Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 4, 2005

If Hunt handles the economy as well as he handled the NHS we'll be burning bank notes for warmth by the end of next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/wittyusrname6/status/1580923477175209985

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

ro5s posted:

He’s busy running the Labour Party now

If David Cameron was the "Heir To Blair", does that make Kier Starmer the "Carry-On Of Cameron"?

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

But they have enough batshit MPs who could revolt over this

Sure, but are there enough mentalists to trigger an early election in which most of them would lose their seats? The alternative is a zombie Truss admin which dooms the party for a generation. If there is one thing the Tory party is good at - other than killing the poor and lining the pockets of their backers - it is the ruthless pursuit and maintenance of power.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Praying someone records this https://twitter.com/kateferguson4/status/1580945017530875906

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
I promise you, liz truss is not a cat

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Chinese Gordon posted:

Sure, but are there enough mentalists to trigger an early election in which most of them would lose their seats? The alternative is a zombie Truss admin which dooms the party for a generation. If there is one thing the Tory party is good at - other than killing the poor and lining the pockets of their backers - it is the ruthless pursuit and maintenance of power.

Right, but then the question is - lose now and make Labour inherit a global recession on top of their economic self-dickpunch, or spend two years of the party visibly at war with itself while the country defaults on its debts and 2024 sees them annihilated to the point where they might never recover. Ruthless pursuit of power means knowing when to amputate and retreat.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Got curious and looked this up - Edward Law and Charles Abbott were both interim chancellors after the death of their predecessor, due to a convention that on the death of the Chancellor the position should go to the Lord Chief Justice. George Canning also seems to have died in office from a quick look at wikipedia, so Kwarteng and Zahawi are really in a league of their own

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

BBC radio reporting she u-turned on the corporation tax cut yet again and it's going ahead. lmao

I mean is it really a u-turn. More like a roundabout really.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Private Speech posted:

BBC radio reporting she u-turned on the corporation tax cut yet again and it's going ahead. lmao

more like a donut at this point

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Didn't get my stealth edit in quick enough I see :v:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
God's hosed off from heaven. All is insane in the UK

lmao

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tesseraction posted:

Right, but then the question is - lose now and make Labour inherit a global recession on top of their economic self-dickpunch, or spend two years of the party visibly at war with itself while the country defaults on its debts and 2024 sees them annihilated to the point where they might never recover. Ruthless pursuit of power means knowing when to amputate and retreat.

And, more importantly, no matter what happens the government will continue to represent the interests of capital. To the people who actually run this country that's all that matters. A pressure release cycle is a built-in feature of the system; capture people's hope for change, diffuse it into meaningless technocratic tinkering, juice up some public assets to be privatised and use people's willingness to extend the benefit of the doubt to extend police powers and surveillance. Meanwhile the Tories clear house and resume operations after Labour take the blame for whatever inevitable global crisis comes next.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Private Speech posted:

I mean is it really a u-turn. More like a roundabout really.

And twirling twirling twirling towards freedom

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

The saying in America is "Budd Dwyer gave a less career-ending press conference."

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Rarity posted:

And twirling twirling twirling towards freedom

I made the same joke in the CSPAM thread except I got it wrong and now I had to edit it, thanks jerk :colbert: (just kidding obviously)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Rarity posted:

Therese Coffey will be in a room by herself at 2:15pm

Seems another of these meetings happened and Rarity's joke from earlier basically true: https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1580949356324102144

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Angepain posted:

Got curious and looked this up - Edward Law and Charles Abbott were both interim chancellors after the death of their predecessor, due to a convention that on the death of the Chancellor the position should go to the Lord Chief Justice. George Canning also seems to have died in office from a quick look at wikipedia, so Kwarteng and Zahawi are really in a league of their own

Zahawi was clearly an interim chancellor as well, albeit for different reasons than a death, so it really just is Kwarteng.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

His career is clearly not on an upward trajectory so why not take one of the big jobs.

The question is when the rest of these cunts decide to jump ship to save face - or are they aware that this is the only cabinet job they might get. Go on Braverman / Mogg / Coffey, do it

The three you mentioned are definitely all too craven to resign.

Tesseraction posted:

Then the question is what the party do now because the recriminations will be high.

One of the tactical things I expect them to do, even if not immediately, is alter the leadership selection process to formally remove the members from it, or weight their votes in such a way that all the real power effectively resides with MPs.

The parliamentary party fears the outcomes the membership vote produces (see: making Leadsom drop out because she would have beat May; the embarrassment of the Truss premiership). The donors won’t care if the members are sidelined. The members might be a bit pissed but it’s not like this demographic is likely to vote anything but conservative. And even from first principles it could be argued as more democratic to have the MPs choose the leader, as they represent via their constituencies way more people (and way more diversity) that the Tory membership.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

reminds me of the magical thinking jack chick tracts have where there's a constant supply of folks entirely unaware of christianity
It's plausible if, like him, you consider Orthodox, Catholics, Lutherans, Episcopalians, and anyone not constantly screaming about how the Pope is a gay atheist to not actually be Christian. That leaves Jack Chick and a couple of TUV candidates.

Deketh posted:

I just watched some of that press conference and she truly has the charisma of soggy bread. Soggy bread that is definitely going to deliver economic stability and growth
Soggy bread is actually good for growth though.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Guavanaut posted:

Soggy bread is actually good for growth though.

Those green shoots of recovery are just mould, sorry.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Halisnacks posted:

One of the tactical things I expect them to do, even if not immediately, is alter the leadership selection process to formally remove the members from it, or weight their votes in such a way that all the real power effectively resides with MPs.

The parliamentary party fears the outcomes the membership vote produces (see: making Leadsom drop out because she would have beat May; the embarrassment of the Truss premiership). The donors won’t care if the members are sidelined. The members might be a bit pissed but it’s not like this demographic is likely to vote anything but conservative. And even from first principles it could be argued as more democratic to have the MPs choose the leader, as they represent via their constituencies way more people (and way more diversity) that the Tory membership.

The Tory base should never be allowed to vote on anything ever. Either they're so rich that nothing will ever affect them or they're thick racists who should get in the sea.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

biglads posted:

Sometimes that's what you want to grow. Or other types of fungi. Not even The Divine Assembly can make any sense of Trussonomics though.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

biglads posted:

where do you think we're going to get the new batch of Tory MPs from

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think they've a new process for growing those.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tesseraction posted:

The Tory base should never be allowed to vote on anything ever. Either they're so rich that nothing will ever affect them or they're thick racists who should get in the sea.

Tory supporters think the same thing about the Labour membership's right to "choose" a leader so careful what you wish for I guess.

The real problem is a combination of the PM having more power than was really intended when all the non-existent rules were devised and the ability of the party of government to play musical chairs with that role without involving the electorate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tarnop posted:

Tory supporters think the same thing about the Labour membership's right to "choose" a leader so careful what you wish for I guess.

Perhaps, but I am correct. :smugdog:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Perhaps, but I am correct. :smugdog:

I find myself thinking this on an almost daily basis. Many things are correct when I think them because the same thing can be either correct or incorrect depending on the circumstances.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/archimbaldo/status/1580928601880289282?s=46&t=AinHJpivcuUZ4TkD6Wr_Dw

Not an unfair point. One thing to remember about direct action is that it's not actually intended to persuade people so much as it is intended to get people talking about the topic you're campaigning on. Even 'well, climate change is obviously important, but I can't condone these tactics' is a victory for that form of activism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also I think that sort of feeling is a very good way to produce people who are willing to do what may be extremely unproductive things just to feel like they are doing something, with or without prodding.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Starmer's calling for an election, and if he's taking a stand on something then the jig is well and truly up.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/14/keir-starmer-uk-election-now-liz-truss-stays-goes-labour?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Robbie Coltrane has died.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Robbie Coltrane has died

Hagrid noooooooo

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Starmer's calling for an election, and if he's taking a stand on something then the jig is well and truly up.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/14/keir-starmer-uk-election-now-liz-truss-stays-goes-labour?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Elections are wrong when the lols are ongoing

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Oh gently caress. The day just got a lot grimmer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not Valentin Zukovsky. :(

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

I dunno, letting them vote freely without Brexit to distract them seems to have been more effective at destroying their government than anything anyone else managed this decade.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBEtQQZ7Z9I

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

For some reason I thought he already was, not sure why

I did finish rewatching all of cracker only last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1580966820739436548?s=20&t=4_BB6AOzZGsM001POwywnw

I think Ash is generally sound on stuff and I think she has a point about this.

Also, it may well be that these people have been spurred on by spycops but I think at a certain point these groups can get enough support to actually make an impact even if there are spycops trying to undermine them.