Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I guess time to perma-stop upkeep against any deck playing black when they have 4 mana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

already answered above, but I said that because if someone casts a sheoldred on their second main phase and you don't have anything to cast/are tapped out on their turn, it will IMMEDIATELY move to your draw phase, automatically hitting you for 2 when you may have been able to nuke the sheoldred during your untap phase. Even if you windmill slam the force stop button it doesn't matter, once that sheoldred is being cast its merely going through a visual process on screen, in the game it has already moved to your draw step since there was no further action that could be taken at the time of casting, and the visual of the different phases changing is purely cosmetic, you cannot actually stop it unless you already had a stop set up prior to the sheoldred being cast.

I've seen it happen to streamers and it's happened to me a few times, it super sucks especially against most decks with her in it since oftentimes every single health point matters.

It was supposed to be patched, but it wasn't really. Not in today's standard weekend qualifier.

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1581384033648246784?t=LV9zktCmcs765PzNyTfVOA&s=19

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Domain is so loving busted when you can go live on turn 2. Whose loving bright idea was it to make the Capenna cycle lands basic?

It's almost like they planned it out with those two sets being released next to each other. :aaaaa:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But why are they *basic*.

I played Domain in standard back in Invasion block, it was balanced when the fastest you could get rolling was an "at-the-end of their turn before your turn 4 cast Harrow", and only proceeded to get more busted when I started adding Mirrodin block cards to it, this is just loving stupid and ridiculous.

I don’t know how to break it to you but Invasion block was 20+ years ago and the cards are much stronger now, having domain 5 on t2 isn’t really anything to write home about

I’ve been playing BW walls in plat and diamond and it has been really funny. Even wins a decent amount! Faith bound Judge rules

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Was gonna post a ton of words about standard brawl with Slogurk because I love Slogurk but thought better of it. Looking for new ideas, perspectives, and card suggestions for Simic brawling. The current version, where I leaned into self-mill and added more counterspells (ugh I feel bad about it but blue seems to need em), is doing pretty well! And I think it gets put into whatever the opposite of standard hellqueue is, because I'm facing less than 10% Jodahs.

My favorite part of playing the deck is turning the weirdest cards into combat tricks. Either that or forcing opponents to read Slogurk for the first time. Discarding lands to Thirst for Knowledge can give two +1/+1 counters, which is most of the way toward letting you bounce the ooze to dodge removal or just get more lands from your graveyard. Channel lands are combat tricks. On-board Evolving Wilds and Roadside Reliquary are combat tricks.

Cards I've tried:
Network Terminal (ended up being just a 3-cost mana rock, not enough artifacts to consistently use the looting)
Joint Exploration (didn't seem to do anything)
Impulse (same)
Witness the Future (didn't seem to do anything, Devious Cover-Up is probably too much insurance against decking already)
Covetous Castaway (same)
Path to the Festival (the deck didn't feel like it played well as a heavy ramp deck)
Moonsnare Prototype (the "removal" was nice to have in Simic but kept being too expensive. I kept one Run Out of Town as an out)
Revenge of the Drowned (same)
Outland Liberator (too low-impact when it wasn't clutch)
Kodama of the West Tree (would be hilarious but doesn't hit reliably)
Syncopate (feels meh as a counter)
Mirrorshell Crab (same)

Cards I'm on the fence with:
Topiary Stomper (if I do want more ramp)
Reclusive Taxidermist (same)
Reckoner Bankbuster (pretty good, but not easy to crew early with anything but Slogurk)
Avabruck Caretaker (would be v funny to enable Slogurk bounce every turn)
Tamiyo's Compleation (nice but seems like it always gets dealt with or the target sacked for value)
Witness Protection (same)
Dissipate (might be better than Devious Cover-Up)
Ertai's Scorn (same)
Wrenn and Seven (should be good and I don't remember why I took it out, the trees are nice but Slogurk already draws a ton of land)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

wei posted:

It was supposed to be patched, but it wasn't really. Not in today's standard weekend qualifier.

https://twitter.com/fireshoes/status/1581384033648246784?t=LV9zktCmcs765PzNyTfVOA&s=19
loving brilliant

at the barest minimum credit it's at least on their list so that's something I guess

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Kashuno posted:

I don’t know how to break it to you but Invasion block was 20+ years ago and the cards are much stronger now, having domain 5 on t2 isn’t really anything to write home about

I’ve been playing BW walls in plat and diamond and it has been really funny. Even wins a decent amount! Faith bound Judge rules

Could I see a list? Orzhov walls sounds fun.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

palamedes posted:

Could I see a list? Orzhov walls sounds fun.

sure! This is what I'm doing right now. Added the Fall of Lord Konda recently and I'm not sold on it yet (I took out Clockwork Drawbridge because I've found myself really having a lot of uses for my mana), been really liking Reito Sentinel against Tenacious Underdog and Graveyard Trespasser, Farewell for if the game somehow gets away from you but Wingmantle tends to take care of that. I miight want to find some way to add some card advantage in here at some point because sometimes you just stall out

Deck
4 Wingmantle Chaplain (DMU) 3
7 Swamp (HBG) 300
3 Blight Pile (DMU) 82
5 Plains (HBG) 292
3 Gibbering Barricade (DMU) 95
3 Concealing Curtains (VOW) 101
4 Faithbound Judge (VOW) 12
2 Shield-Wall Sentinel (DMU) 238
4 Reito Sentinel (NEO) 256
3 Destroy Evil (DMU) 17
3 Liliana of the Veil (DMU) 97
3 Shattered Sanctum (VOW) 264
4 Caves of Koilos (DMU) 244
2 Takenuma, Abandoned Mire (NEO) 278
3 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire (NEO) 268
2 Farewell (NEO) 13
3 Fateful Absence (MID) 18
2 The Fall of Lord Konda (NEO) 12

e; also I had tried Walking Bulwark but never seemed to find a good use for it. It probably could fit in here, it just seemed to never be what I wanted

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 16, 2022

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
There is a stop. It's just after sheoldreds trigger is already on the stack :rolleye:

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

palamedes posted:

Was gonna post a ton of words about standard brawl with Slogurk because I love Slogurk but thought better of it. Looking for new ideas, perspectives, and card suggestions for Simic brawling. The current version, where I leaned into self-mill and added more counterspells (ugh I feel bad about it but blue seems to need em), is doing pretty well! And I think it gets put into whatever the opposite of standard hellqueue is, because I'm facing less than 10% Jodahs.

Can you post the list? I don't get into brawl that much but the deck looks interesting.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

King Keltair posted:

Can you post the list? I don't get into brawl that much but the deck looks interesting.

Here you go, I definitely recommend trying more standard brawl and double recommend 'gurkin it.

Commander
1 Slogurk, the Overslime (MID) 242

Deck
5 Forest (NEO) 291
6 Island (NEO) 285
1 Kairi, the Swirling Sky (NEO) 60
1 Arcane Signet (ANB) 117
1 Memory Deluge (MID) 62
1 Consuming Blob (MID) 177
1 Colossal Skyturtle (NEO) 216
1 Essence Scatter (DMU) 49
1 Titan of Industry (SNC) 159
1 Tatyova, Steward of Tides (DMU) 222
1 Hullbreaker Horror (VOW) 63
1 Silver Scrutiny (DMU) 65
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
1 Llanowar Loamspeaker (DMU) 170
1 Shigeki, Jukai Visionary (NEO) 206
1 Brokers Hideout (SNC) 248
1 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
1 Dreamroot Cascade (VOW) 262
1 Yavimaya Coast (DMU) 261
1 Command Tower (ANB) 118
1 Wash Away (VOW) 87
1 Thornwood Falls (NEO) 279
1 Broken Wings (DMU) 157
1 Suspicious Stowaway (MID) 80
1 Roadside Reliquary (NEO) 272
1 Evolving Wilds (M20) 246
1 Thirst for Discovery (VOW) 85
1 Crawling Infestation (VOW) 193
1 Tamiyo, Compleated Sage (NEO) 238
1 Grafted Identity (MID) 57
1 Run Out of Town (SNC) 58
1 Maestros Theater (SNC) 251
1 Obscura Storefront (SNC) 252
1 Riveteers Overlook (SNC) 255
1 Cabaretti Courtyard (SNC) 249
1 Make Disappear (SNC) 49
1 Consuming Tide (VOW) 53
1 Teachings of the Kirin (NEO) 212
1 Deathbonnet Sprout (MID) 181
1 Eccentric Farmer (MID) 185
1 Vilespawn Spider (VOW) 250
1 Devious Cover-Up (MID) 48
1 Geistwave (MID) 56
1 Karn's Sylex (DMU) 234
1 Consider (MID) 44
1 Fading Hope (MID) 51
1 The Modern Age (NEO) 66
1 Thirst for Knowledge (NEO) 85
1 The Celestus (MID) 252
1 Glorious Sunrise (VOW) 200

Kashuno posted:

wall things

Thanks!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

if you haven't seen it there's a very very cool Borthers War variant of Rampaging Ferocidon or whatever (3/3 menace for 2R) with a hilarious teeth-kicking rider on it for decks with greedy manabases

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

if you haven't seen it there's a very very cool Borthers War variant of Rampaging Ferocidon or whatever (3/3 menace for 2R) with a hilarious teeth-kicking rider on it for decks with greedy manabases

Borth? My son's name is Borth.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shrecknet posted:

That card is actually a leak from the set after Brother's War.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

T1 Ancient Tomb, Simian Spirit Guide, Furnace Punisher. Let's see who dies first, motherfucker.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

it's wild that we're already getting Phyrexia leaks

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Do we know what the "Toxic" keyword is? At a glance, I assume it means "put X poison counter equal to Toxic X onto yourself".

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Do we know what the "Toxic" keyword is? At a glance, I assume it means "put X poison counter equal to Toxic X onto yourself".

we don't even know if it's a real leak yet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My sources say that it's "When this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player takes X sips from the devil's cup, and goes on a ride"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I know what it is.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It forces your opponent to spam "your go" x times, where x is the amount of life they lost this turn.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

But why are they *basic*.

I played Domain in standard back in Invasion block, it was balanced when the fastest you could get rolling was an "at-the-end of their turn before your turn 4 cast Harrow", and only proceeded to get more busted when I started adding Mirrodin block cards to it, this is just loving stupid and ridiculous.

as I look upon a queue populated fully half by mono-black goodstuff, I can feel only the shock and outrage that exactly one "plz build my theme deck! :(" mechanic from the most recent set has the depth of support to be standard playable

this deck, this bastard of a deck, it's a Green/X deck that invests the first couple of turns doing little more than developing a higher-quality manabase that will support attacks with big creatures for the rest of the game. who is the loving LUNATIC that thought of this?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what's the next chunk of new cards on arena supposed to be? i know there's anthologies supposed to come out and innistrad remastered and brothers' war but i've lost all sense of time

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

flatluigi posted:

what's the next chunk of new cards on arena supposed to be? i know there's anthologies supposed to come out and innistrad remastered and brothers' war but i've lost all sense of time

Afaik it's just stright on to Brothers' War in like 3 weeks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

thespaceinvader posted:

Afaik it's just stright on to Brothers' War in like 3 weeks.

if it was that soon on arena i thought we'd be in the deluge of spoilers by now. google sez it's november 18 in paper and nov 15 on arena so we'll start soon I guess

mostly it's just that i'm playing a ton of arena recently and having to tell myself to retire for the day once i get past my 15 wins in an effort to not burn myself out. i've even gotten up to plat in limited with how much i've drafted and won w/ dom u and would really like a change of pace there

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'd dearly love it if there was an unranked bo1 draft queue tbh. It bugs me that if you wanna do Bo1 draft it HAS to be ranked, and you have to progress, because my progress always slows markedly when I hit plat. Which irritates me because my main hope in any set is to do a draft a day, for as long as I can, and that period is shorter and shorter it seems sometimes. Especially on a super short set like this one where I have to stop paying gems very early or i miss the next mastery pass.

I'd expect spoilers to start next week for minimal bits, then in earnest the week after?

We already have a couple of spoilers for some key set mechanics, specifically Meld and Unearth, along with a couple of mythics.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
oh yeah to be clear hitting plat isn't usually an issue, it's that i'm up in plat -- halfway through plat 2 iirc -- instead of loving around at the floor threshold like what usually happens. i don't tend to draft much after the first season reset in a set past one or two just to get the ranked reward, and for some reason i just haven't really stopped drafting dom u. maybe it's because i'm still chasing actually getting the defender deck together?

at least I crossed off 'get a sheoldred in draft' yesterday, went 6-3 with this:

draft got away from me and i had to stretch for playables, but at least i made the right decision to go 3c with the tiny bit of green i had instead of trying to stretch even harder to two color; i had a little bit of mana issues in the games i lost but rootwalla won me a few games on its own even just threatening being a 5/5. highlight card was elas il-kor by far; it was my reanimation target most of the time and i got two of my wins off of saccing my board to the horse to ping for lethal

my third game i lost because someone pulled cruelty of gix and used it to discard and steal my sheoldred, which i might have been able to survive through if they hadn't also pulled a silverback elder which i'm loving glad is a mythic

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

thespaceinvader posted:

I'd dearly love it if there was an unranked bo1 draft queue tbh. It bugs me that if you wanna do Bo1 draft it HAS to be ranked, and you have to progress, because my progress always slows markedly when I hit plat. Which irritates me because my main hope in any set is to do a draft a day, for as long as I can, and that period is shorter and shorter it seems sometimes. Especially on a super short set like this one where I have to stop paying gems very early or i miss the next mastery pass.

I'd expect spoilers to start next week for minimal bits, then in earnest the week after?

We already have a couple of spoilers for some key set mechanics, specifically Meld and Unearth, along with a couple of mythics.

Do you give a poo poo about your collection? You could just make multiple account and use free gold to draft in Bronze/Silver if you don't

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Murmur Twin posted:

Haha yeah, as much as I wish I could say I consistently peel off that many games in a row when I play, that video was definitely an outlier. I was playing it and doing pretty good so I figured I would record a few games to show how fast the deck could be, and then I just kept winning - by the time I decided to stop recording I was like "what the hell was that?!?" lol

Sadly, a big factor of it was that I was playing in Platinum - poo poo gets a lot harder when the opponents decks are fine-tuned and well-piloted. That said, I enjoy a good challenge.

Anyways!

Here is a link to the untapped.gg page for the deck (I think? I'm still new-ish to having untapped, but I'm a huge fan). I ended the night right around Mythic #700 - which is all fine and dandy but honestly I'm neither competitive nor good enough to maintain that so I'm not really paying attention to it outside of as a progress gauge.

OK so funny story :ohdearsass:

I got to Mythic with Naya Domain and, as expected, found it a lot harder to win there than I did in Platinum. I still had a decent winrate, but found myself falling behind against tempo decks and stalling out against control decks too often to feel good about it. I was tweaking out cards here and there trying to fix those holes, and realized:

- Angelfire Ignition is bad, this deck has too many 3-drops and it's just another spell that can be fizzled by removal/bounce in response
- Fight Rigging is also bad, if you don't have a Gaea's Might or Weatherseed Treaty it doesn't really do anything
- Tamiyo's Safekeeping, on the other hand, is the perfect solution to a lot of the problems with the deck (especially the Wandering Emporer, fizzling an exile is an absolute beating)
- The deck doesn't need 4x of Greenwidow or Fable, they're not really good in multiples - 3 of each is fine
- Fleetfoot Dancer is a great fit in this deck, especially against red decks that formerly were a problem

So I landed on this build:

In one game, I realized that I might be able to get the nuts (turn 1 triome, turn 2 brawler, turn 3 might > twinferno > attack for 20) and thought it'd be funny to clip, so I hit record. And then I decided to let it run until I lost, and once again I went on a tear, except this time against tougher opposition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN41Nt5rNrw

The deck is 20-5, taking me from Mythic high-90-perfects to Mythic #230 since making those tweaks. Safekeeping is so so good - it basically cancels out any card that wrecks us (removal/bounce in response to Gaea's Might/Twinerno, certain wrath effects like Depopulate/Burn Down the House, or even just helping win combat).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was just thinking about how often I've been blown out by removal on my Angelfire target... thank you for continuing to do R&D lol

The thing that I was often reliant on Angelfire for was the lifelink to keep me afloat against red decks but Fleetfoot looks like it fills that gap pretty well, the lifegain from Safekeeping too

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 16, 2022

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Murmur Twin posted:

OK so funny story :ohdearsass:

I got to Mythic with Naya Domain and, as expected, found it a lot harder to win there than I did in Platinum. I still had a decent winrate, but found myself falling behind against tempo decks and stalling out against control decks too often to feel good about it. I was tweaking out cards here and there trying to fix those holes, and realized:

- Angelfire Ignition is bad, this deck has too many 3-drops and it's just another spell that can be fizzled by removal/bounce in response
- Fight Rigging is also bad, if you don't have a Gaea's Might or Weatherseed Treaty it doesn't really do anything
- Tamiyo's Safekeeping, on the other hand, is the perfect solution to a lot of the problems with the deck (especially the Wandering Emporer, fizzling an exile is an absolute beating)
- The deck doesn't need 4x of Greenwidow or Fable, they're not really good in multiples - 3 of each is fine
- Fleetfoot Dancer is a great fit in this deck, especially against red decks that formerly were a problem

So I landed on this build:

In one game, I realized that I might be able to get the nuts (turn 1 triome, turn 2 brawler, turn 3 might > twinferno > attack for 20) and thought it'd be funny to clip, so I hit record. And then I decided to let it run until I lost, and once again I went on a tear, except this time against tougher opposition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xN41Nt5rNrw

The deck is 20-5, taking me from Mythic high-90-perfects to Mythic #230 since making those tweaks. Safekeeping is so so good - it basically cancels out any card that wrecks us (removal/bounce in response to Gaea's Might/Twinerno, certain wrath effects like Depopulate/Burn Down the House, or even just helping win combat).

I've been vaguely playing with a variant that only runs basic forests and triomes (so basically "what if mono green but with brawler/might/greenwidow") that feels quite strong but can lose to its own tapped lands in places. 4 additional colours for sideboard cards is nice too.

Gonna try out this new version though - fleetfoot seems like a fun include, angelfire in the board vs red seems reasonable and you've already noted that Tamiyo's safekeeping is great.

What is the meta like at the moment for sideboarding reasons? I don't much like best of one and hints would be appreciated.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

Do you give a poo poo about your collection? You could just make multiple account and use free gold to draft in Bronze/Silver if you don't

I do, that's the main reason I don't bother with that.

But on the other hand, I give a poo poo about it mostly because of the times when I can't draft.

On the gripping hand, I already spend too long every day maintaining one magic account, elt alone if i needed to do four wins a day 3 times.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol, spent most of the day bouncing between 1 and 2 wins away from ranking up into diamond, it got pretty frustrating.

Then to close out the evening and finish dailies i went 2-5 and lost almost an entire rank so I guess I don't have to be frustrated by that anymore lol. Only two of those games were tilt losses lol, it also seemed like i hit a bad run of opening draws that I would have to mull to 6 or even 5 which was like might as well concede

Like this is a snap mulligan right?

(I guess you could keep it based on T2 Binding? I won this one after mulling but still)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
one last trophy (7-2) for the dom u alchemy road, since i wanted to do one more after that sheoldred draft i posted about upthread before it went away entirely

wish i could really say there were much standouts. manabase sucked but people were bad at trading favorably the entire run + somehow everyone had the removal for my enchantment removal

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

dmu is a really fun limited format, and the alchemy set is just plain worse. some of these bombs are hosed up

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Calibanibal posted:

dmu is a really fun limited format, and the alchemy set is just plain worse. some of these bombs are hosed up

the alchemy draft felt like a lot less people were making the defender deck, which is what made me so tired of dmu proper. either way though it's going away in like half a day so i figured i'd attempt it one last time before i went to bed

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sometimes you just cast SIlverback Elder turn 5 and gain literally 30+ life off it and your opponent resigns.

Holy poo poo that match was close.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

god the domain deck is starting to run like rear end for me now, i know it's selection bias but it feels like i'm constantly getting 5 triome 2 pump spell hands or this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

god the domain deck is starting to run like rear end for me now, i know it's selection bias but it feels like i'm constantly getting 5 triome 2 pump spell hands or this

I have not played the domain deck so mea culpa but when I saw it yesterday it looked like it had a loooot of basics for a three-color deck.