Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ilitarist posted:

Do you think all people on Reddit or here are Americans?

Which society did you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My takeaway is to build all my farms in one state and marginalize the landholders elsewhere so when the Civil War kicks off its some puny little rump rebellion.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ilitarist posted:

Yeah, it says a lot about our society that people thought this was too ahistorical, but there aren't many posts about Russia annexing parts of Japan or whatever happened to China.

Oh trust me people are complaining plenty about that too

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

The Legacy Slavery law does seem like a special case of the game mechanics since AFAIK it's the only law that creates a hard line between different States of a country. It's debatable how Landowners pops in free States should feel about slavery in comparison to ones in slave States. Obviously they might want to move from Legacy Slavery to full Slavery since it would allow them to own slaves, but failing that they might instead tolerate a move from Legacy Slavery to Slavery Abolished, since it might benefit them by eliminating the advantage of their slave-owning competition. Either way, they probably don't feel as strongly on the issue as pops in slave states who actually own slaves, since they don't perceive abolitionism as an existential class threat. It does seem like their class interests are distinguishable from that of Landowners in slave States, and I wonder if Legacy Slavery should involve the creation of a separate Landowner IG to represent that distinction. Since the initiation of a Revolution keys off of the specific rebellious interest groups, this would create a situation where the free-state Landowners may or may not throw in with the rebellion depending on certain conditions, and Generals belonging to that IG may be a critical swing factor. That sounds extremely interesting since you'll never quite know how a slavery-oriented schism will shake out.

Though in this particular case of a hypothetically dominant northern planter class, I'd say we're sidestepping the real issue in that the civil war probably should not happen at all, since northern abolitionism should be quite weak.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

quote:

If the US civil war is always historical then the CSA always loses. I'd like a game as the CSA where I'm not doomed to lose please.

:sad:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Since it's dynamic like that, if someone to mod and give the Legacy Slavery law to other countries, does that mean we could see an American Civil War style Civil War break out at some point in other countries? That'd be pretty fun and lead to some interesting mods, I think.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

Since it's dynamic like that, if someone to mod and give the Legacy Slavery law to other countries, does that mean we could see an American Civil War style Civil War break out at some point in other countries? That'd be pretty fun and lead to some interesting mods, I think.
The thing that causes the American Civil War is a journal entry, not the Legacy Slavery law. You could mod the game to add a similar journal entry, though, so probably.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Really hoping there's a "Do It Again, Uncle Billy!" achievement somewhere. I'm not sure what it'd be for, but I want it to exist.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

The US has some specific journal content that influences how the ACW and its leadup play out, but theoretically any country could have a Revolution resulting from attempts to change its slavery law, because any law change can do that. Legacy Slavery, specifically, could could appear in a number of Latin American states that had slavery but were then pressured by Britain into abolishing further importation. They just might not have a a hard geographical divide between slave and free States like the US had.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Arrath posted:

My takeaway is to build all my farms in one state and marginalize the landholders elsewhere so when the Civil War kicks off its some puny little rump rebellion.

going to do the opposite of this to fast track america into being a turboevil slave state

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fray posted:

The US has some specific journal content that influences how the ACW and its leadup play out, but theoretically any country could have a Revolution resulting from attempts to change its slavery law, because any law change can do that. Legacy Slavery, specifically, could could appear in a number of Latin American states that had slavery but were then pressured by Britain into abolishing further importation. They just might not have a a hard geographical divide between slave and free States like the US had.

Ahh I get it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

the nugget of truth buried deep down in all the Lost Cause horseshit is that the way things went for the Confederacy was significantly better than any reasonable war planner could expect, and they still lost big time

building a system where ability to win wars emerges from a nation's material ability to wage them, and also the Confederacy can win the Civil War, is a real tricky needle to thread

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Pretty sure that's supposed to be simulated by interest groups making it impractical to fire McClellan.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the nugget of truth buried deep down in all the Lost Cause horseshit is that the way things went for the Confederacy was significantly better than any reasonable war planner could expect, and they still lost big time

building a system where ability to win wars emerges from a nation's material ability to wage them, and also the Confederacy can win the Civil War, is a real tricky needle to thread

Well, Generals are still a thing that affect the outcome and I'm howling to see what McClellan looks like in-game. I've said a couple times that I still want some sort of split fronts, and the ACW is probably the biggest reason why, since one of its notable aspects is the disparity between Union leadership east and west of the Appalachians. Some historians have argued that the reason one saw Union talent arise in the west is because those fronts were seen as less important. Command of the Army of the Potomac was a very tricky political problem for Lincoln that kept people in place despite repeated fuckups and brought down George Meade despite his winning Gettysburg. That's exactly the sort of military-political interplay I want from Victoria.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Is there a non/historical ai option?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Pretty sure that's supposed to be simulated by interest groups making it impractical to fire McClellan.

You mean Butler?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

The real issue people fail to consider in the Lost Cause horseshit is that the Confederacy won the peace.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

ilitarist posted:

This seems like "some testing and balancing" problem.

In this reddit post, I see the same familiar mindset that wants Indian soldiers to be objectively worse than Europeans in 1790s because at that time historically British won wars there. This or that state was abolitionist in 1836 so it's impossible for them to join CSA 20 years later! This is backwards thinking that assumes that real history is the right version of history and even ignores how different that USA on this screenshot from what it really was in history at that point.

it’s backwards thinking of history to have such an elementary and bad understanding of slave politics in America in 1836 to think it was ezpz possible for Pennsylvania or New York to join the confederacy.

I kind of want to let it lie there with, uh, passive aggression/just aggression, but like, there were extremely entrenched institutions at play in 1836 across both sides of the Mason Dixon line and overall state governments in the urban north were just wholly, wholly unable to want this sort of thing. Yes, even in a situation where urbanization stops immediately at 1836.

There are fuzzy states on both sides - remember the North literally just kept West Virginia, Maryland was weird, you had the western front where the GOAT John Brown tried to help things - and there ahistoricity is totally cool and chill. But New York State? No, sorry, you’re betraying a deep misunderstanding of American history thinking everyone else is dumb.

fwiw I don’t care about it in the context of the game thet much lol. I think some hardcoding or whatever for reasonable CSA is fine, maybe even some elements of state govt being represented in future DLC or whatever to make it hyper dynamic. it was really just the above assumption that one of the most studied and analyzed aspects of the civil war - the north’s hostility to “slave power” - is actually so easy to go anywhere in the world!!!! that bugged me. namaste

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

I can’t believe I’m effortposting about the American loving civil war this is a new low for me.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

guidoanselmi posted:

Is there a non/historical ai option?

No, and I doubt there ever will be. 'Historical AI' only works in HoI4 because of the focus system and that it takes place in a relatively short time period; without it, there's no real way to force the aI to perform in historically accurate ways.

I mean, how do you enforce a Russo-Japanese war in 1904ish when that's almost 7 decades after the start date and it's entirely possible that one or both states has collapsed, or doesn't have territorial ambitions in that area, or stuff like that.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ultimately I will accept any compromising of the american civil war now that I know you can play as new afrika.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lady Radia posted:

it’s backwards thinking of history to have such an elementary and bad understanding of slave politics in America in 1836 to think it was ezpz possible for Pennsylvania or New York to join the confederacy.

I kind of want to let it lie there with, uh, passive aggression/just aggression, but like, there were extremely entrenched institutions at play in 1836 across both sides of the Mason Dixon line and overall state governments in the urban north were just wholly, wholly unable to want this sort of thing. Yes, even in a situation where urbanization stops immediately at 1836.

There are fuzzy states on both sides - remember the North literally just kept West Virginia, Maryland was weird, you had the western front where the GOAT John Brown tried to help things - and there ahistoricity is totally cool and chill. But New York State? No, sorry, you’re betraying a deep misunderstanding of American history thinking everyone else is dumb.

fwiw I don’t care about it in the context of the game thet much lol. I think some hardcoding or whatever for reasonable CSA is fine, maybe even some elements of state govt being represented in future DLC or whatever to make it hyper dynamic. it was really just the above assumption that one of the most studied and analyzed aspects of the civil war - the north’s hostility to “slave power” - is actually so easy to go anywhere in the world!!!! that bugged me. namaste
I feel like one aspect of that's being ignored is the timing. The way to make the Confederacy stronger relative to the US isn't to expand it far beyond any historical reason, it's having the war kick off when the south is relatively more powerful early on. I suppose you could also have the North be less committed to the territorial integrity of the US, though I am not sure how realistic that is.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like one aspect of that's being ignored is the timing. The way to make the Confederacy stronger relative to the US isn't to expand it far beyond any historical reason, it's having the war kick off when the south is relatively more powerful early on. I suppose you could also have the North be less committed to the territorial integrity of the US, though I am not sure how realistic that is.
If you had an appropriately involved war exhaustion mechanic, then it would be plausible for the North to just kind of give up if the war goes on for a few years, they haven't made much headway and/or have lost Washington D.C., and they've suffered a lot of casualties.

Beyond that, the strength of the CSA depends on questions such as the westward expansion of slavery, whether the USA annexes additional Mexican territory and/or gets into military adventures in the Caribbean vs. possible expansion in the north, and the status of bubble states like Missouri, Kentucky, and Maryland. Though in the lattermost case it's impossible to imagine any Union administration not putting Maryland under martial law, because not doing so would basically require them to abandon Washington D.C.
It would pretty much always be an underdog though.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

If you had an appropriately involved war exhaustion mechanic, then it would be plausible for the North to just kind of give up if the war goes on for a few years, they haven't made much headway and/or have lost Washington D.C., and they've suffered a lot of casualties.

Beyond that, the strength of the CSA depends on questions such as the westward expansion of slavery, whether the USA annexes additional Mexican territory and/or gets into military adventures in the Caribbean vs. possible expansion in the north, and the status of bubble states like Missouri, Kentucky, and Maryland. Though in the lattermost case it's impossible to imagine any Union administration not putting Maryland under martial law, because not doing so would basically require them to abandon Washington D.C.

as it should be. Dixie must burn

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I wonder how fortifications in a province will be represented? By the end of the war Washington DC was a sprawling fortress complex and it was never seriously threatened by the traitor forces at all.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

do any of the devs who haunt this thread as a ghost know if you can release new Africa to play it day 1 or does it have to emerge as an element of the civil war

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

OPAONI posted:

I wonder how fortifications in a province will be represented? By the end of the war Washington DC was a sprawling fortress complex and it was never seriously threatened by the traitor forces at all.

That's a good question.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

ilitarist posted:

This seems like "some testing and balancing" problem.

In this reddit post, I see the same familiar mindset that wants Indian soldiers to be objectively worse than Europeans in 1790s because at that time historically British won wars there. This or that state was abolitionist in 1836 so it's impossible for them to join CSA 20 years later! This is backwards thinking that assumes that real history is the right version of history and even ignores how different that USA on this screenshot from what it really was in history at that point.

Victoria 3: I don't know a lot about Cromwell antebellum America

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I thought the mega-CSA was hilarious, but the Devs have replied to the initial reddit post

PDXMikael posted:

This is (obviously) a weird outcome that we don't want to happen, and we're actively looking into it. As many have pointed out in the thread, the reason it's happening is because the political power centers in the USA in this particular playthrough have developed in a certain way. For many revolutions this might make sense, but in this case it's over an issue that should not be important to landowners in non-slave-states. This should affect the weighting of the revolting states, but currently it does not.

PDJR_Alastorn-PDS posted:

We've got a few ideas of what to do to get this where its more acceptable.I've been blunt on the forums/discord that I want to consider any "hardcoding" of free/slave states as a last resort. A bespoke code solution will constantly break going forward. We don't want to rule out any historical irregularities, but we also want those irregularities to be reasonable.

The above picture is not considered reasonable but also when we explain why it happened, its not to be confused with us saying we are okay with it - explaining why is to also think through the mechanics of what we can do.

You're conflating things, without understanding the intent of the systems behind them - let me pull from my thread on the discord.

I understand the concerns but a little explanation:

The US is the only nation that has the distinction between Free State and Slave State and the duality of having both exist at once.

For all other countries - Slave State is merely a modifier which means that this state can have slaves and that it will partake in part of the slave trade. There is no mechanic for this in other countries so for the distinction of base code - this difference has been unnecessary.

For the US system to help better reflect its uniqueness we use that modifier as well but it pulls double duty to the player (as we can no doubt see from this feedback) that there is the perception it reflects where people think the full support for the this law is but its not always a 1:1 based on the base system + US specific content.

The Revolution is determined because of IGs who are empowered in the revolt and which Pops support that IG and where they are determines which states flip. We've got some extra code to give adjacency bonuses to try and clear up spots (yet somehow I am looking at you South Carolina which avoided things... sigh).

It looks like we don't look into whether or not a state is flagged as a free state or a slave state or if we do its no longer pulling a majority of the weight because pops are moving around more than they have traditionally when we balanced it.

(This can happen regularly, problem with making such an interconnected game is balancing one thing can imbalance another and the job of balancing is never ending.)

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

OPAONI posted:

This came up in the AMA and as is so often the case with "I wonder how/if X will be represented" questions, the answer is "not at all".

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wonder if this could be solved by making the southern planters and the northern landholders separate interest groups? That way if the planters revolt they dont pull the northern landholders in unless you somehow piss off both groups.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

do any of the devs who haunt this thread as a ghost know if you can release new Africa to play it day 1 or does it have to emerge as an element of the civil war

Wondering this myself.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lady Radia posted:

Just as crazy as Massachusetts joining the CSA, I don't think anyone has mentioned that South Carolina did not! This is a full on bizzaro universe that cannot be defended.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

clearly the riots in nyc and boston turned into workers soviets and led to similar+slave rebellions in the south and the south carolinas bourgeoisie pulled out of the csa easy as

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Lady Radia posted:

What I'm saying we have a completely different USA in a completely different world with the Civil War happening in completely different circumstances. Devs insist on using the real world terminology there to put it all in a certain perspective. But I do see your point. As long as devs don't call it "An American Civil War That is Very Different from the Historical One" they should make sure an outcome like this should be made near impossible.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

I wonder if this could be solved by making the southern planters and the northern landholders separate interest groups? That way if the planters revolt they dont pull the northern landholders in unless you somehow piss off both groups.

I'm not sure if they want 2 interest groups that are identical except for one issue.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its not like there isnt some wiggle room on what states join the CSA or not. Plenty of slave states on the border sided with the union instead of the confederacy for various reasons. If the political winds blew a little differently Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland and Missouri could have flipped the other way. Hell if Kansas ends up a slave state instead of a free state like it did historically large parts of the west could have gone to the CSA too, but the idea that New York would join the CSA under any circumstances is historical malpractice. In order to have a reshuffling of that magnitude you would have to go a lot further back than the game's start date to even make it plausible.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Hellioning posted:

I'm not sure if they want 2 interest groups that are identical except for one issue.

One group wants steet signs in Dixie, the other in Yankee.

The IG system begs for some regional entrenched groups, but it's probably very hard to draw the line. Like it's strange that (I assume) only the official religion has representation as Clergy, but this can of worms is too dangerous to tackle.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Arrath posted:

Yeah, I'm looking at that map and thinking "Wow, the player took some weird decisions/set up their economy in a bizarre way."

I'm definitely playing the USA for my first game, so I'm on the lookout for Civil War cheese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

ilitarist posted:

The IG system begs for some regional entrenched groups, but it's probably very hard to draw the line. Like it's strange that (I assume) only the official religion has representation as Clergy, but this can of worms is too dangerous to tackle.

Wouldn't this depend on the discrimination laws? I would think that enfranchisement/non-discrimination for same religious group/ other groups would impact which religions' Clergy the Devout draws power from (even if they do broadly support the same ideas). Though I may be way off.