Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Kinda shows how hosed our society has become when people can act like that without feeling embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Kinda shows how hosed our society has become when people can act like that without feeling embarrassed.

There's a guy walking around Birmingham city centre in full Jimmy Saville costume with at least two mates. Shame left the building a long time ago.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Dabir posted:

There's a guy walking around Birmingham city centre in full Jimmy Saville costume with at least two mates. Shame left the building a long time ago.

Tory Party conference was a couple of weeks ago - did he have the wrong date?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Send me all the morphines instead.

Mega Comrade posted:

God that's depressing. Does this make Starmer right in the direction he has taken the party? At least in the "do whatever it takes to win".
Not if

Guavanaut posted:

the most recent FT/Chapel Hill polls

are to be believed.

Both Starmer and the Tories are chasing each other to the economic right (which nobody wants) to try and capitalize on non-existent voters.

Like I don't want a neo-BNP that's economically Corbynite but also racist and pro capital punishment and armed police, but I at least admit that those voters exist (and they should feel bad about that, but mostly just feel poorly defined rage) whereas the Weetabix Wonderworld Atlas Shrugged voters they're going for do not.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Twitter is full of Tory MPs doing doorstop and street canvassing with, er, well, tiny teams of mostly white old people. lmao

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/1581213379305566209https://twitter.com/kevin_j_foster/status/1581220544737087489
https://twitter.com/Rehman_Chishti/status/1581243541614825474

While others are visiting their voter base in old people's homes

https://twitter.com/OliverDowden/status/1580905518184292352
https://twitter.com/baynes_simon/status/1580529266550505473

lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'national local matters'

What kind of nationals are in your local area and where should we send them?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
a few years back I took a prescribed common antibiotic I had used at least half a dozen times before with no problems

but that time I had an interaction and it hosed up my liver so hard I nearly died, leaving me with a permanent and life changing disability

don't gently caress around with antibiotics imo

Tesseraction posted:

as things have gone gradually shittier I have seen an increase in reet mardy fuckin' behaviours, think it's getting to folks

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I have a probable antibiotic allergy that I didn't have before. Turns out that some based on common fungal and bacterial immune defences are good for priming your immune system into full gently caress this mode the next time you take them.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

'national local matters'

What kind of nationals are in your local area and where should we send them?

I think this is who Radio Active was broadcast to?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

I stopped talking to my mum completely a few weeks ago after yet another failed attempt at building bridges, as trying to pick through her telegraph pickled brain was like peeling an onion, only to find more rot, lies and gaslighting. I've given up putting any more effort into the relationship, as the whole situation was draining energy I don't have. I have better relationships with strangers I meet when out than I do with my own mum...

Not sure what your situation is (or anyone else reading this in a similar situation), but you can choose your friends AND your family. I also cut my brother out over a decade ago and haven't looked back. Toxic people are toxic people, regardless of whether you share a history and/or DNA with them.
New Sophie Lewis book just dropped today, the title alone has caused more tory/reactionary tears and rage than anything I've seen for a long while even though the general message is pretty much just what you're saying above. Nobody is going around abolishing nice functional families, but people deserve alternatives when they don't have that, and they needn't be automatically considered 'alternative'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like all relationships, family is constantly reconstructed over time, and if it's not worth the effort, hit da bricks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

I stopped talking to my mum completely a few weeks ago after yet another failed attempt at building bridges, as trying to pick through her telegraph pickled brain was like peeling an onion, only to find more rot, lies and gaslighting. I've given up putting any more effort into the relationship, as the whole situation was draining energy I don't have. I have better relationships with strangers I meet when out than I do with my own mum...

Not sure what your situation is (or anyone else reading this in a similar situation), but you can choose your friends AND your family. I also cut my brother out over a decade ago and haven't looked back. Toxic people are toxic people, regardless of whether you share a history and/or DNA with them.

Its drat necessary.
There's full sides of my father's family that we (my family) stay clear from.
Such selfish sickening fuckers that their own children ended up not wanting anything to do with them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

As winter and starvation sets in, some of these teams will head off into the cold, never to return.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Z the IVth posted:

As winter and starvation sets in, some of these teams will head off into the cold, never to return.

New game! Spot the contrary twats deliberately not wearing a jacket. Right wing boomer men have been harping on to each other about how the poor are just used to central heating when back in my day, and yeh they turned only wearing a jumper into a dogwhistle for "everyone else is a snowflake scrounger"

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1581254604058021888

I mentioned about this the other day. So with the 1922 committee being powerless under the current rules, though there is a mechanism to change said rules which would take time, I guess the next step is a vote of confidence in the house?

Most likely next steps are MPs still submit letters and Graham Brady goes round for a quiet word telling her to quit before a no confidence vote/they change rules. Same as Johnson and May.

Edit: Tories will never do a no confidence in parliament and election won’t happen until 2024 given how certain losing is.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Latest Brexit update from the Torygraph

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RockyB posted:

Latest Brexit update from the Torygraph

:yeshaha:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

New game! Spot the contrary twats deliberately not wearing a jacket. Right wing boomer men have been harping on to each other about how the poor are just used to central heating when back in my day, and yeh they turned only wearing a jumper into a dogwhistle for "everyone else is a snowflake scrounger"

I was referring to the canvassing teams being eaten OP.

minema
May 31, 2011
loving 4 month loving wait to see a gynaecologist about my orange sized ovarian cyst that is causing constant pain and stopping me from doing basically anything other than lying on the sofa once I've got home from work, gently caress what Tories have done to the NHS

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/coldwarsteve/status/1581348852107739136

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Surely the best option for the Tories at this point is to say ‘gently caress it, General Election’. Let Labour sit on the hot seat when the big economic bomb goes off and then the whole charade can start over again

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

minema posted:

loving 4 month loving wait to see a gynaecologist about my orange sized ovarian cyst that is causing constant pain and stopping me from doing basically anything other than lying on the sofa once I've got home from work, gently caress what Tories have done to the NHS

Jesus, I’m sorry. My wife’s going through the exact same thing atm- and lost an ovary to torsion due a different cyst earlier this year.

It’s loving horrific. We’ve had to go private with her work health insurance, and even then it’s over a month of waiting till her first appointment.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Anyone got a link to that 600k excess deaths paper posted a while back?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

It’s just open warfare in the Tories if they’re prepared to leak stuff like this to hacks

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I was wondering what it was that finally led to the tories getting kicked out in the 90s?

I was only maybe about 14 at the time and not really paying attention to politics,but I'm also wondering just how much more coverage of the government antics there are now compared to then too?

For instance I knew who John Major was and vaguely recall hearing him come up on the news and whatever. But back then that was maybe just the brief updates I saw at the typical news at 10 or 6 or whatever.

This information is rolling now. You actively have to try and avoid hearing about it so I think a lot of this is going to be remembered for a long time,especially by the younger folk getting hosed over the most since the tories won 12 years ago.

Edit: basically, calling a general election might be off the table because they want to milk the gift as much as possible before they're out for decades.

Truss backfired because she did grift too obviously and everything started to collapse.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 15, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Nobody is going around abolishing nice functional families, but people deserve alternatives when they don't have that, and they needn't be automatically considered 'alternative'.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ah, here you go. Those scripted pantomime stunts have now conditioned enough of the public into accepting what's about to come:

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/status/1581335838159302657

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/status/1581335844715397120

Keith will of course eventually back the bill, or demand an even tougher one :toot:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kin posted:

I was wondering what it was that finally led to the tories getting kicked out in the 90s?

Back then having an affair or doing something dodgy was a sackable/resigning offense.
You had David Mellor, you had the brown paper bungs all over the tories.
People were just sick of them, it was a slow drip drip drip of incompetence and corruption.

These days its just a Tuesday.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That Public Order Bill is, er... wow.... extreme is an understatement.

Welcome to fascism :toot: (more so)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

happyhippy posted:

Back then having an affair or doing something dodgy was a sackable/resigning offense.
You had David Mellor, you had the brown paper bungs all over the tories.
People were just sick of them, it was a slow drip drip drip of incompetence and corruption.

These days its just a Tuesday.

The brown envelopes business was a big part of Majors downfall. Remember Martin Lewis and his white suit defeating Neil Hamilton? Of course the brown envelopes came from , erm, the dad of the bloke Princess Di went on to shag, but that kind of got forgotten.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

fuctifino posted:

That Public Order Bill is, er... wow.... extreme is an understatement.

Welcome to fascism :toot: (more so)

“Interference with use or operation of key national infrastructure” should sync up nicely with their plans to stop people in certain sectors from going on strike.

They might want to think about the wording though, considering most of this ‘key national infrastructure’ is probably in fact privatised…

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
How this woman ever got to be not only a fêted head teacher but "Social Mobility Chair" I do not know.

https://twitter.com/Miss_Snuffy/status/1581167885502013445

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hope someone reports that obvious threat to kill.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How this woman ever got to be not only a fêted head teacher but "Social Mobility Chair" I do not know.

My dog actually has a smarter, more intuitive take on what’s just occurred than “Britains Best Headteacher”

Testro
May 2, 2009
Major's government was toppled due to Black Wednesday in 1992. It ruined their credibility as being a safe pair of hands with the economy - their polling dropped massively and they lost a run of by-elections and council elections.

There were major conflicts over Europe, a leadership tussle - and as said above, the cash for questions scandal. Major also launched a 'back to basics' campaign, which was all about conservative social values - and as other posters have said, there were numerous sexual scandals (amongst other scandals) which completely contradicted the policy's aims.

The three that really stick in my mind were Milligan's auto-erotic asphyxiation, Brown's (Michael not Gordon) holiday with a 20 year old man when the age of consent was still 21, and then cash for questions. Those events happened in about 6-8 months of each other.

But it was really Black Wednesday that started it all off, and that's why we're seeing all of this angst again now with Truss. The right wing press will not critique the Conservative party until their actions damage the middle classes. Like the 80s, we've all been suffering for more than a decade - but it's not until the middle classes scream (interest rates, housing market crash) that anything changes.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1581021244933042176

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

...did he have a choice?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

minema posted:

I don’t know the cost of this but I’m sure the UKMT hardship fund would be worth asking about paying towards going private if this is at all feasible

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I’m guessing some Tories are weighing up whether they are at the nadir of their popularity now, or if it could get worse.

If it could get worse, a GE now might salvage some seats. The prospect of electoral oblivion in two years might be worrying some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Halisnacks posted:

I’m guessing some Tories are weighing up whether they are at the nadir of their popularity now, or if it could get worse.

If it could get worse, a GE now might salvage some seats. The prospect of electoral oblivion in two years might be worrying some.

2 years plenty of time for them to install a suit with a veneer of competence and the press machine to gaslight the country into voting them back in again imo.