Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Hooplah posted:

does qp have a hidden matchmaking system at all?
yes qp does have hidden MMR and you will quickly rise to ~50% win rate games as the rebooted mmr system works itself out through the playerbase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

The videos I've seen of Apex suggest console players are better at close quarters fragging then PC and the Quake player inside of me howls in rage at the thought.
call of duty, apex, and the latest halo all have a system where the aim assist instantly tracks changes in direction with zero input from the aim stick lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufw8bnIfG7E&t=28s

i was worried cross-input roller was going to be forced b/c this is a blizz-activision game but it looks like mouse players are safe for now...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

comedyblissoption posted:

call of duty, apex, and the latest halo all have a system where the aim assist instantly tracks changes in direction with zero input from the aim stick lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufw8bnIfG7E&t=28s

i was worried cross-input roller was going to be forced b/c this is a blizz-activision game but it looks like mouse players are safe for now...

Fuckin disgusting. I had thought aim asist was, like, a larger hit box area where the reticle snaps to.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Father Wendigo posted:

If you are playing on console and chose to enable cross play for expedited matchmaking, you deserve to know Blizzard is putting you at a significant disadvantage for doing so.

Lol at putting the blame on Blizzard here

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

people getting mad at blizzard for the one good thing they've done recently

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s so strong in apex every pro team makes players switch to controller, even lifetime KB&M players that previously won championships lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Console players should suffer.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

yes but others should not have to suffer alongside them

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Wheeee posted:

yes but others should not have to suffer alongside them

You won’t get queued with/against console players unless you have one in your party I believe.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ideally if there is cross-input play the inputs are balanced to parity and everyone is happy, but the actual real world temptation is for developers to overtune controller trying to capture that market and based on potentially false beliefs about controller players

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think all Overwatch players should have to use controllers regardless

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Bottom Liner posted:

You won’t get queued with/against console players unless you have one in your party I believe.

My understanding is that the only way crossplay occurs between console and PC is if a console player queues with a PC player, then they'll be tossed into games with other PC players. If that is accurate, that two people queuing together can insert 1+ console players into an otherwise PC lobby, then Blizzard absolutely made the right call.

Not that this is or would be a large scale issue, but you know.

If the lil controller using piggies want to squeal about lack of auto-aim Blizzard could always just do the inverse and dump PC players into console lobbies, because it's okay they're just wanting to play with their friends how dare you police their input methods.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wheeee posted:

My understanding is that the only way crossplay occurs between console and PC is if a console player queues with a PC player, then they'll be tossed into games with other PC players. If that is accurate, that two people queuing together can insert 1+ console players into an otherwise PC lobby, then Blizzard absolutely made the right call.

Not that this is or would be a large scale issue, but you know.

If the lil controller using piggies want to squeal about lack of auto-aim Blizzard could always just do the inverse and dump PC players into console lobbies, because it's okay they're just wanting to play with their friends how dare you police their input methods.

You just made me realize something. I wonder if OW2 is balanced around controllers. I know it sounds stupid but I've seen that happen with Rainbow Six Siege, all of the developers were literally only playing with a controller and balancing the game around it.

It would definitely explain why they'd think that the current state of Supports is acceptable.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I doubt it as OWL is played on M/KB

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

You just made me realize something. I wonder if OW2 is balanced around controllers. I know it sounds stupid but I've seen that happen with Rainbow Six Siege, all of the developers were literally only playing with a controller and balancing the game around it.

It would definitely explain why they'd think that the current state of Supports is acceptable.

Probably no but tbh wouldn't be that surprised, if not for the whole forced pro scene they're still leaning on.

When they were doing Halo MCC test flights I played one and mouse users were getting hosed since the rifles had uncontrollable bloom 'recoil' which was automatically tightened up by controller aim assist, meaning even if you could track perfectly with a mouse a controller player was just straight up putting more rounds on target than you. At longer ranges controllers had powerful snap-to assist as well, I mean it's Halo of course it's designed around controllers, but it was extremely blatant.

What's in Apex and CoD now is even more sophisticated, if you look at that video linked above it's absurd, aside from broader movement and situational awareness requirements these console FPS are practically playing themselves, and that's absolutely intentional to make players feel better and play more.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

players claim the latest halo has anti-aim assist for mouse where your reticle automatically moves off-target with hipfire on the sniper weapon to reduce the power of mouse quickscoping

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

wouldn't surprise me

there's a reason csgo is still the king of esports and will likely always be the king of esports for as long as we're playing games on a monitor

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdwICfpDYWM&t=96s

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

lmao

just fuckin delete consoles

except nintendo

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's really important to emphasize that this isn't a console/pc issue but an input issue. newer generation is adding mouse input on console and people do like to play roller on pc.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

from what i've seen mouse on console gets people even more riled up than autoaim on PC

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

does ow2 on console allow mouse input now? it was an issue that people would effectively cheat by using a xim on console on overwatch 1.

[note that some people cheat on PC on warzone et al by using a mouse on xim to get the aim assist lol]

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wooooooooow

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

comedyblissoption posted:

[note that some people cheat on PC on warzone et al by using a mouse on xim to get the aim assist lol]

i love this poo poo

you have to have an utterly broken mind and sense of self to cheat at no-stakes games, it's honestly fascinating looking at the absurdly insane entitlement of the freaks on cheat software forums for example

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the funniest cheating to me is the extremely rampant cheating in no stakes online chess

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i assume it's all predicated on the same logic as people who buy account boosts, which is one of either "my dogshit teammates are holding me back so cheating/boosting is the only way i can get to my 'true' MMR" or "i want to take screencaps of my MMR and brag to girls at the esports bar"

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

sometimes, but a lot of it is seriously just malignant narcissists needing validation

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People with big egos but no talent

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Call it like a noob take or whatever but 5v5 has convinced me that Widow needs to be reworked somehow. Her impact at just deleting someone instantly makes her probably the only hero in the game where if the enemy team has a Widow the whole game now shifts from countering the enemy team to countering her. In this one tank game now it's tiring if you play tank to be told to switch to a shield tank because once she deletes a player in a microsecond the fights basically over. Plus there's really no middle ground with her, out of all of the heroes she's either likely to be controlled by a head destroying god or someone who doesn't contribute anything to the team, so if you get a widow on your team it's a coin flip as to whether you're effectively down a player damage wise.

And also you know what? Regardless of if you can counter her fairly easily or not (depending on what rank you're in especially), I can't really think of any round I've played of Overwatch where facing a Widow on the enemy team was fun. If you're playing support the annoying DPS heroes that target you are at least fun to duel, Sombra, Genji etc can make your life miserable but they're a challenging and often rewarding fight.

Also I do say all this knowing they will never touch her, just wanted to vent.

Oh and the servers seem to be crapping themselves at the moment.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I played a comp match last night where we had two dueling Widows on Circuit Royal. It was pretty cool to see them trade kills on one another. Our Widow ended up being better, but the other Widow was also decent.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How do you feel about Roadhog, who can also delete lots of people.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Aim assist isn't a problem if it's tuned right. It's just a balance between making console players competitive and making them overpowered. There is a line you can hit somewhere between Apex and zero aim assist. It was funny to see the meltdown of controller players during 2042's busted launch though where aim assist was consistently broken. Apparently it's in a good spot now but I'm not getting dominated by console players.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Did they change the hitbox on Roadhog's hook for OW2? I feel like every Hog I've played with/against never misses connecting with that poo poo lol.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I feel like it was never hard to hook people; I'm not some super gamer but it always had a big hit box and generous client side detection, now there's just less barriers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

I feel like it was never hard to hook people; I'm not some super gamer but it always had a big hit box and generous client side detection, now there's just less barriers.

Ahh yeah, maybe that's it. Less barriers having an effect on higher hook rates makes sense I guess. More open map design as well?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Widow is a character this game never should have had, she vacillates between useless and oppressive while loving with the flow of a small team game with long respawns via being a hitscan OHK sniper.

Shield barrier tanks were a larger problem with the game's design, but Widow never should have existed as she is in a game like this.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Not sure how you can really rework her without completely changing her Identity.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Jack B Nimble posted:

How do you feel about Roadhog, who can also delete lots of people.

Roadhog doesnt need your team to specifically change their set up to counter. The game doesnt all suddenly become we need to counter the Roadhog when he's on the enemy team. He's an incredibly easy hero to play around, you spot him coming a mile away right at the start of a match and he's a fat target that literally any hero in the game can shoot and build ult off, he's great.

Also Widow doesnt suit this game anyway. Every other hero can contribute to the team fight in every part of the fight. Hanzo who is the other "sniper" can easily fight in the mid and short range around the tank if you're good enough for example. She's part of a team but she doesn't assist the team unless she's doing the single and only thing she can do. Every other dps even if they're long/ mid range heroes can roll around with the main team helping push the payload, cap the point, chase the low health enemies etc.

And with the smaller team comps if the other team has a flanker determined to get her, well she's miles away so there's zero way to help, with the single tank you kinda now have to have both supports near the bulk of your team because tanks get so much focus and keeping your one tank alive is key, so she often just gets ganked over and over.

Mega Comrade posted:

Not sure how you can really rework her without completely changing her Identity.

I dont know really, take a page from TF2's book and she has to charge her sniper to get the max damage, otherwise her headshots dont kill players instantly maybe. Or maybe her headshots reduce players to 1 health and that encourages teamwork because it encourages you to get on the mic and tell your team "Zen is 1" etc. Give her a different kit that isnt the grapple and mine (just let her climb walls), giving her more usefulness in close range team fights so she's encouraged to be sometimes closer to the team and not force a support to go a mile away to save her.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 13, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

Make her a sneaky close-range assassin idk it doesn't matter because:

Just Chamber posted:

Also I do say all this knowing they will never touch her, just wanted to vent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Patch (nothing interesting)

quote:

Heroes

Zenyatta

No longer receives extra attack speed on top of the bonus from Kiriko's ultimate

I DEMAND THE RETURN OF METHYATTA

Dev Blog: No major hero changes appear to be planned until Season 2, heroes seem balanced (well, other than Doomfist, JQ, Torb, Symm). Low ranking was a bug, going to increase speed of ranking up for affected.