Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

deong posted:

Would you mind sending pics of the wear on that leather skin. I've been thinking about getting it (for my steam deck) but I really only see marketing pics.

Difficult to get good photos with the old point and shoot! The skin has been on the phone for about 4 months at this point. The entire skin was closer to the color of the camera module piece when it was new - it's the middle "brown" color. The edges are getting a little burnished, and the color is darkening from handling. Still stuck very well all around the edges, and even in the G logo which still surprises me. It did take a good amount of heating and forming to get it to wrap and stick around the curves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

THF13 posted:

Google Fi offer I think is just $100 off base price for either 7 Pro or regular 7.

For existing subscribers, yes. They've been doing this for a year or two now, with just a few exceptions (the 6a is at $350 either way). I don't know who else I could switch to with good reception, cheap minimal data plans and reasonable Canadian roaming costs.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Rip Testes posted:

Asked upthread no doubt, but what is the general timeline of getting the credit back for a trade-in? $325 to unload my 4a 5g for the 7 was too enticing to pass up.

It's hard to say. Google contracts it out to a third party. Mine had a pretty quick turnaround for the 6a but I live relatively near one of the processing facilities they were taken to. I saw Reddit posts of people having to contact Google because they were about to be at the 30 day limit and still not seeing the credit hit their account.

So it kinda depends on how good your local post office is, how far you are from one of the processing warehouses and the general productivity of the third party vendor handling Google returns/trades. YMMV big time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

Difficult to get good photos with the old point and shoot! The skin has been on the phone for about 4 months at this point. The entire skin was closer to the color of the camera module piece when it was new - it's the middle "brown" color. The edges are getting a little burnished, and the color is darkening from handling. Still stuck very well all around the edges, and even in the G logo which still surprises me. It did take a good amount of heating and forming to get it to wrap and stick around the curves.

I like that case a lot

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

sirbeefalot posted:

Thanks! Looks good. I need to get a heat gun probably.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

MKBHD’s podcast Waveform came out today and it’s three Pixel Dudes talkin’ about the Pixel 7’s and watches (and other stuff). Pixel talk starts at 19:00ish.

https://youtu.be/nhlCndotHAU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Give MKBHD an SA account and Pixel Warriors gangtag

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just to update, it feels like the fingerprint sensor is settling down for me. Maybe I just needed to get used to it.

Got the Pixel Watch today. I don't hate it, but it's still too small. It's not as silly looking on my wrist as the OG Watch Active was and I'll think it'll look better when the leather band comes out because it will add lugs.

In typical Google fashion, neither the Pixel stand nor wireless power share will charge it. The Galaxy Watch 5 charger looks like it will charge it, but it doesn't actually add charge.

At full MSRP I think it's still a hard sell and most would be better off with a Watch 5. Fitbit also needs to allow multiple devices on an account before this becomes really useful for me.

I would say it's a good first attempt, but I also think they had enough examples to crib off of that it should have been just a little better.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

TL,DW is that they all really like it, MKB himself is cautious since the 6 Pro was great for him in week one too.

The other two dudes mention how much they like the 7 base model, how the battery has been great and how they aren't seeing connectivity problems or battery drain from 5g use.

Excited for mine to get here Monday. :stoked:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Pixel 7/7 Pro is making me really excited for the 8 honestly. I don't mean that in a negative way either, just that they're on the right track and as they keep during further refinement, things are going to get better and better.

I have a feeling Google may jump straight to Samsung's 3nm process for Tensor 3. Tensor 2 seems like them ironing a lot out about initial design and seeing what worked and what didn't (the change in GPU signaled a change in approach for some of the processing) and I would expect the 3rd gen to shrink process nodes and really be a larger jump than G2.

There is a lot of "but the benchmarks" stuff going on out there right now. First, I've seen from at least one other review that the shipping review firmware did have some performance issues that were ironed out by an update prior to launch so it's hard to know when some of these benchmarks were pulled. Second, they seem weirdly focused on Pixel and Tensor in this criticism when there are other examples that are just as bad. Saw a graph floating around that had Genshin Impact average 37fps for the Pixel 7 Pro which puts it around Exynos 2100 territory and it was blasting Google for putting out a chipset with 2020 levels of performance. But then right there on the same graph stuff like the OnePlus 10t was at the same framerate and then the Z Flip 4 was actually quite a bit below. The S22U, depending on settings, was also quite a bit below. When challenged about that, it was deflected into performance per watt. Yes, that is something to be concerned about, but focusing on the efficiency of a single high resource game and using it as a basis to say the whole chip is trash is a bit missing the point of a smartphone in general.

No, Tensor 2 isn't the same performance per watt as a SD 8+ Gen 1 and the SD 8+ Gen 1 isn't the same as the A15 or A16 and it would improve the experience if efficiency was better as it always will. That's not to say it isn't good enough for most people and the other things that are enabled by this whole package aren't as (or even more) important.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Benchmarks just seem like such a useless metric anymore when phones are all real loving fast in actual day to day use cases. It's just a Big Number to point at in flame wars, right.

Also at this point it seems like if you want to play big 3d mobile games, there's a whole market of phones built to do that very well, and they aren't even bad phones for regular uses even if their cameras are two generations behind and whatnot.

It'd be like loading Warzone up on a productivity laptop and knocking it. No, dude, there's a whole rear end sub-market for that just over there.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CLAM DOWN posted:

Give MKBHD an SA account and Pixel Warriors gangtag

I mean, non-zero chance he's already here.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Some Pixel 7 Pro users are reporting scrolling issues with their new phones

Noticed this on AP today and it triggered me. Had been browsing the forums on the Awful app and using twitter a lot today and noticed when trying to scroll through threads; I felt like my thumb was getting a workout to get to the bottom of the page. I thought maybe I was crazy until I saw this (I could still be crazy), but I grabbed my S22 to compare and it definitely requires less swiping to get through a large page.

Edit: It's got to be software as scrolling is much easier with the display set to 60hz (but that looks gross).

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 15, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Once again I claim my right to be named creator of the Pixel Warriors.

I'm really trying to ignore the absolute shiteness of my Pixel 6 battery on mobile data. All this talk about improved modems in the 7 has me in tears. But I won't poo poo up the thread anymore about it

Going back a few pages we were talking about what we'd do if Pixels got canned by Google. Got me looking back on all my posts in this thread years ago and tons of them are fretting over Android version upgrades, security updates, beta builds of a ROM for my Xperia Z3 Compact and later my Galaxy S7 with the great 7.0 update that brought the UI out of the dark ages, dicking around with Odin and all that bollocks just to try to keep ahead of the curve with different ROMs from different carriers in different countries because for some reason updates sometimes never came.

Basically I've been spoiled rotten with the Pixels. I can't go back to those old days. I don't think twice about software updates anymore because I don't have to. The cameras are stellar (see what I did there?). The performance is silky smooth and benchmarks are useless metrics for daily use. And some of the features, like the onboard voice typing, or Now Playing, are just incredible.

Please don't leave us, Pixel. I'll be your friend to the end.

Mental Hospitality posted:

Some Pixel 7 Pro users are reporting scrolling issues with their new phones

Noticed this on AP today and it triggered me. Had been browsing the forums on the Awful app and using twitter a lot today and noticed when trying to scroll through threads; I felt like my thumb was getting a workout to get to the bottom of the page. I thought maybe I was crazy until I saw this (I could still be crazy), but I grabbed my S22 to compare and it definitely requires less swiping to get through a large page.

Funnily enough, I had this really annoying bug in my Pixel 2 where scrolling would feel like my finger was stuck to the screen and the animations were jittery. Really weird one.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 15, 2022

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
Maybe I am an idiot. I got the email where I've received a $200 Google Store credit - but I cannot see that credit within the store itself. I was exploring buying some buds or trading in my p6p for essentially a free p7, but I seem to be missing where/how to apply the credit.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Rip Testes posted:

Maybe I am an idiot. I got the email where I've received a $200 Google Store credit - but I cannot see that credit within the store itself. I was exploring buying some buds or trading in my p6p for essentially a free p7, but I seem to be missing where/how to apply the credit.

I noticed when I put a pixel watch in my checkout basket and went to payment (I didn't end up ordering one), it applied the credit at the very end.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rip Testes posted:

Top right corner of the Google store, click your profile picture and the balance *should* be in the little blurb that drops down.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Any of you actually have a Pixel Watch yet? I'm curious your thoughts

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

Any of you actually have a Pixel Watch yet? I'm curious your thoughts

You should check out the WearOS thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074&pagenumber=102#post526976682

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh thank you! Forgot that existed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Haven't really had a chance to play with the new zoom much yet, but holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/chriswelch/status/1581023390529265664?s=20&t=fbl1pyr5kYCKf_2yaku7Tw

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

shrike82 posted:

does (re)vanced do stuff that youtube premium doesn't? premium has been something i'm happy to pay for given it does music better than spotify

https://github.com/revanced/revanced-patches

Check the list of patches to see if there's anything you like, they're also experimenting with patching a bunch of other apps for extra features too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Haven't really had a chance to play with the new zoom much yet, but holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/chriswelch/status/1581023390529265664?s=20&t=fbl1pyr5kYCKf_2yaku7Tw

I'm gonna get so many awesome bird and cat photos lmao

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

In typical Google fashion, neither the Pixel stand nor wireless power share will charge it. The Galaxy Watch 5 charger looks like it will charge it, but it doesn't actually add charge.

there's quite a few blog posts that mention it does:

https://www.xda-developers.com/pixel-watch-wireless-charging-clarification/

weird

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Didn't work for me. It starts, but the phone ends up turning off wireless power share after about 30 seconds.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is the there a problem with sourcing smaller 120hz panels or is it a price based decision that makes Google go with a 90hz display for the smaller Pixel? The higher refresh is pretty much the only reason I'm still on the Pro line.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I seem to have some issue with my Pixel 7 in combination with the free Pixel Buds Pro. When I have the buds in and get a notification, the sound goes into an endless loop that never stops and I have to restart the entire phone to stop the sound from playing.
My workaround is to just use no sound for notifications, but it's still a stupid problem. Anyone experience something similar?

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Pixel watch has burned through over 20% charge in 2 hours, during which time I've had no notifications.

Unless this sorts itself out in the next couple of days it's going back.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, this optical fingerprint sensor is starting to get on my nerves. It usually works alright (if slow compared to the one on my old Pixel 5) to unlock the phone, but it's horrible for unlocking apps that use it (e.g. Bitwarden). It almost always fails three times. It doesn't seem to matter which registered finger I use.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
How do I stop my pixel 4a from automatically connecting to a speaker? I'm on a wifi network at a house and they have a speaker, despite not having bluetooth or anything on my phone now has connected to the speaker.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

hooah posted:

Ok, this optical fingerprint sensor is starting to get on my nerves. It usually works alright (if slow compared to the one on my old Pixel 5) to unlock the phone, but it's horrible for unlocking apps that use it (e.g. Bitwarden). It almost always fails three times. It doesn't seem to matter which registered finger I use.

On my 6 I get a bit more success if I put my thumb slightly lower than the display indicates. Try a few millimetres lower and see if it helps.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
lol on my 6 it's the exact opposite, bitwarden and bank app login first try almost every time, unlocking phone usually doesn't

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Is there an API that lets apps choose how strict they are when doing biometrics? I can't imagine why else it would behave differently between apps

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

repiv posted:

Is there an API that lets apps choose how strict they are when doing biometrics? I can't imagine why else it would behave differently between apps

There are three classes of biometrics and what they are allowed access to is defined.

https://source.android.com/docs/security/features/biometric

How a biometric is classified is also defined.

https://source.android.com/docs/security/features/biometric/measure

Something that’s defined as a convenience unlock, which the optical face unlock is, can ONLY be used for screen unlock. It can’t be accessed for anything else.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've ordered a 7 FFS, I'll trade in this 6 and sell the Pixel Buds Pro to cover the cost of the rest of my contract.

Is mobile data battery much better on the 7 than the 6? Basically the main reason I'm switching.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a Galaxy S7 that I just reset so I can try to sell it. However, now that I've reset it, I can't get into the settings to tell how much storage it's got. Is there some Samsung-provided site or something that I can provide maybe an IMEI and it'll tell me if it's the 32GB or 64GB version?

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
There’s probably better options out there but I think this page will do it if you provide the IMEI. Just select Other for the carrier.

https://www.verizon.com/sales/digital/byod/selectMakeAndModel.html?type=smartphone

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, you could also just speed through the setup, skipping every step and not signing into accounts, so you can get to the settings. Then you just reset it again.

I usually do that anyways with my stuff just to verify device protection is off.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Thanks, but it turns out Samsung's support was pretty responsive, and they were easily able to get the info from the IMEI. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware the Swappa doesn't allow (any longer?) chipped or cracked screens, so I'll just use my Pixel 7 box to send it in to Google's recycling vendor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

hooah posted:

Have you tried adding your main finger twice or even three times? It was borderline unusable until I did that. It was pissing me off so bad too coming from the v30 with a real scanner that worked 99% of the time.