Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think that ship had much value at the front.

At first I was like lol no of course, but then I just remembered, isn't a huge portion of the front currently defined by various long, famously navigable rivers, with various bridges across them that might need protecting? I have no idea if that ship has a shallow enough draft to e.g. travel up the Dnieper or the Dniester but maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Popete posted:

So the story about Extreme Networks breaking a ban on selling IT equipment to banned countries got me thinking about IT in general in Russia. Intel and other chip makers are banned from selling chips to Russia right? Does that extend to wholesale of desktops/laptops from vendors like Microsoft/Apple/Asus/etc. or can your average Russian citizen/business buy that stuff still?

It's not like Russia borders any countries that are not under Sanctions.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I wonder if Korea’s defence industry is having a rally in their stock and financial performance with all these defence contracts being thrown around. Could they potentially become a major arms producing country to backfill the gaps left by Russia?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

It's not like Russia borders any countries that are not under Sanctions.

It's more a question regarding the legality of selling business/personal use hardware within Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bird food bathtub posted:

I would imagine there's also a lot of performative security theater going on at the bridge right now as well. If the official line is that the x-ray'd truck was missed and made a boomie the bureaucratic response will be the Russian equivalent of every one spending four hours in line at TSA taking off their shoes and belts.

So logistics are probably screwed even without another attack.

Yes and that boat isn't going to do poo poo either

alex314 posted:

Anyone remember the craziest weapon buyer Poland? Turns out US might not be keen on selling 500 HIMARS systems, since it's pretty bonkers...
So Polish Gov went on another buying spree in South Korea and got 300 pieces of K239 Chunmoo, which to my untrained eye look comparible.
The kicker: there's no info about that HIMARS order being cancelled... I'm willing to bet those PiS idiots will buy at most 2 loads of cheapest missiles per launcher..
Lol that's nuts.
The K239 is a wheeled truck but has two pods of 6 missiles, like the M270. But, as far as I can tell from the wiki article, has incompatible missiles. That's... not a great idea!

I mean for Poland but also for SK to have made that in the first place, as having access to a gazillion missiles from your allies seem like would've been helpful if poo poo hits the fan.

quote:

ER GMLRS rockets with extended range of up to 150 km (93 mi).[59] Rockets use a slightly increased rocket motor size, a newly designed hull, and tail-driven guidance, while still containing six per pod. It will come in unitary and AW variants.[60] The first successful test flight of a ER GMLRS occurred in March 2021.[61] In early 2021, Lockheed Martin anticipated putting the ER into its production line in the fiscal year 2023 contract award and was planning to produce the new rockets at its Camden facility.[22] In 2022 Finland became the first foreign customer to order ER GMLRS.[62]

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Kraftwerk posted:

I wonder if Korea’s defence industry is having a rally in their stock and financial performance with all these defence contracts being thrown around. Could they potentially become a major arms producing country to backfill the gaps left by Russia?

Also could probably get some sales in the West when people realize that German stuff is only available in artisanal quantities?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Somehow I don't think a boat would do much good in Kherson or Kreminna.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think that ship had much value at the front.

I was referring to the MANPADS

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

OddObserver posted:

Also could probably get some sales in the West when people realize that German stuff is only available in artisanal quantities?

That tracks with Korea's civilian strategy of poaching German auto designers and German car customers.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Popete posted:

It's more a question regarding the legality of selling business/personal use hardware within Russia.

The hardware is sold in for example Kazakhstan. And then sent and resold in Russia.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yes and that boat isn't going to do poo poo either

Lol that's nuts.
The K239 is a wheeled truck but has two pods of 6 missiles, like the M270. But, as far as I can tell from the wiki article, has incompatible missiles. That's... not a great idea!

I mean for Poland but also for SK to have made that in the first place, as having access to a gazillion missiles from your allies seem like would've been helpful if poo poo hits the fan.

I somehow assumed at least ammo would be the same :psyboom:
And yeah, different diameter. The gently caress... I know the previous Minister of Defense did some questionable things (some people would consider treason..), but I've assumed the new one is saner.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Enjoy posted:

I thought you were talking about the attack dolphins

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Considering both NATO and the US remain committed to strategic ambiguity I'm not sure what to make of this statement of Borrell's.
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1580566530923716608?s=20&t=SwBMuwbws1JnHm_oEnTn_A

FWIW he's hawkish on Ukraine and prone to jumping the gun so who knows.
https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1498035551168983043?s=20&t=6uKC7GRMpE5p3GfOq7vRjA

Stoltenberg has reiterated NATO's position as late as today btw:

""There would be severe consequences if Russia used nuclear weapons, any kind of nuclear weapon against Ukraine," Jens Stoltenberg told a news conference after a meeting of NATO defence ministers.

"We will not go into exactly how we will respond, but this will fundamentally change the nature of the conflict. It means that a very important line has been crossed," he said, referring to the war in Ukraine that followed Russia's invasion of the country.

He said the fundamental purpose of NATO's nuclear deterrent was to preserve peace and prevent coercion against its allies, and so the circumstances under which it might have to use nuclear weapons were "extremely remote""
https://www.reuters.com/world/nato-chief-circumstances-nato-use-nuclear-weapons-extremely-remote-2022-10-13/

Between Macron's latest statements today maybe it's just a case of internal EU tensions between hawks and doves spilling out?
https://twitter.com/EmmanuelMacron/status/1580505003714048001?s=20&t=g14yyk2NZA4i8bFWhxhZMQ
https://twitter.com/nukestrat/status/1580538680040513536?s=20&t=6uKC7GRMpE5p3GfOq7vRjA
https://twitter.com/EHunterChristie/status/1580566735228268549?s=20&t=_yjqw5P1hV4aWm2VOx_CIg

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Borrell also jumped the shark on jet delivery that didn’t happen, way back, so I think this mainly hot air from him, or some Brussels palace drama backblast, as you suggest.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MikusR posted:

The hardware is sold in for example Kazakhstan. And then sent and resold in Russia.

I'm asking about the legality not how it can be circumvented. What is the actual legality of selling for example Intel chip desktops/laptops in Russia? Can Lenovo sell directly to Russian consumers or is that illegal?

The Extreme Networks debacle makes it sound like selling to specific organizations is prohibited but maybe not all businesses/consumers.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Enjoy posted:

The MANPADs are part of the boat's armament. It carries a single Igla tube and four reloads. The presence or absence of this Igla tube is immaterial to the course of the war.

Leperflesh posted:

At first I was like lol no of course, but then I just remembered, isn't a huge portion of the front currently defined by various long, famously navigable rivers, with various bridges across them that might need protecting? I have no idea if that ship has a shallow enough draft to e.g. travel up the Dnieper or the Dniester but maybe?

It possibly could, but I'm not sure what it would be doing other than getting shot at. Along the rivers the main AFU threat to bridges is artillery and a guard ship just presents an additional object to hit with near misses.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

France has probably the least ambiguous nuclear doctrine of any nuclear armed power, which is that they will use nuclear weapons in a countervalue first strike if France is sufficiently threatened. Now the threshold of threat is a bit ambiguous, but it probably requires an existential threat to France. Russia using tactical nuclear weapons in Ukraine is not an existential threat to France and as one of the tweet people pointed out, Macron is just giving the correct doctrinaire response to the question.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1580603516254818305

I'm not fully convinced though am hopeful.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Borrell also jumped the shark on jet delivery that didn’t happen, way back, so I think this mainly hot air from him, or some Brussels palace drama backblast, as you suggest.

The most commonly suggested and hintrd response to a Russian WMD attack would be full scale participation of NATO forces on Ukrainian soil. This likely means a massive wave of conventional missile strikes on Russian logistical units and infrastructure in Ukraine and the full deployment of NATO aircraft to strike Russian troops and facilitate Ukrainian offensives to fully eject Russian troops from Ukraine. It is also suggested that what remains of the Black Sea Fleet will also be sent to the bottom in the event it tries to exit port.

Whether NATO would risk or see the need for NATO ground forces to actually participate on front line combat is less clear. Everything see so far suggests the Russians would be incapable of resisting a "shock and awe" style campaign with the Ukrainians still the ones doing the work on the ground. Given how vulnerable Russia has been to the hodgepodge of donated weapons, it is clear that what is left of the Russian army would rapidly disintegrate in the face of a technologically superior NATO air campaign.

Edit: phone typing is hard.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I certainly hope so. Even if that was actual US/NATO policy; saying so publicly would potentially create a commitment trap and reduce political maneuverability and avenues of potential de-escalation. Which, to my mind, speaks to it just being Borell doing some off-the-cuff wishful thinking with his head up his rear end. There are a ton of good reasons Biden, Sullivan, Stoltenberg et al have been fastidiously observing strategic ambiguity on potential responses to such a scenario.

Context seems to strengthen the case that he was simply misspeaking/getting ahead of himself:
https://twitter.com/laurnorman/status/1580620555660599296?s=20&t=ReW8GfV4FnS5ZLvKS1PmCQ

PerilPastry fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 13, 2022

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

alex314 posted:

I somehow assumed at least ammo would be the same :psyboom:

The Chunmoo is compatible with the 227mm system that the HIMARS uses. It just can also fire a bunch of different domestic Korean rockets. Those are different because they were designed before the M270 was.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1580611395149627392

Glad to see progress continues

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sniper4625 posted:

Glad to see progress continues

Yeah, same. Feels like it's been very quiet these past few days - according to War Mapper "there have been no notable changes to control". I assume the Ukrainians are resting and regrouping before they start pushing forward once more.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The masses of conscripts are probably also starting to fill in holes and slowing things down now somewhat

Tuna-Fish posted:

The Chunmoo is compatible with the 227mm system that the HIMARS uses. It just can also fire a bunch of different domestic Korean rockets. Those are different because they were designed before the M270 was.
Oh good, thanks.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Remember the maintenance report on the Moskva that came to light a couple of months after it sank? I'm sure that on paper the boat defending the Kerch bridge has all sorts of anti-air, anti-ship, anti-dolphin, anti-whatever capabilities, but whether it can actually deploy those capabilities when needed is another question altogether.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

FishBulbia posted:

I'm not fully convinced though am hopeful.

BBC news is saying the Russians have ordered civilian evacuation of Kherson, so they're getting ready for a big fight.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-63243313

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, same. Feels like it's been very quiet these past few days - according to War Mapper "there have been no notable changes to control". I assume the Ukrainians are resting and regrouping before they start pushing forward once more.

The rule of thumb seems to be that any sane group of troops, led by a sane commander, can push a week at a time at most, which broadly checks with the recent events in Ukraine’s north-east.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

BBC news is saying the Russians have ordered civilian evacuation of Kherson, so they're getting ready for a big fight.

“Ordered” is a misleadingly strong word here.

The day began with a plea of the “Russian governor” of Kherson to Kremlin - https://t.me/rbc_news/60422 - offering the locals to relocate if desired, and asking Kremlin to assist with that. In response - https://t.me/mkhusnullin/582 - vice-PM of Russia promised to help. While Kherson’s pro-Russian Telegrams seem to be more or less abuzz with totally not hysterical “we’re just relocating for relaxation”, we’re not in the territory of explicit mass evacuation orders yet.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

France has probably the least ambiguous nuclear doctrine of any nuclear armed power, which is that they will use nuclear weapons in a countervalue first strike if France is sufficiently threatened. Now the threshold of threat is a bit ambiguous, but it probably requires an existential threat to France. Russia using tactical nuclear weapons in Ukraine is not an existential threat to France and as one of the tweet people pointed out, Macron is just giving the correct doctrinaire response to the question.

I'm not even sure what people think a hypothetical nuclear response from the West should be. Either you would hit Russian territory in which case you probably just started WW3 or you hit occupied territory in Ukraine in which case you just nuked... Ukraine.

I don't think anyone believe France would or should do either so Macron saying it out loud doesn't change anything.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jamsque posted:

Remember the maintenance report on the Moskva that came to light a couple of months after it sank? I'm sure that on paper the boat defending the Kerch bridge has all sorts of anti-air, anti-ship, anti-dolphin, anti-whatever capabilities, but whether it can actually deploy those capabilities when needed is another question altogether.

The less complex a system is, the more likely it is to be functional. There's nothing fancy on that guard boat. It's a simple boat with a few grenade launchers with fancy names, a machine gun, and an Igla for a dude to shoulder. I am sure it works fine. Whether it could prevent a meaningful attack on the bridge is another matter.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That really sucks. If its a reverse Mariupol the city will be destroyed.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

FishBulbia posted:

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't foresee Ukraine going for street-to-street fighting or trying to shell into a moonscape if they can avoid it.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

FishBulbia posted:

It is incredibly unlikely that Russian occupiers are as motivated to stick it out to the same degree Azov and the other units in Mariupol were. If Ukraine captures a bridgehead to the East, or drives towards Melitopol, Kherson won't be able to hold for long.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
With the seasons changing, does it look like the war is also gonna change while it’s cold/muddy/snowy(?). I remember there being images of Russian vehicles getting bogged down in mud. Is that a consideration for advancing Ukrainians in the coming months?

Similarly, is this going to be an issue when things get really cold? Images of Napoleon and the Wehrmacht come to mind but that was Moscow and this is southern/eastern Ukraine, not to mention shorter supply lines for Ukraine.

In short: will winter slow ukraines advance by a large amount?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

FishBulbia posted:

I've yet to see Ukraine operate that way.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Question: does the dniepr freeze over in the south?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

I've yet to see Ukraine operate that way.

They have yet to fight against dug in troops in a major city. Hopefully they won't have to and the Russians will run away as they have so far

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Burns posted:

Question: does the dniepr freeze over in the south?

The average high temperature in Kherson in January is 34°F, so I would expect it would. The flowing water will work against it, so it might be patchy or thin in places. Probably solid enough to walk on, but I doubt cars or trucks would make it.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

buglord posted:

With the seasons changing, does it look like the war is also gonna change while it’s cold/muddy/snowy(?). I remember there being images of Russian vehicles getting bogged down in mud. Is that a consideration for advancing Ukrainians in the coming months?

Similarly, is this going to be an issue when things get really cold? Images of Napoleon and the Wehrmacht come to mind but that was Moscow and this is southern/eastern Ukraine, not to mention shorter supply lines for Ukraine.

Mud season will force a slowdown in the autumn, but then things will likely start back up again once the ground freezes and will support the weight of vehicles again. Cold will be a factor but it can be protected against with good gear. I suspect the Ukrainians will try to take a breather in areas where the mud is a factor, and prepare for a winter offensive.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

They have yet to fight against dug in troops in a major city. Hopefully they won't have to and the Russians will run away as they have so far

Actually, they have - Izium and Lyman, for example. Their technique is to surround the city and cut off resupply, so as to force the Russians to retreat or surrender. The whole Kharkiv offensive was done that way. They avoided any direct confrontations whenever possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

buglord posted:

yes, this part of the world is pretty famous for having gnarly winter weather

not only are the winters long and cold as gently caress, which causes problems for military operations as you have to spend a lot of time keeping your troops warm and sheltered, winter itself is bracketed by periods of mud - rain in the fall and a tremendous amount of mud in the spring as the accumulated snow melts. russia ran into this problem with their initial invasion, delayed for reasons unknown (the winter olympics and not wanting to steal the spotlight from a friendly neighbor, china?) until the spring thaw happened and bogged down part of the opening offensive

ukraine's counterattack will likely be slowed in winter, as winter is traditionally a time to dig in and wait for better weather, especially if where you're operating is dangerously cold - there are some notable exceptions to this guideline though