Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

teen witch posted:

I am technically on a break from pushing buttons

Don’t break the oath break

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHbvNbJykp4&t=37s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoMIgth1OTs

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I have been thinking. Who does replace Alex in this space in terms of relevance? Has Tucker Carlson figured out how to make the Alex Jones formula work for a more mainstream audience or is is it going to be guys like Steven Crowder?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BigRed0427 posted:

So I have been thinking. Who does replace Alex in this space in terms of relevance? Has Tucker Carlson figured out how to make the Alex Jones formula work for a more mainstream audience or is is it going to be guys like Steven Crowder?

the newer stuff is less christian-conspiracy of fighting against people possessed by satan and more just straight up white nationalism/anti-LGBT, see the Proud Boys/Groypers

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jestery posted:

Oh poo poo , I got buttons

please, i beg you, try them on me. just a little press.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

buglord posted:

please, i beg you, try them on me. just a little press.

(may be :nws: for tiny cartoon nudity)

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm thinking that Alex is the last of the monolithic figures in this space, at least for a long while. We're likely to see a regression to the pre-InfoWars conspiracy space where there'll be lots of smaller grifters and true believers all working the same grift on the people who make up Alex's main audience. Somebody will eventually come along - Tucker's almost certainly going to make a play - but once the angry tomato man is gone that particular audience is probably going to drift towards dozens of smaller gurus with similar but competing takes on the InfoWars party line.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tucker Carlson is basically just InfoWars without screaming about Satan. Like the actual messages and ideas are indistinguishable.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grand Fromage posted:

Tucker Carlson is basically just InfoWars without screaming about Satan. Like the actual messages and ideas are indistinguishable.

Satan gives it that lovely tick that white nationalist have for crusades and fighting evil.

There will be a power struggle of the right pundits to take his place. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top of the nutjob poo poo

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Honestly Alex has been flailing for the past year or two because mainstream Republican politics now is just InfoWars. He isn't offering anything special anymore.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

BigRed0427 posted:

Joe Rogan will get crazier and crazier as he moves into the empty space ceded by Jones as he shrinks into the space of a dril tweet.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Are the mystical aspects and wider scale of AJ’s cosmology a sort of stronger drug for some people? Lots of people offer listeners/viewers the chance to believe than there is an epic struggle going on where the stakes are dire yet you can still participate without changing much of your daily life—you just need to keep watching, keep donating, keep buying these products. But while Jones and, say, Tucker both cast this ongoing battle as, effectively, the Unalloyed Good Guys of white Christian patriarchal authoritarianism* on one side and the Civilization-Destroying Forces of Sin on the other, Jones makes it clear that the latter are (sometimes knowingly!) following the orders of Actual Satan in a battle for the fate of the universe, while I don’t think Tucker has ever accused someone of being a demon non-metaphorically.

*they call it liberty, but you only have the freedom to do what you’re supposed to do anyway

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
The next Alex Jones is Alex Jones, until Alex Jones is dead.

My reason, is that Rush Limbaugh had clout, despite all the poo poo he did and all the contradictory actions he took that were against his broadcasted beliefs, until he died. When he died, as many observers have noted, his clout evaporated overnight.

I would argue the only republican/conservative/right-wing-nut to have clout post-mortem that isn't based on founding fathers retroscopism is Reagan, and that's because his conservative sainthood/deism was an active construction by the GOP.

Figureheads in republican/conservative/right-wing-nut media aren't so much replaceable, as they are seasonal and as whimsical as the weather. These days republican/conservative/right-wing-nut audience social circles aren't about following one person outside of major events, but taking tidbits from various republican/conservative/right-wing-nut media and treating such information as wide-ranged sourcing (as opposed to the incestual sourcing it is), and Jones will most likely find his rants used as source material for outrage against everyone who ain't them. The gravy train for Jones is most likely over, and he will never enjoy the relevance he once had, but until he dies he will not be irrelevant. However, unless something happens directly to make him exceedingly relevant, Jones is as much the chorus of voices as any of his audience, and someone else will take the primetime mantle of being the message bearer.

It's like Glenn Beck: He's no longer the "one guy" people go to for republican/conservative/right-wing-nut material, but he remains "another source" for occasional consumption if only for the sake of argument. Or Tomi Lahren, whose camera friendly composition carried her "what grinds my gears" punditry, but after her fall from Fox her recent media clips only surface during general outrage rather than specific current events. Or any number of republican/conservative/right-wing-nut media talking heads who made their money on recent event outrage and whose time has long passed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bootcha posted:

I would argue the only republican/conservative/right-wing-nut to have clout post-mortem that isn't based on founding fathers retroscopism is Reagan, and that's because his conservative sainthood/deism was an active construction by the GOP.

Also Reagan was an office holder which meant he and his party influenced actual laws and policies that people had/have to live with, rather than just being some guy yelling into the internet hole.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

Also Reagan was an office holder which meant he and his party influenced actual laws and policies that people had/have to live with, rather than just being some guy yelling into the internet hole.

I think the POTUS seat (or the attempt to hold it) helps, but isn't specifically a guarantee. The Bushes haven't received the same treatment, we saw the Cheneys fall from grace, no one looks at Nixon with any reverence, McCain is revered by more liberals than conservatives, and even arguably the last palatable "Republican" before Reagan was Eisenhower whose end-of-term warnings went completely unheeded.

No, I'd say unless the vast majority of the conservative base makes the concerted effort to deify a conservative persona after relevance and death, they will end up like Limbaugh.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BigRed0427 posted:

IMO It seems likely that there won't be a clear successor until the dust settles, and thats a long ways away. Also the clear successor will probably look very different than AJ - way more corporate, way angrier but more commercial.

Steven Crowder will absorb a lot of them at the beginning. He's certainly not above pandering to the conspiracy-theorist set, and he's an outed racist, and he'll see this as a way to get back at Sean Hannity for loving him over years ago.

can he hold them? :shrug: Crowder is a living poo poo-golem, but he's not the right kind of crazy to keep up the hate/grift like AJ can.

Tucker's 'just asking questions' schtick won't work well enough to entice the conspiracy theorist. That's AJ's specific toxic appeal - its not enough that the crisis actors are out there, but AJ wants to find them and murder them.

I'd assume the audience between Jorp and AJ is already 1-1, but I don't think Jorp is able to churn out enough content to keep the real rageaholics satisfied.

Wee Benny Shaps is out - pipsqueak voice and he's Jewish. AJs listener base has been huffing Elder Zion protocols since they were huffing leaded gasoline.

Charlie Kirk is too uncharismatic and unimaginative to get the larger Infowars base engaged.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I think it's potentially a bit of a (protracted) closed loop situation

Crowder, jorp, Rogan/shapiro won't fill the gap because they aren't selling what AJ was, uncut hate and protagonist syndrome

AJ was only able to gain his clout because he's A. unable to view himself as reaping, only sowing B.the justice system is slow AF

There is no immediate successor to Jones because only Jones had the potential to do what Jones did. Some one new may fill the gap, but a billion dollar settlement and precedent might disuede anyone smart enough to keep the grift up and anyone dumb enough will be seen as a false messiah and get slapped down socially and/or legally

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

BigRed0427 posted:

They will take his money, but Alex Jones will still be making shows even if it’s with borrowed equipment.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I can see Marjorie Taylor Greene becoming the next AJ.
She has the energy to be batshit constantly.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Madison Cawthorne has nothing to do, and has conspiracy bonafides. Namely getting railroaded for exposing the truth of GQP cocaine orgies.

If he did an ‘I met the Illuminati and they showed me all their plans’ bit, i think it would be fairly plausible.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

happyhippy posted:

I can see Marjorie Taylor Greene becoming the next AJ.
She has the energy to be batshit constantly.

She’s not nearly creative enough, and that’s saying something, because most rubbish AJ peddles is just regurgitating nazi dogwhistles. But I seriously think she’s too dumb to keep up.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

red19fire posted:

Madison Cawthorne has nothing to do...

You think he won't run again?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Outpost22 posted:

Campaign again, maybe. Run again…? Not so much.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

rotinaj posted:

:drat:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

red19fire posted:

Madison Cawthorne has nothing to do, and has conspiracy bonafides. Namely getting railroaded for exposing the truth of GQP cocaine orgies.

If he did an ‘I met the Illuminati and they showed me all their plans’ bit, i think it would be fairly plausible.

He's also disabled which I think will be a dealbreaker for a certain subset of AJ fans - the masculine violent power fantasy is way easier to sell coming from a big red man with a gruff voice and roid swelling than a twink in a wheelchair, no matter how fashy.

Like Alex Jones fully looks like he's capable of killing someone. Cawthorn lost a fistfight with a dead tree on video

Then there's the weird homoerotic pictures that came out of him which alienates a whole other section of AJ's audience.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

Oh. OH. I see what you did there.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

rotinaj posted:

Holy lol

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Outpost22 posted:

rotinaj is getting all the credit but I want to recognize this more subtle approach too

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

BigglesSWE posted:

I feel like Alex will make a cameo account at some point.

Or Onlyfans.

Send_Ninjas
Oct 10, 2006
I think whoever takes that space is hereto unknown. It'll be some tiktok upstart nobodies heard of.

AJ was basically stewed from birth by his John Birch parents and his undiagnosed mental health issues. Exacerbated by the fumes he inhaled under houses in his youth and the many probably CTE hits he took to the head.

There's nobody quite like that in the current landscape, not to the extent he is.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It’s hard for any successor to Jones to come around because if anybody really showed that they had the potential to be the next him, he would see them as a threat and try to turn his audience against them.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
every day counter terrorism taskforces uncover new scion Jones cells claiming everything in the physical world is a potemkin village.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

LifeSunDeath posted:

scion Jones cells claiming everything in the physical world is a potemkin village.

This just makes me think of HeLa cells loving up labs everywhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If there is someone out there who could fill his role I have no idea who it could be. None of the other right wing dipshits are any good. The other guys on InfoWars suck rear end and are just doing lame Jones impressions. Guys like Shapiro are whiny little twerps with negative charisma. Jones is nuts, but he is capable of being a compelling broadcaster. He's gone way off the deep end but when you hear his older shows you can pick up on a sort of humanity and humor and charisma he has that the other ones don't. If he were just starting out now I don't think he'd be successful, he's too far gone. He built an audience when he was more functional and they're just sticking with him. I dunno how many new people are coming to InfoWars.

2005 Alex seems like a weird friend of a friend who you enjoy hanging out with at a bar twice a year while he tells you about the different classifications of Draculas. Nobody wants to be within a thousand feet of Ben Shapiro or Owen or these other dipshits.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 16, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
typical jones enjoyer:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I think an important variable for "who replaces Alex Jones" is the fact that Alex, much like other right-wing conspiracists like Art Bell and Rush Limbaugh, had an insane amount of air time, and I think that carries an awful lot of weight in some subtle ways. Tucker Carlson definitely has pull and some obvious overlap in viewership with AJ's audience, but he's only actually on for an hour every weeknight, at a time when you might have something better to do. Alex Jones was on for up to four hours every weekDAY, during regular work hours, plus two hours on Sundays. The people with the wrong sort of conspiracy-minded brainworms are going to form a sort-of emotional attachment to the beet red alcoholic who's "just like them" and whom they spend half of their working hours with, versus the more obviously disconnected and very rich man in the suit on the TV for an hour every weeknight. There's kind of a clear winner between those two in the "I could have a beer with them" contest, and this matters to the insane viewership.

Anyone wanting to truly replace Alex is going to have put in some serious hours talking into people's ears for almost two dozen hours a week; that's the baseline for the amount of content conspiracists have been expecting for literal decades (Alex Jones' entire career plus those of his predecessors on the radio). As hosed-up as this is to say, as lovely as Alex Jones' empire is there was legitimate work and effort put into it on his part, and putting that much energy into something that insane requires a very specific combination of skills and brainworms.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Stoatbringer posted:

Or Onlyfans.
username AlexJonesEatsAss

just doing that with a different guest for every post

special PPV with Peter Thiel and Hulk Hogan

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 16, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

He's also disabled which I think will be a dealbreaker for a certain subset of AJ fans - the masculine violent power fantasy is way easier to sell coming from a big red man with a gruff voice and roid swelling than a twink in a wheelchair, no matter how fashy.

Like Alex Jones fully looks like he's capable of killing someone. Cawthorn lost a fistfight with a dead tree on video

Then there's the weird homoerotic pictures that came out of him which alienates a whole other section of AJ's audience.

But he's punching trees! Very manly!

Anyway I wasn't able to read all the posts ITT but there's a new episode of Opening Arguments, which I'm sure will explain exactly how hosed AJ is: https://openargs.com/oa639-alex-jones-owes-a-literal-billion-dollars/

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

username AlexJonesEatsAss

just doing that with a different guest for every post

special PPV with Peter Thiel and Hulk Hogan

I'm not sure I want to live in a world where Alex Jones has to do Squat Cobbler videos but with chili just so he can afford to eat cat food.

... Or maybe I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

univbee posted:

I think an important variable for "who replaces Alex Jones" is the fact that Alex, much like other right-wing conspiracists like Art Bell and Rush Limbaugh, had an insane amount of air time, and I think that carries an awful lot of weight in some subtle ways. Tucker Carlson definitely has pull and some obvious overlap in viewership with AJ's audience, but he's only actually on for an hour every weeknight, at a time when you might have something better to do. Alex Jones was on for up to four hours every weekDAY, during regular work hours, plus two hours on Sundays. The people with the wrong sort of conspiracy-minded brainworms are going to form a sort-of emotional attachment to the beet red alcoholic who's "just like them" and whom they spend half of their working hours with, versus the more obviously disconnected and very rich man in the suit on the TV for an hour every weeknight. There's kind of a clear winner between those two in the "I could have a beer with them" contest, and this matters to the insane viewership.

Anyone wanting to truly replace Alex is going to have put in some serious hours talking into people's ears for almost two dozen hours a week; that's the baseline for the amount of content conspiracists have been expecting for literal decades (Alex Jones' entire career plus those of his predecessors on the radio). As hosed-up as this is to say, as lovely as Alex Jones' empire is there was legitimate work and effort put into it on his part, and putting that much energy into something that insane requires a very specific combination of skills and brainworms.

Please, please, please don't tempt me with a future where Alex Jones' hole in the media stays empty. That sounds too much like a good time!

Of course if it does it'll probably be because the world has moved on and he's replaced by someone/something worse.