, its the standard review given by our managers, but now we do it to ourselves?
It honestly seems like they hosed something up, as it looks like we are filling in the manager's fields, and then they comment on it. Pretty much in reverse to how it should go.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

The place I worked at in Denmark kept putting lagers with two-week turnarounds on the schedule, which I refused to do in fewer than four. The owner wouldn't let me fix obvious fuckups in the recipes, like the hazelnut extract in our brown ale that tasted godawful to every single brewer and customer who tried it but he insisted on keeping it in to "have a beer that tastes like Nutella".

Brett Porter, the brewmaster brought on to Goose Island after the AB-InBev buyout, hosed up half the flagship beers, put on his own beers that had obvious year-one homebrewer mistakes like an Octoberfest with 30% crystal malt, bought multiple expensive "toys" that failed and hosed up major processes (the automated barrel wand system he bought was unreliable and way slower than the Bulldogs that had been just fine for decades beforehand, and it took weeks of the barrel department documenting time differences before it was abandoned to the land of wind and ghosts), and took credit for things other people succeeded at. The brewhouse turned over 80% of its staff in one year, and I never saw management blink until me and another brewer gave our notice on the same day. He got "promoted" to a position where he couldn't do any harm, but Goose has absolutely not been the same since.

Another brewery pretty much straight-up pushed me out of the company after I came out as trans.

The last brewery I worked at in Chicago, the owner kept trying to insist that the other brewer and I do incredibly stupid things like brew a peanut butter/blueberry stout and put it in Tabasco barrels, which we pretty much just ignored. But he was notoriously bad at paying bills, sometimes leaving us without malt or spent grain bins or even ingredients. One time I almost walked because my direct deposit didn't go through and he was "at the bank" until 8:30 at night getting everybody's checks. He also listened in on conversations I had with other people and repeated my ideas like they were his.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I got my job to agree to a significant raise, but man my boss is a basket case.

They literally recruited our everybody in our department advertising "work-life balance", but our boss works 80+ hours a week. He gets snippy people "clock watching", and got upset because he thinks training on products we support shouldn't be "work time". I think I spend more time being a therapist than doing actual job duties.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

RocketMermaid posted:

"God" "drat"

Are all brewing operations run by perfect failsons? Basically all but one story I've heard out of the industry make it sound like absolute hell

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You will never attain work-life balance working under a "live to work" psychopath.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It is full of hobby-brewers who have some money to invest. The kind of people who open restaurants because they enjoy a bit of cooking. Occasionally one succeeds, but they do it building on top of the corpse pile that is a large portion of start-ups.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

goatface posted:

It is full of hobby-brewers who have some money to invest. The kind of people who open restaurants because they enjoy a bit of cooking. Occasionally one succeeds, but they do it building on top of the corpse pile that is a large portion of start-ups.

Do the needful and post the article of the terrible person who had barely seen a restaurant from the inside and decided to put all his money into one

You know the one, it's the one where the air-conditioner just runs tap water through its heat exchanger and then sends it straight into the drain.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CitizenKain posted:

We got a reminder to log into our HR portal and complete our self assessment for the year. By the looks of, its the standard review given by our managers, but now we do it to ourselves?
It honestly seems like they hosed something up, as it looks like we are filling in the manager's fields, and then they comment on it. Pretty much in reverse to how it should go.

No that sounds right. Reviews are a metric that must be done but are ignored so why invest time into them?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Enos Shenk posted:

I'm always a fan of the completely bizarre coworkers.

I felt bad for him, obviously had some mental poo poo going on. But it's hard not to poke the weird sometimes. He wasn't unsettling-crazy or anything, just really really gullible and dumb. I can only imagine how he handled 2020.

Mine was a guy who told me I had a positive aura (thank you), had strange associations with numbers I can't really remember, and told me one day that he knew I was a god-spirit meant to lead.

Saying all the things I wanted to hear, obviously, but he freaked me out and I told leadership. He was canned because the (female) CEO did not like how he cornered young female employees to tell them about their numerology, aura colors, and the music only he could hear.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Just thinking about that time I got fired/quit for not allowing a private party to defraud an arcade I worked at.

I don't exactly remember what happened but I worked at one of those arcade/family fun centers (think Chuck E Cheese but a slightly older target demographic). It happened very rarely because it was probably super-expensive, but someone rented out the entire arcade.

At this party we turned everything on auto-play that we could, and gave out unlimited tokens. We did declare ahead of time that they could play the prize machines, but since the tokens were unlimited, we would not be giving out prizes. In hindsight, considering the cost of renting that facility out and the cost of the prizes themselves, my "last stand" was pretty stupid. But I was a teenager and didn't think that out.

Of course, some guy spends the entire time playing skee-ball and brings up all the tickets he can carry and asks for our top prizes. I explain that we aren't redeeming prizes and he becomes immediately confrontational and insulting. While I worked in customer service, I was a teenager and I've never been good with taking someone's poo poo for no reason, so it just escalates until we're like shouting at each other and this new manager who was terrible (and pregnant) comes out and pulls me into her office.

She doesn't even ask me what happened or how it played out, she just starts into a write-up. I get pissed, mention that she's not even asking for my side of the story, and walk out.

She then follows me out to my car in the parking lot, yelling all sorts of crap at me and I'm just ignoring her, then she says, I poo poo you not, "I swear if you make me lose this baby!" and that is something I will never forget.

Considering how much poo poo I stole from that place it was definitely a weird hill for me to die on, but I guess it wasn't the dickhead with the tickets as much as my manager who wouldn't even hear me out.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

champagne posting posted:

Do the needful and post the article of the terrible person who had barely seen a restaurant from the inside and decided to put all his money into one

You know the one, it's the one where the air-conditioner just runs tap water through its heat exchanger and then sends it straight into the drain.

Is... THIS your card?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Never gonna pass up an excuse to repost the all time champ of turning a cooking hobby into a restaurant with god tier poor decision making: https://torontolife.com/food/restaurant-ruined-life/

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Takes No Damage posted:

Is... THIS your card?

No read of that article is complete without keeping in mind that everyone in that neighborhood (and the rest of Toronto) thinks they're fabulously wealthy, so real estate listings like this one and this one are normal.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

goatface posted:

Also a lot of "Wow! This craft beer thing sure is taking off! I bet I could make a lot of money if I got in on it!" type of people.

There are decent places as well, but they're almost never hiring because until you get really big you don't need a huge amount of staff to run things and turnover is gonna be low at a decent place because nobody wants to leave.

The place I worked at outside of Seattle was decent. The owners were sorta clueless, but we're really good about giving time off. The pay wasn't great, but other than that it wasn't a bad place to work.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

have reached the second half of my two week notice and productivity levels are at an all-time low. you love to see it folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CitizenKain posted:

My company has been doing that for years.
Its a pure scam. I've argued with my direct manager if I really thought I was the best employee ever, did nothing wrong the entire year, did everything perfectly, if I put that down in my own review would it mean I would get a pay rise or more of the profit share?
gently caress no. Its what my direct manager thinks.
Self review is so that they can get ammo they wouldn't normally see to use against you.
"I think I did great this year, why is my pay raise 1%?"
"Well you said in your review yourself you were lacking in some parts of the job, so not meeting expectations."