Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Blue Nation posted:

One cute detail of this episode was Helaena embroiding a spider :3: Long Live Bug Queen
Spiders aren't bugs

Beefeater1980 posted:

Poor Alicent is coming across as very sympathetic IMO, despite having to be Queen onlyfans to keep her spymaster onside.
I feel like that makes her more sympathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think they did a bad job communicating that Rhaenys was just escaping with her dragon, rather than coming there with the express intention to disrupt the ceremony or “send a message”. Both her not roasting them and Otto screaming about the door make a lot more sense from that perspective. She just wanted to get tf out of there. At first I thought she came in from the ceiling and didn’t understand why the door even mattered.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

its very funny to me, that a show that has spent half its runtime trying to get me to not be overwhelmingly grossed out by an uncle-niece pairing, thought it was gonna ick me out with some PG foot guy poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Starks posted:

I think they did a bad job communicating that Rhaenys was just escaping with her dragon, rather than coming there with the express intention to disrupt the ceremony or “send a message”. Both her not roasting them and Otto screaming about the door make a lot more sense from that perspective. She just wanted to get tf out of there. At first I thought she came in from the ceiling and didn’t understand why the door even mattered.

Maybe Hodor wasn't seeing the future, maybe he was getting signals from the past...

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

That DICK! posted:

its very funny to me, that a show that has spent half its runtime trying to get me to not be overwhelmingly grossed out by an uncle-niece pairing, thought it was gonna ick me out with some PG foot guy poo poo.
Guess what? Foot guys are the grossest thing you can legally show on TV.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The biggest takeaway for me from the Rhaeneys scene is a powerful reminder that HBO and GRRM put this series in the hands of a guy whose only writing credit was a movie where The Rock teams up with a gigantic ape to destroy Chicago and fight another giant ape

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Honestly I’m finding Otto the least sympathetic character in the show now. Aegon is probably close but he seems to realize how hosed things are making him king

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

smoobles posted:

I strongly disagree, I think every episode from now on should start with Aegon missing and and the episode is about everyone trying to find him and what he's doing

So you just want a Where in the World is Aegon Targaryen done in the style of an HBO show, do you? Maybe mix a little child bum fights, feet pics and incest in there, huh? PBS ain't syndicating that, I don't care how close it ties in with Where in the World is Carmen San Diego.

That DICK! posted:

The biggest takeaway for me from the Rhaeneys scene is a powerful reminder that HBO and GRRM put this series in the hands of a guy whose only writing credit was a movie where The Rock teams up with a gigantic ape to destroy Chicago and fight another giant ape

Also you can blame the storytelling on HBO and the writers, but lets not forget, Mr. George R. R. Martin wrote this time line and they just gotta go with the flow. He probably wouldn't have been like "put someone with a dragon in front of the entire lineage of the opposing team and than fly away", but ultimately, I guess they are suppose to live? Or could we be looking at a retcon?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Starks posted:

This is the platonic ideal of a TV IV post, complaining that a scene didn't communicate something by listing the ways they communicated it, culminating by saying their confusion is rooted in the fact that the viewer hallucinated something that did not happen onscreen in any way.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

This is the platonic ideal of a TV IV post, complaining that a scene didn't communicate something by listing the ways they communicated it, culminating by saying their confusion is rooted in the fact that the viewer hallucinated something that did not happen onscreen in any way.

Alright man sorry. I feel like a lot of people also had the same experience I did based on posts here and elsewhere, maybe I’m wrong.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The Rhaenys escapse scene calls back to Otto's talk from earlier in the episode about how murdering Rhaenyra and her kids will save more lives long term.

Rhaenys doesn't care about the deaths of commoners but refuses to murder people who actually matter in the society. Torching the Greens would have been kinslaying and kicked off a war, but it would have been a much smaller war than the upcoming Green versus Black fight.

The episode spent a good amount of time on the streets of Kings Landing, showing the depravities inflicted on the common-folk and them being treated like livestock at the whims of the nobility. Rhaenys crushing hundreds of normal people but refusing to torch the handful of noble freaks who were committing treason works thematically. If it is in character for Rhaenys is a different question.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

TyrantWD posted:

She tells Rhaenyra how men would sooner burn the kingdom to the ground before allowing a woman on the throne back in episode 1 or 2, and the preview shows she immediately heads to Dragonstone to get the Blacks ready for war. The war started the second they started killing nobles loyal to Rhaenyra, and Rhaenys decides to make the point of threatening to kill the greens before flying away, instead of immediately heading for the exit.

What you're describing is Rhaenys being very astute about how important appearances and public opinion are, particularly if you're a woman trying to hold power. Which is logically consistent with her calculus that burning the new king and his family to death in a public unprovoked attack would not go well. She makes a point of threatening the family and making it clear they are all only alive by her mercy, something which may actually be beneficial for her and her allies.

Yes, war is likely coming, and the greens have killed people behind closed doors. But in practical political terms there is no war. The greens have quickly pulled off a peaceful transition of power for this exact reason, to force anyone challenging them to brand themselves traitors and usurpers.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i basically ignored the door thing as it was happening because it was obviously a non-issue. oh what, is the episode gonna end with a dragon gettin trapped by a freakin door? no freakin stakes. for an episode 9 i feel like it had too much of that, the missing aegon plot and otto v. alicent search teams things were similar.

on another note since everyone was eyerolling at alicent's deathbed confession story anyway it felt like a missed opportunity to me that aegon in that carriage ride to the coronation wasn't like "oh come on mom, there are like 7 million aegons and dad was poppy'd out of his gourd"

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Here’s hoping one of the spinoffs is about a gang of Aegon’s bastard child gladiators wreaking havoc on the countryside.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

mweber posted:

Here’s hoping one of the spinoffs is about a gang of Aegon’s bastard child gladiators wreaking havoc on the countryside.

Aegon's Conquerors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyz_2DEah4o

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

The Rhaenys escapse scene calls back to Otto's talk from earlier in the episode about how murdering Rhaenyra and her kids will save more lives long term.

Rhaenys doesn't care about the deaths of commoners but refuses to murder people who actually matter in the society. Torching the Greens would have been kinslaying and kicked off a war, but it would have been a much smaller war than the upcoming Green versus Black fight.

The episode spent a good amount of time on the streets of Kings Landing, showing the depravities inflicted on the common-folk and them being treated like livestock at the whims of the nobility. Rhaenys crushing hundreds of normal people but refusing to torch the handful of noble freaks who were committing treason works thematically. If it is in character for Rhaenys is a different question.

the weird thing is i watched that behind the episode segment they do for this episode and ryan condal describes it as a heroic moment for rhaenys. there's other stuff in there that made it clear they didn't really put too much thought into it beyond having a spectacle scene, but describing it as heroic is so contrary to what the episode showed since like you said they show a lot of king's landing in this episode, and have consistently shown how these royals kill commoners without even noticing.

come to think of it, actually all of that killing has come from rhaneyra's side. the greens have exclusively killed nobles so far - house strong and the lords in this episode. daemon has killed all those commoners in ep1, crushed his own soldier underfoot, that body double for laenor, and surely many others by this point. now rhaenys closed the gap in a single move.

otto's reasoning that killing rhaenyra now would save more lives is self-serving, but it's also not wrong.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 17, 2022

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Starks posted:

Alright man sorry. I feel like a lot of people also had the same experience I did based on posts here and elsewhere, maybe I’m wrong.

Sorry for the snark, that was unnecessary. You're not wrong that a bunch of posts agree with you but I do disagree with them :v:

mweber
Dec 24, 2003

Put a Velaryon wig on Mr. T and set him loose on the smallfolk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Atrocious Joe posted:

I think in relation to this, the weird fake-accent speaking lady taunting Otto that he (and the future King) only have the power that the people LET them have and he should never forget it, Otto assuring her he would remember what she said, and then burning down her house and (presumably) killing her says a lot for how much of a poo poo he gives about common people too. When Otto talks about what is good for the Kingdom and the people etc, he means nobles. They're the only people who ACTUALLY matter, and I wonder what if any thought will be given by either side to the presumably hundreds of people Rhaenys killed with her dragon escape.... probably no more than was given to Crab-Man's soldiers after Daemon and the Sea Snake finally got their hands on them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh I see the problem, says here the bad accent lady's dialect coach is Chet Hanks.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

the weird thing is i watched that behind the episode segment they do for this episode and ryan condal describes it as a heroic moment for rhaenys. there's other stuff in there that made it clear they didn't really put too much thought into it beyond having a spectacle scene, but describing it as heroic is so contrary to what the episode showed since like you said they show a lot of king's landing in this episode, and have consistently shown how these royals kill commoners without even noticing.

Tbh the Behind the Episode stuff can be bafflingly off base. In the previous episode they said Corlys' brother was (paraphrasd) "Being honorable, he was trying to tell the truth no matter what, he didn't realize what a controversial topic the bastards were", which is.... Not at all how that character is written.

roomtone posted:

otto's reasoning that killing rhaenyra now would save more lives is self-serving, but it's also not wrong.

This is also Tywin's justification for the Red Wedding, and I think the series does not land on his side. It's also neatly juxtaposed with Stannis/Davos' discussion about burning Gendry: "What is the life of one bastard boy against a kingdom?" "Everything."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Everyone mad at the foot scene but that was much better done and far less prurient than the 10-15 minutes of gratuitous sexposition featured in nearly every episode of original GoT...

Like, it was a gross, creepy scene that absolutely set the tone for what is going on and the positional power play between Larys-Alicent-Otto without having any extras demean themselves pointlessly on camera.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Oh wait nevermind the ending makes perfect sense now, complaints all rescinded

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytlDqSWO8QI

Condal says wanted to give Rhaenys a "triumphal moment." Triumphal displays are something different from straight heroism. There's a level of theater about triumph that's actually removed from the action being celebrated. Even looking at the origin of the term, roman triumphs were celebrations of conquests and genocide.

Condal does say that he thinks Rhaenys knows that if she fries the Greens there will be peace, but she can't do that to another mother. Which implicitly means another *high-ranking noble* mother, because the war will make thousands of mothers bury their children across the realm.

I think this show does dumb stuff, I still hate the Crabeater fight. The actual execution of the Rhaenys escape scene could have been better, but I think the plot beats are solid.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Perfect Potato posted:

Nooooooo

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Perfect Potato posted:

Hillary Clinton emerging from underneath the Javits Center riding a dragon and crushing hundreds of her supporters on election night 2016 somehow would have been more honorable than sending out John Podesta to give the concession speech.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Perfect Potato posted:

This makes no sense at all, in this show the ruling elite chose the old guy who everybody liked as their nominee for heir over her!

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009
Any idea as to who that lord that refused to bend the knee was?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytlDqSWO8QI

Condal says wanted to give Rhaenys a "triumphal moment." Triumphal displays are something different from straight heroism.

he calls it both a triumphal and heroic moment for her character.

i wonder if they intentionally just provide really simplistic takes on the show in these things for some reason, because the writing is generally better than what they describe. or maybe they recorded these long after, and sapochnik/condal don't really remember the details of ones they haven't written.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

the ending would have worked 1000% better instead of a dragon it was John Podesta meekly shuffling out and telling the crowd that the results are unclear and to go home

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stupid-a loving Game of Thrones!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys can bicker and argue about who should hold the throne but there was only one king in that episode and it was Lord Beesbury

sad question
May 30, 2020

smoobles posted:

I strongly disagree, I think every episode from now on should start with Aegon missing and and the episode is about everyone trying to find him and what he's doing
Dude, where's my king?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

zoux posted:

Lord Beesbury

Otto: Rhaenys' not onboard.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

roomtone posted:

i wonder if they intentionally just provide really simplistic takes on the show in these things for some reason, because the writing is generally better than what they describe. or maybe they recorded these long after, and sapochnik/condal don't really remember the details of ones they haven't written.
He is simply more educated than you, and uses heroic in a more classical sense, which is entirely divorced from nearly every modern type of ethics, the only exception being fascist ethics perhaps. A hero is basically just someone who is badass, doesn't matter in service of what.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

"Whack a princess? I won't do that."

"It's been done before..."

"And it was wrong then!"

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

roomtone posted:

I think the showrunners saying things that are confusing or outright incompatible with the show we just watched is a case against auteur theory and highlights how many different people contribute to every creative decision on a show, even the broad strokes of the plot.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also remember that a lot of the BTS stuff is to whack a lot of the idiots who watch this show over the head and explicitly say "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED!"

Like, this thread can barely come to a consensus on interpreting scenes, Joe Sixpack has no chance...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

ShowTime posted:

Yep. It was just a display of power + escape. She got locked in her room by them, they may have killed her, or at least held her hostage (which is super common), to solidify their claim, and she likes that side of the family. But she needed to prove that she ain't gonna show her feet to no one.

Perfect Potato posted:

If nothing else, I want "show your feet" to be the next "bend the knee" of the self-important politics-obsessed twittersphere