Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Alex Jones doing a Sandy Hook then denying it happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
You know, I wonder if he'd ever try to pull off some sort of false flag thing to try to show how easy it would be for the government to pull it off. And then when people rightly call him out about how what he did was fake and here's the evidence why, he doubles down on it and tries to sue them.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So fake his death. He'll botch it

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Hasn't he done something similar with Pizzagate? Wasn't something he did was make a huge deal about it on his show to the point people were getting threatened and eventually the mainstream media had to cover it.

Then he turned around and did something that sounded close to "I only did that story to force the media to cover a story that wasn't real. They're making it news, not me."

(I MIGHT be thinking of someone else, though.)

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I do have a question in regards to his debt and the bankruptcy. Do the court cases take priority over the debts he's tried to say that Infowars has to the shell companies? As in those debts must be paid before anything else besides absolutely required and cleared payments to suppliers and the like?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I do have a question in regards to his debt and the bankruptcy. Do the court cases take priority over the debts he's tried to say that Infowars has to the shell companies? As in those debts must be paid before anything else besides absolutely required and cleared payments to suppliers and the like?

That's decided in bankruptcy court, I believe.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

You know, I wonder if he'd ever try to pull off some sort of false flag thing to try to show how easy it would be for the government to pull it off. And then when people rightly call him out about how what he did was fake and here's the evidence why, he doubles down on it and tries to sue them.

I guess it's only appropriate that the thread about the ridiculous conspiracy theories guy has descended into people posting ridiculous conspiracy theories

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Since he owns or otherwise controls those shell companies anyway, it probably doesn’t matter if the money moves from A to B before going to C (the victims)

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Main Paineframe posted:

I guess it's only appropriate that the thread about the ridiculous conspiracy theories guy has descended into people posting ridiculous conspiracy theories

I didn't say that he has done anything of the sort or even that he is planning to do anything of the sort. I'm curious if he will try at some point. That's not a conspiracy theory.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Normally he could do all sorts of poo poo with the Free Speech System assets - sell them for a dollar to a shell corporation in the cayman islands, for example. However

AJ doesn't run Free Speech Systems anymore. He hosed around so much that the court appointed an executor (not sure on the term?) to run Free Speech Systems through the bankruptcy proceedings. AJ is basically locked out of his business, and very specifically locked out from doing anything like this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Alex Jones will come out admitting that all of his career has been parody, thereby cancelling the court ruling because parody is protected speech.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Judges hate this one weird trick

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol @ being crowders lawyer rn

i mean that applies at any time, but especially right now.

Lol at being Crowder.

"Oh look, Alex is spewing his conspiracy theories again. The gross slanders that resulted in a Billion dollar fine. Now he's doing it on my show! Cool, cool. Guess I'll just sit here with a blank look on my face, maybe nod a little just to show I'm listening"

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vampire Panties posted:

Normally he could do all sorts of poo poo with the Free Speech System assets - sell them for a dollar to a shell corporation in the cayman islands, for example. However

AJ doesn't run Free Speech Systems anymore. He hosed around so much that the court appointed an executor (not sure on the term?) to run Free Speech Systems through the bankruptcy proceedings. AJ is basically locked out of his business, and very specifically locked out from doing anything like this.

The term is "Trustee". Though Executive, Attack Accountant, G-Man, etc. all get the point across.

This is something I've been trying to scream at a few people in the last couple days who are going "...oh but he's rich and white and male he'll get off..." Jones doesn't own any of his own property anymore. The government does and he's using it at the the government's sufferance. Once the trustee gets settled in (oh and the trustee's wages are paid from FSS's coffers too for a bit of extra deliciousness) and start digging through all of his books we'll probably see Jones start losing his poo poo. Jones is going to find that all of the money he squirreled away will slide through his fingers like sand when he tries to reach for it. Any new money coming in from the people donating to him is also going to evaporate as well. The trustee is also almost certainly going to be selling off his stuff (and not necessarily aiming for the best deals, though they will probably try to get a reasonable amount considering who the money goes to in the end).

It might take a while but Jones is going to be de-platformed because the trustee is going to leave him with little more than the best cardboard box Jones' remaining finances will let him live in. All that nice studio equipment will certainly sell for a decent amount of money.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pirate Radar posted:

Since he owns or otherwise controls those shell companies anyway, it probably doesn’t matter if the money moves from A to B before going to C (the victims)
It does matter for the non-Sandy Hook creditors whose only claim is to the original bankrupt company Free Speech Systems LLC, and to whom the court owes a degree of fairness in the handling of the estate. But since he's so transparent about his attempts to stiff his creditors he's gonna learn what "fraudulent conveyances" means in very painful detail.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

kw0134 posted:

It does matter for the non-Sandy Hook creditors whose only claim is to the original bankrupt company Free Speech Systems LLC, and to whom the court owes a degree of fairness in the handling of the estate. But since he's so transparent about his attempts to stiff his creditors he's gonna learn what "fraudulent conveyances" means in very painful detail.

I’m misinformed then since I thought all of FSS’s significant creditors were Jones’s own shell companies.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Probably by value of the so-called debts, but the actual legitimate creditors like his phone company and his pre-bankruptcy lawyers and maybe the caterer who did his Christmas party still have to get listed in the petition and that's whom the court will want to protect. But of course by every realistic metric at the time he filed for protection FSS was super loving solvent and it would be absolutely remiss by the trustee to let those creditors get turbofucked because Jones was playing games with the court.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Mr. Nice! posted:

In bankruptcy news, the new CRO has officially been appointed. He and his firm will be the ones running FSS. FSS is paying them $50k/month to do it, too.

Where can I get this info (to show to others)?

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Nenonen posted:

Alex Jones will come out admitting that all of his career has been parody, thereby cancelling the court ruling because parody is protected speech.

My name is Nathan Fielder and I graduated from business school with really good grades. The plan: rebrand as Dumb Free Speech Systems

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Alkydere posted:

All that nice studio equipment will certainly sell for a decent amount of money.

"Apologies for the quality today, but the DEEP STATE is forcing me to record this on a refurbished iPhone 1. Anyway, I need EVERYONE to buy more Brain Boner Pills to help pay my Hoax Crisis Actor Bill."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hopefully it gets bought by his fans who want a memento and will bid up the price.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

He's saying sandy hook happened, that's progress!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

goatface posted:

Hopefully it gets bought by his fans who want a memento and will bid up the price.

Chaos comedy options:

Fans buy Jones' stuff to give it back to him...and the trustee sells it again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Morter posted:

Where can I get this info (to show to others)?

Here is the bankruptcy docket on Court Listener's Recap archive:

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/64868456/free-speech-systems-llc/

Docket 239 is the Order allowing employment of the new CRO Patrick McGill.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
New episode of Knowledge Fight is up!

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009

Alkydere posted:

All that nice studio equipment will certainly sell for a decent amount of money.

Would like to buy his mic just to smash it to poo poo then burn the remaining pile of rubble.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
How will the courts be able to resolve the conflict where Jones' continued broadcast is necessary to continue to pay off the massive judgement, but that he also keeps defaming the same people in said broadcast?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

It is a paradox!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Here I imagine that the plaintiffs will seek to enjoin Jones from defaming them further as part of the final disposition of their suit and if it happens he can't make any more money ooooh welllllll. But the idea that defendant's tortious conduct is going to pay for the remedy is not a new concern, it happened with the tobacco industry suits back in the 90s, and it's a concern with the way the Purdue Pharma (makers of Oxycontin) settlement is gonna work where the new owners of the drug maker will crank out opioids so the states can take care of the opioid addiction problem. That's a little...uh, what?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blurred posted:

This might have been discussed much earlier in the thread, but given that Alex Jones doesn't actually have $1 billion to pay the families then what exactly is he obliged to do from here on? His existing assets get sold off, I guess, and he goes into bankruptcy, but he can keep working as a presenter so long as all his non-essential income goes to his creditors? Can the failure to pay debts land you in prison in the US? And is FSS an entirely separate legal entity, or is it also on the hook for the damages owed here?

It's important to remember that debts, including ones where they're because of a lawsuit, aren't really structured in a "punishment" way, strictly speaking. It's like the difference between going to prison (for simple possession) for being a drug addict and going to rehab for being a drug addict, while many people would consider rehab to be a living hell and a punishment it's coming from a very different place. The point of declaring personal bankruptcy or otherwise having your assets and control of your finances seized is usually something of a cry for help; you (or the courts on your behalf) are more or less saying "my financial situation is out of control and I need an adult". In fact if your reasons for going bankrupt are "I'm getting paid jack poo poo and don't really own anything of value like a house anyway" you can come out largely ahead from declaring personal bankruptcy.

It's also important to remember that being on the losing end of a lawsuit like this doesn't make you a capital C Criminal, so as much as Jones like to scream about how his freedoms are taken away they pretty much haven't. He can still work for anyone who'll hire him, I'm pretty sure he could buy a gun if he wanted to (at least a cheaper one), he can definitely vote etc., and he can still even earn a kind of lower-middle-class income.

Basically once things properly settle he'll just have a "parent" who controls his finances and gives him an allowance that forces him to live the rest of his days as a lower-middle-class person, and InfoWars will no longer exist. In theory, if they were willing to take the no doubt considerable liability risk for inevitable future shenanigans, there's nothing prevent, say, OAN from hiring him and giving him a regular spot on their network, which Alex can then go home from in his beater car to his one bedroom rented apartment. If you saw the ending of the TV Series The Shield it's basically the "from greatness to crushingly boring mediocrity" hell that Vic Mackey is put through at the end, so he "suffers" even though he sees no prison for his heinous crimes.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Oct 14, 2022

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Vic Mackey cubicle hell is a fate worse than death for Alex.

E: v His desk will be bare other than a picture of Lem Dan Bidondi, the only infowarrior he didn’t betray.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 14, 2022

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

red19fire posted:

The Vic Mackey cubicle hell is a fate worse than death for Alex.

Alex Jones opening the safe at work at the end of the day and taking out his five-alarm chili. He sits and stares at it silently for two full minutes, before sighing and then heading home.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Shumagorath posted:

New episode of Knowledge Fight is up!

Four hours of uproarious laughter?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Four hours of uproarious laughter?

That's the weekend special they're planning.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
They crack champagne which made me so happy for some reason.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
lolling remembering when i thought 'well the texas suit is for 100 million but they'll never get that. i'll be satisfied if it's, like, 50 million'

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

I wish big pharma lawsuits were as proportional to the harm/profit as this case was. This feels like progress.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Scam Likely posted:

I wish big pharma lawsuits were as proportional to the harm/profit as this case was. This feels like progress.

Big pharma doesn't have an ego it needs to feed to slake it's narcissism. Corporate lawyers will easily and (relative to profits) cheaply lie the right lies to a court, and pharma companies will absolutely play along to keep the bottom line fat and happy.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
New Opening Arguments also goes over the verdict and gets into the various ways he won't be able to wriggle out of it.

Not a whole lot in there that we haven't discussed here but I did learn that if he appeals it doesn't automatically stay the judgement at all. He would have to separately request a stay pending the appeal that the court could then allow or not and lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I remember seeing bits and pieces of him antagonizing this lady judge and her extremely not having it. Is this the same judge in charge of the $1B judgement or did he also antagonize another judge that now has it out for him?