Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

landgrabber posted:

ending on V gets tiring each time imo… i only like to invoke a cadence if i’m actually ending the section

That's what the V7's for ya goof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's what the V7's for ya goof.

yeah it just doesn't always fit the vibe i'm going for.

like if i'm being all melancholic and moody in a major key, V7 always sounds a little too old timey to me. it feels really beatle-y to me.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

The ultimate 90s punk vocal goddess- Cinder from the band Tilt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnL6M8kCQ18
Literally a Top 3 for me on both Lookout! and Fat

still listening to this btw, it's so good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How I've written every melody I've ever made: sit with a guitar not plugged in an watch TV, noodle. When something clicks I mute the TV and record. Turn brain back off and continue noodling

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

How I've written every melody I've ever made: sit with a guitar not plugged in an watch TV, noodle. When something clicks I mute the TV and record. Turn brain back off and continue noodling

me riffing into interface, attempting to watch singer with headphones face for approval: this is good right? please tell me i'm cooking. i need this

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

There’s an Ed Sheeran interview where he goes “did you know every pop song is just three chords?” and so the interviewer gives him random songs and he just sings them over I IV V or some poo poo. And it sounds awful and butchers the songs but the audience is like wowow songwriting secret. One weird trick they don’t want you to know. And it’s like no, gently caress you, every pop song can be three chords if you reduce them of any harmonic complexity and just sing the melody while playing bonehead acoustic strums like a twat, but that’s not the actual song. Even your own songs are more complex than that and you know it. gently caress Ed Sheeran and his dumb “well gee shucks I’m just a simple down to earth songwritin lad” poo poo. gently caress the low key pretentiousness of turning up to award shows in bad fitting jeans and a hoodie I hate him so much.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Oct 16, 2022

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

landgrabber posted:

please note that i am not actually that smart, i just say poo poo i think is probably true and then sometimes i’m right and sometimes everybody laughs at me because i’m wrong. for all i know, the chord inversions i just wrote there are difficult to write without introducing voice leading problems.

i tried it with arpeggios, sounds pretty good. https://voca.ro/1el8GjFy9CwL

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

massive spider posted:

There’s an Ed Sheeran interview where he goes “did you know every pop song is just three chords?” and so the interviewer gives him random songs and he just sings them over I IV V or some poo poo. And it sounds awful and butchers the songs but the audience is like wowow songwriting secret. One weird trick they don’t want you to know. And it’s like no, gently caress you, every pop song can be three chords if you reduce them of any harmonic complexity and just sing the melody while playing bonehead acoustic strums like a twat, but that’s not the actual song. Even your own songs are more complex than that and you know it. gently caress Ed Sheeran and his dumb “well gee shucks I’m just a simple down to earth songwritin lad” poo poo. gently caress the low key pretentiousness of turning up to award shows in bad fitting jeans and a hoodie I hate him so much.

yeah that's very gross douchebagism and very insulting to the people who wrote the songs

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
drat, those committees must be so dejected at being insulted like that

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Spanish Manlove posted:

drat, those committees must be so dejected at being insulted like that

fair play, as i do not know what songs he did that to. but can you not see the principle... i mean if you were oh idk, to pull an example out of my rear end, Stephen Stills, and someone played "suite: judy blue eyes" this way, wouldn't you be at least a bit displeased at them claiming their interpretation did the song any justice, knowing 99% of the song's content wasn't being represented?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

chords are the biggest boogeyman in music because people fixate on them so much but really what most people hear when they listen to a song is melody anyway.

it’s just easier to learn about chords and progressions than it is counterpoint, so a lot of people end up having a more sophisticated understanding of chords but just faking melody, because it’s kind of hard to learn about in any conscious way without running into Fux

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fux was also all about harmonic structure, it was kind of the basis of all of the later species of counterpoint.

edit it's also important to remember that Fux wasn't writing about 20th and 21st century pop music, he was writing and defining rules for a very narrow subset of western music from a very narrow time period. It's important foundational stuff and it can definitely inform melody writing, and I think it's fun to throw in some traditional fifth-species counterpoint as a little bridge in a song but Fux wasn't talking about the kind of music we're almost always talking about.

This isn't necessarily aimed at you LG, I just know a lot of the times when people start digging into Fux and his counterpoint they also tend to be too rigid with his rules

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 16, 2022

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Baron von Eevl posted:

Fux was also all about harmonic structure, it was kind of the basis of all of the later species of counterpoint.

edit it's also important to remember that Fux wasn't writing about 20th and 21st century pop music, he was writing and defining rules for a very narrow subset of western music from a very narrow time period. It's important foundational stuff and it can definitely inform melody writing, and I think it's fun to throw in some traditional fifth-species counterpoint as a little bridge in a song but Fux wasn't talking about the kind of music we're almost always talking about.

This isn't necessarily aimed at you LG, I just know a lot of the times when people start digging into Fux and his counterpoint they also tend to be too rigid with his rules

i think it’s important because what is counterpoint? ultimately it’s about writing two lines that sound good both separately and together. which is really useful for making a good, catchy vocal melody— one that can stand apart from the chords, and evoke the song to other people when it’s hummed.

in essence, that’s what all the great pop melodists were good at, regardless of how studied they were.

in pop and rock, “instinct” is just praised, or learning things subconsciously, just by doing it. i don’t learn very well that way.

so i’d rather take some notes on a textbook, work through some exercises, and understand it consciously as it sinks in, and have that skill in a couple weeks, rather than sit around noodling in the major scale for years until my hands start to pick up what sounds right. i got songs i want to write before i get too old/finish puberty 2 and don’t feel anything anymore.

i love a lot of punk music. i don’t even like that much orchestrated music. but i find that studying formalistic practices actually just makes writing the poo poo i really like much easier. if you think about like, so many punk songs, it’s eighth note power chords on a guitar, underneath the melody that’s mostly quarters, or based around that unit. that’s just second species! or at least it’s really similar.

i also don’t really vibe with the general fixation on style that people have. when you get down to the basic mechanics of music, they’re everywhere and it doesn’t really matter what type of music you’re working on. it’s just often taught in the context of classical music.

at least to me, i prefer just knowing about every compositional device i can, and how to use it, and what it sounds like… that way i can use whatever i want and be free of the psychic baggage of associating it with a specific style.

that’s why i’m so into theory and consciously studying this stuff, until it becomes readily accessible to me while writing. because if you only learn by listening to music, you’re both limited by what everyone is already doing, and what you’re capable of subconsciously perceiving.

my theory/comp instructor— who is not a traditionalist and in fact seems to like that i can’t resist writing tall chords into literally everything— made a good point that i agree with a lot. knowledge of theory allows you to write stuff that you wouldn’t otherwise, which prevents you from falling into the same rut over and over again.

a basic idea is like… here’s something that would work theoretically but that i haven’t heard in punk: what if when you had a bridge building up into the final chorus, that starts on the I chord, the bass guitar just played the dominant note for most of it? even as the guitars moved around above it? maybe, over the bass hitting the 5th degree, the guitar would start on a different chord. and it would slowly build in tension, until the guitar completes the upper structure of the V chord, and maybe then, adding the 7 on top, and depending on what fits the songs, either taking a hard rest for a measure, or jumping straight into the chorus. it would be like a pedal tone from all that bach organ music. but also it would be cool as hell. you just wouldn’t think to do that unless you’d read up on formalism a little bit— because let’s be real, no one’s listening to bach organ pieces in the car and stuff like that

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Same, but at the computer shitposting, and I transcribe it into GP for my record keeping instead of recording. I need to actually plug in and play more often. I let weird depression thoughts build up in my brain too much. "No, this is fine, it's effort to plug in. Plus what if it sounds like poo poo and I'm unhappy, I'll get more depressed", and so on.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i wish i could get off my rear end and make demos at night with D/I but having a guitar cable plugged into the interface is so cumbersome in itself in close quarters that i basically never do

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Another trick: never unplug anything and have stuff on command hooks instead of just laying around on the floor. Then you just have to plug in and play.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Spanish Manlove posted:

Another trick: never unplug anything and have stuff on command hooks instead of just laying around on the floor. Then you just have to plug in and play.

yeah but cables are like $50 and my audio interface doesn’t have enough jacks :p

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

yeah but cables are like $50 and my audio interface doesn’t have enough jacks :p

What kind of cables are you looking at? Because the ones that have good warranties* don't need to cost that much

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Classic-Instrument-Cable/dp/B0002GMGYK/

*I haven't had to do it for a while, but guitar center will no questions asked replace many brands of guitar cables

Double edit: this is the exact same cable I use for pretty much everything now and have been for at least five years:
https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Custom-Instrument-Cable/dp/B0002H02IG/

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

well, 10 months into this strat and my tastes have swing back to being interested in bright and jangly guitars. god loving drat it.

i will not do anything about it, however, because of priorities, but drat

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Gas. Gas never changes.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

landgrabber posted:

i wish i could get off my rear end and make demos at night with D/I but having a guitar cable plugged into the interface is so cumbersome in itself in close quarters that i basically never do

I bought a $40 wireless unit on Amazon that I use for this despite being probably less than 3 feet from my interface, because gently caress dealing with a cable when I barely have enough room to stand in front of my computer with a guitar in the first place, I don’t need to be tripping over a cable and pulling poo poo over. Sounds fine, especially for practice/noodling, and they’re barely more expensive than a nice cable anyway. I’ve been pretty impressed with that one, it can go much farther before dropping out than the 2.4ghz Joyo one I also have.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Upgraded my Fender Super Champ X2 to a Marshall DSL40C this weekend and I have never enjoyed putzing around with my guitars at home more than this. I got it used so I don't have the footswitch, but I do have a bunch of BOSS pedals. Is it worth getting the Marshall footswitch? What can I do with it other than just switching between clean and gain channels?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

envious, those marshalls are awesome

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sup everyone, you all can go ahead and sell your pedals because I found the only thing anyone here needs https://thefartpedal.com/products/the-fart-pedal

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

I said come in! posted:

Sup everyone, you all can go ahead and sell your pedals because I found the only thing anyone here needs https://thefartpedal.com/products/the-fart-pedal

This plus the Miku pedal is all you really need.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I need a fart pedal, a miku pedal, and a chase bliss mood for my nickelback cover band

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
do you guys have any idea where I can try to list my Epiphone SG? I put it on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist and I've been looking at MIM stratocasters but I can't buy a strat until I sell my SG and that is becoming frustrating

gregday
May 23, 2003

Stalizard posted:

do you guys have any idea where I can try to list my Epiphone SG? I put it on Facebook marketplace and Craigslist and I've been looking at MIM stratocasters but I can't buy a strat until I sell my SG and that is becoming frustrating

Reverb is always the go-to.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

gregday posted:

Reverb is always the go-to.

I wish it was better where I am. I have a bunch of searches but most things come up the same price as a brand gear due to exchange rates and shipping factored.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

I said come in! posted:

I think there's an Ola Englund "Will it chug?" with this.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Elissimpark posted:

I think there's an Ola Englund "Will it chug?" with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhV40ciWHw here it is, I badly need this pedal lmao. I really hope they are in stock again.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Only $375-$500 used and you too can sound literally like farts are coming out of your guitar, instead of just figuratively

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Can anyone with a boss OC3 or OC5 tell me how well it tracks if you're palm muting? As I understand it you're actually triggering a synth octave with those pedals so I'm unsure how well it would work with palm muting.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Alternate picking fast feels so weird and sounds so awful.... I will continue to practice it until I get better.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I keep getting a blister on my pointer finger when playing guitar. What am I probably doing wrong? Do my fingers just suck a lot?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yes, take a break for a bit then keep playing in order to build up callouses.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Buschmaki posted:

Alternate picking fast feels so weird and sounds so awful.... I will continue to practice it until I get better.

I've been practicing alternate picking while doing all the scales I know for a few weeks, and it's fun how week-to-week it just feels better.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

luchadornado posted:

I've been practicing alternate picking while doing all the scales I know for a few weeks, and it's fun how week-to-week it just feels better.
Please share your routine. I need help.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

I said come in! posted:

I keep getting a blister on my pointer finger when playing guitar. What am I probably doing wrong? Do my fingers just suck a lot?

If you're talking fluid filled blister, you might have a nickel allergy. Getting any redness and itchiness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Please share your routine. I need help.

Every day I start at the nut, work in half steps, and do a major scale and major/minor pentatonic scales while saying the notes on the E and A strings. All alternate picked. If I fuckup, I slow down and retry that scale.

In four weeks I've gone from "I can't alternate pick and have no idea what any of these scales or notes are" to feeling pretty confident about both.