Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Imagine being the people who lost in the leadership elections right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

learnincurve posted:

Imagine being the people who lost in the leadership elections right now

Honestly, feels like losing a "world's biggest idiot" challenge.

Something I've yet to achieve.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I think her winning is more an indictment of the tory party electorate than anything.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

How many days did Liz campaign for the leadership election?

And how many days has she currently been in power for?

e: vvvvv You forgot to append 'SO FAR' to your statement

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 15, 2022

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Speaking as an American with little expertise in the finer points of UK politics, I find it fascinating that anything in western politics could go this badly this quickly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Someone posted on the Lettuce cam that Liz resigned. They lied.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Speaking as an American

Have to stop you there

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

fuctifino posted:

How many days did Liz campaign for the leadership election?

at least three lettuces

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

:britain:
:yossame:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ah, you found Liz Truss's blog

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I did some stoned early hours napkin maths, and it looks like Truss campaigned for 56 days. She's been in power for 39 days. If she goes within the next 17 days, which seems very likely, she'll have campaigned for more days to be PM than she actually served as PM.

:allears:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The ever spiralling bin fire that is this country never ceases to amaze.

I'm going to laaaaaaaugh if they call a general. Then Starmer barely gets a hung parliament.

Then I'm going to send lots of money to a cat shelter and drink lots.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Surely there must be some kind of temptation to blow it all up on your way out the door. She must know things.

e: I thought about it and she probably doesn't know things actually, she could be outwitted by a spider plant

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Interview her using a chatbot and the tiktok robot voice and see who wins.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I really do think she'll try and force a general election if the party try to force her out. She hasn't even been able to use Chequers yet due to Boris squatting there and turning it into a personal play palace. She has many reasons to gently caress it up for the rest of the party.

She expected to be our PM until at least the next hardwired GE, and saw a future beyond that just like Thatcher. She truly has no awareness of her own lack of competence. She has little awareness full stop, and that was on full show today during the press conference. All of this backstabbing has hurt her, and she struggles to mask her emotions at the best of times.

I can see her pulling the mother of all tantrums behind the scenes, and force a GE.

Mebh posted:

I'm going to laaaaaaaugh if they call a general. Then Starmer barely gets a hung parliament.

Or the people are gaslit to vote for more pain and choose the newly formed 'Make Boris President For Life' party, because that Bozza, he knew how to stick it to Europe, amiright?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lmao can you imagine an election debate between Truss and Starmer :pray:

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

fuctifino posted:

I can see her pulling the mother of all tantrums behind the scenes, and force a GE.

I actually think she will have deep, deep loyalty to the Conservative party and not try to gently caress it up on the way out even if she is deeply hurt. She owes the party so much: this completely unremarkable woman was, through this organisation, able to hold some of the most important positions in government/society, including the loving premiership.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/oct/14/knives-of-long-night-brutally-swift-kwasi-kwarteng-sacking

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
so here's my pitch on the bank of england: put me in charge

I'll do a way better job than any of these idiots, and also discovered what a 'gilt' was last week, demonstrating an ability for rapid learning and knowledge retention that the entire Tory party lacks

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

so here's my pitch on the bank of england: put me in charge

I'll do a way better job than any of these idiots, and also discovered what a 'gilt' was last week, demonstrating an ability for rapid learning and knowledge retention that the entire Tory party lacks

the bank of england (politically independent) is the competent part of our institutions

the *treasury* (government) is what hosed this

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I think her winning is more an indictment of the tory party electorate than anything.

She was one of two candidates that Tory MPs gave to their electorate to vote on, the Mail and the Telegraph threw their weight behind her, and Sunak completely disintegrated as soon as he came under any significant degree of pressure. Plenty of blame to go around, and I'm instinctually suspicious of the push to remove anything even vaguely resembling public accountability from internal party personnel decisions - do we really, honestly think that an even tinier and more isolated group of rich, bigoted weirdos would have made better decisions about who should run the country?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

She was one of two candidates that Tory MPs gave to their electorate to vote on, the Mail and the Telegraph threw their weight behind her, and Sunak completely disintegrated as soon as he came under any significant degree of pressure. Plenty of blame to go around, and I'm instinctually suspicious of the push to remove anything even vaguely resembling public accountability from internal party personnel decisions - do we really, honestly think that an even tinier and more isolated group of rich, bigoted weirdos would have made better decisions about who should run the country?

I mean, the tory party can be morons ruled by morons, and it's not like their views throughout the rest of the process were less stupid.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

In the press conference she was obviously rattled and looked really nervous. I think she’s way out of her depth. Maybe she didn’t realise there’s a difference between making campaign speeches to deranged Tory party members who’ll cheer anything regardless of how much sense it makes as long as it appeals to their prejudices, vs trying to reassure voters, MPs, and the international finance system she has a sensible plan. Maybe she thought she could just say things like “my plan will grow the economy” and get away with it like she has been during her campaign?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
She didn't even have one friendly journo to start a softball question with. I can't remember the last time or media was that hostile to the tories.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Lady Gaza posted:

Maybe she thought she could just say things like “my plan will grow the economy” and get away with it like she has been during her campaign?

I honestly think that she was expecting to cosplay her way through being PM, yes. Wear the right outfits, say the right buzzwords while projecting firmness and confidence and everything else just... falls into place.

It's a child's view of how power works of course, but it fits what we've seen of her behaviour: not even considering market reactions or how she was expecting to govern a party where most MPs didn't support her indicates that there's quite the level of magical thinking going on in her brain.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
She saw how Boris got away with just saying the same thing and assumed that was how you could do things now.

Even other ministers are getting burned in interviews for trying to avoid questions and just use their sound bites. Instead of the public hearing their 5 second taking points were getting the 'you're not answering questions' clips instead on the news.

Weird how it can flip so easily

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Presenters on BBC breakfast both sweating that they’re going to be the first to call the new chancellor Jeremy oval office. Can they make it through the whole interview?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

Presenters on BBC breakfast both sweating that they’re going to be the first to call the new chancellor Jeremy oval office. Can they make it through the whole interview?

i like the tall blonde one who isn’t as charismatic as he thinks he is

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

smellmycheese posted:

Still remember this years later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjH4arIn-80

My mum was taking me to college before she went to work and we both just looked at each other and burst out laughing. You can tell he's really trying to not laugh too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

TACD posted:

lmao can you imagine an election debate between Truss and Starmer :pray:

It's putting me to sleep just imagining it

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lmao

https://twitter.com/scottygb/status/1581190775127257088

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

She saw how Boris got away with just saying the same thing and assumed that was how you could do things now.

Even other ministers are getting burned in interviews for trying to avoid questions and just use their sound bites. Instead of the public hearing their 5 second taking points were getting the 'you're not answering questions' clips instead on the news.

I do wonder just how much Boris hosed up the perception of what it takes to be PM.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jeremy Hunt: ....and that's how I will be killing the sick and the poor over the next few months.
Radio 4: Thank you, good luck with those great ideas, and good luck with the new job. And now Miriam Margoyles.
Miriam Margoyles: gently caress that last guy, the bastard!
Radio 4: NOOOOOO GET OFFFFFFFFFFFF NOWWWWWWWWW

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

serious gaylord posted:

Maybe journalists actually know how to do their job when the person they're speaking to has no chance of using their power to gently caress things up for them down the line. Insult Boris and he can defund you or deny you access, call Truss an idiot and what, she won't like you for as long as she manages to hold on? Meanwhile the person coming next might remember how you helped topple their rival and be grateful (or slightly less actively hostile)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It feels like the Times and the Financial Times journalists are now saying a lot of stuff they’ve been wanting to let loose with since 2020

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Radio 4, still playing to an imaginary audience that are entirely heating their homes with rage as they furiously write a letter about the loss of decorum on the airwaves.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Who am I kidding. That seems to be at least 40 percent of the country.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh a lot of boomers set the dial to radio 4 in 1984 and never changed it.

Tory boomers who stopped listening to music in their 30s does explain a lot.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Surely Keith is panicking a bit now at the thought of the Tories putting someone even just sensible or not brain-dead in charge? I mean, all he has got is looking sensible - and the Tories will have looking sensible and wanting to kill the poor - the winning ticket in the England apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mebh posted:

Radio 4, still playing to an imaginary audience that are entirely heating their homes with rage
Does that work? I might be needing it in a couple of weeks.