Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Was the ladybug okay? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Yaldabaoth posted:

Can we just beat the poo poo out of people who flaunt their fetishes in public? That's the only way this poo poo is going to stop.

Yaldabaoth posted:

The ironic thing is "Punching a dude" is the only way to deal with people like comic fans and publishers who want to impose their own sick sense of morality on the rest of the world, because their brains are so rotted by absolutism that they can't be reasoned with anymore.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Frank Frank posted:

Lol not just blackouts but “hellish blackouts”

One of those blackouts like in the movie The Trigger Effect, where people can only hold their civility for about 2 hours, and then immediately go full fascist when they think they may lose access to Cheetos and HBO.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
More like 'Pitch Black'

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Looks like my problem is I'm quick to use violence because I've given up on trying to reason with other humans due to living in hellworld.

Content:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Yaldabaoth posted:

Looks like my problem is I'm quick to use violence because I've given up on trying to reason with other humans due to living in hellworld.

Content:

Sadly she was not hosed to death by the devil or anything

https://www.thedeadhistory.com/blog/lilly-gray-victim-of-the-beast-666-2

"But why did he put Victim of The Beast 666 on her headstone? The most popular explanation is that he really hated the Utah government and law officials and somehow blamed them for her death. Seems like a really weird way to express such dislike for the government, right? ...

The truth behind Lilly's headstone doesn't involve murder, cults, or devil worship. Just an elderly man who had trouble staying on the right side of the law, and probably suffered from some mental effects of Parkinson's Disease."

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Poops Mcgoots posted:

People without vaginas can also benefit from Kegel exercises.

Yup, gripping a hand grenade with one's anus is an example!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Sadly she was not hosed to death by the devil or anything

https://www.thedeadhistory.com/blog/lilly-gray-victim-of-the-beast-666-2

"But why did he put Victim of The Beast 666 on her headstone? The most popular explanation is that he really hated the Utah government and law officials and somehow blamed them for her death. Seems like a really weird way to express such dislike for the government, right? ...

The truth behind Lilly's headstone doesn't involve murder, cults, or devil worship. Just an elderly man who had trouble staying on the right side of the law, and probably suffered from some mental effects of Parkinson's Disease."

Sounds like it's still cursed, just in a more realistic and sad way :smith:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Yaldabaoth posted:

She needs to make a literal jerk-off crystal.

Content, toy ponies that actually look like they're terrified of being bought by a creepy fanboy:

They’re worried they’ll be kicked out of their plastic boxes and forced to move into glass jars.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Was the ladybug okay? :ohdear:

Looks quite happy, it's got food and water. I think it like some sunshine though but it's not gonna get cold down there!

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

They’re worried they’ll be kicked out of their plastic boxes and forced to move into glass jars.

Speaking of which:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
One Guy One Jar… One Dream

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

You know drat well this guy would be the first to pitch the mother of bitchfits at the utility company that “my electricity needs to be restored immediately because I need to watch the Man U match right loving now you slags!”

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

I mean, my hellish blackouts have certainly shaken my wife and kids out of their sense of entitlement.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Yaldabaoth posted:

A sexual orientation is not the same thing as a fetish.

Here's a video arguing that they might be more similar than you think! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3xdXj0acZo

I love Jillian Keenan's work, by the way. She wrote a really excellent book called "Sex with Shakespeare" (sadly, it was not about having sex with William Shakespeare, but about processing her kink through the use of Shakespeare's work).

She also has a good video about kink at pride.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

OhAreThey posted:

Here's a video arguing that they might be more similar than you think!

Thank you, that's an excellent video. It's never made sense that so many people are so eager to exclude the kinksters from the LGBT treehouse.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Adding F to the list of letters for foot fetishists when?

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Thank you, that's an excellent video. It's never made sense that so many people are so eager to exclude the kinksters from the LGBT treehouse.

Sure thing--it's worth checking out her other videos. They're all really good.

I think kink is commonly excluded from LGBTQ+ because it's too easy to make fun of kinksters/fetishists. I can imagine queer people, who have worked hard to be taken seriously on not seen as perverts being like "if we include these freaks, we'll ALL look like freaks and perverts!"

Also, what happens if you're cishet and kinky (like me)...do you really deserve to be under the LGBTQ+ banner? (I ask myself this question all the time).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/wdv1tqH.mp4

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I know it's disturbing for many people but all I can think about is unleashing my army of spiders on all the insects troubling my house recently.
GO MY MINIONS!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

By popular demand posted:

I know it's disturbing for many people but all I can think about is unleashing my army of spiders on all the insects troubling my house recently.
GO MY MINIONS!

They look like Daddy Longlegs so I kinda wanna stick my hand in there but my brain is screaming at me.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Flies from a dead animal?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Oscar Wild posted:

Flies from a dead animal?

They're daddy longlegs as far as I can tell.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

OhAreThey posted:

Also, what happens if you're cishet and kinky (like me)...do you really deserve to be under the LGBTQ+ banner? (I ask myself this question all the time).

My personal opinion is No because then you get cishet people trying to claim they're just as persecuted as queer people.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Yaldabaoth posted:

My personal opinion is No because then you get cishet people trying to claim they're just as persecuted as queer people.

It's exactly this.

Foot fetishes are a thing, it's okay Q-dawg but that is not the same. Like, at all.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
My fetish based on Victoria's Secret for women with large breasts in underwear is just that.

OMG my PIV secret is out. I like it a lot. Or if I like to wear a fur suit, that's "okay" and fine. It's not the same as being gay.

And I regret anyone ever being called a fur-f** on this social media platform that was not cool. If that works for you by all means, ya don't need my permission. Still isn't equivalent.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Also a gay guy wearing makeup and a pride shirt or whatever is cool and good, a dude wearing a leash and a soiled diaper at applebees is not ok

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

The spooky vagina

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
This is sure to be a productive discussion.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cool Dad posted:

Also a gay guy wearing makeup and a pride shirt or whatever is cool and good, a dude wearing a leash and a soiled diaper at applebees is not ok

Exactly.

And a trans woman asking for the right to use a restroom where she feels safe is not an attack on the other women and girls using the bathroom. The furry guy in the park asking children to rub his sexual fetish gear is weird at the least and probably not representing their community in a positive way.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

"does X count as queer" isn't really a question that needs answering IMO. queerness can serve to challenge the ways we think about gender, sex, orientation, power structures, relationships, etc. if you're cishet and you're willing to engage in those conversations in good faith then i don't see why you wouldn't be welcomed in queer communities. but also in my experience if you're thinking about all that poo poo you're most likely already queer

the topic of oppression is a different one and pretty complicated. but a lot of queer folks hem and haw for years because they "don't feel queer enough" and usually what that means is that they (rightly) don't want to center themselves conversations about about queer oppression. the answer is simply not to do that

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was making the comment that I really don't want horny police to be anything other than jokes.

If your reaction to disgust is violence, you need to unpack whatever that is before you unload that trauma on some unsuspecting person.

I didn't want to start a debate about sexuality and paraphilia -- but now I'm super into how everyone's just showing their whole rear end.

holttho
May 21, 2007

There certainly is a discussion to be had that isn't closed, but in general, it is only one that is very academic. However, the fairly robust operating consensus is that no, fetish is not the same as orientation by a good margin. Specifically when it comes to viewing this in terms of institutions and policy (underlined for emphasis of this argument). No one is being legally discriminated against by the State for enjoying being spanked a very specific way*. However, there are political organizations that are actively reducing funding or outright banning outreach and assistance programs for Queer people. Rights are being removed or obstructed from people because of who they are.

What happens when fetish gets included is that it effectively makes the LGBTQ cause into a kitchen sink -a big tent- and then proceeds to continuously make that sink/tent bigger. And this leads to problems of dilution of the message; as in, it becomes easier and easier for bad-faith actors to throw in "I identify as attack helicopter" grenades to derail and distract genuine progress. People who are made to feel bad about something they enjoy sexually, even if not by an individual, but society at large, is certainly unfortunate and lovely and shouldn't happen, but is not discrimination. And lumping it in with whatever someone thinks is going to get them the fastest relief is as short-sighted as it is damaging to the actual causes. A good thing to remember: Just because sex is involved with both of these issues, it is NOT what all of this is about. They may seem an easy dot to connect, but do your best to not.

Another issue that crops up in the inclusion of fetish is that the progression of the argument skirts dangerously close to "don't ask, don't tell" again. Which is just erasure, which is just discrimination of another flavor.

*And they definitely used to, but now (mostly) aren't allowed. Things like that would be judged under "Acts of Moral Turpitude", and would include things like sodomy (the actual act, but also it being used as a catch-all for homosexuality), miscegeny, public drinking, or any other host of ill-defined morality jurisprudence which would absolutely include kink. I hold a number of professional licenses in a variety of states, and some still have these laws on the books for professional conduct, but the definition of 'Moral Turpitude' is so slashed down to nothing even in extremely conservative states that you would be hard pressed to find something that counted for that, but wasn't just straight up an elsewhere actually defined crime of negligence or ethics anyways.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Oops, I must have stumbled into the large paragraphs of text thread

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Here, watch this cursed content about troubling things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_xvXJJk7k

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Koburn posted:

Oops, I must have stumbled into the large paragraphs of text thread

lol lengthy discussion about who's righter and wronger right out of the organizational sabotage playbook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou_xvXJJk7k

E: JINX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

Yaldabaoth posted:

Yes, and I keep coming to this conclusion myself. My sexuality may differ from other cishet people, but I am not persecuted.