Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:actually: they are Men of Wö

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

MariusLecter posted:

And yeah, I was thinking the same thing the fucker saw the whole tribunal nonsense? Couldn't have helped out with one loving bullet for one of the mercs? What a loving rear end in a top hat.

To be fair (but you don't gotta had it to him) he probably didn't have any. He's out of bullets when you meet him, and probably hasn't shot anything since the tribunal. The bullet that killed The Hanged Man was probably his very last one.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Staltran posted:

To be fair (but you don't gotta had it to him) he probably didn't have any. He's out of bullets when you meet him, and probably hasn't shot anything since the tribunal. The bullet that killed The Hanged Man was probably his very last one.

If he had a thousand crates of rifle rounds he still wouldn't have lifted/squeezed a finger. His dialogue makes that clear.
A self hating misanthrope with a grain of longing that got Harry involved, if only he knew what he was awakening with that fateful shot.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Finished my first playthrough, definitely going to do another run to see how much can change since I'm sure a lot of events play out differently

Trial at the end went well enough considering how much time I spent dicking around and how everything went to poo poo during the merc standoff. Eight people dead and Kim in the hospital but I was able to solve everything about the murder easily enough past that point. I had done visual calculus in Klaasje's room and wanted to investigate the island much earlier but as far as I can tell there's no way to get there until after the shootout happens and you gain access to the boat. Maybe a tunnel from the bunker north of the church leads there but Kim shut the idea down at the time and then it disappeared as an option, it was super low percent anyway. I thought the standoff was scripted to happen immediately after confronting Ruby but maybe that was a coincidence of timing. Never found out where she went after that and if the gun she had wasn't mine (I think it was just one she smuggled herself) then I never got a lead on who purchased it from the pawn shop. All the time spent phasmid hunting paid off, was able to easily mind meld with it when it appeared on the island. Not sure how much it actually helped with the trial besides producing the helmet and scope, my partner mostly took it as more evidence that I'd gone insane even with Cuno backing me up. Helping the musicians set up the nightclub in the church didn't seem to interact much with the case, the other officers thought it was a waste of time and I can't really disagree. Never managed to fully complete it by making my own theory of the hole in space, I think I had to speak to Joyce in private to get rid of the -10 debuff on that check. Never got past the first night of the Communist reading club either since the standoff pushed me into the end game at that point. Solved the murder, got the confession and motive, got taken back by the precinct and they put Cuno in a junior detective program

Besides wasting a lot of time I did a relatively normal run with most points put into the top row skills. Going to play the next run as a fascist lunatic and try to avoid some of the more obvious mistakes.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Staltran posted:

So when you think about it, he did have a bullet for one of the mercs.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
e: Quote it not edit

Special shoutout to the Wompty-Dompty Dom Centre. Ended with about 10 skill points still waiting to be spent and over $150 since it was triggering multiple times in almost every conversation. Don't think any of the other thought cabinet bonuses came anywhere close to being as useful.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Special shoutout to the Wompty-Dompty Dom Centre. Ended with about 10 skill points still waiting to be spent and over $150 since it was triggering multiple times in almost every conversation. Don't think any of the other thought cabinet bonuses came anywhere close to being as useful.
Actual Art Degree is pretty game breaking as well for the massive amount of skill points it gives you and it can be obtained day 1 with the right build.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Staltran posted:

Not his last. He had one last one squirrelled away somewhere safe for Rene, after all.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Kim was gone driving the body to the morgue my first game when I talked to everyone the second day. He's with me when I'm talking to Martin Matinaise and he can barely hold himself together. Harry: WHY IS THE SMOKER ON THE BALCONY SO MYSTERIOUS - Kim: :hehe:

Also, think i misread and misheard Cuno interactions after the locusts thing. Thought he was embracing art and being whoever he wants. Now it seems like i made it lame. Unless I did something different I don't remember this feels unresolved.

At least I got the girl out of the cold and studying inside the bookstore. And I got a neat hat! Probably the best hat in the game. Goes great with the phasmid necklace.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/y0ttih/saw_this_tarot_card_and_thought_it_bore_a_strong/

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

MariusLecter posted:

If he had a thousand crates of rifle rounds he still wouldn't have lifted/squeezed a finger. His dialogue makes that clear.
A self hating misanthrope with a grain of longing that got Harry involved, if only he knew what he was awakening with that fateful shot.

with that shot he may have begun the rebuilding of communism without even knowing it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm torn between 1) every Major Arcana being represented by a different Disco Elysium character, or 2) each one represented by the contents of Harry's brain, all of the skills/copotypes/thought cabinet horrors.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I'm torn between 1) every Major Arcana being represented by a different Disco Elysium character, or 2) each one represented by the contents of Harry's brain, all of the skills/copotypes/thought cabinet horrors.

Remember those cool cards where if you turn them slightly, an alternate image appears

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Nah, just got a bunch of the Hardies killed in this incident. The revolution is larger than his bullshit.

Also just realized the special borscht helped me out! I turned up the vodka thinking it would help with talking with the Hardies somehow. Looser lips or better chance on the authority check...would have made that harder tho lol. At any rate I'm sure they enjoyed it.

And I just had to Google it cause I wasn't seeing any effect and of course it helped the Hardies face the mercs. If some had run off it would have been easier for the mercs to kill everyone left.

Titus surviving was such a relief. Poor Angus tho.
Shaking his hand man to man and acknowledging HE is the law here and already a sergeant in his own department was so good.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 14, 2022

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
I always found the character-building system and the rewriting of the internal monologue to be more interesting than the lore of fictional world itself. I could explore any setting with the same RPG mechanics in place and be just as fascinated with what parts of the world are either invisible or impossible to ignore depending on one's own neurological tics, with past life experiences there to fill the gaps of information with bias and semi-truths.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

MariusLecter posted:

Shaking his hand man to man and acknowledging HE is the law here and already a sergeant in his own department was so good.

That's really how the RCM works. It's the Citizen's Militia, not a centralized police department imposed from above -- the people created it, and the people support it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

MariusLecter posted:

Nah, just got a bunch of the Hardies killed in this incident. The revolution is larger than his bullshit.

Also just realized the special borscht helped me out! I turned up the vodka thinking it would help with talking with the Hardies somehow. Looser lips or better chance on the authority check...would have made that harder tho lol. At any rate I'm sure they enjoyed it.

And I just had to Google it cause I wasn't seeing any effect and of course it helped the Hardies face the mercs. If some had run off it would have been easier for the mercs to kill everyone left.

Titus surviving was such a relief. Poor Angus tho.

yeah but the whole thing is a precipitating event for Harry's healing, and he is the vanguard of the revolution

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Arab spring was kicked off by a guy setting himself on fire because a lady cop pushed him around. If that can spark a revolution I’m not sure why a bunch of mercs trying to wipe out a labour union couldnt

Updog Scully
Apr 20, 2021

This post is accompanied by all the requisite visual and audio effects.

:blastback::woomy::blaster:

MariusLecter posted:

The revolution is made or broken in incidents such as these. The Homestead Strike and subsequent attempt on Henry Clay Frick's life, an incident quite similar to the events of DE, affected the American labour movement so drastically that it has never really recovered.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

https://twitter.com/TilFolkvang/status/1580378829574459392

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm still stuck on where they were between 'hugely influential' and 'a complete failure at everything they did until they made a video game'

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Alchenar posted:

I'm still stuck on where they were between 'hugely influential' and 'a complete failure at everything they did until they made a video game'

An Estonian guy I spoke with said they made a huge splash in the counterculture scene last decade and were also pretty reviled by the mainstream taste makers. They hijacked an art magazine, wrote some provocative books, probably some other stuff. The ZA/UM collective apparently quietly fizzled out or broke up some years ago - it was kind of a surprise that they came out with something as successful as Disco Elysium, as they were already disappearing from the public consciousness. The ex ZA/UM folks are supposedly still doing some cool poo poo, just not as a collective. They still aren't widely known or acknowledged for it in Estonia.

That's just from one guy though, there's probably more to it.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 14, 2022

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Mister Bezos is helping me fund my show

dumby
Oct 25, 2007
Amazing game, a little wordy. would be cool if the sequel was like a battle royale in the revacholian revolution.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Alchenar posted:

They were hugely influential in the field of failure

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

General Battuta posted:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

wiegieman posted:

That's really how the RCM works. It's the Citizen's Militia, not a centralized police department imposed from above -- the people created it, and the people support it.

Are you telling me I missed an opportunity to have Titus be the head of a new department where the 41st and Kim's dept (i forget the number) don't want anything to do with and have the Hardies get cool patrol cloaks, shades and MCs??

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

General Battuta posted:

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

General Battuta posted:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Alchenar posted:

This is the game that say Communism is failure, but still worth it. I could see that kind of thinking being applied to your artistic output too (because anything creative is built on possibly decades of gently caress ups and hard lessons, after all)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shoehead posted:

This is the game that say Communism is failure, but still worth it. I could see that kind of thinking being applied to your artistic output too (because anything creative is built on possibly decades of gently caress ups and hard lessons, after all)

It's also a game about a burnt out drunk achieving success through sheer talent despite having no idea where they are or what they are doing

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alchenar posted:

It's also a game about a burnt out drunk achieving success through sheer talent despite having no idea where they are or what they are doing

The AmericanEstonian dream.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Detective, do you remember the way you acted at the hotel last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC0968-36s4

I want to get off Mr. Du Bois' Wild Carousel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79SmrhvtMco

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
As far as I can tell, the 'Kei Martin' thing is suspicious to say the least and doesn't *really* match even the firsthand account from the ZA/UM folks themselves. I mean, straight-up the Amazon thing didn't work in the way it's portrayed there.

However, Martin Luiga posted something more on Medium, claiming Kurvitz was fired for fostering a toxic environment: https://medium.com/@martinluiga/happy-birthday-disco-elysium-c915344664b6

From the way Luiga presents it, this is all a manipulation from Kender and the fraudman to pit Kurvitz and the rest of the team against each other, and certainly there seems to be some animosity based on the ZA/UM devs tweeting about this, so it would seem to track.

Also Kurvitz being compared to Trotsky after he was accused of being a Stalinist is p. funny.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

As far as I can tell, the 'Kei Martin' thing is suspicious to say the least and doesn't *really* match even the firsthand account from the ZA/UM folks themselves. I mean, straight-up the Amazon thing didn't work in the way it's portrayed there.

That post reads like he's an Estonian who is familiar with their pre-DE work, but has no personal insight into the current situation.

quote:

However, Martin Luiga posted something more on Medium, claiming Kurvitz was fired for fostering a toxic environment: https://medium.com/@martinluiga/happy-birthday-disco-elysium-c915344664b6

From the way Luiga presents it, this is all a manipulation from Kender and the fraudman to pit Kurvitz and the rest of the team against each other, and certainly there seems to be some animosity based on the ZA/UM devs tweeting about this, so it would seem to track.

Also Kurvitz being compared to Trotsky after he was accused of being a Stalinist is p. funny.

It's nice of this guy to keep throwing more oil on the fire of the drama for us, but at this point I'd rather just sit back and wait for the legal fight to be settled.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Tbh it would be kind of funny if Kurvitz was exactly the same kind of toxic co-worker that gets ditched by the rest of the team as Harry is.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

christmas boots posted:

Tbh it would be kind of funny if Kurvitz was exactly the same kind of toxic co-worker that gets ditched by the rest of the team as Harry is.

Write what you know

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
If he was yet another toxic game developer, it wouldn’t be too surprising (especially given the excerpts people posted from the book where he talks about the insanely unhealthy work ethic and how the project almost collapsed at the end), but I would’ve expected Jason Schreier or someone similar to be sharing anonymous accounts of said toxicity by this point.

I hope he wasn’t, because no one deserves to work under that, not even for the masterpiece that is Disco Elysium.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple
Today I learned that a skua is an actual bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

King Carnivore posted:

Today I learned that a skua is an actual bird.

This gives me an excuse to bring up a little interaction which I don't see mentioned much:

Accounting for players who decide to bring the bird back for Garte but who didn't actually pick it up is a an amazing little touch.