Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

I read a few pages back about a mod that allows you to turn drifters off. What is the mod? Is there an alternative source for temporal gears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Saul Kain posted:

I read a few pages back about a mod that allows you to turn drifters off. What is the mod? Is there an alternative source for temporal gears?

You can get them, very rarely, from panning.

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

Saul Kain posted:

https://mods.vintagestory.at/nodrifters

I have been using it since day 6

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

TeaJay posted:

I feel like I kinda hit a slump at copper age. I can make tools, but on a multiplayer server with friends I have to move farther and farther for copper and I haven't found any tin to move on to bronze age (I know you can make it from other than tin itself too). The prospecting pick never seems to pick up anything, and even when it does it's usually a miniscule chance of a poor deposit.

So I guess I'm having trouble finding anything rarer than copper. Every cave is filled to the brim with drifters, and I even made some lamellae armor which holds up a bit but they still get me as soon as I run out of arrows.

First of all, definitely get the Prospector Pick Info Mod if you haven't already. It's client-side, which means it'll work even in multiplayer servers. It both instantly logs the area results to your map and adds a map overlay with all the chunks you've searched.
Remember that ore deposits are distributed in a kind of heatmap fashion - if you get absolutely jack poo poo in a chunk, there's not much point in just scooting over one or two chunks in any direction and trying again, since the results will be pretty similar. Instead, test the ground over large distances (doing it in caves is easier since it saves you the time you waste digging through the top soil), and when you get even a small chance of the ore you want, start playing hot and cold with the adjacent chunks to see if the chance for that ore increases.

Lastly, don't discount the possibility of simply getting the metal from other sources. Commodities traders occasionally have materials for bronze in stock, and Survival Goods traders usually sell bronze tools.

e: Also, caves are a real bitch, but they're not the best place to look for ores, particularly earlier in the game. The main draw of caves are the deep ruins, TLs, rare loot and some minerals like saltpeter. If you're looking for bronze, you're better off looking for ground nuggets that mark those sweet surface deposits, scanning the area with the propick, or digging bony soil from (non-cave!) ruins for panning. Panning bony soil can be a real pain, but if you gather enough there's a decent chance you'll find stuff like bronze mail pieces or lamellae, which you can craft (item+chisel) into enough bits for a full ingot per piece found.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 16, 2022

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

It works fine with the current version?

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

Saul Kain posted:

It works fine with the current version?

Yes, I'm using it with the latest version, 1.17.8

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I would recommend spawning yourself at least one temporal gear to reset your spawnpoint if you're using no drifters. I know you can still get them through panning (or the 'interesting caves' mod or whatever its called) but it took me forever to get one legitimately without drifters.

Everyone is going to enjoy the game differently but I really do enjoy it without drifters and most of the challenge being just kind of progressing, exploring, and building.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you find yourself with a few rusted gears, Treasure Hunter traders have temporal gears in their rotation.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Does sealing a crock wear off? All my crocks suddenly lost 80-ish days off their timers.

I did upgrade to 1.17.8 though. Could that have something to do with it?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I would recommend spawning yourself at least one temporal gear to reset your spawnpoint if you're using no drifters. I know you can still get them through panning (or the 'interesting caves' mod or whatever its called) but it took me forever to get one legitimately without drifters.

Everyone is going to enjoy the game differently but I really do enjoy it without drifters and most of the challenge being just kind of progressing, exploring, and building.

I haven't turned drifters off, but the trouble with them in my mind is that they just don't add a lot of difficulty to the game. Sometimes a black hole opens right over your base and you just can't work in your base for a while. That's not really challenge per se, it's just annoyance.

If there was a way to counteract rifts or close them it might be challenging, but there's not. Just occasionally no base for you go out and do something for a while.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I just turned off surface rifts in the world settings and left them as a spelunking hazard.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

First of all, definitely get the Prospector Pick Info Mod if you haven't already. It's client-side, which means it'll work even in multiplayer servers. It both instantly logs the area results to your map and adds a map overlay with all the chunks you've searched.
Remember that ore deposits are distributed in a kind of heatmap fashion - if you get absolutely jack poo poo in a chunk, there's not much point in just scooting over one or two chunks in any direction and trying again, since the results will be pretty similar. Instead, test the ground over large distances (doing it in caves is easier since it saves you the time you waste digging through the top soil), and when you get even a small chance of the ore you want, start playing hot and cold with the adjacent chunks to see if the chance for that ore increases.

Lastly, don't discount the possibility of simply getting the metal from other sources. Commodities traders occasionally have materials for bronze in stock, and Survival Goods traders usually sell bronze tools.

e: Also, caves are a real bitch, but they're not the best place to look for ores, particularly earlier in the game. The main draw of caves are the deep ruins, TLs, rare loot and some minerals like saltpeter. If you're looking for bronze, you're better off looking for ground nuggets that mark those sweet surface deposits, scanning the area with the propick, or digging bony soil from (non-cave!) ruins for panning. Panning bony soil can be a real pain, but if you gather enough there's a decent chance you'll find stuff like bronze mail pieces or lamellae, which you can craft (item+chisel) into enough bits for a full ingot per piece found.

Thanks for the tips. I have been using that mod, and a few times got results like "Decent Halite: 32% or High Sphelerite: 27%" from a sector (block?) but I haven't been able to find it from that particular block. Since usually when I use the density search (the low range one) it says "no nodes found", so it means it must be farther away. But it's still quite a large area to search especially if you're in a cave filled with monsters.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

TeaJay posted:

Thanks for the tips. I have been using that mod, and a few times got results like "Decent Halite: 32% or High Sphelerite: 27%" from a sector (block?) but I haven't been able to find it from that particular block. Since usually when I use the density search (the low range one) it says "no nodes found", so it means it must be farther away. But it's still quite a large area to search especially if you're in a cave filled with monsters.

So that mod that marks them on your map is clutch for this. Basically you're getting the info that "there's a chance of [metal] in this entire chunk from here to 0 depth" so you'll have to do some considerable mining wthin that chunk. Using the short range mode with a distance of X you can basically check, go 2X in a given direction and check again. Repeat until you've checked the entire chunk at that level and then dig 2X downward and try again. Eventually you'll find it.

Always remember that vintage story deposits are large so finding it means you'll be good on that metal for a while. One decent copper mine will very likely get you all the way through your copper and bronze ages (meaning making a new mine for your preferred bronze ingredients) and still have some left over to make plates for lanterns after you've moved on to iron tools. Surface copper deposits will almost certainly give you enough copper to make that mine. So don't give up!

As mentioned caves are rarely your friend for this. Use the density search on the surface and just dig out an entirely new mine.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Travic posted:

Does sealing a crock wear off? All my crocks suddenly lost 80-ish days off their timers.

I did upgrade to 1.17.8 though. Could that have something to do with it?

All my crocks are about to spoil, too. I think the update did something.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

TeaJay posted:

Once you find a chunk with high percentages you've been digging straight down, right? Just like in Minecraft! Always dig straight down! If you're doing exploratory shafts from surface to mantle you don't have to worry about cave drifters (unless you happen to dig into a cave, in which case you can simply use the stone you've been mining to craft stone fences and wall yourself back into a 1-block shaft). Since most ore deposits are disc-shaped, your chances of stumbling into one are much higher if you tunnel vertically than if you wander aimlessly wherever a cave might take you. To tunnel more efficiently, you need to know the exact range of your density search (I think the default is 8 blocks, a lot of players prefer 6). So you use propick close-range mode on the rock, then if you don't get a result you dig down double your density search's length, propick again, repeat, until you get a result. For stuff like iron you might have to dig several shafts that come out empty all the way to the center of the earth even if the chunk has high chances, which sucks rear end, but stuff like copper and the tin ingredients is much more likely to yield results in chunks with medium and above chances.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Crocks in my inventory are losing 24 minutes of freshness for every in game minute that passes. Basement crocks are spoiling rapidly. I think crocks are just busted right now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

A fox got into my chicken coop after I chased a rooster in but before I found a hen to chase in with him (and thus still had my animal accessible stairs), so I decided to give the animal cages mod a try. Anyone know how this is supposed to work? No matter how many times I right click with the cage in my hands (and an empty backpack slot) nothing happens. I accidentally killed three pigs trying to make these work.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 17, 2022

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Had to get a new rooster. Chased him to my base where he immediately ran face first into my active cementation furnace and died.

I think I've reached endgame. I have a tier 3 cementation furnace and a full windmill/helve hammer setup. I need to find a new project. Maybe building roads all over the place?

Also yeah crocks are busted at the moment. They're spoiling at an incredible rate.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I eventually go for finding all lore items: journals, books, and tapestries.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All the prospecting tips were very helpful. I did stumble upon some bismuth (woefully little though) and zinc so I could make myself some bronze stuff. Then I found two translocators in one cave, activated one of them and got sent to 7000, -3000 which is quite a bit to the NE from where my house is (around 300, 0) but I also found a block of ultra high copper concentration, filled my bags and still left a good deal of copper for another visit. So in the end activating that thing was a positive.

Made myself some copper lamellar armor because I have quite a lot of copper. That thing does wonders on blocking at least some damage down in the pits. I wonder of the brigandine is better or should I just roll with lamellar, now that I have it. Just managed to get some leather done too.

One cave I found had lava in the bottom but I died before I was able to explore more. Is it worth going back and potentially finding some igneous rock or something?

The prospect of building a windmill to power my forge/quern is an intriguing one but in these kind of games actual building shapes and design is never my strong suite. I like crafting and exploring, but my houses are always boring square shapes and I can never figure out how to design a roof. I would basically have to level a mountain and figure out a good way to put it over the forge room.

Here's a picture of my abode. Forge pit is in a cave left side of the ground floor entrance to the kitchen/storage.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 18, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

My early windmill is usually a stick with a rotor on the end of it, reaching to the sky. :v: It's only after a bit of time that it actually looks like a functional windmill.

Lava itself usually isn't evidence of something truly new and good and useful, unless you're hunting phyllite specifically as phyllite usually spawns far down.

I've never made metal armor, I'm usually running around in leather but then don gambeson for dangerous things.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
After rocking plate armor for a while I think I prefer chainmail for most applications. I'm just so slow with plate. Chainmail offers pretty good protection with far less downsides. Unless I'm going deep into caves. Then I need the plate to be a walking tank.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gambeson is best "I don't know what I'm doing today" armor because it's has no real impact to speed or ranged accuracy while being reasonably high tier and protection. You can definitely get away from most things if not killing it. Leather is reasonable for this and more instantly renewable assuming you have borax or lime before you have a good flax farm.

Lamellar early or chain later is good "I have an inkling i'm going to be doing something nasty to a bear or a cave but I'm not really committed."

Plate or brigandine with a shield are for when you are purposefully going bear baiting or driving to deep cave spots.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

zedprime posted:

Gambeson is best "I don't know what I'm doing today" armor because it's has no real impact to speed or ranged accuracy while being reasonably high tier and protection. You can definitely get away from most things if not killing it. Leather is reasonable for this and more instantly renewable assuming you have borax or lime before you have a good flax farm.

Lamellar early or chain later is good "I have an inkling i'm going to be doing something nasty to a bear or a cave but I'm not really committed."

Plate or brigandine with a shield are for when you are purposefully going bear baiting or driving to deep cave spots.

Yeah Gambeson is more than good enough for me and the tailored version removes enough penalties that I’m fine wearing it constantly. It’s great for temporal storms (paired with a few bandaids) though I haven’t tried it against those deep cave sawblade bugs which are extremely nasty.

Three cheers for flax!

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I just don't have enough linen to consider Gambeson. We're just coming off our first winter and I haven't had much success getting a flax farm up yet. We did find a fair amount of copper, so I made the copper armor, but in hindsight it might've been a mistake since it's such low durability and takes a lot of damage.

I just managed to mine into a huge iron vein, so maybe some kinda chain mail would be feasible? Of course that probably needs a lot of leather too, so better go and hunt some sheep...

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, always mass farm linen, it's just too useful and provides feed for chickens. I try to aim to keep everyone clothed through the winter and plenty of spare armor. Also enough for 4 windmills because then you can link them via a transmission and get stupid fast helve hammers or run them at a reasonable speed even if there is very little wind.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

How do I connect a second device to a windmill? I have a pretty bare bones setup with the axle coming down and powering a helve hammer (took some figuring out!) but if I want to have the same windmill powering my quern as well, do I need the big gear or can I just attach an axle to the opposite side of the hammer on the lowest point of the vertical axle of the windmill?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I need to jump back into playing this but disable temporal storms. Well they are kinda neat it prevents me from wanting to stray far from my base in case I get caught up in one. Plan to leave in drifters though so there is still some enemy to fight.

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

TeaJay posted:

How do I connect a second device to a windmill? I have a pretty bare bones setup with the axle coming down and powering a helve hammer (took some figuring out!) but if I want to have the same windmill powering my quern as well, do I need the big gear or can I just attach an axle to the opposite side of the hammer on the lowest point of the vertical axle of the windmill?

You can pass power through the helve hammer toggle, just put axles on both sides, but the more things you power, the slower everything runs.

In my setup, the windmill turns the large gear wheel. A quern, helve hammer, pulverizer each have the own connection to the large gear with a clutch/transmission to allow me to turn on one at a time.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Popete posted:

I need to jump back into playing this but disable temporal storms. Well they are kinda neat it prevents me from wanting to stray far from my base in case I get caught up in one. Plan to leave in drifters though so there is still some enemy to fight.

Disabling storms as well as rifts while leaving drifters as primarily cave dwelling monstrosities - because wolves and bears are bad enough! - has done well for me.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Is there any benefit to actually confronting a temporal storm? I've just buried myself in a two block hole until it's over because I'm scared. Never even seen what they're like. Seems like hiding in a hole is an obvious and easy way to "defeat" temporal storms, so I'm not sure what purpose they actually have.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Eiba posted:

Is there any benefit to actually confronting a temporal storm? I've just buried myself in a two block hole until it's over because I'm scared. Never even seen what they're like. Seems like hiding in a hole is an obvious and easy way to "defeat" temporal storms, so I'm not sure what purpose they actually have.

The chance at temporal gears from dead drifters, as far as I can tell.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Eiba posted:

In multiplayer they serve as a good way to farm temporal gears and rusty gears. I weather them for this purpose only.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

In multiplayer they serve as a good way to farm temporal gears and rusty gears. I weather them for this purpose only.

Couldn't you do the same by going into caves?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Popete posted:

Couldn't you do the same by going into caves?

Yeah but usually it's far easier to recover your stuff if you die at your base (where most people face temp storms at) than at the bottom of a hellpit in the dark. Plus at your base you can build some sort of storm shelter that allows you to ratfuck the spawn / fight mechanics for easy loot, Minecraft exp farm style.
Drop rates can still be pretty lousy, though, so bony soil can be a decent alternative for gears.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

SexyBlindfold posted:

Yeah but usually it's far easier to recover your stuff if you die at your base (where most people face temp storms at) than at the bottom of a hellpit in the dark. Plus at your base you can build some sort of storm shelter that allows you to ratfuck the spawn / fight mechanics for easy loot, Minecraft exp farm style.
Drop rates can still be pretty lousy, though, so bony soil can be a decent alternative for gears.

Speaking of which what do I have to do to stop drifters from spawning in my little bunker? I've tried putting down stones down to abuse the whole block rule. I've tried lighting the area up, but nothing seems to stop them from appearing.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Putting down stones has worked for me, though after the 4th time I used my bunker to avoid combat I just turned storms off entirely.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Travic posted:

Speaking of which what do I have to do to stop drifters from spawning in my little bunker? I've tried putting down stones down to abuse the whole block rule. I've tried lighting the area up, but nothing seems to stop them from appearing.

During a temporal storm, they can spawn anywhere there's 2 blocks of air regardless of light level. Stones on the ground work if there are only two blocks of air total. Slabs as the floor - creating a 1.5 blocks of air the player character can crouch walk into only - works.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DiscretionOverValor posted:

In my setup, the windmill turns the large gear wheel. A quern, helve hammer, pulverizer each have the own connection to the large gear with a clutch/transmission to allow me to turn on one at a time.

I actually thought about doing the same with the big gear, but for me the windmill doesn't seem to have enough power to operate the hammer or the quern. It happily rotates when there's nothing attached, though. Is it because I only had enough linen for one set of sails?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

One set of sails is quite likely. In a windy spot that can turn a quern, but not a helve hammer quickly. There’s no way to check if you’re in a windy area other than seeing if there are windstorms regularly. You can mitigate that by building higher as every block the rotor is above sea level is some small % higher wind speed.

But you really get going with 3 sail additions. When you go big gear, that’s when you can think about 2 or more windmills all coming together into a big gear which then turns another big gear which then powers multiple machines.