Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Toxic Mental posted:

Thinking seriously about those hot dogs

https://twitter.com/johnnycallicutt/status/1581306448050458624?s=46&t=0k9MFKJ6OzRgQ8ujJsNRyQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Bavarian Meats are all over the place in Seattle. I think they’re the official hot dog of the Mariners or something. In PDX they’re a pleasant surprise.

We had one sack of landjaegers go south on us and grow something. I think the bag says consume within 3 days of opening, which isn’t quite doable in our house, but we aspire to the challenge.

Thinking about picking up the Solo stove knock-off to replace our thrice handed down fire pit. Anyone have it?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Those Bavarian meats salami sticks are good and then you see each one has like 40000mg of salt

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Can I borrow two dollars please? Costco is in town!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

Those Bavarian meats salami sticks are good and then you see each one has like 40000mg of salt

I've eaten an entire Costco bag of the Landjäeger in a single sitting, pretty sure if I didn't have low blood pressure normally it would have killed me.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I can't even name all the Costco bags and items i've eaten in a single sitting. I think the last one was this bag of almond flour Dorito's that tasted like the real thing. The brand was HiLo and they are honestly amazing if you ever see them at your warehouse. I haven't seen them in several months and at this point, i'm afraid too. I've been a member for over a decade now and sad to say, I used to be a real fat gently caress when I joined.

I've eaten countless rotisserie chickens in one sitting though, but I think a lot of people have done that. Sometimes your dinner is just one of those and nothing else.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Did anyone else's location get Zapp's Voodoo chips this year? Or was that a thing some places always had? They got them in Pennsylvania earlier this summer and then they disappeared for a few weeks and when they came back I made sure to buy like 4 bags to show my support but they're gone again. I used to live in the northwest and I never saw them out there over a decade or so of visiting different locations.

I had never had them before and now I'm addicted. Costco giveth and Costco taketh away.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ror posted:

Did anyone else's location get Zapp's Voodoo chips this year? Or was that a thing some places always had? They got them in Pennsylvania earlier this summer and then they disappeared for a few weeks and when they came back I made sure to buy like 4 bags to show my support but they're gone again. I used to live in the northwest and I never saw them out there over a decade or so of visiting different locations.

I had never had them before and now I'm addicted. Costco giveth and Costco taketh away.

All the Sheetz around here have them.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I've definitely noticed an increased in the cost of various items at the costco. When I first got my membership about 5 or 6 years ago I could estimate that the cost of various grocery and housheld items I got averaged out to about $10 an item. Now it's up to $15. The other day I went and saw an old man who had loaded up his cart with those wretched durian Pia Cakes. Last I saw they were on clearance for $2.97 so they may have been even cheaper when he loaded up on them. I hope he's had them before and knows what he's getting into!

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Jose Oquendo posted:

All the Sheetz around here have them.

Yeah I know I can get them places, it's more that I want a massive gently caress-off bag for $5. Snacks are expensive and it's hard to justify paying for junk food regularly when it's not a 'co deal. You get like a 2-3x smaller bag for the same price at regular stores.

That's how I feel about soda too, I'll only buy that poo poo in bulk and even Costco doesn't usually have great deals. There's a machine at my work that charges $3 for a bottle of soda and I think it's insanity that some people will buy those things every day.

Costco does tend to have great deals on chocolates and sweets though, that's another junk food with insane markup when you don't buy in bulk. The selection seems to vary a lot more with those throughout the year though.

The costs are similarly going up for all of the regular-sized items in grocery stores so I still feel like I'm getting a lot of savings even with increasing prices at Costco.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
The increase in prices is definitely more noticeable at Costco than it is at regular grocery stores. A bottle of body wash might cost you a dollar more at Kroger, but at Costco it's like $3 more because you're getting 3 bottles instead of one. I don't think Costco has increased what little markup they have on the items they sell, they just charge more because they're being charged more by the manufacturers. Inflation sucks and there's nothing we can do about it as consumers.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Having the Costco membership has been great for being on a low carb diet. So many different things to try and then be sad when they rotate out of Costco. The large bags of Purely Elizabeth grain free granola were great tasting and an amazing deal when they used to have those in stock. About 1/3 the price by weight for the Costco sized bags.

The Hilo chips were really good, but were not around very long. When they had some cheese puff things recently, I grabbed like 3 bags just in case. Especially when I found out the local store do carry 4oz bags of the chips (Costco was 12 or 16) for like $4 compared to the $6.99 for the Costco sized.

And then there are the staples of tuna, chicken, bacon, sugar free caffeine.

I have to run to Costco tomorrow for a bunch of things, and I think I will be without my kids so I can browse a bit and make my wallet cry.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I love that the Costco bag of their ruffle chips is like 5 bucks but you only get a tiny 'family' size bag of those chips when you buy them at a regular grocery store.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah the razor thin profit margins are already reflected in the MSRP on the giant bags that get sent off to the club stores.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Orvin posted:

Having the Costco membership has been great for being on a low carb diet. So many different things to try and then be sad when they rotate out of Costco. The large bags of Purely Elizabeth grain free granola were great tasting and an amazing deal when they used to have those in stock. About 1/3 the price by weight for the Costco sized bags.

The Hilo chips were really good, but were not around very long. When they had some cheese puff things recently, I grabbed like 3 bags just in case. Especially when I found out the local store do carry 4oz bags of the chips (Costco was 12 or 16) for like $4 compared to the $6.99 for the Costco sized.

And then there are the staples of tuna, chicken, bacon, sugar free caffeine.

I have to run to Costco tomorrow for a bunch of things, and I think I will be without my kids so I can browse a bit and make my wallet cry.

I've walked a lot of people through a low carb diet via Costco and everyone has reported success as long as you can eat 90% of the same things. You do get new things, but as long as you can spice things up with seasoning, you can do a lot of different flavors with just those same ingredients. There is a whole aisle of great seasonings that you can do quite a bit with. The beef or chicken bullion stocks taste great, and they have a whole line of Kinder's seasoning. Then you add on all the bulk seasonings like dried garlic, paprika, etc, and you get a whole bunch of flavor. But the best part is that all those low-carb diet options, you eat in bulk, and Costco sells in bulk, so it works out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Visited the 'Co this past weekend and we couldn't decide between the chicken pot pie or the sheperd's pie for dinner. Having found the pot pie bland some years back we ended up going with the sheperd's and it was an excellent decision - this thing is delicious.

I wonder how laborious/annoying they are to make.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Spent $360 at Costco, the most exciting item being a bottle of Zacapa’s rum which promptly fell out of the box upon entry in my home and shattered :(

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

The Midniter posted:

Visited the 'Co this past weekend and we couldn't decide between the chicken pot pie or the sheperd's pie for dinner. Having found the pot pie bland some years back we ended up going with the sheperd's and it was an excellent decision - this thing is delicious.

Brown meat and vegetables, cover with mashed potatoes

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Midniter posted:

At home? You just make a thick stew and cover it with mashed potatoes

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

My location appears to be out of mini tacos 😔

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Honestly you could knock out a Shepard's pie at home in like 40 minutes. It's very easy.

Come to think of it, you could probably cook one faster from scratch than it takes to warm up the Costco one. Although it's more work and probably more money in ingredients. I still like the Costco one for an easy dinner though.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I refuse to make shepherd's pie with anything other than lamb. I've been using a Gordon Ramsay recipe from The F Word for years now. It's a crowd pleaser, not too hard to make, and honestly I've forgotten an ingredient in the mince more than once and it still turns out bussin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJB3_asB2rc

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 18, 2022

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
It's not loving shepards pie if you put the cowherd's product in it

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

you can use whatever meat you want who cares. go crazy used ground turkey

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The first use of Cottage pie predates Shepards pie by fifty or so years

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Wendigee posted:

No you can't

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Olanphonia posted:

All the food for my son's second birthday was from Costco so that he might be blessed with dollar fifty hotdogs for life.

I’m imagining a Doljabi ceremony but with only Costco food and items. Hot dogs, the good kimchi, maybe a car tire?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just used a jacket for the first time in a while. What's this? Something in the pocket?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Wendigee posted:

Shitbirds pie

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

I’m imagining a Doljabi ceremony but with only Costco food and items. Hot dogs, the good kimchi, maybe a car tire?

the greatest bday gift will be a crank operated onion dispenser

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

lol I know how to make a shepherd's pie, I mean how laborious it is for the Costco employees who have to crank them out. Compared to the bitching and moaning about all the steps in making pumpkin pies earlier in this thread.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
It's hard to know for sure if that's a butcher or bakery item. I'd think it's a union between them, in which case, i'd say it sucks. I'm in a subreddit for Costco and bakers absolutely hate that position because of the work load. So I imagine it's pretty hard to make shepherds pie, only because they also make all the muffins, bread, cakes, etc. Now you give them a meat item they have to deal with and has certain restrictions because meat is involved.

Honestly, I bet they make those pies in that white room in the back, the same room that makes all the meatloaf, chicken wings, chicken salad, etc.

I bet it's just pouring a mixture into a pan that has been laced with the pie exterior, so not necessarily hard, just they do a lot, of everything.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

The Midniter posted:

lol I know how to make a shepherd's pie, I mean how laborious it is for the Costco employees who have to crank them out. Compared to the bitching and moaning about all the steps in making pumpkin pies earlier in this thread.

:chloe:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

numberoneposter posted:

I refuse to make shepherd's pie with anything other than lamb. I've been using a Gordon Ramsay recipe from The F Word for years now. It's a crowd pleaser, not too hard to make, and honestly I've forgotten an ingredient in the mince more than once and it still turns out bussin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJB3_asB2rc

I used to watch the F Word but man that video style is so dated now lol "grate. mince. stir." in monotone over a million cuts so you can't actually tell what's going on. gives me anxiety

very weird in hindsight

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Crusty Nutsack posted:

I used to watch the F Word but man that video style is so dated now lol "grate. mince. stir." in monotone over a million cuts so you can't actually tell what's going on. gives me anxiety

very weird in hindsight

Wow, you weren't kidding. That was difficult to watch.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Crusty Nutsack posted:

very weird in hindsight

Is it really though? In this world of tiktok/tiktok-style videos and all their cuts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTkJlMz5jlU

edit: Replacing video with more recipe appropriate one.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 18, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

.Z. posted:

Is it really though? In this world of tiktok/tiktok-style videos and all their cuts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTkJlMz5jlU

edit: Replacing video with more recipe appropriate one.

yeah that also sucked

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol That looks like str8 dog doodoo

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Why does that video have 3 million views

Maybe I'm becoming an old man but the TikTok short format is a bane on society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has a "Spend $3000, get $500 shop card" promo going on
https://www.costco.com/spend-and-get.html

Get a 2-pack of 14" M1 Macbook Pros from Costco for only $2700 after gift card! Thank you Costco for these bulk deals!
https://www.costco.com/macbook-pro-(14-inch)---apple-m1-pro-chip-with-8-core-cpu-and-14-core-gpu,-512gb-ssd.product.100713178.html