Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

namesake posted:

By doing these sorts of stunts JSO is following the faulty theory of change that XR had - Action -> Attention -> Popularity -> Pressure -> Change. They're still doing blockades of depots and roads and things but so long as they agree with the XR theory of change then the general media blackout on them is a devasting attack and they have to up the stakes to get into the headlines again. It's a shame because the work they do around depots is close to the real theory of change - Action -> Disruption of capital/political action -> Conflict -> Victory -> Change. If they were more confident in themselves and worked to advocate for their own actions more regardless of mainstream opinion then they'd be more effective.

The tweet describing it as the physical form of an anguished scream about how little is being done is probably on point as well.

yeah I think this is it. We're so used to media attention being the solution nowadays because that's how the media has trained us to be, but there's a massive gap in thinking between Attention and Popularity that XR and JSO are missing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
XR is the group that told people to put red paint on their hands and turn themselves in to the police right?

guys.... I think your protest groups might not be entirely on the level

Casey Finnigan has issued a correction as of 14:48 on Oct 15, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nice. That's good.

that's the way it works in Greece and it was really good being able to go to a pharmacy and be like "yup tonsillitis I need some of x antibiotic" without having to call up my gp each weekday at precisely 7am and see if they have any appointments today

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I assume that this is part of a broader lifting of restrictions on self-medication, and now trans people in britain won't have to wait 4+ years for HRT?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I just listened to that awful Jay Z album where he raps about how he’s a billionaire and how his art collection keeps increasing in value and it does truly make me want to destroy all art.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This might be the single most dangerous thing the Tories have tried to implement in the past 12 years, including Brexit, Universal Credit, crashing the pound & far too many other things to list.

I'm in awe

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Casey Finnigan posted:

XR is the group that told people to put red paint on their hands and turn themselves in to the police right?

guys.... I think your protest groups might not be entirely on the level

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Communist Thoughts posted:

Nice. That's good.

that's the way it works in Greece and it was really good being able to go to a pharmacy and be like "yup tonsillitis I need some of x antibiotic" without having to call up my gp each weekday at precisely 7am and see if they have any appointments today

it's going to lead to an increase in antibiotic resistance which is a dangerous and bad thing

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gripweed posted:

I assume that this is part of a broader lifting of restrictions on self-medication, and now trans people in britain won't have to wait 4+ years for HRT?

https://twitter.com/TeamGender/status/1581237310913277953?s=20&t=Hu2C_zTZ6D1OdYGpj0OLww

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/exclusive-nhs-drafts-stricter-oversight-trans-youth-care-2022-10-14/

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Casey Finnigan posted:

it's going to lead to an increase in antibiotic resistance which is a dangerous and bad thing

If you go to the gp for basically anything nowadays they give you antibiotics anyway and I think the ship has sailed on the idea of UK public health

If you're not being stupid and guzzling antibiotics for fun it's just an improvement over the current system which sucks

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
resistance to antibiotics is one of the greatest contemporary threats to public health so it should not come as a surprise to anyone that the Tories want to implement this

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If you go to the gp for basically anything nowadays they give you antibiotics anyway and I think the ship has sailed on the idea of UK public health

If you're not being stupid and guzzling antibiotics for fun it's just an improvement over the current system which sucks

this is incredibly wrong holy gently caress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it would be safer for the rest of humanity to sink the entire godforsaken island into the atlantic than let this policy take effect

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Oh you're not doing a bit

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a country beginning to hand out antibiotics like candy should have the same international repercussions as a nuclear first strike

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

is…..is she a health professional

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

If you're not being stupid

get a load of this guy

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

who bought piers morgan an account

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
the correct approach to antibiotic resistance, which is already a serious and escalating problem, is of course to give up

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Usually you're not a complete loving idiot, what happened

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Nice. That's good.

he who treats himself has a fool for a patient and an idiot for a doctor

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
gp stuff is fuckin brutal now. half my family are in a practice that has 1 part time GP, and no nurse practitioner. just impossible to get seen for anything. rough stuff

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

narcotics should be obtainable without prescription before antibiotics

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Der Meister posted:

narcotics should be obtainable without prescription before antibiotics

without question

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
When you think about it, there's so much we don't know about the human body, so who's to say whether doctors *really* know more than the average person?

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
I'm assuming the antibiotics from the chemist poo poo is intended to dovetail with the upcoming change to pharmacist independent prescribing, namely that all pharmacists will finish the basic degree with a prescribing qualification, rather than having to apply for and finish a separate independent prescribing course after at least two years on the job. No they're not adding any time to the pharmacy degree, why do you ask?

Like, I'm assuming that's the idea and not backsliding to 'just rock up and buy antibiotics for your viral sore throat no questions asked', right?

This will work really well because there's only going to be one year of 'foundation prescriber' status for pharmacists, whereas even medics get much longer despite having a longer degree that's actually focused on diagnosis and treatment. And even the current system indicates a prescriber should only work within their current area of competence. And you can't order culture and sensitivities and blood tests from your counter in Boots. We will now get 24 year old fresh faced community pharmacists under serious pressure to just smash out antibiotics for people's non-bacterial illnesses on top of the flu jabs and covid boosters and 400 MURs a year and methadone and emergency contraceptives and...

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Letting diseases evolve unchecked has never caused problems at any time in human history

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Chamale posted:

Letting diseases evolve unchecked has never caused problems at any time in human history

to be fair this would be actively helping the evolution along

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Barry Foster posted:

wrong

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Barry Foster posted:

leaned too hard into the depressed leftist persona

being ultra cynical and nihilist is all fun and games until you develop brain lesions from constant stress

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

i say swears online posted:

a country beginning to hand out antibiotics like candy should have the same international repercussions as a nuclear first strike

isn't this just a drop in the bucket compared to how many antibiotics are fed to animals, though?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Zopotantor posted:

isn't this just a drop in the bucket compared to how many antibiotics are fed to animals, though?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_use_in_livestock

Its heavily regulated in most places, with aims to reduce or cut it out as much as possible.
I think though its rampant in some areas, like the US, which is why some meats and such are banned being sent to other regions.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i say swears online posted:

sink the entire godforsaken island into the atlantic

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

The change in prescribing would apparently have to go through the MHRA first who are unlikely to agree

Der Meister posted:

is…..is she a health professional

she's overweight, smokes, apparently gives (probably expired) medication to her friends and voted to not only not ban smoking indoors, but to not ban it in cars with kids in either,citing "freedom to choose".

So she's like the anti-health secretary really.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2022/10/15/project-fear-right-along/

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Oh my god, I was wrong

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

The change in prescribing would apparently have to go through the MHRA first who are unlikely to agree

she's overweight, smokes, apparently gives (probably expired) medication to her friends and voted to not only not ban smoking indoors, but to not ban it in cars with kids in either,citing "freedom to choose".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I deeply enjoy the touch of her drooling all over her top

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

She's a well known and prolific day drinker too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Most appointments in the current gov make more sense when you realise they're literally jokes.

Two Indian descent rabidly xenophobic women as foreign secs, mog as sec for the north, the current green sec, etc etc. Even Boris as foreign sec was literally a joke back in the day as he had notoriously pissed off a bunch of foreign royalty with his humourous ditties as a columnist