Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rynoto posted:

Sadly true.

Been tinkering with Vault Hunters with a friend and it's jank as gently caress but surprisingly fun. Has serious oldschool hexxit vibes with the combat dialed way up. The timed, generated vaults concept works really well as do the modifiers and leveling and progression that we can't really put it down.

A few of the Yogs are doing Vault Hunters and it looks pretty cool. Might have to try it out with my crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Pretty sure anyone old enough to still be posting in a Minecraft thread on SA bought the game in alpha

lol

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Echophonic posted:

A few of the Yogs are doing Vault Hunters and it looks pretty cool. Might have to try it out with my crew.

It's definitely a 'bring-a-friend' type pack. The skill tree encourages specialization and the vaults are large enough for a full group to enter at once and likely not collect everything. Depending on the size/game knowledge of your group bumping up the vault difficulty one level is a good idea, too.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 16, 2022

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

tokin opposition posted:

Pretty sure anyone old enough to still be posting in a Minecraft thread on SA bought the game in alpha

:negative:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

According to the timestamp in the PayPal email and the Minecraft wiki, I bought Minecraft a few days after the free weekend from the auth server being overloaded ran out. (Alpha 1.1.2)

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 17, 2022

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Checked my receipt and looks like it was Beta 1.4 for me.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I have distinct memories of having multiplayer be new and still think of the nether as a new feature so figure it out for me. I think I was maybe 12 or 13

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
A friend bought me Java MC because I had played switch MC and thought vanilla didn't have enough going on and didn't believe him on the depth of the mod scene, I was very wrong.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I waited until beta to buy this dumb game but drat. 11 loving years, huh.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

I have distinct memories of having multiplayer be new and still think of the nether as a new feature so figure it out for me. I think I was maybe 12 or 13

That would be end Alpha early beta, around Oct 09 to Feb 10. Coincidentally, I bought it on Beta 1.3, when beds were added.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

It took me a while to buy Minecraft because when I first checked it out it survival mode wasn't a thing. Actually I don't think there even was anything to buy at that point. It had the limited free-build area and that was it. "What is this halfassed Infiniminer ripoff" was my impression. :shepface:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I was late to the party, coming in at 1.7.2. I saw the original thread for it and realized I needed a lot of spare time before I even dared to try it, and that didn't come along until I had a work sabbatical.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

This is hells of unconfirmed, but just in case: reports of PolyMC being compromised are appearing.

Again, I have no way to confirm this, but just in case.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well that’s less than ideal.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://github.com/PolyMC/PolyMC/commit/ccf282593dcdbe189c99b81b8bc90cb203aed3ee

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I will never get tired of bug zappers like this

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
what the gently caress?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Melting down so early in the week? Oh baby this is gonna be good.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I wonder if you could get Microsoft to revoke his API key

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Reminder you can revoke / remove access to PolyMC here as well in addition to uninstalling

https://account.live.com/consent/manage

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

goddamnit. Okay, time to try another multi launcher I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

StrixNebulosa posted:

Use polymc to get modpacks from curseforge.
thankfully my procrastination has saved me from this recommendation two days ago

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Apparently it isn't currently compromised, but when someone shows their whole rear end like that, it's extremely likely that they're going to do something stupid and potentially harmful anyways. Best to proceed as if the project is already compromised to be sure.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Christ, does everything have to suck poo poo all the time?

Well then, what is the thread consensus for a launcher that can get around the dumbass Curse restrictions and is not in fact run by a bigot rear end in a top hat?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Lordshmee posted:

Christ, does everything have to suck poo poo all the time?

Well then, what is the thread consensus for a launcher that can get around the dumbass Curse restrictions and is not in fact run by a bigot rear end in a top hat?

I guess the options are GDLauncher, ATLauncher and whatever fork of PolyMC ends up being called. It doesn't look like the current rear end hole really did much for polymc to begin with.

Edit: And to be honest atlauncher is better than the last version of polymc that I used. Especially when it comes to curse modpacks, because atlauncher gives you a single button to open the pages for all the mods that are blocked on 3rd party launchers and moves them automatically to the instance folder after they're downloaded.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 17, 2022

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

GDLauncher is pretty smooth these days, you may need to manually update it if you have an old edition on your computer, but at this point it will grab everything from a pack that curseforge doesn't block, and then 'manually' download all the missing bits from curseforge for you.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
If there's one thing that's a constant in all our lives, it's that minecraft drama never disappoints

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

...but that's a bog standard code of conduct.
I think that's a hacked github account. Probably used the same password for his discord account like a dumbass so that got hacked at the same time.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 17, 2022

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Apparently it isn't currently compromised, but when someone shows their whole rear end like that, it's extremely likely that they're going to do something stupid and potentially harmful anyways. Best to proceed as if the project is already compromised to be sure.

Do we know that that's the actual maintainer? Could be their Discord got hacked. I mean, being a bigot like that and being in charge of a software package called "Poly" don't seem to go together.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PolyMC is called that because it is a fork of MultiMC and therefore Multi was already taken.

The good news is that because it uses OAuth tokens, it doesn't actually have access to your Microsoft password or account beyond the ability to log you in to Minecraft.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

Do we know that that's the actual maintainer? Could be their Discord got hacked. I mean, being a bigot like that and being in charge of a software package called "Poly" don't seem to go together.

https://github.com/PolyMC/PolyMC/commit/ccf282593dcdbe189c99b81b8bc90cb203aed3ee

Signs point to "yes", or "can at least commit to the repo."

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GDLauncher is the poo poo.

PolyMC was a fork of MultiMC, created because the MMC devmans got in a slapfight with Forge devmans and then also MMC gagged, choked, and died when presented with a Curseforge pack that had links to even one project with its API kays turned off.

ATLauncher is a reskin/fork of Poly/Multi.

Taffer posted:

It's either the actual maintainer or his poo poo's so ownt that PolyMC cannot be trusted. Either way, do not recommend.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Taffer posted:

Uh

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Anyway I want to know how a Minecraft launcher promotes queerness very much so, either from the author or the hacker

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Taffer posted:

I do not think this Minecraft launcher was named after being polyamorous

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Also, his email address is a vanity domain containing a 4chan meme, so the odds that he is legitimately a shitpile are pretty good.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Anyway I want to know how a Minecraft launcher promotes queerness very much so, either from the author or the hacker

They thought of adding a CoC, and then you couldn't call all the women contributors sluts who deserve to be raped anymore.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The students or whoever that run the open source project for a minecraft launcher said "wow we should have a CLA and a CoC just like real OSS projects!" Maybe they had community issues and wanted to get proactive about them, or maybe they just decided to Get Serious Like The Real Guys, or maybe they realized they should do a CLA (you need a CLA) and decided to take care of the CoC at the same time. Not having a CLA will gently caress you right up if your project lives longer than a couple years- you may find yourself in a position where you NEED to relicense code for one reason or another, but just cannot because it is the property of every individual contributor.

In response the original guy who forked the project from MultiMC who was missing presumed dead for several months came back and destroyed the entire thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Someone I was talking to about this just reminded me of the last meltdown of this type. I'm pretty sure it was posted in the thread, but it's worth remembering.

https://www.orespawn.com
https://www.orespawn.com/fight-back/

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

30.5 Days posted:

Someone I was talking to about this just reminded me of the last meltdown of this type. I'm pretty sure it was posted in the thread, but it's worth remembering.

https://www.orespawn.com
https://www.orespawn.com/fight-back/

:eyepop: