Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i remember my friend getting Brutal Legend on X360 and we were so excited after the demo, we played a few hours and loving hated it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah brutal legend was a gigantic bait and switch that it was impossible to see coming because they never once mentioned the clunky RTS sections until it was on shelves

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Coolness Averted posted:

I think it's one of those things like Fable 1&2, where if you paid attention to any of the promised features and coverage you were gonna be disappointed. If you went in blind, or with an accurate pitch they were fun though. Especially if you got them cheap. It absolutely was a bait and switch, Shafer even admits as much, though blames it all on the mean publisher making him do it since RTSes didn't sell at the time.

49 CFR 172.406(a)(1)(i) specifically says a label can't go on the bottom. Though if I recall correctly, technically this is a mark, not a label on a package of this size.

DOT is surprisingly finicky about stuff, like directly stating the pantone color codes that must be used for the colors in labeling. I've actually been a bit curious about this since I got my deck, so went digging. Looks like based on the size of the battery per 49 cfr 173.85(c) they're exempt from labeling requirements unless shipping in an overpack, which makes sense that they'd have specific stacking instructions for say a pallet of these things, though they're required to put on that mark. I'm more familiar with chemicals than with class 9 stuff like batteries, so there might be some sections and exceptions I'm missing.

A DOT inspector feeling like a real jackass could still try and get them for the companion cube drawings on the side since it has a mark 'that could be confused' for the DOT 'this side up' mark. Heck, when GHS labeling launched their original stance was "The flammable label OSHA requires for this could be confused with the DOT flammable label, so is illegal during shipping. Cover the OSHA label, or apply it after it arrives or something." They've since changed that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Like, I get that it's because it's from 2004, and I'm running a general 40hz cap on my system, but I played a good hour of Half Life 2 last night (unf, gyro aiming :swoon:) and my battery went down MAYBE 15-20%.

Older games really are are new again. I've beaten HL2 countless times (twice on the OG Xbox), but now, it's time to finally get all the achievements. I checked, and the first achievement I got in that game was 12 years ago. Wow.

Edit: I still hate Water Hazard.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 13, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Just realized I have a fight stick and a dozen arcade emulators installed

lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I beat Doom 2016 last night. I borrowed a copy on PS4 when it came out but never beat it because it overheated it. (Mostly my fault, I’m sure it was clogged with dust.) Doom 2016 was great.

Just started Doom Eternal. I played a bit on PS5 but I wasn’t vibing with it at the time, but I think I’ll probably enjoy it more now fresh off of 2016.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Decided to install Endless Space 2 and encountered a number of problems. First and foremost, all the cutscenes are UPSIDE DOWN, it's so weird. I get frequent crashes (the only game in my library that crashed on the Deck). Controls feel finicky, and for some reason the game is really demanding power wise.

Which is a shame, because it's a fun, chill game. I have Stellaris, which runs better and is a similar type of game. but it's real time which feels more hectic, less story driven and the races are more archetypal and interchangeable compared to ES2 where they have very distinct gimmicks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Steam deck arrived.. Kind of smells like Lysol+ new car. should I RMA?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Mine has notes of Target and Ripe Plastic. Might need to let yours warm up a bit.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The smell reminds me of the old Xbox controller's weird plastic memory card holes.

So I guess plastic. But it's wierldy nostalgic because apparently I can't quit huffing plastic holes.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Like, I get that it's because it's from 2004, and I'm running a general 40hz cap on my system, but I played a good hour of Half Life 2 last night (unf, gyro aiming :swoon:) and my battery went down MAYBE 15-20%.
Gyro aiming is for Switch expats that thing it's the be-all end-all of precision aiming on handhelds.

Trackpad aiming is where it's at.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Zurtilik posted:

Steam Deck: I can't quit huffing plastic holes

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh my god I have a portable Snowrunner machine and it's wonderful

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Older games really are are new again.

Seriously, Metal Gear Rising: REVENGEANCE plays perfectly and was a great way to spend an evening.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Why play Revengeance when Vanquish is right there.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Because it’s a substantially better game imo

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Heran Bago posted:

Doesn't it automatically go to sleep after a while?

Not while downloading.

Or at least I always leave mine plugged in with a ~10 minute sleep setting which I think does kick in if I've SSHed to the Duck but didn't kick in while Yakuza 0 took its time in downloading.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nanomachines, son

edit: I am being told that Vanquish also has nanomachines

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The cigar is actually a bundle of nanomachines smoking smaller nanocigars

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Party Boat posted:

So, quick trip report - MGS2 PC with V's Fix seems to be a pain to get running on the Deck. This reddit poster claims to have got it working but it sounds like a level of tinkering beyond what I'm prepared to engage in: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/whhdfo/metal_gear_solid_2_vs_fix/ijoo4i9?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share&context=3

Ah okay yeah that seems like probably more work than it’s worth. Thank you though!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Finally got Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition working last night. Ended up being a bit of a pain in the rear end but I'm glad I did it. Sitting in bed with my headphones last night with it was very absorbing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/silenthill/comments/wzurx1/the_definitive_guide_to_setting_up_silent_hill_14/

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i beat the capcom championship in mega man soccer

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Atomizer posted:

What was the problem with the demo?

The demo was mostly fine but it ended just before the major RTS stuff came into play so a lot of people were surprised and annoyed that it became an RTS when the game came out. Lots of people called it a bait and switch and other stuff like that simply because the demo was mostly a hack and slash with light RTS elements and the game itself was the exact opposite once it got going.

I think the game was great fun and the RTS elements, while extremely simple, were well done. The music and voice acting and story were all pretty great and it had the usual double fine humor which I really enjoyed.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Cowman posted:

The demo was mostly fine but it ended just before the major RTS stuff came into play so a lot of people were surprised and annoyed that it became an RTS when the game came out. Lots of people called it a bait and switch and other stuff like that simply because the demo was mostly a hack and slash with light RTS elements and the game itself was the exact opposite once it got going.

I think the game was great fun and the RTS elements, while extremely simple, were well done. The music and voice acting and story were all pretty great and it had the usual double fine humor which I really enjoyed.

The demo was entirely a hack and slash.

The game was fine, I bought it day one after being pretty hyped for it since I’m a big metal head, but let’s not start trying to rewrite history and make out it was a case of people not paying enough attention. They couldn’t have hidden the RTS stuff better if they tried (because they already tried and succeeded).

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

sigher posted:

First point, I meant Dock, the Deck is perfect, but I'm hitting issues all around with the Dock. I don't have an adapter, I'm just using the ports on the Dock with an HDMI/DP cables to connect 2 monitors. On HDMI it's a 1440p@144hz, on DP it's 1080p@144hz. I can't select 144hz for either I don't think, I for sure can't set it for the HDMI port.

Within Gaming Mode anytime I bring up the Steam Menu the image goes black for a second before popping back in, almost as if the monitor was briefly unplugged and plugged back in. Gaming Mode with 2 monitors plugged in is hell, I got constant flickering. Oh also, if I'm playing a game Handheld, I dock it and then try and bring up the Steam Menu it seems to crash the Deck completely and forces it to reboot.

All in all, the docking experience with the Steam Deck leaves a lot to be desired thus far, it makes me really appreciate how smoothly Nintendo managed to get it running on the Switch. The good thing here is I'm sure it's going to get ironed out sooner than later but right now it's kinda a dog. Until this is fixed the whole "Steam Deck as main and only PC" is out.

Steam Dock specs says "Supports up to 4k 60hz, or 1440p 120hz" so I don't think you're gonna get 1440p@144hz. (My Deck/Dock is only out for delivery today (woo!) so I don't know anything first hand, but I hadn't read any specs that led me to believe either device supported 144hz?)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So there's no reason to get the official dock other than it being official, correct?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

So there's no reason to get the official dock other than it being official, correct?

It has FreeSync and Dual Monitor support. Don't care about those? Get a $40 Jsaux Dock.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Gay Retard posted:

It has FreeSync and Dual Monitor support. Don't care about those? Get a $40 Jsaux Dock.

Ah, other docks don't have freesync? Or the ones that do just cost the same anyway?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yeah FreeSync is the biggie imho

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Ah, other docks don't have freesync? Or the ones that do just cost the same anyway?

I don't think there are any other docks on the market that support FreeSync that aren't expensive Thunderbolt docks.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

History Comes Inside! posted:

The demo was entirely a hack and slash.

The game was fine, I bought it day one after being pretty hyped for it since I’m a big metal head, but let’s not start trying to rewrite history and make out it was a case of people not paying enough attention. They couldn’t have hidden the RTS stuff better if they tried (because they already tried and succeeded).

I thought it had a hinting at the RTS elements right at the end but I haven't played the demo since it came so I must be wrong. Either way, the RTS elements weren't advertised very well, if at all, and people got pissed because of that.

Edit: Out of curiosity I watched the end of someone's video of the demo and the end trailer technically has some RTS action in it but without any context so you wouldn't have any idea that it's the RTS stuff at the time.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 13, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Triangle Strategy is out! Time to play that on max graphics on the better handheld that wont drop frames when rotating the camera

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Holy smokes the new steam mobile app is 100000 times better than the old one.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Triangle Strategy is out! Time to play that on max graphics on the better handheld that wont drop frames when rotating the camera
Nice! I played it on the Switch. It’s exactly the type of game you’d want to play on a handheld like the Deck.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Consummate Professional posted:

Holy smokes the new steam mobile app is 100000 times better than the old one.

Is that allowed? I thought new apps are bound by law to be worse than the apps they deprecate.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zet posted:

Steam Dock specs says "Supports up to 4k 60hz, or 1440p 120hz" so I don't think you're gonna get 1440p@144hz. (My Deck/Dock is only out for delivery today (woo!) so I don't know anything first hand, but I hadn't read any specs that led me to believe either device supported 144hz?)

That makes sense, but I still don't get why I can't select anything higher than 100hz. Maybe it's something with my monitor the cables I'm using?

Antigravitas posted:

Is that allowed? I thought new apps are bound by law to be worse than the apps they deprecate.

Apparently it is, the phone app is pretty good now... I'm so glad I can easily browse and buy games for my Steam Deck. I see you Gabe.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GreenBuckanneer posted:

But the game is very bad (imo)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Cowman posted:

I thought it had a hinting at the RTS elements right at the end but I haven't played the demo since it came so I must be wrong. Either way, the RTS elements weren't advertised very well, if at all, and people got pissed because of that.

Edit: Out of curiosity I watched the end of someone's video of the demo and the end trailer technically has some RTS action in it but without any context so you wouldn't have any idea that it's the RTS stuff at the time.

I vaguely recall hearing during the hype that the game was going to blend genres and have all sorts of different levels with different gameplay styles -including the fan theory of rhythm game segments like rockband. Wikipedia says it was never envisioned with more genre hopping, but they did consider rockband stuff and dropped it, since switching controllers would be awkward.
Though the source is a Tim Schafer retrospective interview years later, so I imagine there's a lot of spin there.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Triangle Strategy is very good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

The steam app was already at maximum terrible, so updating it caused an integer wraparound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

Triangle Strategy is very good.

I turned it off after having literally a 5 minute tutorial battle surrounded by 90+ minutes of anime heads talking and running around. I can't be assed for this kind of signal to noise ratio in games any longer.