Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tactlessbastard posted:

This thread is going places

Hell, presumably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Lane_Kiffin/status/1581783685732306946?s=20&t=o-A5ZUnxS4r96RzzynrfMQ

gdi Lane stop making me like you

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
please don’t joke about sexual assault in this context. Even I considered an offhand mention of PSU should be banned from football, but decided against it because it just. really doesn’t belong here.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I am in no way joking. I do not think that Penn State University should participate in football anymore, and I think this because of the culture surrounding Joe Paterno and the whitewashing thereof even after Sandusky.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
:munch:

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^ Didn't expect you to post right before me, but perfect next post/av combo.

Lady Radia posted:

please don’t joke about sexual assault in this context. Even I considered an offhand mention of PSU should be banned from football, but decided against it because it just. really doesn’t belong here.

I don't know that any of these are jokes. They may be tinged with humor (eg finding out how many new and modern ways we can discover to remove these programs from existence), but most everyone here (aside from General Dog) finds these programs repugnant, and would celebrate their discontinued existence and extended jail time for anyone who enabled abuse to occur.

My own school has a bad habit of hiring hardass coaches for their women's programs. I wanted the AD to be cleaned of anyone who defended them (it was not).

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

At the very minimum Penn State should’ve gotten the death penalty for a few seasons

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Awkward moment but oh well. If you want to suggest GDTs for this week, I'll be making it after work Wednesday so like 6 EST or so. If you want to make it instead, also say so, but if not I'll do it with whatever the best title is.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Nick Saban Hot Seat

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

whos that broooown posted:

Both teams have pretty much just taken care of business up to this point. There isn't much to get excited about as a casual observer so far.

the rest of the big 10 is dogshit bad and they are two teams doing exactly what they should be doing. there's not much exciting going on with them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Are Illinois and Purdue the only teams in the Big Ten outside of Michigan and Ohio State that aren't actively disappointing?

Speaking of, there seems to be a reasonable chance that their game on November 12 could determine the West

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Purdue is the ultimate disappointment. They are always disappointing.

Fumbled so badly that it destroyed an entire program.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sash! posted:

Can one be disappointing if you're ALWAYS disappointing? Like, at a certain point, it's more on the person thinking better things are possible and not the 'disappointment'.

No, I don't have unresolved issues with my dad, why do you ask?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

Can one be disappointing if you're ALWAYS disappointing? Like, at a certain point, it's more on the person thinking better things are possible and not the 'disappointment'.

No, I don't have unresolved issues with my dad, why do you ask?

I mean, sometimes you go into Subway thinking it won't be that bad, but then it is?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Cthulu Carl posted:

Can one be disappointing if you're ALWAYS disappointing?

Checked with my parents and they said “yes, absolutely.”

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Sash! posted:

On the other hand, it's not easy to go from Spurrier to Zook to Meyer only to see the program you love crumble to dust.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Yeah you poor guys only made it to the sec championship two years ago, the down years

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Michigan did too? I thought that was Michigan State. I can't keep up with all the rapists.

At this point it's easier to talk about the teams in the Big10 east that maybe didn't harbor serial rapists than those that did.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I wore a 1997 SEC Champions shirt todat

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

downout posted:

At this point it's easier to talk about the teams in the Big10 east that maybe didn't harbor serial rapists than those that did.

Maryland football only killed one guy that’s enough for top three least morally compromised

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Blue Raider posted:

At the very minimum Penn State should’ve gotten the death penalty for a few seasons

SMU got it for paying loving players

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s probably time to make peace with the fact that no D1 revenue team (football, men’s basketball) is ever getting the death penalty again for any reason, for violating the rules of God or man. It hasn’t happened for 35 years; at this point it’s inconceivable anyone even gets a TV ban.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

SMU got it for paying loving players

Every member of college sports is to big to fail

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

General Dog posted:

It’s probably time to make peace with the fact that no D1 revenue team (football, men’s basketball) is ever getting the death penalty again for any reason, for violating the rules of God or man. It hasn’t happened for 35 years; at this point it’s inconceivable anyone even gets a TV ban.

It’s honestly kind of inspirational. Our dumb country has been executing people for years despite it being applied unevenly, expensive, and also occasionally wrong and it took the NCAA exactly once to realize they should never use it again

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I wore a 1997 SEC Champions shirt todat

I went to a few local festivals in more rural-ish NC over the weekend and there was a notable uptick in gaudy orange shirts and apparel with suspiciously little wear to them on Sunday.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

It’s honestly kind of inspirational. Our dumb country has been executing people for years despite it being applied unevenly, expensive, and also occasionally wrong and it took the NCAA exactly once to realize they should never use it again

The funny thing is that UAB did a self-imposed 2-season death penalty (for weird state politics reasons, not because of any kind of scandal) and came out of it stronger than ever within a few seasons. Though maybe that’s as much an indictment of C-USA’s level of competition as anything else.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

General Dog posted:

The funny thing is that UAB did a self-imposed 2-season death penalty (for weird state politics reasons, not because of any kind of scandal) and came out of it stronger than ever within a few seasons. Though maybe that’s as much an indictment of C-USA’s level of competition as anything else.

Well if there’s anyone who loves taking the Death Penalty into their own hands it’s the Alabama legislature

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Lady Radia posted:

Beaver Stadium should be a smoking pit that burns tires. I'll let you decide whether I'm joking or not

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

It's a good thing the NCAA is mostly a paper tiger at this point can you imagine them dangling a playoff ban over someone's head?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
https://twitter.com/portdauphin/status/1582116799541231616

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Its true that Alabama doesn't have any 15 year losing streaks to break

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cthulu Carl posted:

Can one be disappointing if you're ALWAYS disappointing?

Failing to disappoint because things went even worse

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

fast cars loose anus posted:

Ain't beaten Hawaii since 2002! And actually did lose to them in 2003 somehow, so it's a streak of one but still standing.

That was a Timmy Chang year.

Another slightly amusing oddity I noticed is they haven't beaten UCLA since 1976 (played them in 2000 and 2001 so they had more recent chances). Lost to Northern Illinois in 2003 and noped right out of that rivalry. And UCF (!) in 2000 in their only meeting.

God I knew this intellectually but kinda forgot how rough early 2000s Bama was.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

and in the middle of that, won the 1999 SEC. (in a year where they lost to La Tech)

I remember being at the 2003 UGA asskicking of Bama and thinking just how tired the Bama brand looked. Dumb helmets, tired colors, bad players, old fans.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 18, 2022

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

fast cars loose anus posted:

http://www.winsipedia.com/games/rice/vs/alabama

Someone wrote an article during the preseason which went through all the power 5 teams and all the non-power 5 teams they have losing all-time records against, but I can't find it now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

When I mentioned the Orton Fumble that Ruined Purdue for All Time, I did not realize that it happened 18 years ago today.

18 years? Gonna go buy a casket I guess.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Incoherence posted:

http://www.winsipedia.com/games/rice/vs/alabama

Someone wrote an article during the preseason which went through all the power 5 teams and all the non-power 5 teams they have losing all-time records against, but I can't find it now.

Not quite applicable, but still good http://www.winsipedia.com/vanderbilt/vs/texas

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Hey remember when Alabama lost and nobody got molested?

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Sash! posted:

When I mentioned the Orton Fumble that Ruined Purdue for All Time, I did not realize that it happened 18 years ago today.

18 years? Gonna go buy a casket I guess.

No, that happened my sophomore year so it was -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Pretty wild how Vanderbilt and Texas seemed neck-and-neck as programs up until WWII, then Vanderbilt just totally vanished: