Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
Here's an ABC News source of the situation in Haiti, dated October 14, 2022. Keep in mind that the horrible stuff described has been going on for quite some time; things in Haiti went to Hell after President Moise's assassination in July of 2021.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/haiti-gang-makes-demands-test-power-government-91520106

One particularly strong rebel power player, Cherizier and his gang, is alleged to have committed atrocities. "But the demand to void arrest warrants would likely be rejected by the government, which has long sought to arrest Cherizier on charges including orchestrating one of the country’s worse massacres, in which dozens of men, women and children were slain."

Another standout quote: "In addition, gangs are increasingly raping women and girls, as well as boys and to some extent men, to exert and retain control over territory, according to a U.N. Human Rights report released Friday."

There's additional horrible details from the U.N. report in that article. Also mentions of spreading cholera, malnutrition, and inability to get medical care. Children are especially at risk.

Yes, the US has done a lot of bad poo poo. That's indisputable. The situation is Haiti is so bad right now that I'm convinced that US intervention won't make it worse, and probably will make it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Victar posted:

Yes, the US has done a lot of bad poo poo. That's indisputable. The situation is Haiti is so bad right now that I'm convinced that US intervention won't make it worse, and probably will make it better.

To your credit, this same thing has been said by liberals about loving around with Haiti since maybe the mid 20th century, it’s just that it’s never been true.

Clinton had to apologize to Haiti for how his administration treated them, and Wikileaks showed the Obama administration forcefully arguing against them raising their minimum wage, which still would’ve been under a dollar an hour.

So what makes you think that, assuming you know these things?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I am going to assume Haiti doesn’t have any natural resources the United States wants or else we would have intervened already.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

I am going to assume Haiti doesn’t have any natural resources the United States wants or else we would have intervened already.

So you think we do these for humanitarian reasons? Because in my experience, we generally do stuff to preserve the international order we are at the top of (the hegemon I always talk about) and we’d be invading Haiti to ramp down contradictions produced by capitalism.

If not for financial reasons, why did we interfere with them raising their minimum wage? Why would we care? If you can answer that, you’ve got an answer for why we’d do this, and it’s money, in my opinion.

We do not want what is best for Haiti, we want what is best for us, and if Haiti is somehow in the way of that we’ll rectify it, with our standard tools of economic and political domination, and the military if those methods of coercion aren’t effective. Seen it over and over, so I don’t think we’re doing this out of care for Haiti, but more of a sense of dominance and chauvinism.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

So like, was the 2010 earthquake response also an exercise in dominance?

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

selec posted:

We do not want what is best for Haiti, we want what is best for us, and if Haiti is somehow in the way of that we’ll rectify it, with our standard tools of economic and political domination, and the military if those methods of coercion aren’t effective. Seen it over and over, so I don’t think we’re doing this out of care for Haiti, but more of a sense of dominance and chauvinism.

I get that we, the US, want what's best for us. A Haiti overrun by gangs that rape, murder, and extort is not good for us.

What makes me think that US intervention will turn out better this time?

We're not violating Haiti's sovereignty. We've been asked through official channels to intervene.

We'll have at least some support from the people currently being raped, murdered, extorted, and terrorized by gangs.

And yes, I do have a flicker of optimism left that the US can learn from its past mistakes. Sometimes, we can learn. Not all of the time.

Yes, I do have a flicker of hope that President Biden is not completely incompetent. He did end the war in Afghanistan, even if it was ended in a sloppy way and with a war crime (the drone bombing of an aid worker and his family) that was never prosecuted. I'm convinced that Biden doesn't want to keep troops in Haiti any longer than necessary.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

So like, was the 2010 earthquake response also an exercise in dominance?

If you make a country poor, you gotta do poo poo like this to ensure the controlling relationship makes at least some kind of sense.

Poverty is THE issue in Haiti, yet somehow we couldn’t tolerate them raising the minimum wage to 61 cents an hour because that might increase American underwear budgets. Hanes profit margins were more important to the Obama administration than the ability for millions of people to claw their way out of poverty.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wikileaks-haiti-minimum-wage-the-nation-2011-6?amp

Of course we’re going to give them handouts after a disaster, but perpetuate policies that cause untold misery for them day-to-day, that’s what we do with the poor here. It’s the American Way.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

selec posted:

“The United States has long been reluctant to deploy military forces in Haiti” is a blatant lie for any reasonable understanding of “long” by individuals who are not dogs. That’s some real loving consent manufacturing being done when that is stated outright as a fact.

The article says "forcing the Biden administration — long reluctant to intervene in Haiti militarily —" not "the United States".

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Man everyday I learn some new way Obama was a massive scumbag.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

The article says "forcing the Biden administration — long reluctant to intervene in Haiti militarily —" not "the United States".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Victar posted:

I get that we, the US, want what's best for us. A Haiti overrun by gangs that rape, murder, and extort is not good for us.

What makes me think that US intervention will turn out better this time?

We're not violating Haiti's sovereignty. We've been asked through official channels to intervene.

We'll have at least some support from the people currently being raped, murdered, extorted, and terrorized by gangs.

And yes, I do have a flicker of optimism left that the US can learn from its past mistakes. Sometimes, we can learn. Not all of the time.

Yes, I do have a flicker of hope that President Biden is not completely incompetent. He did end the war in Afghanistan, even if it was ended in a sloppy way and with a war crime (the drone bombing of an aid worker and his family) that was never prosecuted. I'm convinced that Biden doesn't want to keep troops in Haiti any longer than necessary.

The interventions do not decrease the amount of rape and murder.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rule of law, defined as the political situation where every citizen is subject to the law, would decrease the amount of rape and murder. Haiti has not been able to establish rule of law since July 2021.

Will US intervention successfully help Haiti establish democratic rule of law? I don't know. I can't see the future, and the only reasons I have for hope are the ones I've given.

You have the history of US intervention in Haiti supporting your position, but history is not a perfect predictor of the future.

What alternative is there to US intervention? Doing nothing? We've been doing nothing for a while now. Sending only humanitarian aid, when the extortion of criminal gangs means that a lot if not the majority of that aid will go straight to those criminal gangs?

Haiti's situation hasn't been improving on its own for nearly a year and a half. It's been deteriorating.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Isn't this about sending in blue helmets as well?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

You're 100% right! I was catching up with the thread and thought you were referring to the similar phrase in the Miami Herald article you posted.

Sorry about that

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Got a source for this claim regarding current day Haiti?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Spoke Lee posted:

Isn't this about sending in blue helmets as well?

Yes. The goal is a U.N. peacekeeping force that was pushed for by the U.N. Secretary General and Haiti.

Haiti has actually been asking the U.S. and Canada to send troops since early 2021, but they have both refused and said they wouldn't do it unless the U.N. was involved.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kalit posted:

Got a source for this claim regarding current day Haiti?

Awfully specific phrasing there.

The last time the blue helmets were there they raped underage girls on an industrial scale. Or maybe that was the time they introduced a cholera epidemic.

'Intervention' in Haiti is and continues to be solely to punish them for the slave rebellion over a century ago.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Victar posted:

What alternative is there to US intervention? Doing nothing? We've been doing nothing for a while now. Sending only humanitarian aid, when the extortion of criminal gangs means that a lot if not the majority of that aid will go straight to those criminal gangs?

military intervention, including UN intervention, vs securing humanitarian aid and reducing its hijacking, are related but potentially different concepts; it's not particularly uncommon for large-scale aid efforts to have security to at least keep supplies or recipients from being robbed right there at the point of service

i don't have a strong opinion on the particular situation in haiti except for A) if the UN at large wants some form of intervention that's way better than the US wanting it and B) current situation seems untenable

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Awfully specific phrasing there.

The last time the blue helmets were there they raped underage girls on an industrial scale. Or maybe that was the time they introduced a cholera epidemic.

This is dnd, so it would be good for you to support your allegations rather than making people look them up for you. that said, the underage rape situation was a very specific contingent of sri lankans (:(), which does speak very poorly of the UN's ability to handle lovely militaries of member states

I'd still broadly say blue helmets are probably an improvement on either Haitian government troops or whatever words you would like to use for the anti-government militants. I also haven't seen "developing world militaries with a history of war crimes are the reason UN interventions suck" much before, it'd be a novel argument.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Victar posted:

Rule of law, defined as the political situation where every citizen is subject to the law, would decrease the amount of rape and murder. Haiti has not been able to establish rule of law since July 2021.

Will US intervention successfully help Haiti establish democratic rule of law? I don't know. I can't see the future, and the only reasons I have for hope are the ones I've given.

You have the history of US intervention in Haiti supporting your position, but history is not a perfect predictor of the future.

Haiti's situation hasn't been improving on its own for nearly a year and a half. It's been deteriorating.

there are a lot of things the US can be accused of as regards Haiti over the past hundred years; "doing nothing" is not one of them

doing nothing good, sure, but doing nothing? god, what they would give for us to merely be doing nothing.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Do nothing? Lol. Didn’t the assassins gather in Miami before setting out? It’s basically assumed that the assassination was orchestrated by the US. At the very least, the US was involved.

The US is invading to keep their vassal state under its thumb, simple as. The next government will probably have slave markets just like Libya did

We are not a good country. We don’t do this poo poo for humanitarian reasons. That’s just what they tell us so we give them our consent.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
What should be done to help Haiti out? The US' record is appalling, but it sounds like a pretty dire situation that requires some kind of intervention.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

theCalamity posted:

Do nothing? Lol. Didn’t the assassins gather in Miami before setting out? It’s basically assumed that the assassination was orchestrated by the US. At the very least, the US was involved.

The US is invading to keep their vassal state under its thumb, simple as. The next government will probably have slave markets just like Libya did

We are not a good country. We don’t do this poo poo for humanitarian reasons. That’s just what they tell us so we give them our consent.

So.... if you think the US government is involved with the assassination, how does Emmanuel Sanon fit into your theory? :confused:

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

tristeham fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 17, 2022

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

What should be done to help Haiti out? The US' record is appalling, but it sounds like a pretty dire situation that requires some kind of intervention.

Oh the U.S definitely has a ton of "help" in store for Haiti.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theCalamity posted:

i don't believe it is basically assumed the assassination was orchestrated by the USexcept in conspiracy-theory dominated insular communities, but you could always try posting support for the idea that sane people draw that conclusion

of note, virtually everyone who commits a crime that involves multiple people that is committed on american soil first gathers in the united states before committing that crime and i do not believe it is generally considered, among sane people, that all crime in the US is orchestrated by the US government

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

evilweasel posted:

i don't believe it is basically assumed the assassination was orchestrated by the USexcept in conspiracy-theory dominated insular communities, but you could always try posting support for the idea that sane people draw that conclusion

of note, virtually everyone who commits a crime that involves multiple people that is committed on american soil first gathers in the united states before committing that crime and i do not believe it is generally considered, among sane people, that all crime in the US is orchestrated by the US government

I wouldn't call basic reasoning a "conspiracy theory" especially given the U.S history of Haiti intervention which can be charitably described as "stomping them back down whenever they get too uppity"

e: The "insane" position that needs evidence is the idea that U.S intervention would ever actually help.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 17, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Yinlock posted:

I wouldn't call basic reasoning a "conspiracy theory" especially given the U.S history of Haiti intervention which can be charitably described as "stomping them back down whenever they get too uppity"

e: The "insane" position that needs evidence is the idea that U.S intervention would ever actually help.

This is kind of telling on yourself that you don't know what you're talking about here.

Moïse was considered a U.S. ally and was backed by the Trump administration when he tried to overstay his term in office. He was also buddies with U.S. textile and oil manufacturing companies.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is kind of telling on yourself that you don't know what you're talking about here.

Moïse was considered a U.S. ally and was backed by the Trump administration when he tried to overstay his term in office. He was also buddies with U.S. textile and oil manufacturing companies.

This makes it even more puzzling that anyone would think that U.S intervention wouldn't just be another round of murder and theft

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Yinlock posted:

i would appreciate the "basic reasoning" that went from "the assassins gathered in miami" (as well as a reliable source on the details of that) to "many sane, sensible people believe the US orchestrated the assassination" or "it is sane and reasonable to conclude the US orchestrated the assassination" so that i can evaluate your characterization of that reasoning

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

We need to intervene to clear up the mess from the last intervention and assistance package is standard US foreign policy now.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Haiti has actually been asking the U.S. and Canada to send troops since early 2021, but they have both refused and said they wouldn't do it unless the U.N. was involved.

Has Haiti been asking for this? Or has the government of Haiti been asking for this, because there seems to be some antipathy towards US or U.N. intervention in part because of Cholera outbreaks and other events.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010s_Haiti_cholera_outbreak#Outbreak

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_abuse_scandal_in_Haiti

The parts of note are the bits in the first Wikipedia article detailing how US security services knew and attempted to downplay the potential Cholera outbreaks source. If this is inappropriate for this thread, I do apologise.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

Has Haiti been asking for this? Or has the government of Haiti been asking for this

What entity would you consider authorized to express the desires of Haiti as a whole?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

haveblue posted:

What entity would you consider authorized to express the desires of Haiti as a whole?

I know that in the US, the country is united as one, behind the president.

It's probably the same elsewhere.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

Not a dictator who may have had a hand in the assassination of his predecessor.

I think you should look at what has happened every other time you tried to "do something" and not go with "give military vehicles to the person oppressing people" or "send in 'peace keepers'" considering their track records.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

haveblue posted:

Probably not the entity that has been postponing elections for about a year (three years for the parliament) after the assassination of the President over a year ago. A government lead by a man who's been accused of helping plan the assassination.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Not a dictator who may have had a hand in the assassination of his predecessor.

I think you should look at what has happened every other time you tried to "do something" and not go with "give military vehicles to the person oppressing people" or "send in 'peace keepers'" considering their track records.

[The government of] Haiti has actually been asking the U.S. and Canada to send troops since early 2021, but they have both refused and said they wouldn't do it unless the U.N. was involved.

There, I explicitly added the implicit assumption to the post you're objecting to :rolleyes:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Kalit posted:

There, I explicitly added the implicit assumption to the post you're objecting to :rolleyes:

Do you think the people of Haiti, of whom there are 9,000 less due to U.N. troops spreading Cholera in the nation, will want this? Do you think I was just referring to the US alone here?

I do not think the current president of Haiti represents the people of Haiti. Even by the standards of other nations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Do you think the people of Haiti, of whom there are 9,000 less due to U.N. troops spreading Cholera in the nation, will want this? Do you think I was just referring to the US alone here?

I do not think the current president of Haiti represents the people of Haiti. Even by the standards of other nations.

Aren't you hitting on a paradox here? Sure, yes a dictator by definition can't really represent his people fine. if that's the case, the UN would want to make sure the people are being giving the humanitarian aid they need by passing their sovereignty which as you stated can't be given by a dictator.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Aren't you hitting on a paradox here? Sure, yes a dictator by definition can't really represent his people fine. if that's the case, the UN would want to make sure the people are being giving the humanitarian aid they need by passing their sovereignty which as you stated can't be given by a dictator.

I suppose. But it only represents a paradox if you think that "doing something" is more moral than not doing something. In this instance can you see a likely way that things will improve through intervention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
So what's the approach the international community should take? By all accounts the situation has deteriorated precipitously. 'Sorry but we can't help you with the problems we helped cause, because we'd just be self serving about it' is the same conclusion as the idiot I was arguing with on YouTube comments who was complaining about how 'we're always giving handouts and bailing Haiti out.' Yes I'm aware of the awful history, but what now?