Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Crain posted:

It'll be interesting to see what finally kills off Family Guy and/or The Simpsons. Eventually they need to find new voice actors for the rest of the casts. Marge's voice actor is basically finished. I'm surprised they kept her at all. Same with the rest of the cast on both shows. There's gotta be something else they want to do, even aside from the ones who do it for the paycheck. People are also going to age out or pass on. If they decide it really doesn't matter and replace the cast as needed I dunno what would kill it finally.

Has doing Marge finally wrecked her throat? I remember when she was on Inside the Actor's Studio with the rest of the cast she didn't want the camera on her when she did Marge's voice because she really scrunch up her face which didn't sound like much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Oh hey, I did the BGs for the Betelgeuse segment back in May! Snuck up on me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Warbird posted:

So it’s the same deal as that FX show that had Swan Boy in it?

IIRC this is just a one off thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's nuts going back to 80s Woody Allen movies and seeing what Julie Kavner used to sound like, a normal human being, except once in a great while you'd hear a little grate and your brain trips over itself like whoa hi Marge

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crain posted:

One of the video essay/"media analysis for fun" channels I follow pointed out that Family Guy is probably only surviving right now because it's accidentally always been perfect for the current social media trend of short, fast, video content. All the cutaways fit nicely into TikTok and youtube short formats, and in recent seasons it's gone even harder in that direction because it's the only thing generating anything close to engagement for it seemingly. Not that it's a good thing, just kinda interesting how it's shallow joke structure has found a accidental niche.

It'll be interesting to see what finally kills off Family Guy and/or The Simpsons. Eventually they need to find new voice actors for the rest of the casts. Marge's voice actor is basically finished. I'm surprised they kept her at all. Same with the rest of the cast on both shows. There's gotta be something else they want to do, even aside from the ones who do it for the paycheck. People are also going to age out or pass on. If they decide it really doesn't matter and replace the cast as needed I dunno what would kill it finally.

its absolutly this. the cut away and weird shot bits are perfect for facebook/youtube shorts and farming likes and poo poo.

Dawgstar posted:

Has doing Marge finally wrecked her throat? I remember when she was on Inside the Actor's Studio with the rest of the cast she didn't want the camera on her when she did Marge's voice because she really scrunch up her face which didn't sound like much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_50J-4NB-c

you can clearly hear the voice get slowly worse over the decades. its sad. i mean she is also 72.

drrockso20 posted:

It's really weird cause Family Guy in it's original 3 season run was basically just a Hanna-Barbera sitcom that was allowed to curse and dabble with sexual humor and slightly more visceral violence(which makes sense considering that until Family Guy got picked up by Fox, Seth had worked at HB and it's successor Cartoon Network Studios his whole career), then after it got revived from it's cancellation it definitely started getting edgier and meaner but you could still see a lot of connective tissue with the original run for a while and then all of a sudden it just dives into the deep end of edginess and nihilism, my personal guess is that it had to do with Seth getting less and less involved with the show outside of voice acting over time, first because of American Dad(which in it's first season also had a lot of that "Hanna-Barbera but for Adults" vibe early Family Guy had) and then later due to various other projects of his and the people now more or less in charge over at Family Guy just don't understand what made the show work in either its original run or the first couple of revival seasons

Honestly next time negotiations come up for extending Family Guy, Seth should do the right thing and just refuse to sign on, they can't really do the show without him as he voices like half of the main cast, and he's clearly sick of doing it

that sounds about right, you can see that he does know how to make stuff beyond edgy comedy or at least edgy with heart. i wouldnt be shocked if he just got bored with family guy and just let it ride as an easy money train to fund better stuff.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the MMO short left me feeling underwhelmed, i'm wondering if it was test animation recycled from the failed attempt at a MMO cartoon that hanselmann writes about in the endnotes for crisis zone. also the celeb casting, while fun, did not fit at all my mental expectations of what any of these characters sound like

Dapper_Swindler posted:

that sounds about right, you can see that he does know how to make stuff beyond edgy comedy or at least edgy with heart. i wouldnt be shocked if he just got bored with family guy and just let it ride as an easy money train to fund better stuff.

he hasn't written for the show in almost 20 years. he's an executive producer which doesn't tell you how involved he is or isn't. mostly i think he just does the voices and then goes off to do more interesting, better content while fox continues to pump the audiences these zombie shows inexplicably continue to command

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I wanted more of the Megahex crew too. It felt short. You really don't get a feeling of unsavory self-loathing as you do when you read the comic.

The rest of The Paloni Show! Halloween Special felt like a Spike and Mike's Twisted Animation Festival show from the early 2000's, with a bunch of uncut/unfiltered Roiland in between as the framing device. There's some cool animation! It can be hard to watch, strange, and very in your face.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Marge's voice must surely be elder abuse at this point.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Marge's voice must surely be elder abuse at this point.

Nah, you want elder abuse in animation, look up the old lady that's been playing Goku in Japan for nearly 40 years. With all the screaming that entails...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Nah, you want elder abuse in animation, look up the old lady that's been playing Goku in Japan for nearly 40 years. With all the screaming that entails...

And the lady of similar age playing Krillin and Luffy for a double dose. Yikes.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I remember when family guy came back and was watching in real time as goons posted here when they pulled the conway tiwtty cut away. Goons were posting

"oh no they are playing the whole thing"

"this is stupid"

"please end already"

To

"eh well say what you want but he can sing"

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

PicklePants posted:

I wanted more of the Megahex crew too. It felt short. You really don't get a feeling of unsavory self-loathing as you do when you read the comic.

The rest of The Paloni Show! Halloween Special felt like a Spike and Mike's Twisted Animation Festival show from the early 2000's, with a bunch of uncut/unfiltered Roiland in between as the framing device. There's some cool animation! It can be hard to watch, strange, and very in your face.

Yeah pretty much this. Paloni Show was pretty mediocre (at least Justin didnt have the Palonis jerking off and making GBS threads this time). TItmouse shorts were usually superior to all the others with their animation. Otherwise a lot of them were trite and/or lazy.

Few standouts for me:

The claymation one.
The bobbing for apples one by Jamie Rodriguez (same guy who did the amazing bird kissing animation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTZZPCw4nQM)

Megahex was kinda mediocre and short.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Crain posted:

One of the video essay/"media analysis for fun" channels I follow pointed out that Family Guy is probably only surviving right now because it's accidentally always been perfect for the current social media trend of short, fast, video content. All the cutaways fit nicely into TikTok and youtube short formats, and in recent seasons it's gone even harder in that direction because it's the only thing generating anything close to engagement for it seemingly. Not that it's a good thing, just kinda interesting how it's shallow joke structure has found a accidental niche.

And yet, how many people still watch Robot Chicken?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AlternateNu posted:

I dont know what happened but I loved robot chicken but then I just stopped caring is this what happens when you stop smoking weed?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I thought it went off the air...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Robot Chicken has been running for 11 seasons since 2005, so they sometimes took a year off like Adult Swim shows often do but it's otherwise been continuous.

There are more seasons of Robot Chicken than there are of Venture Brothers, and there will soon be more seasons of Robot Chicken than there were of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Robot Chicken is the longest running stop motion animated series in television history.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

youtube clips, that shows the defintion of hit and miss. its either kinda funny/clever or its dog poo poo.

for example the worst one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34w4KBBQ0_w

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dapper_Swindler posted:

youtube clips, that shows the defintion of hit and miss. its either kinda funny/clever or its dog poo poo.

Knew it was going to be the Homestar Runner sketch

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's been like five years and I'm STILL loving mad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Knew it was going to be the Homestar Runner sketch

i mean yeah, its the obvious worse one. like robot chicken sketches fall into like a bunch of catogories and this one falls into "harmless cartoon turned violent" and "political message at the end to make you think the writers are smart" neither of which work here.

Vandar posted:

It's been like five years and I'm STILL loving mad.

i am more baffled then angry, they were never gonna do homestar runner funny but :drat: like that takes effort because they clearly watched enough to put some visual japes in there but like drat.

Like what's even the joke here? like with others its "lol old kids show has sex or violence in it" which can some times work but its like idk.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 19, 2022

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I didn't know this existed and I'm sad now

edit: Also Homestar just can't say his Rs correctly, he knows the difference between has and have!!! :argh:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 19, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

i think what baffles me is they have seen enough of it to make half of it a reference to one of my favorite sbemails but like it just kinda farts and ends with a bad trump joke.

edit.

yeah homestar is dumb, incredibly dumb, but he isnt like borderline cognitively disabled,

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly what's most disappointing to me is that probably somebody already did that whole thing on Newgrounds back in Homestar Runner's heyday. It's such an unoriginal bit. I think Robot Chicken used to be more creative when doing that whole bit just because if you're at all aware of the internet, you'd be aware of how common this shtick is.

I guess there's also the aspects that it really doesn't make any reference to understanding what Homestar Runner is, and Homestar Runner generally is a lot more self aware than most of the things they lampoon. I haven't watched Robot Chicken in a long while to say if it's gotten worse all around. Maybe they cycled out all their staff worth a drat? Maybe Seth Green has matured into a less funny adult investing big into NFTs instead of action figures to play with.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
There's a Robot Chicken sketch that's a girl singing a song about homonyms of various filthy words and the song has such profoundly dogshit metre and rhyming that it still pisses me off. Like it's not about the jokes or anything, it's that the song's structure was just so bad.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The thing that really gets me is that they actually used the Homestar models/animation instead of using lovely figures like they do for everything else. Like, THIS was the one thing you actually bothered going on-model for? I would be less upset if they had used some kind of figures for it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I guess there's also the aspects that it really doesn't make any reference to understanding what Homestar Runner is, and Homestar Runner generally is a lot more self aware than most of the things they lampoon. I haven't watched Robot Chicken in a long while to say if it's gotten worse all around. Maybe they cycled out all their staff worth a drat? Maybe Seth Green has matured into a less funny adult investing big into NFTs instead of action figures to play with.

I hope Seth never got his apes back.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Macaluso posted:

edit: Also Homestar just can't say his Rs correctly, he knows the difference between has and have!!! :argh:

I hate to do this, because I agree with the overall sentiment, but Homestar does have problems with has and have, at least so far as the slogan for the Homestarmy goes.

"Do you has the five bucks?"

Although to be honest that feels more like a Chaps' inside joke than an actual deficit of grammar on Homestar's part.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

weird shifts in language is a core part of the homestar universe, as evidenced by how hosed up i talk now because of that website

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I remember I stopped watching Robot Chickens when they decided the nerd in glasses character was the funniest thing ever (he wasn't), and had him show up in pretty much every sketch. The humor was always pretty hit or miss though. It also probably won't hold up if I rewatched it now.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

There's a Robot Chicken sketch that's a girl singing a song about homonyms of various filthy words and the song has such profoundly dogshit metre and rhyming that it still pisses me off. Like it's not about the jokes or anything, it's that the song's structure was just so bad.

Well, they don't do it great, but it was fairly closely trying to copy the original source material. It was kind of a country music thing, I guess Robot Chicken tried cutting down on the faster bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0m89e9oZko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ns9djGa-7I

That sort of thing does make me appreciate the genius of Weird Al more, because it turns out that it's not that easy to make a funny parody song that preserves the musical appeal of the original.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Weasel Stomping Day, yo.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

A.o.D. posted:

I hate to do this, because I agree with the overall sentiment, but Homestar does have problems with has and have, at least so far as the slogan for the Homestarmy goes.

"Do you has the five bucks?"

Still to this day I have a bad habit of leave for work in the morning without phone, keys, glasses or some other essential item. I have a printed out Homestarmy 'Do You Has?' poster by my bedroom door with those items listed on it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SolarFire2 posted:

Still to this day I have a bad habit of leave for work in the morning without phone, keys, glasses or some other essential item. I have a printed out Homestarmy 'Do You Has?' poster by my bedroom door with those items listed on it.

Spotify one day decided I had to hear Adam Sandler sing a song about forgetting his phone wallet and keys and ever since then I hum it and tap the pockets with my phone wallet and keys on my way out the door. It's not a good song but it works, maybe listen to it a few times.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

New helluva boss, loona and Octavia episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0xFUyz1nw

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

SPIN UP THE FANART MACHINES

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Dapper_Swindler posted:

New helluva boss, loona and Octavia episode https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J0xFUyz1nw

That certainly was quite the Cats Don't Dance reference :stare:

Seriously, great episode! It's funny because the Octavia Sneaking In the Office bit was an animatic that they previewed at a con and I kind of thought she was using magic to be indivisible, or something, and since it was an animatic you just didn't see the invisibility effect, but nope, she's just sneaking in there on her own and no one noticed because they were very wrapped up in their own things

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

That certainly was quite the Cats Don't Dance reference :stare:

Seriously, great episode! It's funny because the Octavia Sneaking In the Office bit was an animatic that they previewed at a con and I kind of thought she was using magic to be indivisible, or something, and since it was an animatic you just didn't see the invisibility effect, but nope, she's just sneaking in there on her own and no one noticed because they were very wrapped up in their own things

Yeah, knew I recognized that from somewhere. Was a pretty solid episode.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Now I wish we'd seen a human disguise for Octavia.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I know!! I really wanted to see that! Hopefully next time.

I just really loved all the little character moments, Like Loona and Octavia together and both of Blitz's flashbacks. Moxxie getting some dude's demo CD pushed on to him was really good.

Overall just a real good episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Happy Landfill posted:

I know!! I really wanted to see that! Hopefully next time.

I just really loved all the little character moments, Like Loona and Octavia together and both of Blitz's flashbacks. Moxxie getting some dude's demo CD pushed on to him was really good.

Overall just a real good episode

I like that moxxie continues to be my vibe because he buys tons of stupid arty/posters poo poo because art and poo poo. Including the giant sack and the disapproving gf. I think I have too many drat sharkrobot shirts now because goon.