Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Surely Keith is panicking a bit now at the thought of the Tories putting someone even just sensible or not brain-dead in charge? I mean, all he has got is looking sensible - and the Tories will have looking sensible and wanting to kill the poor - the winning ticket in the England apparently

his main advantage is how few of those people they have left/how few of the relatively less silly ones will have the support of MPs

e: 225 is 15 squared. isn't that exciting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/duncanweldon/status/1581173268559859713?s=46&t=G5E4kv1AIbGZBtLQqge-Pg

Yay!

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Surely Keith is panicking a bit now at the thought of the Tories putting someone even just sensible or not brain-dead in charge? I mean, all he has got is looking sensible - and the Tories will have looking sensible and wanting to kill the poor - the winning ticket in the England apparently

Starmer also wants to kill the poor, though.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Crymetimeboys posted:

Starmer also wants to kill the poor, though.

yes the Tory advantage is being able to be honest about it

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angepain posted:

yes the Tory advantage is being able to be honest about it

It's also the Republicans' advantage over the Democrats in US politics.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

What exactly is their ideological opposition to investment instead of cuts anyway. Is it just firesale as fast as possible and get whatever you can out of it gently caress you? Is the graft really that simple and obvious or do they genuinely believe that THIS time we won't get hosed over by selling off the... *checks notes* very land we live on?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

You're assuming he wants to win. There's been no particular sign of that so far…

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Mebh posted:

What exactly is their ideological opposition to investment instead of cuts anyway. Is it just firesale as fast as possible and get whatever you can out of it gently caress you? Is the graft really that simple and obvious or do they genuinely believe that THIS time we won't get hosed over by selling off the... *checks notes* very land we live on?

You've really nailed it here for me.

Since COVID I've visited my home town in Victoria, BC, Canada, and Copenhagen. Two cities that I know reasonably well.

With both, I was struck by home much visible public investment was happening. New sewage treatment plant. New large public conference center. New parks. New bike lanes.

All of them gave the sense of society and economy on the rise. Of interesting shared space and infrastructure for everyone to use. Not to mention: new business opportunities! New cafes, new clothing stores and coffee shops. A true growth economy from the ground up.

With Truss and co: they scare me because they're true believers in the horseshit and lies of their predecessors. They all knew at least that they were full of poo poo and ruining the economy for their own personal gain. I wouldn't be surprised if Truss actually wasn't making any secret cash or deals out of this, she genuinely seems to believe in this shite.

Investing in public infrastructure is so clearly a positive way forward out of this mess they e created, but they're too dogmatic and thick to see it.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Mebh posted:

The politicians on the economic right either do not believe fiscal multipliers are real, which would mean spending can never solve budget problems, or they do not believe they can ever admit they are real, because that would mean admitting every austerity related death was deliberate.

I think at this point we are not only neck deep in true believers, but we've run out of the few true believers that know how anything else works. They think any white papers they disagree with are just, like, your opinion

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Mourning Due posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Truss actually wasn't making any secret cash or deals out of this, she genuinely seems to believe in this shite.

I can assure you she's making a stupid amount steering this already submerged ship into the ocean floor. These politicians are merely puppets for insidious old white businessmen. Always have been, always will be. Until the UK trashes this decorum bullshit and rewrites it's governing laws, they'll continue to do and get away with ALL of this bollocks, regardless of party affiliation.

e: things like the house of lords are a direct example of this in action, completely useless loving arm of government that costs the taxpayer so people like Bojo can sprog their wankmates in to a peerage.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 15, 2022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/jondharvey/status/1580922281517207552

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

How long before they bring back “we’re all in this together”?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Honestly I think the damage to the brand™ is too extensive and the blue tories are going to be out of power for a while, giving the red Tories a good long run.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Mebh posted:

Government investment is inevitably waylaid by lobbyists, pork-barrelling politicians and insider trading, so the best thing to do is stand back and let the free market allocate capital far efficiently. You can see this playing out in the streetscape for example. Council transport budgets get captured by local interests and tend to go on wasteful things like cycle lanes, pedestrianisation and traffic calming. In areas where the council has no money, private sector investment isn't crowded out and you can see Amazon and Tesco busily at work repairing all the potholes so their delivery vans moving more speedily, thus maximising their profit and the wealth of all.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mourning Due posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Truss actually wasn't making any secret cash or deals out of this, she genuinely seems to believe in this shite.
Yea I’d easily believe that either Truss is a true believer or that she’s too stupid to figure out how to make the grift work. I think we’re at the point where the PM is a victim of the scam instead of the one orchestrating it.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

It’s not that much of a threat because 1) as pointed out there are few of those left and 2) with the new person you can still keep pointing out how hilarious it is they’re the fourth Tory PM in three years.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Endjinneer posted:

Government investment is inevitably waylaid by lobbyists, pork-barrelling politicians and insider trading, so the best thing to do is stand back and let the free market allocate capital far efficiently. You can see this playing out in the streetscape for example. Council transport budgets get captured by local interests and tend to go on wasteful things like cycle lanes, pedestrianisation and traffic calming. In areas where the council has no money, private sector investment isn't crowded out and you can see Amazon and Tesco busily at work repairing all the potholes so their delivery vans moving more speedily, thus maximising their profit and the wealth of all.

I live next to an Amazon hub in an area where the council have no money and is this a parody post?

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

What would happen if the Tories lost all their seats next election? Would the opposition just be a handful of Lib Dems, Greens and SNP?

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

justcola posted:

What would happen if the Tories lost all their seats next election? Would the opposition just be a handful of Lib Dems, Greens and SNP?

The opposition would be whatever the biggest party not in government was. Probably the SNP.

Actually, the opposition is *all* non-government parties, but the Leader comes from the largest party (and they have various other benefits)

Not sure what happens if there are two equally large parties.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

I live next to an Amazon hub in an area where the council have no money and is this a parody post?
It's a faithful retelling of the current government economic theories

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sebzilla posted:

The opposition would be whatever the biggest party not in government was. Probably the SNP.

Actually, the opposition is *all* non-government parties, but the Leader comes from the largest party (and they have various other benefits)

Bareknuckle fight in the Commons and halfway through the Speaker tosses the mace in

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

sebzilla posted:

The Labour leader gets mocked by everyone until the next election.

More so than usual, I mean.

Crymetimeboys
Aug 30, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One guess as to which conservative politician said this today.

quote:

things are going to be really tough. We can’t take irresponsible risks with the country’s finances. We must be the party of sound money...

It means not being able to do things... as quickly as we might like.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i think the tories as a party are now dead in the water, consumed by the cancer that was UKIP

however tory voters are still with us so we will probably find out that a lot of labour politicians might suddenly change their views on certain issues

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Centre-left soc-dem economic issues?

No, not those issues.

Which issues then?

Oh, you know the ones.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

That is about what you'd expect really, in that the British public are racist reactionary jobbies who don't want to worry about the cost of a visit to the GP or A&E

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Grim thread about Labour fighting reheated Cameronism with reheated Cameronism:

https://twitter.com/nicholasguyatt/status/1581252243315048449?s=46&t=G5E4kv1AIbGZBtLQqge-Pg

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mebh posted:

Investment is a huge political issue. It takes time and lots of money for investment to start and finish. And whomever is in power when investments materialise are the ones to capitalise.

That's why it is so important in England....(checks notes) a country with a two party political where one party tends to be in power for decades that they don't make investments as they might not be the ones in power when it pays off?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Guavanaut posted:

Centre-left soc-dem economic issues?

No, not those issues.

Which issues then?

Oh, you know the ones.

God that's depressing. Does this make Starmer right in the direction he has taken the party? At least in the "do whatever it takes to win".

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I guess our biggest exports will soon be plagues

https://twitter.com/doctor_oxford/status/1581249558222278661

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jel Shaker posted:

i like the tall blonde one who isn’t as charismatic as he thinks he is

i heard he's a creationist too?

bloody loony lefty bbc :rolleye:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Bumfluff posted:

Still remember this years later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjH4arIn-80

My mum was taking me to college before she went to work and we both just looked at each other and burst out laughing. You can tell he's really trying to not laugh too.

i've always thought he was gripped by blind panic

and my favourite bit is the cough to try to cover it up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Post-Brexit queues replaced with a permanent quarantine regime.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Had a big rant to my 'tory but don't really talk about politics' family about Therese Coffey the other day and got some awkward silences and this morning found a picture of my Stepdad with her. Lmao.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1581254604058021888

I mentioned about this the other day. So with the 1922 committee being powerless under the current rules, though there is a mechanism to change said rules which would take time, I guess the next step is a vote of confidence in the house?

Tomberforce posted:

Had a big rant to my 'tory but don't really talk about politics' family about Therese Coffey the other day and got some awkward silences and this morning found a picture of my Stepdad with her. Lmao.

Oh gently caress. I'm so sorry. lmao

I stopped talking to my mum completely a few weeks ago after yet another failed attempt at building bridges, as trying to pick through her telegraph pickled brain was like peeling an onion, only to find more rot, lies and gaslighting. I've given up putting any more effort into the relationship, as the whole situation was draining energy I don't have. I have better relationships with strangers I meet when out than I do with my own mum...

Not sure what your situation is (or anyone else reading this in a similar situation), but you can choose your friends AND your family. I also cut my brother out over a decade ago and haven't looked back. Toxic people are toxic people, regardless of whether you share a history and/or DNA with them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Lady Gaza posted:

Maybe she didn’t realise there’s a difference between making campaign speeches to deranged Tory party members who’ll cheer anything regardless of how much sense it makes as long as it appeals to their prejudices,
I just think about the reporters talking to her supporters coming out of that 1922 meeting ashen faced going "my god, she actually doesn't know what she's doing." I think they pushed to have her elected as a friendly idiot who'd do what they wanted, and then swiftly found out why putting an idiot in charge is a very, very bad idea.

She's like a wrestler who had a bad head injury, can no longer understand the concept of kayfabe, and so talks in shoot interviews even when dealing with backstage staff

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

LOL there is no way the civil servants can let this happen, right? gently caress me sideways.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

This'll probably just be the totally useless ones like aureomycin you've been able to get over the counter in other countries for decades, and which we've been routinely feeding to cattle for just as long.
It'll make NHS triage a lot more easy when the serious patients are the ones stained yellow from head to foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

forkboy84 posted:

LOL there is no way the civil servants can let this happen, right? gently caress me sideways.

Oh great that's all we need is even more of the doctor's job to land on us and even more people losing their minds because we cannot provide every service perfectly with just three minimum wage part-timers and an exhausted pharmacist.

e: had a guy absolutely blow his stack yesterday because we asked him to sign the back of his morphine prescription. You're meant to sign all of them but we mostly do it for folk. But controlled drugs are another matter. He insisted it had never happened before and yelled for minutes before finally phoning his wife, who told him yes, that's right, you have to sign for it. He did and said to me "She says I have to sign it." "So not really worth shouting at me then, was it sir?" "Well it's just one of those things."

One of those things like you thinking I'd be afraid of you, you big fuckwit.