Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

That's a nice looking Hound. Siege Hound is what got me back into the toys properly so I definitely want one.

Also, SS86 Ironhide is a delightful lad, but is anyone else finding that getting the last bit of his vehicle mode to tab in properly is a lot more stiff and awkward than it ought to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You mean clipping the front and the middle together right at the end? That's a bit of a harrowing moment for sure, especially with the clear plastic. But once it's done he holds together fine.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

You mean clipping the front and the middle together right at the end? That's a bit of a harrowing moment for sure, especially with the clear plastic. But once it's done he holds together fine.

Yeah, it's just getting those clips in there, really feels like you're going to snap something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I thought I was doing something wrong at first, but nah, you just gotta apply some force.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
The Bay Saga as I see it:

* TF: kills Jazz, worst film ever
* TF2: did not see until after I saw AoE simply because everyone warned how bad it was. Thus when I finally did see it, it was shite but not as bad as I expected
* TF3: first one I saw in a cinema, a dear but obviously insane friend suggested we go and we ended up Statler & Waldorfing through the entire thing. Utter garbage
* TF4: Back once again to hatewatch and heckle but it was at this point I realised these films were Bay's satirical masterpieces of American 'culture'. The R&J scene is clearly to reveal to international audiences the full depths of American insanity, which ramps up to the point where I think eventually entered a hallucinogenic state and imagined it ends with Optimus Prime killing Frasier before flying off to kill God. Incroyable!
*TF5: the most deliriously batshit loving thing I've possibly ever seen at a cinema, an absolute comedy masterpiece while also serving as Bay's final condemnation of 21st century Earth - we are literally in Hell and Robot Satan slumbers below. It's precisely what we as a culture deserve, absolute febrile cinema

It sure ain't the Transformers I grew up with and the designs are all ugly as vomit-covered dogshit but overall, it's some of the best satire the US has ever produced and I love it for that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Bay Saga as I see it:
  • TF1: Not a very good movie, introduces a terrible aesthetic where I can barely see any faces and all that mess of details doesn't really make for good toys.
  • TF2: Never saw it, but had some pretty amazing choices in the toyline with figures I never would've expected in Transformers and a creativity to alt-modes that hasn't been equaled since. Biplane, modern naval warship, new kinds of trucks and cars that the franchise never really does.
  • TF3: Never saw it, not as much creativity in the toyline, but still a couple gems. Human alliance was an interesting gimmick, but not enough for me to buy more than one of them. Neat snowmobile.
  • TF4: Never saw it, the robot dinosaurs were kind of neat, although the shine does wear off after a little while. They still transform in ways unique from the rest of the franchise. Pterodactyl with articulated wings. Hound is nothing to do with G1, but a truck with a buttload of handheld weapons is still neat.
  • TF5: Never saw it. Toyline was pretty small, might've indicated the movie side of the franchise kinda falling apart. Didn't feel a need for any more dinosaurs, but drat if that scooter isn't the cutest little guy ever.
Over time the franchise moved away from the more fragile, nearly impossible to replicate in the real world aesthetic and leaned more into "solid" designs with less free floating-bits.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That hound look good

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
TF1 is a perfect teen comedy up until the moment the rest of the Transformers show up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

My kids got me Legacy Knockout for my birthday and he's pretty great. Hooray for toys

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

War and Pieces posted:

TF1 is a perfect teen comedy up until the moment the rest of the Transformers show up.

Sam's theme being lifted from American Beauty is one of those weird little windows into the thought process behind the movie. American Beauty isn't the kind of movie you would usually go to when looking for temp track music for your action blockbuster about alien robots, so at some point someone had to connect the dots between Sam's weird hyper-saturated suburbia and the weird fakey pre-9/11 suburbia from American Beauty. Like, Sam Witwicky is definitely the kind of kid who could grow up to be Lester Burnham if he didn't have his life up-ended by killer space robots.

Hell, he might have done that anyway - he pretty much dropped off the map after Dark of the Moon, where his big character defining moment was essentially him deciding "I'm not a mail boy... I'm a mail MAN".

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bumblebee is the only live action TF movie worth watching, and it's actually a Fun and Good Movie™

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Silhouette posted:

Bumblebee is the only live action TF movie worth watching, and it's actually a Fun and Good Movie™

yeah, can't disagree with this

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/hongniang1/status/1580993196883968000

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Go bishonen, you cowards.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Y'know, not the first time I've seen Starscream's design stretched into something like that. Although I don't get what the horns are there for.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

This is an elaborate fake.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

This is an elaborate fake.

Great, now I have to find a Plain, Ordinary Tailor to help me blow up your ship as you go back to Romulus.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

SlothfulCobra posted:

Y'know, not the first time I've seen Starscream's design stretched into something like that. Although I don't get what the horns are there for.

the horns are the shoulder stacks, but yeah it's fake

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Technowolf posted:

Great, now I have to find a Plain, Ordinary Tailor to help me blow up your ship as you go back to Romulus.

Can you live with that?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good that it's a fake, she's got the drat fang so you know she'd be trouble

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
making GBS threads hell, watching a video of a third party movie Drift and it looks utterly incredible. The robot mode is super tidy and looks how I remember (though it’s been a few years), and the car mode is neat too, a few panel lines and the odd gap maybe but undeniably a Veyron. Hip articulation is kinda limited but not the end of the world. And it seems there’s a copter mode too but I can’t imagine how it’s going to work.

It blows my mind that anyone is able to design such accurate and good looking ‘toy’ versions given all the cheating the films have to be doing. I remember that Lockdown from a few years back similarly being some kind of witchcraft in terms of accuracy in both modes.

Edit: Hah, okay yeah, the ‘helicopter’ mode is a hell of a stretch but eh, two out of three ain’t bad. And props for trying.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dates confirmed for TFNation next year! I still haven't made my mind up whether to go to the Manchester event in March, but knowing the big event in August is definitely on is reassuring in case I decide no.

Forbidden Planet had Skids in today, so I picked him up. Cute lil car! Nice lil dude! Transformation is nice and straightforward. I like 'em!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’m probably not doing the Manchester thing, it’s a bit of a schlep for just a day.

Hopefully TFN sort themselves out next year w/r/t tickets and schedule releasing. This year was an absolute joke. Until about 3 weeks before the con, there were no listed events/panels for Sunday, and if you’re making people buy tickets by the day (rather than just a whole weekend ticket), where’s the incentive?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

On holiday in Torquay and man there's a weird selection in The Entertainer here. Multiple Lift Tickets, a Netflix packaging Hotlink along with a Megs and Prime, old prime masters...

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

Similarly, while traveling with work today I stopped by a toy store in a small town and found pretty much nothing but Kingdom Voyager and Leader class sets I that’ve been sold out everywhere.

Way overpriced though, otherwise I would’ve probably picked up Cyclonus.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/3PTFmoments/status/1582090074795446272

Saw this, and someone linked this video in the replies that showed it off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EVwJDnu4sA

That's a lot of work to make something that garish.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Electrophotonic posted:

Similarly, while traveling with work today I stopped by a toy store in a small town and found pretty much nothing but Kingdom Voyager and Leader class sets I that’ve been sold out everywhere.

I was momentarily confused by that line marked "The Latest Series" until I spotted that it was a knockoff range. Looks weirdly high-quality.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
I PREDICT

They’re JinJiang, I see them a lot around here (Sweden) but I have no idea what they’re like. The plastic seems kinda cheap and gross.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

On holiday in Torquay and man there's a weird selection in The Entertainer here. Multiple Lift Tickets, a Netflix packaging Hotlink along with a Megs and Prime, old prime masters...

The one in Birmingham has a weird assortment too. A few old Liege Maximos, a few Titan Changers, some recent Core-class, some Kingdom stuff, I think there's Lift Tickets there too. I know Nick from Toy-Fu picked up a ridiculously cheap Black Zarak there a few weeks ago.

Is Siege Springer's backpack supposed to tab in securely? The instructions say you can peg the weapons in there but almost anything is enough to make it flop back down.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

The one in Birmingham has a weird assortment too. A few old Liege Maximos, a few Titan Changers, some recent Core-class, some Kingdom stuff, I think there's Lift Tickets there too. I know Nick from Toy-Fu picked up a ridiculously cheap Black Zarak there a few weeks ago.

Is Siege Springer's backpack supposed to tab in securely? The instructions say you can peg the weapons in there but almost anything is enough to make it flop back down.

Mine pegs in pretty securely but overall I think that toy is ambition overreaching manufacturing tolerances.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/3PTFmoments/status/1582090074795446272

Saw this, and someone linked this video in the replies that showed it off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EVwJDnu4sA

That's a lot of work to make something that garish.

Holy poo poo, it has Voltron lions for legs, plus voltrons sword and shield, a random f15 for a chest piece, vehicle Voltron/dairugger arms and omega supremes head

I need this monstrosity

Edit: the main legs are giving me ultra Magnus vibes too

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I do not want a B-O Robot.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Fil5000 posted:

Mine pegs in pretty securely but overall I think that toy is ambition overreaching manufacturing tolerances.

Could be. I remember getting it back into robot mode was weirdly difficult and confusing, especially around the chest. That's one place where the instructions going "now just do it backwards" really don't help.

To clarify, the part I'm having trouble with is here.

That little bit on the black hinge looks like it's supposed to be a tab, and it has a corresponding spot on his vehicle mode cockpit, but there's just no grip there. It's not that anything's missing, because the notch in the cockpit is the exact size and shape of that "peg", but it just seems to rest in it rather than actually holding in place. The grey plate holds in place much better in its vehicle mode configuration, but that leaves Springer with an rear end plate the size of a pizza box.

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
I PREDICT

Coming at Transformers from a gunpla perspective rather than having much actual nostalgia (having grown up during the awkward Action Masters phase of the franchise) I’m a sucker for Toyhax weird conversion sets. This is their Diaclone homage conversion for Netflix Ironhide with some extra panel lining.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

Could be. I remember getting it back into robot mode was weirdly difficult and confusing, especially around the chest. That's one place where the instructions going "now just do it backwards" really don't help.

To clarify, the part I'm having trouble with is here.

That little bit on the black hinge looks like it's supposed to be a tab, and it has a corresponding spot on his vehicle mode cockpit, but there's just no grip there. It's not that anything's missing, because the notch in the cockpit is the exact size and shape of that "peg", but it just seems to rest in it rather than actually holding in place. The grey plate holds in place much better in its vehicle mode configuration, but that leaves Springer with an rear end plate the size of a pizza box.

That's definitely supposed to fold up how you think it should and it does on mine - is yours the Wreckers one? If so I wonder if there's been some change somewhere that makes it fit worse or something.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, this is the Wreckers one. Is the notch on yours the same shape? Maybe it used to be longer or maybe the tab used to be deeper. I don't know why they'd make a change like that, though, if it just makes the toy not hold together.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I'm away from home but I'll check it when I get back - unless anyone else has the non regular version and can check in the meantime?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I have both and the little post is the same on both, however on the Siege one I feel it pop into the groove a little bit, the Wreckers one has no resistance. Also, the U-shaped piece that connects the backpack is much tighter on the Siege one making everything more stable as well. Overall the Wreckers one is more floppy/loose.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
sounds like Mold Degradation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DrChu posted:

I have both and the little post is the same on both, however on the Siege one I feel it pop into the groove a little bit, the Wreckers one has no resistance. Also, the U-shaped piece that connects the backpack is much tighter on the Siege one making everything more stable as well. Overall the Wreckers one is more floppy/loose.

Out of curiosity, how do the ankles compare between the two? They're fine on mine, but the wiki says people have had trouble standing the Siege one up.