Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Welp. Initially missed this was having a beta, applied for it yesterday and managed to get in today, so I download and then when I got home from work I tried playing it. Couldn't detect my hardware setting so it auto set everything to low, which is annoying but okay. Got into the character creation and it was horrible, the character models were either blacked out, missing bits, or showing green skeleton meshes. Made the mistake of alt-tabbing out to see if there were any posts on Steam about this graphics issue only for my computer to freeze with the sound repeating on a note. Kind of sounded like my computer was going to die.

So as much as I wanted to try this out, especially to test out the Ogryn and see what kind of upgrade options they had, I don't think I will be able to. Maybe the final version will be better optimized and work on my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

A couple hours have pretty much confirmed my suspicions as far as replacing the ubersreik five (or four, doesn't matter) with generic nobodies and replacing fully handcrafted level scenarios with semi-random levels made of reusable pieces stapled together, all of which seem be "a dark room": a lot of personality and identity is missing.

i can't really argue with your other points but i keep seeing the missions be called random, and... are they??? i've ran all four a decent amount and their layouts seem reasonably memorable and the same every time, maybe my mind is blanking on the exact configuration of corridors between 'setpieces' (which is its own condemnation) but there's plenty of unique chunks

while personally the sense of scale and general atmosphere does a lot to make the dark industrial setting more interesting than it'd otherwise be, i def hope some of the unseen missions break the mold visually

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Edmond Dantes posted:

So, what happens when a psyker overheats?

Try it because it's awesome tentacles and whispers but eventually they explode and lose all health. You can pick them back up then.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Dang, just had a bug on smelter where the game wouldn't let us leave one of the elevators

We ran into that too, was a great group... RIP. Dogs kept warping through the walls attacking us.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

A couple hours have pretty much confirmed my suspicions as far as replacing the ubersreik five (or four, doesn't matter) with generic nobodies and replacing fully handcrafted level scenarios with semi-random levels made of reusable pieces stapled together, all of which seem be "a dark room": a lot of personality and identity is missing.

something that did surprise me is how much worse the controls feel compared to vermintide, as weapon swaps and blocks and so on are now full of weird delays that make basic actions feel unresponsive, and ordinary swing chains feel uncomfortably slow now. Maybe there's some nuance to this that makes it all make sense but technical performance too atrocious for anything to feel good right now. Meanwhile there's a lot of weird jank like getting hit through block or the zealot charge just clipping you through enemies and also being seemingly uncancellable, forcing you to move past where you want to be, so it's weird and clunky to use compared to SIR KRUBER.

Special enemy visibility is highly bad and I learned to just spam the ping button at everything to see which dark blob is the bad one. They're still going to have a lot of bullshit unavoidable damage like vt2, as I watched a charger spin 90 degrees twice on a dime mid-charge to hit a teammate who was around a corner, and saw the marauder equivalent doing the classic mid-swing skate to hit me after I had dodged out of range.

After every single mission I was given the exact same lovely pistol as a reward (sometimes 2 of the same lovely pistol!), nor have I seen a single other ranged weapon type in the store. I'm calling bullshit on this post's claim that they're launching with "70+" weapons. Basically everything about itemization, its baffling presentation and ??? stats, and the inclusion of gear score again is...yikes. Maybe my ranged weapon not killing basic enemies in multiple headshots or not killing specials from an entire magdump is working as designed and it's supposed to feel like dogshit, or maybe I just need more arbitrary number before it's allowed to feel good.

At least I didn't crash?

Yeah, that's about how I feel. A lot of it feels like several steps backward from Vermintide 2 and while I'm sure some of it will be fixed, other stuff is just unchangeable at this point like the custom characters vs the ubersreik 5. Vermintide 1 and 2 had a lot of poo poo going wrong at launch, some of it taking forever to get fixed and I bet that Darktide will be no exception.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dmboogie posted:

i can't really argue with your other points but i keep seeing the missions be called random, and... are they??? i've ran all four a decent amount and their layouts seem reasonably memorable and the same every time, maybe my mind is blanking on the exact configuration of corridors between 'setpieces' (which is its own condemnation) but there's plenty of unique chunks

while personally the sense of scale and general atmosphere does a lot to make the dark industrial setting more interesting than it'd otherwise be, i def hope some of the unseen missions break the mold visually

All the levels in the demo are handcrafted, the randomization is the mission modifiers. Lights Out is especially mean.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Played an all guard mission where I found out the chainsword is unlocked at level 19 and apparently isn't that good, from the people who had it.

Seems real deep into a 3 day beta, hope I can get there and find out myself.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

really hope the full release has significantly more variety in maps because these ones are already pretty boring and samey

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have to agree that the level design, in the three or four I've seen, is drably industrial and not at all interesting - I don't care if that's supposedly authentic to the hive, that's no excuse for making your fictional setting boring.

I really don't think I'm going to shoot brown men in a grey maze for 100 hours.

Edit - Like, look at the shotgun gif that keeps getting quoted. A metal catwalk with metal crates, all of it nearly black, fading into a purer black of shadow. The brightest thing is the las gun fire, which immediately works for identification, but it's not great to look at. This game could have been on a space hulk in a nebulae, with something like the aurora borealis visible through hull ruptures, windows, and observation decks.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 16, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

releasing a broken game with gently caress all content is pretty authentic to the imperium experience tho

and for real the music owns

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
If you guys don’t like drab space future corridors and industrial complexes you can always play drab medieval stone walls and castles.

I for one really like the look, am really impressed with the scenery so far, it’s really metal and the set piece big places look cool, my only real complaint is that it could use more light. I’m gonna go look at Vermintide and see what you guys are whining about it comparison.

I dunno I really thoroughly enjoyed the beta, very much looking forward to the release.

Also, it’s really not fair to compare this brand new starting point for a game than with a sequel that was fully fleshed out and developed completely and had its foundations set in stone, i imagine vermintide 1 had a slim beta as well with lots of missing variety. I think Darktide is an awesome start and in a year it will have tons of content and stuff you guys are looking for.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 16, 2022

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

If you guys don’t like drab space future corridors and industrial complexes you can always play drab medieval stone walls and castles.

I for one really like the look, am really impressed with the scenery so far, it’s really metal and the set piece big places look cool, my only real complaint is that it could use more light. I’m gonna go look at Vermintide and see what you guys are whining about it comparison.

I dunno I really thoroughly enjoyed the beta, very much looking forward to the release.

Also, it’s really not fair to compare this brand new starting point for a game than with a sequel that was fully fleshed out and developed completely and had its foundations set in stone, i imagine vermintide 1 had a slim beta as well with lots of missing variety. I think Darktide is an awesome start and in a year it will have tons of content and stuff you guys are looking for.

I presume based on the concept art all these missions are pretty much from the same section of the hive (two of them are dealing with the manufacturing of Leman Russes) and we're going to see a variety of stuff throughout.

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1565761739492401153

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1557079431105155072

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1555599826250776577

And here's one that we can compare directly to the version in the beta.

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1566863850917531652

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 16, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

I presume based on the concept art all these missions are pretty much from the same section of the hive and we're going to see a variety of stuff throughout.

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1565761739492401153

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1557079431105155072

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1555599826250776577

And here's one that we can compare directly to the version in the beta.

https://twitter.com/Darktide40K/status/1566863850917531652

WOOOOW see?! That looks awesome!

I’m genuinely curious to see what Watertown and throneside look like!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Grognan posted:

bonking armored dudes without helmets on the head with the ogryn club makes the best noise, and it oneshots them

The fact that his special attack with clubs is just pimp smacking enemies will probably never get old for me, also Fatshark better do a cosmetic set for Ogryn that is basically just Juggernaut

Also hopefully one of the objectives being killing weird cyborg Nurgle bugs is a sign we'll be getting some of the weirder Nurgle aligned critters in the full game or at least down the road in future updates/expansions

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I thought I saw the same mission starting piece on 3 different missions that led to different places but it's possible they were just so similar that I jumped to the wrong conclusion, because prerelease info made it sound like that's how levels were constructed. I hope I was mistaken, but the fact that this wasn't an obvious mistake to either me or my teammate doesn't imply great things about these environments. some of the rooms individually look great on a technical level but not as a distinct gameplay space you're meant to move through over and over.

Al-Saqr posted:

There's so much existing DNA here that a whole bunch of enemy and player animations are lifted entirely from VT2 lol, they did not somehow build this on a foundation of nothing

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 16, 2022

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It's even very blatantly the reason why Nurgle is the antagonist again

Would be funny if the work done doing the Ogryn for this game leads to them doing a playable Ogre for Vermintide 3

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I thought I saw the same mission starting piece on 3 different missions that led to different places but it's possible they were just so similar that I jumped to the wrong conclusion, because prerelease info made it sound like that's how levels were constructed. I hope I was mistaken, but the fact that this wasn't an obvious mistake to either me or my teammate doesn't imply great things about these environments. some of the rooms individually look great on a technical level but not as a distinct gameplay space you're meant to move through over and over.

There's so much existing DNA here that a whole bunch of enemy and player animations are lifted entirely from VT2 lol, they did not somehow build this on a foundation of nothing

The maps are pretty big with large zones that sprawl around widely with multiple paths to get to the same destination, kind of like The Pit from bogenhafen. You can take slightly different journeys from setpiece to setpiece but its the same map.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the regenerate 50% shield after a headpop on the psyker is *borat voice* very nice

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Cowcaster posted:

the regenerate 50% shield after a headpop on the psyker is *borat voice* very nice

Just wait til you get halfway dead as Ogryn/Zealot with the talent and stop taking damage at all

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm still not sure exactly what the "special ammo" on the shotgun does.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Floppychop posted:

I'm also not sure why the 'bayonet' on my SMG just turns a flashlight on but here we are.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Floppychop posted:

i think it loads an explosive shell? but it seems like you can do it whenever you want? no clue here either

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Pro tip: If you press reload then switch to a melee weapon, you will switch to the melee weapon immediately but with many guns the reload will still complete.

With guns where it doesn't complete, it seems to at least save the progress of your reload so if you swap to melee halfway through a reload then swap back to gun and press reload, the animation starts halfway through.

The first one was true in Vermintide but I don't remember the second one

I think this kind of works with the shotgun but only for one shell. But you can Melee Swing -> swap to shotgun -> shoot -> reload -> swap to melee -> repeat as a fluid repeating motion without waiting for the reload animation to finish. The same should work with the revolver I'd guess.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Oct 16, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Veteran specced for assault using a shotgun is badass, like an alternate version of the Zealot without the charge but a lot more range and snappiness since Volley Fire instantly pops up your shotty for a gently caress-you meatshot. The sword is also a nice surprise since I was expecting it to be meh in comparison to the shovel; however, since I don't particularly notice stronger armor penetration on the shovel, I gave the sword ago and was very impressed with how it just slices through crowds (fantastic melee feel and effects too), along with the first heavy being an overhead chop that seems to do actual AP damage.

If the shotgun somehow remains unnerfed to release, this is definitely going to be my build of choice.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The last room of Cooling Tower seems...overtuned.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I unlocked the shotgun.

I never want to use anything but the shotgun ever again.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

The initial 3 levels of VT2:

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah being able to be magically transported all over the old world meant you got a lot of variety in terms of environments compared to vt1

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

So for sharp shooter the 50% toughness on special kill isn't working but 20% back on weak point kill works and it counts for melee so just get headshots and you'll basically have infinite toughness. The lasguns are really loving weird like i went from a normal one to a krieg style one which does more damage but has lower RoF but it doesn't say that in the stats it literally changed the entire gun without letting me know. The lasgun special thing is also broken because its just a loving flash light instead of a bayonet attack. Explosive barrels continue to be the #1 source of damage so my job as sharp shooter is to detonate them before we reach them. Bombers can spawn above/below you and just throw endless grenades down at you leaving you to wonder where the gently caress its coming from.

Where is my dual las pistols and hip fire only bayonet lasgun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Man they better have more options for matchmaking in the final version cause this game really needs an option to restrict lobbies to one of a given class, having more than one Psyker on a team all but guarantees failure

Also the fact that you can't swap classes outside of reloading the whole drat game is just plain idiotic

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Man they better have more options for matchmaking in the final version cause this game really needs an option to restrict lobbies to one of a given class, having more than one Psyker on a team all but guarantees failure

Also the fact that you can't swap classes outside of reloading the whole drat game is just plain idiotic

Particularly when the lobby has a Ready button. It almost seems obvious that you should be able to sub in a class at that screen as a last minute adjustment to seeing your team composition.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Is there an idea on which weapons are class exclusive/generic? I thought all weapons were exclusive but turns out I guess you can share between a few of them like the shotgun. I assume the force staff would be psyker only and ogryn weapons too big for the rest of them.

Basically I was gonna go all in for Zealot at launch cause I figured the big gently caress off hammer was theirs alone, but if others can use it I gotta rethink my strategy.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

Is there an idea on which weapons are class exclusive/generic? I thought all weapons were exclusive but turns out I guess you can share between a few of them like the shotgun. I assume the force staff would be psyker only and ogryn weapons too big for the rest of them.

Basically I was gonna go all in for Zealot at launch cause I figured the big gently caress off hammer was theirs alone, but if others can use it I gotta rethink my strategy.

Counterpoint: Zealot owns.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

drrockso20 posted:

It's even very blatantly the reason why Nurgle is the antagonist again

The reason Nurgle is the antagonist in these games is that Khorne is way too one-note to be interesting in a game like this, Slaanesh is difficult to represent and marketing material full of titties is not ideal. Tzeentch would imply fighting mostly psykers and bird demons, which doesn't jive with the intended gameplay.

Genestealers would lack pretty much any variety, and most of the other xenos would lend themselves less to providing hordes that 4 humans could even remotely get through.

Nurgle has zombies for hordes, enough weird poo poo going on for interesting demons and mutations, and even lends himself to comic relief on occasion.

All that to say: Nurgle's embrace is inevitable.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Badly Jester posted:

The reason Nurgle is the antagonist in these games is that Khorne is way too one-note to be interesting in a game like this, Slaanesh is difficult to represent and marketing material full of titties is not ideal. Tzeentch would imply fighting mostly psykers and bird demons, which doesn't jive with the intended gameplay.

Genestealers would lack pretty much any variety, and most of the other xenos would lend themselves less to providing hordes that 4 humans could even remotely get through.

Nurgle has zombies for hordes, enough weird poo poo going on for interesting demons and mutations, and even lends himself to comic relief on occasion.

All that to say: Nurgle's embrace is inevitable.

One-or-two-ish-words:

Techno-skeletons.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

There's a tooltip showing you what weapons are exclusive when creating a character. IIRC it went like

Veteran: Shovels and plasma guns
Zealot: Flamers and power hammers
Psyker: Force staves and force swords
Ogryn: Grenadier gauntlets

Chances are there are more weapons that are exclusive (feels like just about every Ogryn one would have to be), but those seem to be basically the signature guns that don't have a direct analogue for other classes.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Perestroika posted:

There's a tooltip showing you what weapons are exclusive when creating a character. IIRC it went like

Veteran: Shovels and plasma guns
Zealot: Flamers and power hammers
Psyker: Force staves and force swords
Ogryn: Grenadier gauntlets

Chances are there are more weapons that are exclusive (feels like just about every Ogryn one would have to be), but those seem to be basically the signature guns that don't have a direct analogue for other classes.

Ok that works for me, thanks for the info!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

anyone know when the beta cuts off?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

No sadly, I hope it’s at midnight GMT, I would love to put in a few more games when I get home from work.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Al-Saqr posted:

No sadly, I hope it’s at midnight GMT, I would love to put in a few more games when I get home from work.

October 17, 2022 9:00 AM

Dunno if that is GMT or BST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

fatelvis posted:

October 17, 2022 9:00 AM

Dunno if that is GMT or BST.

Awesome gonna put in some good gaming time tonight :nurgle: