Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

There's also the consideration that government spending contributes to GDP, so on a strict technically-according-to-economists level the mobilization and the associated spending count as a positive in the (very) short term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Um, is this reliable? I feel like the Economist would be less inclined to take a pro-Russian stance if it could be avoided:

As Europe falls into recession, Russia climbs out

Well, let’s actually read the article. Things it says about Russia:

- “Economic situation is improving” - vague
- “Growth potential of Russia halved” - vague, and not really that good, you know?
- “Fossil output down 3% and may fall after European embargoes come into effect” - don’t you say, also looking forward to the climb
- “250-500k Russians fled in first 6 months, most highly educated” - climbing
- “bank run and ~300k more fled since mobilisation” - climbing intensifies
- “worker shortages are worsening, compounding inflation woes, with the worst ahead for services sector” - enhance climbing
- “recession probably has ended” - probably doing plenty of work here
- “GDP figures published are widely doubted” - thanks for overtly alluding to using them
- “Goldman Sachs has a model” - riveting stuff, really
- “Sberbank also says that things are getting better” - I wonder if risks of acute window sickness may influence this
- “car manufacturing sector has bounced back” - vague, also there’s a lot of room to bounce from 90% down to X% down
- “monthly goods imports almost certainly exceed the last year’s in dollar equivalent” - this is vague in like 3 separate ways
- “IMF now expects a GDP decline of 3.4% instead of 8.5%” - someone remind me what recession is defined as
- “Russia will be able to keep fighting” - vague

Seems to be a classic case of a bad headline, and a covert “Europe bad” article from the Economist.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 13, 2022

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I just read dipshit extraordinaire/ Apartheid baby Elon Musk just cut off Ukraine from Starlink in Crimea because he fears nuclear war (after talking with Putin and becoming his new Reek).

Can someone explain to me why the US military can't tell this loving moron to shut the gently caress up? What exactly qualifies you as peace negotiator? The ability to snort Ketamine and Tweet at the same time?

I'm so sick of that loving clown getting involved with every world affair, and thinking he is the secret brain genius.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 13, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

I just read dipshit extraordinaire/ Apartheid baby Elon Musk just cuff of Ukraine from Starlink in Crimea because he fears nuclear war (after talking with Putin amd becoming his new Reek).

Can someone explain to me why the US military can't tell this loving moron to shut the gently caress up? What exactly qualifies you as peace negotiator? The ability to snort Ketamine and Tweet at the same time?

I'm so sick of that loving clown getting involved with every world affair, and thinking he is the secret brain genius.

Please slow down, exhale, and reread the things you read slowly enough to contextualise the available sources for these claims.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

its happening

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/519542011297136657/1030053015312412742/dronez.mp4

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Vicious suicide ram at a surveillance camera? Slightly confused over here.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

drone vs drone

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Probably should've "sat" on the drone instead, as in, try to park on it from above.

Regardless, drat that was feeble, like two toddlers wrestling

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I thought that unboxing videos went out of fashion already.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Nenonen posted:

I thought that unboxing videos went out of fashion already.

Oh poo poo, is that where the spyderco knife I seem to have lost ended up?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m hardly sold on “FSB did it” spin, I’m just noting that this is yet another scenario where the official explanation is “we are incompetent morons”.

I can't imagine that pressure to have investigation results immediately helps the reliability of them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/ian_matveev/status/1580499038788808704

Speculative Russian air defences malfunction in Belgorod.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1580307229650997249

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 13, 2022

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://twitter.com/Denys_Shmyhal/status/1580540354738388992

Huh, seems important.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1580497639266975745

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Vicious suicide ram at a surveillance camera? Slightly confused over here.

Took me two watches, but I'm pretty sure the drone filming is the one maneuvering into the other one.
The altitude means the ground isn't perceptibly moving in frame and makes it look like the filming drone is static and the other one moving.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Um, is this reliable? I feel like the Economist would be less inclined to take a pro-Russian stance if it could be avoided:

As Europe falls into recession, Russia climbs out

Not really sure, but there's a history:

https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2022/05/07/russias-economy-is-back-on-its-feet
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2022/06/10/russias-economy-appears-to-be-back-on-track
https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2022/08/23/why-the-russian-economy-keeps-beating-expectations
https://www.economist.com/finance-and-economics/2022/10/11/as-europe-falls-into-recession-russia-climbs-out

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

They've been pretty adamant the last few months that sanctions alone will not end the war and that Ukraine must be armed to the point that they can drive Russia out sooner rather than later. This is a continuation of that argument.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

They still do the Zinc coffins thing?
Is Svetlana Alexievich gonna have to write Zinky boys 2?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

moroboshi
Dec 11, 2000

Is that what the Z stands for? The zinc coffin you come home in?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
This is the equivalent of of WWI reconnaissance pilots shooting at each other with revolvers in 1914.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is the equivalent of of WWI reconnaissance pilots shooting at each other with revolvers in 1914.

Actually,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyotr_Nesterov

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

quote:

The town of Zhovkva (currently in Lviv Oblast, Ukraine), located near the battle, was renamed Nesterov in his honor in 1951.

You will notice that the Ukrainian town of Zhovkva is in fact not named Nesterov as of this reading :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

saratoga posted:

They've been pretty adamant the last few months that sanctions alone will not end the war and that Ukraine must be armed to the point that they can drive Russia out sooner rather than later. This is a continuation of that argument.

I’m not sure who hasn’t been adamant that sanctions alone won’t end the war.

I’m afraid this is the least important of the 3 European councils.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m not sure who hasn’t been adamant that sanctions alone won’t end the war.

The Economist tends to specialize in smug, smart-sounding articles that don't actually tell you very much.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

The Economist tends to specialize in smug, smart-sounding articles that don't actually tell you very much.

You tell me, I'm a subscriber to their print edition.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yes, I am aware. However it's still one of the three, so they might inspire others.
Still, this wouldn't change much in Government to Government communication, while severely loving up life for people of the ground, so I'm not sure this would be a wise decision.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kikas posted:

Yes, I am aware. However it's still one of the three, so they might inspire others.
Still, this wouldn't change much in Government to Government communication, while severely loving up life for people of the ground, so I'm not sure this would be a wise decision.

It's like a European UN, it's not going to inspire anyone to do anything.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://twitter.com/CovertShores/status/1580262767507881986

I wonder what an anti-sabotage grenade is.

Edit: Oh I see, like little mini depth charges

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Forcing Russia to divert resources from the front to protect infrastructure 200km away is a very good outcome

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://novayagazeta.eu/articles/2022/10/05/in-comparison-with-all-the-other-senseless-actions-the-gas-siege-of-the-eu-barely-registers

https://carnegieendowment.org/politika/88062

Two good articles on Russia's gas economy and the Nord Stream sabotage. The second one won't tell you anything new unless you're Jeffrey Sachs, but the first one is very detailed.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Feliday Melody posted:

You will notice that the Ukrainian town of Zhovkva is in fact not named Nesterov as of this reading :v:

quote:

The name Zhovkva, which is the Ukrainian version of the historic Polish name, was restored in 1992, after Ukraine became independent of the Soviet Union.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Yes, that was my point. Ukraine had very little interest in honouring a long dead Russian/Soviet war hero with whole towns named after him.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I mean, comparing some dude that wanted to bump planes with one of the best military leaders in The Commonwealth...

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Enjoy posted:

Forcing Russia to divert resources from the front to protect infrastructure 200km away is a very good outcome

Somehow I don't think a boat would do much good in Kherson or Kreminna.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Enjoy posted:

I don't think that ship had much value at the front.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

"Better hope it doesn't rain or that boat might suffer the same fate as the Moskva"

-The Russian government

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I would imagine there's also a lot of performative security theater going on at the bridge right now as well. If the official line is that the x-ray'd truck was missed and made a boomie the bureaucratic response will be the Russian equivalent of every one spending four hours in line at TSA taking off their shoes and belts.

So logistics are probably screwed even without another attack.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Anyone remember the craziest weapon buyer Poland? Turns out US might not be keen on selling 500 HIMARS systems, since it's pretty bonkers...
So Polish Gov went on another buying spree in South Korea and got 300 pieces of K239 Chunmoo, which to my untrained eye look comparible.
The kicker: there's no info about that HIMARS order being cancelled... I'm willing to bet those PiS idiots will buy at most 2 loads of cheapest missiles per launcher..

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

bird food bathtub posted:

I would imagine there's also a lot of performative security theater going on at the bridge right now as well. If the official line is that the x-ray'd truck was missed and made a boomie the bureaucratic response will be the Russian equivalent of every one spending four hours in line at TSA taking off their shoes and belts.

So logistics are probably screwed even without another attack.

Logistics are definitely screwed. Not sure how bad trains are backed up, but they have a similar situation of 50% reduction in capacity, so my guess is it's all FUBAR'd:

EDIT: actually it'd be worse for trains, there's no switch track along the entire length of the bridge, so any train going the opposite direction has to wait for the train on the bridge to travel it's entire length before it can even start.

https://twitter.com/BenDoBrown/status/1580385992791334912?s=20&t=voh69BBdQyrVe7ZgjFIOJQ

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
So the story about Extreme Networks breaking a ban on selling IT equipment to banned countries got me thinking about IT in general in Russia. Intel and other chip makers are banned from selling chips to Russia right? Does that extend to wholesale of desktops/laptops from vendors like Microsoft/Apple/Asus/etc. or can your average Russian citizen/business buy that stuff still?