Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The ext4 filesystem that the Deck uses preallocates metadata (inode tables), so with the default inode ratio you do lose quite a bit of space.

Usually I use an inode ratio of 1M and it works fine with much less lost space. Which reminds me I should manually format my 1 TB SD card when it comes to do that.

Thanks for the explanation. I wasn't upset about the "missing" GB so much as I was worried about the card being genuine or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Iirc there's a validation test built into the Deck's formatter, if it passed that you should be fine.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kin posted:

I'm still blown away by how great the emulation is on this.

For years, I've slowly been rebuying my old console games as they came out on Steam just to have them all in one place so I could comfortably retire the console.

I've got boxes of PS2, GC, wii etc games that are a ballache to get up and running again, but now I have em all in one neat interface.

When the Dock arrives I'll be able to play em all on the TV too (unless there's some fiddly poo poo with that I've not realised).

I'm all for the nostalgia of keeping a Dreamcast or gamecube lying around but, at my age, that's all it's gonna be. A nostalgic paperweight that takes up space in the house my wife complains about being wasted.

At least on the deck the games are gonna be played.

Tldr, Sony, Nintendo and whoever the gently caress else should just up and make every one of their old games purchasable for a decent price on PC already.

This feels so wrong, but you can even grab a cart reader and play old carts on your deck using a Joey Jr (cheaper, plug and play, more portable) or GB Operator (better software integration)

I've been tempted to build or buy an AIO cart reader:
https://github.com/sanni/cartreader/wiki/Overview
https://savethehero.builders/

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 14, 2022

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
All warm and snug in bed as I play Scorn with headphones on, the Steam Deck is good.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ExcessBLarg! posted:

The ext4 filesystem that the Deck uses preallocates metadata (inode tables), so with the default inode ratio you do lose quite a bit of space.

Usually I use an inode ratio of 1M and it works fine with much less lost space. Which reminds me I should manually format my 1 TB SD card when it comes to do that.

Note that you can run into a very Fun situation where everything will tell you your disk is full even when you can look at it and see "Free space: literally over half the drive"; if you're going to be shrinking the inode space, just make sure you're aware that you can still run out of space if you fill your filesystem with a ton of tiny files everywhere.

E: You probably won't run into this, but it's worth being aware of because it's a real headscratcher if you're not aware of the other limits.

This feels wrong.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Zamujasa posted:

This feels wrong.

Go full chaotic and pause it to play an R4 cart

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kin posted:

I'm still blown away by how great the emulation is on this.

For years, I've slowly been rebuying my old console games as they came out on Steam just to have them all in one place so I could comfortably retire the console.

I've got boxes of PS2, GC, wii etc games that are a ballache to get up and running again, but now I have em all in one neat interface.

When the Dock arrives I'll be able to play em all on the TV too (unless there's some fiddly poo poo with that I've not realised).

I'm all for the nostalgia of keeping a Dreamcast or gamecube lying around but, at my age, that's all it's gonna be. A nostalgic paperweight that takes up space in the house my wife complains about being wasted.

At least on the deck the games are gonna be played.

Tldr, Sony, Nintendo and whoever the gently caress else should just up and make every one of their old games purchasable for a decent price on PC already.

I envision the same thing as you, as much as I'd love to keep all of that old poo poo around it's not going to do me any good, plus I can make scratch off of it to feed the Deck (I see you Valve, I see you) and it's less poo poo for me to keep.

Sony's already going that route, I don't think Nintendo would change course for a long while unless they just stop making money which won't ever happen.

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

PowerBeard posted:

All warm and snug in bed as I play Scorn with headphones on, the Steam Deck is good.

How is Scorn?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I hear it's Myst if made by David Cronenberg and I'm all for it. How it runs on the Steam Deck I have no idea however.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Quixzlizx posted:

3. I noticed when loading the Discover store that there are system updates to things like the KDE Application Platform and Mesa drivers. Is there a reason why Steam isn't automatically bundling those in system updates, and should I be leaving them alone instead of updating?

Thanks.

Flatpak uses pretty much its own separate isolated operating system image for its applications, including GPU drivers. Flatpak apps use those drivers, Steam uses SteamOS drivers.

It's set up that way to avoid compatibility issues across different Linux distributions by bringing its own containerized "distribution".

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

For Wii U games on Emudeck, where do I put the title files?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wii U is a bit more complicated than other emulators. First, make sure you have the right files, there should be three sub-directories in the game directory (code, content, and meta) and a meta.xml file in the meta directory. If you have a bunch of .app and .tik files you need to decrypt them. If you're on Windows and are somewhat familiar with command line you can use CDecrypt.

Once the games are decrypted you can just drop the whole folder in the roms/wii u/roms directory and Cemu/Emulation Station/Steam Rom Manager should just recognize them the next time you use them.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Flatpak uses pretty much its own separate isolated operating system image for its applications, including GPU drivers. Flatpak apps use those drivers, Steam uses SteamOS drivers.

It's set up that way to avoid compatibility issues across different Linux distributions by bringing its own containerized "distribution".

Makes sense, although for some reason I thought each individual Flatpak app had its own container of libraries, in case two different apps in your OS require different versions of the same library.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Quixzlizx posted:

Makes sense, although for some reason I thought each individual Flatpak app had its own container of libraries, in case two different apps in your OS require different versions of the same library.

I'm pretty sure that's what it is, and not (typically) drivers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

3D Dot Game Heroes runs pretty much flawlessly under RPCS3, thank you Steam Deck

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

History Comes Inside! posted:

3D Dot Game Heroes runs pretty much flawlessly under RPCS3, thank you Steam Deck
Ooh, that's a strong reason for me to get PlayStation 3 emulation up and running, I've been wanting to try that game.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

sigher posted:

I envision the same thing as you, as much as I'd love to keep all of that old poo poo around it's not going to do me any good, plus I can make scratch off of it to feed the Deck (I see you Valve, I see you) and it's less poo poo for me to keep.

Sony's already going that route, I don't think Nintendo would change course for a long while unless they just stop making money which won't ever happen.

Strangely enough, I've been going through the top games on metacritic per platform (80+ scores) with the aim of emulating the good stuff and I've spotted a couple of things:

1) When you get to the PS3 era, most "good" stuff is a lot of loving sports games or multiplat stuff that's already been ported to steam and I've already got relatively quick access to on the ps4 or ps5.

2) I'm just not that inspired to replay many of the games from that era. I dunno if it's just too recent or that we're currently playing sequel X of the same series so it's all just the same stuff with lower textures or something.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

History Comes Inside! posted:

Hmm it kept crashing for me

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I loaded only the stuff for up to PS2. Maybe I'll do switch at some point but it's not super appealing

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hah, surprised to learn that OG Tomb Raider from the Steam store runs fine, uses dosbox and all. I downloaded and fired it up, no tweaks needed, just started playing.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

don't let anybody log in to steam on your deck... if they have the same game it might delete your save file >:(
does anybody know how to fix that? maybe the local files on my pc are still there? rollback?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mescal posted:

don't let anybody log in to steam on your deck... if they have the same game it might delete your save file >:(
does anybody know how to fix that? maybe the local files on my pc are still there? rollback?
Your save is probably still cloud synced. If you delete the proton prefix then login again it will pull your cloud save, but if you login first it might overwrite it in the cloud?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I got a 48" 4k OLED 120hz monitor because of bad impulse control (plus $1499 marked down to $799 plus a $200 rebate). It is funny to me that now I will be playing a lot of the same games at either deck size or "too big, dummy", with no inbetween

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I got a 48" 4k OLED 120hz monitor because of bad impulse control (plus $1499 marked down to $799 plus a $200 rebate). It is funny to me that now I will be playing a lot of the same games at either deck size or "too big, dummy", with no inbetween

Where'd you see that deal? I'm in the market for a new monitor.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cabbages and Kings posted:

This is a TV my friend

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I got my Steam Deck Dock. Works perfectly. 3440 x 1440 @ 100Hz over HDMI 2.0 on my Alienware AW3423DW. Unsure if Freesync is working, is there a way to check?
Half Life 2 runs at 80fps at this resolution. A Steam Deck can really be a main PC for someone who does light gaming and web browsing.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I ended up going with the 4k70 one as im not really interested in doing too much tv / monitor okay but would be nice for some of the couch co-op games. Mostly would like to be able to charge while loading up roms.and poo poo with a USB stick

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 15, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Animal posted:

I got my Steam Deck Dock. Works perfectly. 3440 x 1440 @ 100Hz over HDMI 2.0 on my Alienware AW3423DW. Unsure if Freesync is working, is there a way to check?
Half Life 2 runs at 80fps at this resolution. A Steam Deck can really be a main PC for someone who does light gaming and web browsing.

II'm surprised at how good the system wide FSR is, it looks pretty remarkable to see a 800p image look great at 1440p.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

For you guys trying to transfer large files over, if it's a Windows environment it seems pretty trivial to just share a folder and smb connect to it from the deck in desktop mode and just start copy/pasting everything and letting it go. Also I use DWService as a really simple but good remote agent that works great to mess around with the dock from my desktop.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Animal posted:

Half Life 2 runs at 80fps at this resolution.

Haha that is insane.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

For you guys trying to transfer large files over, if it's a Windows environment it seems pretty trivial to just share a folder and smb connect to it from the deck in desktop mode and just start copy/pasting everything and letting it go. Also I use DWService as a really simple but good remote agent that works great to mess around with the dock from my desktop.
Yeah but you gotta stay in desktop mode for that, where as if you're pushing to it via SFTP or whatever other weird program people are using you can do whatever you want while copying.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Steam Deck is cool because I finally have an easy way to show people how great Kind Words is.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what should i play now im done with vampire survivors and hand of fate 2 and mega man soccer and that new turtles beatemup

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Super No Vacancy posted:

what should i play now im done with vampire survivors and hand of fate 2 and mega man soccer and that new turtles beatemup

that game from your childhood that you never beat but can now emulate

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Anyone have recommendations on a specific screen protector for the Steam Deck? I'm in Canada, if that makes a difference.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

kynikos posted:

How is Scorn?

It runs surprisingly well on the Deck, I was fully expecting it to buckle from the early build I had tried before, but it's great on High. It's mostly puzzling so far, but playing it with the lights off on the Deck is a get mood setter. About 2 hours into it, it's fairly solid so far. Can't wait to get the physical art book from them though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone know a good way to install Minecraft (bedrock) onto the Steam deck? Specially the windows version? I don't give a gently caress about Java, this is only to play with my kids. Aside from goofing around with them, I'm kinda over the game. Been playing it on and off for 12 years :corsair:

It looks like I'd have to install Windows, which I'm not doing. How do y'all get Game Pass on there?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

MCPElauncher, which runs the android phone minecraft, bedrock compatible, works on the Steamdeck. It's running a couple of versions behind (1.18) due to development issues and possibly some drama, but you can get that running without too much hassle. (as long as your kid is playing same version)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Anyone know a good way to install Minecraft (bedrock) onto the Steam deck? Specially the windows version? I don't give a gently caress about Java, this is only to play with my kids. Aside from goofing around with them, I'm kinda over the game. Been playing it on and off for 12 years :corsair:

It looks like I'd have to install Windows, which I'm not doing. How do y'all get Game Pass on there?
Windows Bedrock is a Windows Store app so thats a no go, you have to install Windows. Anyone playing Game Pass either installed Windows or is streaming. Not sure if Minecraft is on Xbox cloud or not.

There is a Linux launcher for the Android version of bedrock that should work on the deck, though. Should be on the Discover store I think, or you can get the flatpak here https://flathub.org/apps/details/io.mrarm.mcpelauncher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I know nothing about ROMs or emulation, never done any of it.

How do I do it on the SteamDeck, starting on step 1? :(