Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

bitmap posted:

had a great chat eight pints deep with my wifes uncle who has lived his whole life in sligo about mountbatten being a notorious kiddy fiddler because of this thread and he was incredulous but, whoops, look who's in the news

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1581597984609153025?s=20&t=Hc7DAuNM7HR2tCXcfdkTHg

I made a big effortpost years back about this in I think the Epstein thread. My granddad was in the B Specials - the paramilitary wing of the RUC who were the police service in Northern Ireland up to the late 90s, and later became a senior officer in the RUC proper. He had a tonne of info around the Kincora boys' home being used as a honey trap for senior members of the Tory party, all covered up and protected by the RUC Special Branch and MI5. His career ended not long after he tried to tell what he knew to the mainstream media. No regrets, he was a oval office of man.

There's a whole string of Tory politicians making "humanitarian" trips to boys homes in Northern Ireland during the height of the Troubles, when any public appearance there would have been considered an unacceptable security risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this is honestly so important

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

lobster shirt posted:

this is honestly so important

talking will get us there if not votes will

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

scotland sounds loving wicked am i wrong?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

i am harry posted:

by the standards of england, no you're absolutely not

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what about Boris Johnson as pm?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

euphronius posted:

what about Boris Johnson as pm?

it was his turn. now it's her turn. but now we're thinking hey: it's his turn once more

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

i am harry posted:

to every British leftist outside of Scotland it seems like a mythical utopia. Ask the scottish posters and they'll give you thousand yard stares.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Jk Rowling has completely lost her mind. This is her writing in the times

https://twitter.com/ICanSeeForever1/status/1581625920280231938?t=ZayeUnL31wybx5l6OL7uvw&s=19

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Nonsense posted:

why would sky even bring it up i thought they were right-wing uk tv news and bbc was sensible liberal-right news

Sky is nowadays owned (& fairly integrated at this point) by NBC/comcast and follows that general editing direction, quite American liberal

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Oct 17, 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is this good for Liz truss lol

https://twitter.com/hmtreasury/status/1581872919952904194?t=UU2FWCo403hGMR-V3IO-pA&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

i am harry posted:

It's wrong. The long winter nights are probably pretty grim if you aren't used to them. Personally I like that I can go star gazing at half four in winter.

It's nice not having to pay for my prescription though, & uni being free is positive compared to down south, but being less lovely than England is a low bar.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

i am harry posted:

It's not perfect, but we're probably an example of what happens when you're not being run by a Government that wants to turbofuck everyone and everything in the name of racist gammons. The SNP have always leaned on the social democracy side of governance and have done a good job of concentrating on making Scotland a nice place to live in.

The pros are:

• Scottish Water is a statutory corporation and we don't pay for water in our bills (its wrapped up in council tax instead). As such our water quality is extremely good and given the recent stories down south, in alot better state then England's.
  • The Scottish Government doesn't get involved in culture wars and is anti-the sort of nonsense the Tories do.
  • The Scottish Government tries to help out young people as much as old people, where it can. So there are free bus passes for 18-24 year olds, and they recently implemented caps and freezes on landlords to stop them from ramping up rental prices (gently caress landlords)
  • Alot of our transportation is nationalised (Edinburgh buses, ScotRail). Admittedly there are bumps along the road with Scotrail, but that's by and large thanks to the ineptitude of the last private organisation that owned them.
  • Our cities are fairing alot better when compared to the 80s and 90s. Dundee is the big success story with its regeneration of the waterfront.
  • Everyone is still very pro-EU.
  • I don't know, maybe it's just me, but people seem alot happier up here?

The cons are:

• There's still alot of poverty in our cities, that can't easily be fixed. Glasgow suffers the most from this.
  • There's still alot of drug and alcohol issues. The Scottish Government does have a plan for trying to fix drug abuse, but it's tied up in reserved policies and the Tories aren't releasing them, preferring to go "Look at all the drug deaths caused by the SNP!"
  • Housing costs are as expensive up here as they are down south, probably more so because people want to live near the central belt for work reasons.
  • There are sections of Scotland that have Tories (borders, some parts of Aberdeen). Scottish Tories are worse than regular ones.
  • Edinburgh is basically a sort of Disneyland now. It's overpopulated, a pain to drive into, and becomes even more of a nightmare with people when the Fringe is on.
  • The union is basically dead, the Tories are holding up any further devolution, and it's unlikely Labour will devolve anything either.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Replace Liz with an ELIZA AI and we can force the La-li-lu-le-lo from out the shadows.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/NicholasGuyatt/status/1581252255742758913?t=fEiBYjPaON-XJ_U57jkleg&s=19
https://twitter.com/NicholasGuyatt/status/1581252299388686336?t=B77_vxZP1QtsoTQD-8dPNw&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Really wish the unions would just disaffiliate and kill the party off

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose posted:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

quite funny that keirs plan of do nothing to upset the elites is actually working

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jose posted:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/tomorrowsmps/status/1581924778629533701?s=20&t=QwCA7KP5FCkg6Jsqr4TAgA

Suddenly the grift makes sense

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Anyway this is cool

https://twitter.com/richfelgate/status/1581889601051889664?t=vGFG9WdZfeP97lE0gIO-XQ&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

quite funny that keirs plan of do nothing to upset the elites is actually working

Except it's only working because the Tories are destroying themselves. All of the problems the Tories face labour are going to face except they're basically the same party so lol at them being able to do even meagre repairs

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Don't forget the cops are still British

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I like this media strategy they've got going on, even if they're probably going to get hanged for terrorism before Christmas.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oh good lol

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1581948864684122112?t=f4d1O2IGcsoeSnA8x1BB4Q&s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Oh yes, I'm sure the energy crisis and cost of living crisis will be over by April, what a relief.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Oh yes, I'm sure the energy crisis and cost of living crisis will be over by April, what a relief.
That's when you enter the cost of dying crisis.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are they really going to limp on until 2024 because lol

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's when you enter the cost of dying crisis.

It's too low. We need to raise the cost of dying to encourage old people to stay in the work force

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Mr_John_Oxley/status/1581951723866054658?s=20&t=dgmkpadXXwo1zF90eER7Kw

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.
On the one hand it's fun to watch the tories abjectly humiliate themselves, but on the other hand allowing government policy to be dictated by watching whether the line goes up or down like the audience on Play Your Cards Right feels really very bad and not something to be cheered on

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Jeremy oval office is effectively PM, this is fine because we apparently live in a dictatorship now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Congratulations on solving your budget crisis.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Dravs posted:

Jeremy oval office is effectively PM, this is fine because we apparently live in a dictatorship now.

It's not a dictatorship, this just how the Westminster system works.

Would it be better if BoJo was still limping along ineffectually until 2024 instead? This way is funnier

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dravs posted:

you might even call it a dictatorship of the bourgeoisie

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

completely untenable to have another leadership election without a general election, anyway here’s the new chancellor who definitely isn’t the acting PM

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
iirc he's tried this before, and didn't make it onto the long list. him constantly justifying Keith Labour "from a Marxist perspective" and then getting shat on whenever he tries to benefit is an excellent bit and i hope it continues

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

a few months ago british gas had an “emergency “ fixed rate for people who dropped onto the variable rate, which was obviously more expensive but fixed for the year

i joined up back then, and just got an email saying you know what the current cap means that you’re technically over paying so click here to go back to variable please

the difference is 20 quid annually (primarily due to the standing charge being slightly dearer), so i haven’t clicked because i just don’t trust these fuckers to u turn on energy costs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CGI Stardust posted:

iirc he's tried this before, and didn't make it onto the long list. him constantly justifying Keith Labour "from a Marxist perspective" and then getting shat on whenever he tries to benefit is an excellent bit and i hope it continues

I hadn't realised but Eddie Izzard is also running to be the candidate for this constituency which is funny. Hope they both lose to some dreary Sheffield machine politician who has been a councillor for their entire life, just the emptiest suit