Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

keep or mull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

genuinely don't think you've posted a 'would you keep this hand' in here and have had the answer be 'yes'

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

This is unquestionably a mull.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
for a hot minute there i kept seeing Silverback Elder in random decks and i'm just like, i see the appeal, but still, no

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

your posts? mull to zero please.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

:love: jk

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this is quite possibly the best turn of historic brawl i've ever had

https://www.17lands.com/user/game_replay/1b4ee9fc65dc47bb9a52c2e589850b34/31969835/1666029304

black market connections -> early treasure to cast the first sliver, cascade into fight rigging, fight rigging to cast verdant rejuvenation for free, vomit out seven permanents including scholar of the lost trove to recast verdant rejuvenation a second time for free vomiting out even more permanents

not bad for only having four lands out

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

keep that hand amd if you dont draw red by turn 2 concede and dismantlye the whole deck

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

never mulligan in constructed believe in the heart of the cards

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i like how Standard has the manabase right now to support all kinds of nonsense goodstuff decks, but i'll also be glad when it all rotates out and presumably we go back to two color decks

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I hope when the pain lands come out in brothers war that we get a good 5c control deck, the most fun type of deck

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kashuno posted:

I hope when the pain lands come out in brothers war that we get a good 5c control deck, the most fun type of deck

What kind of 5c control deck are you imagining that badly needs the 4 other pain lands and can't exist right now with SNC trilands and the existing 6 pain lands?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

No basics, painlands only, final destination.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
The Domain deck is legit, I was able to casually cruise to Mythic in Bo1 with it

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm playing 22 mountains because I don't own a Sokenzan

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
What decks would be enabled if mtgbro has the tron lands?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Thranguy posted:

What decks would be enabled if mtgbro has the tron lands?

Forget about the tron lands and bring back Mishra’s Factory.

Edit hey wait apparently they are bringing it back! Cool

Flowers For Algeria fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 17, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
i hope we don't get tron lands. Because I enjoy playing arena pauper and artisan, and the formats will get worse with those.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Forget about the tron lands and bring back Mishra’s Factory.

Edit hey wait apparently they are bringing it back! Cool

Don't get tricked like everyone else

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Whats your plan if you keep this?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Whats your plan if you keep this?

I guess the question with the deck is "how bad is skipping turn 2" (my current gut is "very bad and you should mull")

most recent one:

i mulled this one too into 6 with a t2 play, got run over by mono-R

Edit: is this just an aggressively mull kind of deck or is my luck terrible right now lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think you have a different definition of aggressively mulligan than I do

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I think you have a different definition of aggressively mulligan than I do

I guess the default assumption is that you build a deck that you get a good 7 the majority of the time, right? And that if your hand isn't the "nut draw" the grey area is between decks that could draw into better shape in one or two turns, or the more combo-ish decks that need to mull to a winning hand because they can't rely on drawing one or two cards? It's hard for me to get a handle on what this deck wants yet I guess.

Meanwhile

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
a deck that you're aggressively mulliganning is something like the greasefang deck where you're fine going to 5 if it has the right cards in it. mulligans to 6 are just something you're going to do a good chunk of the time with any deck just because sometimes you get a bad opener even with the arena bo1 opener algorithm

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Every single hand you’re asking about has twinflame in it like it’s a deck that can win turn three but it’s not gonna always be consistent. Recognize your deck

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Feel like a deck that wants to win super early has to mulligan more often because a lot of hands can't win super early

Meanwhile a control deck might be like "oh I'll lose a turn with this hand, that's fine there's plenty to come, I'll just stall with this spell I can play for sure, that's the plan anyway"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

Oh well, my first 7 was an insta-mull so this is my 6 that i also have to mull lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

an exercise for the reader: without looking ahead, give me your thoughts on the first picks of pack 1 in this draft. this was my first DMU draft since since release week, these picks was really tough and I'm curious if people would arrive at the same choices (at least until pick 7 which turns the draft into an on-rails RW bonanza).

the games were pretty funny too, especially the last 3 games which were like a progression through the final bosses of the format. what a deck.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

also it looks like they added a set collection tracker??? it's hidden all the way in the profile menu. if you click on a set icon it gives the breakdown of cards you're missing by color and rarity, which is pretty useful (though it doesn't give exact numbers, just percentages)

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

kalel posted:

also it looks like they added a set collection tracker??? it's hidden all the way in the profile menu. if you click on a set icon it gives the breakdown of cards you're missing by color and rarity, which is pretty useful (though it doesn't give exact numbers, just percentages)
If you click on the expansion symbol, it'll give you counts on the number of cards you have, with a visual indicator on the number of cards that you have at least one copy of.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
from what i can tell it tracks how many individual cards you have a copy of until you fill out that rarity (i think??), at which point it flips to a gold bar tracking how many total cards you have up to a playset of each individual

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

quite stretched out posted:

from what i can tell it tracks how many individual cards you have a copy of until you fill out that rarity (i think??), at which point it flips to a gold bar tracking how many total cards you have up to a playset of each individual

Yes that’s exactly it.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I guess that makes sense.

Oh well, my first 7 was an insta-mull so this is my 6 that i also have to mull lol

there's also the other option you can go for, which is: you've picked up a list that someone else has brewed, why not see if there's something you can tweak and see if it works better for you?

if i was personally tweaking it and i had hands like the ones you've been getting, i'd personally be poking at the manabase a little? maybe go to 4x mountains and forests to get 3x of ziatora and jetmir triomes, or even see if this is somehow the right deck for the domain enabling land everyone was down on from DMU, thran portal (which is quite possible, given how many taplands you're running and how early you want the deck to go off)

basically: don't be afraid to experiment, even with lists pro players have made and ran with. the worst case is that you learn why the original list was tuned the way it was in the first place; the best case is that you find the right cards to succeed in your localized meta. just, stick with your tweaks across a half dozen games at least just so you're not kneejerking back and forth off of variance

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

40 lbs to freedom posted:

never mulligan in constructed believe in the heart of the cards

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Completed my collection of DMU. Sadly don't really have any stats since I drafted mostly on mobile but the most success I've had in this draft format was with controlling Sultai Domain decks and aggressive GRx domain decks. Coalition Warbrute and Colossal Growth go very late and you can get some really fast kills with those (and Gaea's Might of course). Also drafted a decent amount of Wx aggro-ish decks and UR spells but those didn't work out as well for me.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Retcon posted:

Completed my collection of DMU. Sadly don't really have any stats since I drafted mostly on mobile but the most success I've had in this draft format was with controlling Sultai Domain decks and aggressive GRx domain decks. Coalition Warbrute and Colossal Growth go very late and you can get some really fast kills with those (and Gaea's Might of course). Also drafted a decent amount of Wx aggro-ish decks and UR spells but those didn't work out as well for me.

I've basically never had GRx come together for me (and when I've tried, I've ended up feeling very underpowered), but I find RW go-wide is a very consistent 4-3 or better in best of one. Maybe I'm bad at drafting lands highly enough?

Agreed that (usually blue spells or black graveyard based) Sultai value piles are great though. And UR spells can be very hit-or-miss in my experience too.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What are people's win rates in DMU draft btw? Currently around 58% but only managed like 12 drafts due to moving house, trying to cram some more in now

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Death of Rats posted:

I've basically never had GRx come together for me (and when I've tried, I've ended up feeling very underpowered), but I find RW go-wide is a very consistent 4-3 or better in best of one. Maybe I'm bad at drafting lands highly enough?

Agreed that (usually blue spells or black graveyard based) Sultai value piles are great though. And UR spells can be very hit-or-miss in my experience too.
GRx is something I only started drafting after i lost to it a bunch. Aside from the obvious cards like Rootwalla or Outrider it benefits from playing a lot of cards that go late like Warbrute or Goblin Picker. Lands are definitely a big part of it though, need to make sure you get enough of them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MikeCrotch posted:

What are people's win rates in DMU draft btw? Currently around 58% but only managed like 12 drafts due to moving house, trying to cram some more in now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

an exercise for the reader: without looking ahead, give me your thoughts on the first picks of pack 1 in this draft. this was my first DMU draft since since release week, these picks was really tough and I'm curious if people would arrive at the same choices (at least until pick 7 which turns the draft into an on-rails RW bonanza).

the games were pretty funny too, especially the last 3 games which were like a progression through the final bosses of the format. what a deck.

p1p1 I'm between Elder Dragon War and Weatherseed Treaty probably. Both are really good. I think I'd go with Elder Dragon War because the thing can be a blow out against the aggressive decks that seem to be popular right now and later just cashing in for a 4/4 flyer for 4 is a pretty good fail case, but I wouldn't fault anyone for Weatherseed Treaty here
p1p2 Dragon Whelp, Argivian Cavalier, Tolarian Terror are my options. Whelp keeps me in red but isn't especially great, so I think I'd narrow it down to terror or cavalier. I'd spec on Terror though since it is not easy to get them these days and Elder Dragon War and Terror can definitely end up in the same UR spells deck. Don't think I'm at a point where I'd take a land here.
p1p3 Tough pick. I think Iconoclast makes sense given the land you picked last pack. Nothing here really stands out to me, I'd take Idllyic Beachfront if I took Terror p2.
p1p4 great red doesn't seem to be coming, I'd take Joint Exploration as a spec pick here and an out to go into UG if I wanted.
p1p5 I think here it'd be making a stand time. It's possible that there just hasn't been good red to reach you coming around. Steelcrusher and Whelp are both fine, I think I'd spec on whelp here
p1p6 another dragon whelp, I think I'd go with that.
p1p7 easy take up the shield here
p1p8 I'd take Cleaving Skyrider over Keldon Strike team, but I wouldn't be happy about it. I'm not even sure if that's right, but I've won a lot of games off of Skyrider flash to burn out my opponent
p1p9 Argivian Phalanx for me, Tori has been completely unimpressive for me

I went through the rest of the draft after that and it looked like a very good WR deck! getting two(!) heroic charges p3p8 and p3p11 is really good.