Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Welp the Braves finally ran out of fumes, this sorta crash has been coming and I’m amazed it took this long. Fun that they overhauled and doomed the Mets, but just as clearly the Mets doomed the Braves by making them go so far into the red for the division race. Hard to complain otherwise, Phillies always play the Braves tough and were obviously better this series.

Team should be still pretty solid next year, and maybe properly rested. Keep Dansby (or snag an upgrade), get a real left fielder, and do the usual pitching carousel. Also the best time to ditch the name and the chop was yesterday but today or even tomorrow will do just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

just become the Atlanta Brave. use firefighters and poo poo as your mascots

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

They should just be the barves instead of the chop they can make barving noises.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

elentar posted:

Welp the Braves finally ran out of fumes, this sorta crash has been coming and I’m amazed it took this long. Fun that they overhauled and doomed the Mets, but just as clearly the Mets doomed the Braves by making them go so far into the red for the division race. Hard to complain otherwise, Phillies always play the Braves tough and were obviously better this series.

Team should be still pretty solid next year, and maybe properly rested. Keep Dansby (or snag an upgrade), get a real left fielder, and do the usual pitching carousel. Also the best time to ditch the name and the chop was yesterday but today or even tomorrow will do just fine.

This is the second year in a row two 100+ win teams exhausted each other in a narrow division race and crapped out in the playoffs. They really should re-seed the playoffs based on win total.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LOL @ judge only getting 20% of this thread. You guys are dumb.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ judge only getting 20% of this thread. You guys are dumb.

no, and i must emphasize this point, u

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Actually mcmagic is right, Ohtani should be sitting at like 95%. I blame all you NL cowards.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
"No the guy worth 2 less wins is actually better"

- SAS

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm confused because Ohtani has 15 wins and Judge has 0??

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

mcmagic posted:

"No the guy worth 2 less wins is actually better"

- SAS

how much is the guy plus the extra roster spot worth though?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

ilmucche posted:

We had this argument before. The 27th man on the roster is likely worthless, typically literally a negative WAR player.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Not much, considering it's the Angels.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Not much, considering it's the Angels.

very fair point

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i enjoyed the 2022 seattle mariners and am looking forward to next season :unsmith:

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
goms o7

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Mr. Fix It posted:

i enjoyed the 2022 seattle mariners and am looking forward to next season :unsmith:

they seemed like a really fun team

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

ilmucche posted:

very fair point

truly the ferrari of mlb

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
man the M's are cool. Kirby and Castillo over the next several years is going to be scary as well

good series, closer than the sweep it ended up being

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
2022 Mariners season is over so here are some thoughts.

1. Julio Rodriguez is much better than I thought, and I thought I was being optimistic. Putting aside his weird start to the year he played at essentially MVP quality level (145-150+ wRC+ and average fielding in CF). Even if he just plays at that level for the next few years he's a legitimate franchise cornerstone player and the best to wear a Mariners uniform since A-Rod left.

2. The starting rotation is covered. Logan Gilbert made a big step forward in year 2, George Kirby's already the 2nd best starter on the roster and the gap between him and Luis Castillo isn't very large. Robbie Ray kind of is what he is but if he's the 4th starter in a rotation you're probably doing okay.

3. The rest of the lineup is up and down. Suarez solves the 3B question for probably the next year or two, and Ty France is solidifying himself as a good, not great, player. JP Crawford on the other hand took a big step back and has serious work to do with his swing to remain an MLB starter on a team with a responsibility to try and win the AL West every year for the next 4-5 starting next season. Jesse Winker looked like he had zero power all year and is dealing with a disk injury so who knows what to expect from him.

4. Jarred Kelenic looked like rear end to start the year at the plate but during his time back up at the tailend of the season he demonstrated a pretty positive process and is a legitimately great corner OF. I think that if he isn’t traded he’s probably on the team next year and they give the Kelenic in RF hope a shot again for a bit.

There are some departures looming (Adam Frazier, Mitch Haniger) but neither’s performance merits bringing them back. Look for the Mariners to be buyers in free agency and at the deadline for a middle infielder, a corner OF bat, and a mostly DH-sometimes infielder.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Is Kyle Lewis cooked/busting or was this just a down year after an injury?

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Man I was expecting to be crushed if we lost tonight but I'm mostly just feeling relieved right now lmao. The stress of this series is over and I can just be excited about what a great season the M's are gonna have next year!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

Is Kyle Lewis cooked/busting or was this just a down year after an injury?

Cooked and is also at odds with the organization, I'd be surprised if he ever plays again for the big league team.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mariners are officially the Astros little brother. We can gently caress with them all we want but we will mess you up if you gently caress with them.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Kirios posted:

Mariners are officially the Astros little brother. We can gently caress with them all we want but we will mess you up if you gently caress with them.

Would be great to beat the poo poo out of the Astros for the next 4-5 years, we didn't get to enjoy them blatantly tanking and playing the worst baseball imaginable in the NL Central for the early 2010s.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Kirios posted:

This is very cringey.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Kyle Lewis suffered a pretty horrific knee injury when he was in the minors that still bothers him to this day, the fact he got ROTY is remarkable. Add in that with the really bad concussion he got on the HBP and it's hard seeing him being any sort of contributor.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Popete posted:

This is very cringey.

Are you going to tell me it's not on-brand?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

seiferguy posted:

Kyle Lewis suffered a pretty horrific knee injury when he was in the minors that still bothers him to this day, the fact he got ROTY is remarkable. Add in that with the really bad concussion he got on the HBP and it's hard seeing him being any sort of contributor.

It's not really either of those.

There's something up with the way he recovered from his meniscus injury in 2021, he can barely move and doesn't seem to realize that.

Rumors are he did not handle being sent back down well in August.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Would be great to beat the poo poo out of the Astros for the next 4-5 years, we didn't get to enjoy them blatantly tanking and playing the worst baseball imaginable in the NL Central for the early 2010s.

You definitely got to see them tanking they just weirdly had the M's number anyway

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Intruder posted:

You definitely got to see them tanking they just weirdly had the M's number anyway

I've excised as much of the 2013 and 2014 seasons as possible from my memory, sorry. Those years didn't happen.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kirios posted:

At least you already have the garbage cans to stuff your little brother into

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

I feel bad for the Mariners, but the Dodgers fans are gonna be PISSED when they get here 1/3 of the way through the winter.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I don't know how well it came across in the broadcast, but the Mariners crowd was awesome while at the game. Through 17 innings, it was rocking and 98% filled even then. Only problem was that Macklemore got to talk twice over the PA. But they were there and in it the whole time and it was a joy. Until the 18th.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Pungry posted:

I don't know how well it came across in the broadcast, but the Mariners crowd was awesome while at the game. Through 17 innings, it was rocking and 98% filled even then. Only problem was that Macklemore got to talk twice over the PA. But they were there and in it the whole time and it was a joy. Until the 18th.

they crowd was clearly pretty boss through the broadcast

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

every time I see a Dodgers season it's like “the team had three separate 28-game win streaks en route to a 137-25 season while the lineup did something that hasn't been done since ‘The Massacre Men’ of the 1886 Allentown Boatswains, as Los Angeles lost in the NLDS 3-1”

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

every time I see a Dodgers season it's like “the team had three separate 28-game win streaks en route to a 137-25 season while the lineup did something that hasn't been done since ‘The Massacre Men’ of the 1886 Allentown Boatswains, as Los Angeles lost in the NLDS 3-1”

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ammat The Ankh posted:

they should try winning 3 titles in 5 years IMO but not every team is built like that

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The Dodgers just Tungsten Arm it on a season level. Screw the small sample size Angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted: