Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Angepain posted:

https://twitter.com/rainbowgreens/status/1581674500050952192

https://twitter.com/rebelraising/status/1581674406690328576

largely a symbolic thing as they're two independent parties already but this is still a suspension of one of the few ties left between the two

This is great news. The E&W Greens are better than labour but they still permit a minority to spout bigotry under the guise of 'discussion'. Hopefully this is the kick of the bum they need to finally purge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, unlike Erdogan, at least the wider party actually listened and forced her to pull back on all that poo poo. Truss's new economic policy lasted, like, a week?

the "facts are just doomerism" crowd is still there and being Editor of the Sunday Telegraph... Hunt's direction remains to be seen

CON analysts are fully aware that they need to balance the books of new growth targets and costly crisis subsidies by discarding the triple lock, which attacks their core constituency. This may not be a big deal in a GE (what are they going to do, vote Labour?) but is in a intra-CON fight. The knives being out for Truss only makes that problem thornier. Hence all the indulgence of fantasists previously stewing in Brexit

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Do they hire a posher class of peon for the posh shop?

It's funny I've never actually seen a waitrose, or a john lewis, they're just not up here I think. I've seen a booths at the lake district once and that was fab, lovely deli counter and bakery, and a machine what for you can watch it torment real oranges to make you a bottle of juice.

E; according to the map there is a john lewis in leeds and in newcastle, and a builder's merchant of the same name in northallerton which is closest to me, and if I want a waitrose it's either newcastle, york, or harrogate.

We do have a parfett's cash and carry though.

Oh hey neighbour. There's a Booths in Ripon too. It's nice but eye wateringly expensive even by the Australian supermarket standards that I'm used to. Apparently they've built a new M&S here too since I moved abroad but yet to find it. Not sure how a town this size can support both a Booths and large M&S with the economy in the shitter. Booths was pretty deserted the other day but Aldi was packed.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Do they hire a posher class of peon for the posh shop?

It's funny I've never actually seen a waitrose, or a john lewis, they're just not up here I think. I've seen a booths at the lake district once and that was fab, lovely deli counter and bakery, and a machine what for you can watch it torment real oranges to make you a bottle of juice.

Booths is Northern Waitrose yes, they've basically got England divvied up between them with a demilitarised zone somewhere around the Midlands.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

ronya posted:

CON analysts are fully aware that they need to balance the books of new growth targets and costly crisis subsidies by discarding the triple lock, which attacks their core constituency. This may not be a big deal in a GE (what are they going to do, vote Labour?) but is in a intra-CON fight.

Those Red Wall pensioners actually might.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah north yorkshire is weird like that, big mix of mega poshos and dirt poor. Think it's popular for people to retire to and all the escape to the country types like it. Can't blame em, it is lovely country, but yeah it makes for some weird stuff.

Lewis and cooper in northallerton has a bunch of nice cheese and meats and stuff, and weird packaged goods. And you can visit the electronics shop that rishi pretended was a pub.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mega Comrade posted:

This is great news. The E&W Greens are better than labour but they still permit a minority to spout bigotry under the guise of 'discussion'. Hopefully this is the kick of the bum they need to finally purge.

I mean, now that a large number of their critics just split off to form their own party, I'd expect the transphobes to have more power in the E&W Greens now, not less.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Gort posted:

I mean, now that a large number of their critics just split off to form their own party, I'd expect the transphobes to have more power in the E&W Greens now, not less.

If you mean the Scottish Greens then they didn't just split off, they've been separate parties since 1990. This is just suspending one of the few ties they had remaining, something to do with allowing E&W members to attend conference in a non-voting capacity - it's largely a symbolic gesture.

feedmegin posted:

Booths is Northern Waitrose yes, they've basically got England divvied up between them with a demilitarised zone somewhere around the Midlands.

Booths is in a poor tactical position then, surrounded on both sides due to the Scottish waitroses. Actually apparently there's one at Gretna so they're right on the border. Sounds like justification for military action

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Booths is actually localised almost entirely to lancashire and the lakes, ripon is the easternmost outlier but there's none on the actual east coast.

E: except for, funnily, another construction company also near me :v:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

Ah north yorkshire is weird like that, big mix of mega poshos and dirt poor. Think it's popular for people to retire to and all the escape to the country types like it. Can't blame em, it is lovely country, but yeah it makes for some weird stuff.

Lewis and cooper in northallerton has a bunch of nice cheese and meats and stuff, and weird packaged goods. And you can visit the electronics shop that rishi pretended was a pub.

i’ve been told that lots of southerners sold up during the previous house price boom and moved up when house prices were much smaller, doing the whole FIRE thing several decades earlier

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

new chancellor who dis?

new thread title please

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's the thing I've mentioned before about high house prices, people say that it doesn't actually benefit the homeowners because they can't cash out, but the thing is you can cash out if you aren't tied to a specific location, because you can sell up, move somewhere cheaper or where the economy is even more dead (like the north) and get a small fortune in your back pocket and still own a really nice house because a 20-30% differential between areas (or higher if you're moving out of london) is still a massive pile of money when the prices are so high.

And while I might be an exceptionally dull person there is genuinely nowhere else I would rather live than here, I know you often grow to love where you live but it is an extraordinarily beautiful place.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

That's Glinner in the tunnel.

That's a different version of REM's " Losing My Religion. "

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Angepain posted:

https://twitter.com/rainbowgreens/status/1581674500050952192

https://twitter.com/rebelraising/status/1581674406690328576

largely a symbolic thing as they're two independent parties already but this is still a suspension of one of the few ties left between the two

Good, although I feel bad as always for the trans peeps in the Green Party. As I've said before it's a generational thing where the young are leftists and the old are eco-fascists.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah that's the thing I've mentioned before about high house prices, people say that it doesn't actually benefit the homeowners because they can't cash out, but the thing is you can cash out if you aren't tied to a specific location, because you can sell up, move somewhere cheaper or where the economy is even more dead (like the north) and get a small fortune in your back pocket and still own a really nice house because a 20-30% differential between areas (or higher if you're moving out of london) is still a massive pile of money when the prices are so high.
The problem is that this isn't really possible anywhere else in the country except moving away from London. When we were looking at places in Oxfordshire, anywhere under 220k disappeared from the market instantly, and reappeared a few months later with 10k of cosmetic redecoration listed at 260k, which very swiftly became the national average when they relaxed stamp duty.

Now, even places like liverpool are shooting above 200k because of tiktok landlords who only understand Britain as a monoculture, and will happily pay dipshit prices because they know they can make it back in 5 or 10 years by driving rents up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Spins the wheel of low-effort dystopia

Bobby Deluxe posted:

tiktok landlords

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1581702669663891458?t=b-TZ4qoZK4RSVrcls6J-Gw&s=19

Looks like some coordinated letters coming out saying Liz should go tonight.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

And while I might be an exceptionally dull person there is genuinely nowhere else I would rather live than here, I know you often grow to love where you live but it is an extraordinarily beautiful place.

Yeah I have to say I am seeing North Yorks in a very different light now relative to when I left at 18. Couldn't wait to leave then and now I'm back for a few months showing my Australian born toddler around the beautiful places I took for granted when I was a kid. Honestly really enjoying it.

Everywhere is great when you're effectively on holiday though. Living and working here again would be a whole different proposition. Partner is definitely keen to move back to the UK properly but she really isn't fully aware of how bad things are getting. Aus has some pretty serious issues too but the UK is far more bleak.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Less on fire though, and also you don't have to constantly check for deadly wildlife.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Imagining Steve Irwin with his foot on the neck of a chav going "Croikey, look at this angry lil fella go!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sorry yes I should amend that to deadly wildlife living inside your shoes, at least.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Beefeater1980 posted:

There is actually some consistency - although not really fairness - here. The sane conservative objection to the Corbyn government I along with most of this thread voted for was that it would result in exactly this collapse in market confidence. It’s the real-world reason to fear a radical government, because it will inevitably involve a substantial amount of misery for everyone in the short term. It’s a legitimate concern.

I don’t think any of the “sensible” Tories expected that the radical government that tanked the economy would have been them. Fuckers. But if there is a straw of hope in all of this, it is that whatever situation we land in after this will be about the same as after a radical left wing budget.

I'd venture that a radical left wing budget would have less of an effect on the market because every Labour manifesto since 2017 has been fully costed and people like John McDonnell have spent a lot of time wargaming various events of this nature, so they actually know how to deal with them. Unfairly as you say, conservatives always get a free pass on economic matters and that's led to complacency over time. It was inevitable they'd one day trip over their own dick, then have no idea how to get out of the gutter.

ronya posted:

CON analysts are fully aware that they need to balance the books of new growth targets and costly crisis subsidies by discarding the triple lock, which attacks their core constituency.
If the whole Naomi Klein "When the crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around" thing is to be believed, now would be a good time for a credible opposition to start turning out some really awkward ideas for the conservatives, for example contrasting the different attitudes on means-testing and inflation when it comes to pensions and universal credit. Like say arguing that we need to means test state pensions of the wealthiest so we can maintain a triple lock for pensioners who have no other source of wealth. It's weird how people treat state pensions as a personal entitlement earned by virtue of their own hard work, when it's just another benefit from the state.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

serious gaylord posted:

https://twitter.com/johnestevens/status/1581702669663891458?t=b-TZ4qoZK4RSVrcls6J-Gw&s=19

Looks like some coordinated letters coming out saying Liz should go tonight.

https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1581352682979479552

lmao

I hope she's PM for long enough to do PMQs on Wednesday

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 16, 2022

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

fuctifino posted:

lmao

Labour tabling a confidence vote would be a huge misstep unless they can guarantee Tories will vote against their leader. If the usual Tory self-preservation kicks in it'll give Truss an easy pass to rally support around her.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

fuctifino posted:

lmao

If Keith was cool he would ask his first question and after Truss answers he gets up, points at oval office and says "I was hoping the real PM would answer".

The Guardian and Twitter would love it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

notaspy posted:

If Keith was cool [...] The Guardian and Twitter would love it.

I'll take "things not very likely to happen" for 10

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then he puts on his sunglasses and does a sick ollie onto the central table and skates into a cyclist.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

EvilHawk posted:

Labour tabling a confidence vote would be a huge misstep unless they can guarantee Tories will vote against their leader. If the usual Tory self-preservation kicks in it'll give Truss an easy pass to rally support around her.

Would it be a huge misstep for all of the Tories to be shown to support their hugely unpopular leader? Pretty easy to campaign against someone when you can say “this bastard voted to keep Liz Truss”

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ah wow... an unexpected "they all look the same" fuckup

https://twitter.com/AlStewartOBE/status/1581416990098345984

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Now, even places like liverpool are shooting above 200k because of tiktok landlords who only understand Britain as a monoculture, and will happily pay dipshit prices because they know they can make it back in 5 or 10 years by driving rents up.

Dabbing on the haters when they complain that their heating isn't working properly.

Rent deposits to be made out to YeeLord69 in DogeCoin.

I will enter the apartment without any further announcement on my hoverboard.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

fuctifino posted:

Ah wow... an unexpected "they all look the same" fuckup

https://twitter.com/AlStewartOBE/status/1581416990098345984
Why William Hauge though?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Gort posted:

What? Scottish greens have been separate for years. This is just a further tie that they are severing.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I''m going in to interview/meet citizens advice this week. I thought about it before but it wasn't really doable with my schedule, but I'm free now and looking over the training and stuff they provide on top of the volunteering it seems like an extremely good idea. Do any of you volunteer with them? I'm going in anyway and I'm going to commit to the 8 hours they're looking for, at least, for a good while and see where it leads but I'm just curious if anybody has any insights or opinions on it who has done/is doing it.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

Nah. Totally politically crippled, least popular politician in history Liz Truss zombie shuffling to the next election is the ideal scenario for Labour. The Tories installing Sunak at least gives them a slim (and it is slim, I think, despite the general idiocy of the English electorate) chance of not losing too terribly in 2024. If Truss is still PM, though, it's almost certainly a '97 style landslide.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I still think there's a chance she'll pull a tantrum and try to force a GE.

She's spent the weekend holed up in Chequers, cutting more and more people out of her life with each change of her telephone number, and she feels really really bitter. Nobody stood up for her like they did with Boris, and he stole far more public money than was lost with her poo poo budget, yet they applauded his exit. The media didn't give her an easy time, and she feels really poo poo, lonely and isolated.

On top of all of this, all of Boris's things will still be at Chequers if he's not even there in person (is he still in NY?), as he's still squatting the mansion for some reason.

One way to get out of PMQs on Wednesday is to drive to Buckingham Palace just beforehand and dissolve parliament. "Ha! That'll show them!"....

I know this is mostly wishful thinking, but I'm praying to the cat gods that she's as bitter and vindictive as I think she is. lol

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

roomtone posted:

citizens advice

my MiL has worked in a central London branch for like 20 years and the current view is that while the work is valuable, it's not reaching enough people fast enough because it's hampered incessantly by insane amounts of internal bureaucracy

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

some steel wool stuffed into the foam will make it a lot stronger and stop rodents eating it like it was cake too

Posting to confirm, lived in a port city in a basement

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Keith did a Keith

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1581752508094984198

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

kecske posted:

my MiL has worked in a central London branch for like 20 years and the current view is that while the work is valuable, it's not reaching enough people fast enough because it's hampered incessantly by insane amounts of internal bureaucracy
I used to volunteer for them, doing data entry work.

They had me manually copying and retyping client records from one database to another, one at a time. It was insane and I was very quick to point out the obvious potential for mistakes to creep in and cause records to get lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Presumption of innocence does not apply to certain groups. Apparently. The wisdom of JKR.

https://twitter.com/redlianak/status/1581385256631816193

:byodame: