Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

3 games into the season lmao

It's impressive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
For anyone who didn't watch the game/read the game day thread while the game was going on, Minnesota managed to take a too many men penalty while there was a delayed penalty against Colorado because it was a 4-on-4 when the delayed penalty was called, the goalie got pulled, and someone saw there were only 5 men on the ice during a delayed penalty so hopped on, resulting in the delayed penalty becoming coincidental minors.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
In Ottawa all any of the local sportswriters can parrot is “ignore that the team is playing the same terrible style of hockey as the past 3 years and Zaitsev is back in the lineup, it’s only been 2 games!”

Meanwhile in Vancouver

https://twitter.com/swhyno/status/1582195724850458624?s=46&t=kOogqpzD-mdRL6zio9fAmw

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Canucks look terrible. So disjointed and can barely string 2 passes together.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Shinjobi posted:

Stars undefeated I'm gonna go flip a car

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Amen, brother

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Conor Sheary might be the best Caps forward right now.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Jeff Petry having 3 minor penalties in his return to Montreal, including the one in OT that led to the gamewinner

Leafs came back in the 3rd to tie the mighty Coyotes before losing 4-2 in regulation

Vancouver blew another multi-goal lead

Larkin caused a guy to patrik stefan an empty net

Tonight ruled, so glad this dumb sport is back

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Dallas Stars will win the Stanley Cup

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1582194728677756928?s=20&t=X8PuQKd48fOdsr9_pfCAww

furiously googles "first NHL coach to be fired odds".

i feel like he's insulting all of their stars and Dubas's roster-building, which is wild.

Levitate posted:

Rangers seem like a better team than last year but are iffy on some defense stuff that’s annoying and Igor isn’t quite saving them on every breakdown yet

Need to tighten up some of their back checking and tying up players in front

But the offense is exciting and kids look good

we're definitely playing better. I'm not worried too much about the defense. it's mostly come in garbage time. none of the games have been particularly close, with only Minnesota outplaying them in the first 10. it's great to see. Kakko looks like a beast. he looks like he finally got his big boy strength.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Canucks look terrible. So disjointed and can barely string 2 passes together.
I mean they’re averaging 3 goals a game which is pretty decent.

It’s just that they’re averaging nearly 5 goals against, which was entirely expected with our defensive core.

Another year, another season of the Vancouver Canucks furiously rejecting a rebuild.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

loltoronto.jpg

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Canucks are already settin records

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wippersnapper posted:

The Vancouver Canucks. Maybe management should have… traded out people?

No, only make easy short term decisions at the expense of any long term flexibility so as to avoid any criticism right now. That's the approach that brought the last management group so much success.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Dallas Stars will win the Stanley Cup

loving here for it! Old man pavelski gonna put up 100 points!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1582194728677756928?s=20&t=X8PuQKd48fOdsr9_pfCAww

furiously googles "first NHL coach to be fired odds".

i feel like he's insulting all of their stars and Dubas's roster-building, which is wild.

we're definitely playing better. I'm not worried too much about the defense. it's mostly come in garbage time. none of the games have been particularly close, with only Minnesota outplaying them in the first 10. it's great to see. Kakko looks like a beast. he looks like he finally got his big boy strength.

He’s a possession beast and turned that line into one that can generate chances at even strength far better

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Cocaine Bear posted:

loving here for it! Old man pavelski gonna put up 100 points!

I indexed heavily on the Rangers and Stars for my fantasy team this year

Beat the piss out of Sami Zayn in week one :cool:

:whatup: Oettinger and Shesterkin goalie combo

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
you guys know it's been like a week right? Dustin Penner once led the league in scoring after 2 weeks

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, no way you're gonna bring me down with that Debbie Downer poo poo. Stars never going to lose a game, baby!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

mennoknight posted:

you guys know it's been like a week right? Dustin Penner once led the league in scoring after 2 weeks

Nothing bad could ever happen to the Stars

Ever:shepface:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Had a great time last night.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1582357627769495552?s=20&t=_5GEtI4leacNYIOgPbTMPQ

https://twitter.com/LachInTheCrease/status/1582168440852606976?s=20&t=sPHePjSiyzCA3wDhwiZAWQ

Time to bust out the DOPs wheel of punishment!

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

mennoknight posted:

Nazim Kadri for selke and... Lady Byng.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

mennoknight posted:

Canadiens playing .500 hockey baybee

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

stab posted:

Canadiens playing .500 hockey baybee

Caufield on track to score 60+ :cheers:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

mennoknight posted:

Are you suggesting Adrian Kempe and Nick Ritchie won't be competing for the Rocket Richard trophy, come May?

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are you suggesting Adrian Kempe and Nick Ritchie won't be competing for the Rocket Richard trophy, come May?

Kempe will because I picked him in a hockey pool

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gabe Vilardi all of the sudden hit all of his potential eh, he looks really good. I remember this time last year he was an afterthought and now he looks like one of their most important forwards.

The Kings exist in this weird vortex where all of their top prospects can't be good at the same time. Turcotte has serious concussion issues, and Byfield is coming on pretty slow. Clarke is up on the team this year although he's only getting 12min a night and seems likely to go back to Juniors after 9 games. Kaliyev got scratched last game ???

e: please don't conflate fantasy god and really good player Adrian Kempe with Nick Ritchie ty

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 18, 2022

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I was gonna make some big post about how the Leafs ineptitude vs bad teams isn’t some sort of cosmic coincidence but a direct result of the team philosophy towards possession, how Keefe blasting the team in the media twice in the first 6 days of the season and calling out the stars is basically pulling the mask off of the fact that his “system” requires players to create goals out of nothing, and a losing streak now could/should lose him the room

but instead I’d just like to say: lol leafs

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Idk why I feel more excited about this season than I have the past few years, but I am. Everything seems more exciting and entertaining so far.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
It's kind of shocking that Keefe has had as much time as head coach as he has. He took over from Babs and had close 2/3rds of a season then the weirdo abbreviated Canada only season/bubble. Last year would be the first year you could say he had a 'normal' full season. Depends on how charitable you want to be I guess. Seems very much he's a bottom half of the league coach that gets carried by the exceptional high end talent.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

mennoknight posted:

this is the NHL news/views thread, not the NHL "old man speaks on the inevitability of time and the futility of hope" thread

(gets handed a printout of posts from fans of Canadian teams) Getting reports that that is exactly what this thread is

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
It’s hilarious to me that Florida went all-in this year, don’t have a first rounder for like 4 years and their second pairing has Marc loving Staal on it

https://twitter.com/peteblackburn/status/1582178782164549633?s=46&t=YtsrpyrSyqHoglJF7vnJSQ

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ekblad injured himself so Staal might be first pair now.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Nice, they were already playing with only 20 on the active roster because of cap constraints... teams have really planned this year well.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

It’s hilarious to me that Florida went all-in this year, don’t have a first rounder for like 4 years and their second pairing has Marc loving Staal on it

https://twitter.com/peteblackburn/status/1582178782164549633?s=46&t=YtsrpyrSyqHoglJF7vnJSQ

Practically all of Staal’s skill set has been taken away through age and injury (particularly that horrible eye injury). He has nothing left to give beyond “good in locker room”. It’s amazing a team trying to contend gave him a contract.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

The real question... how will Lavy avoid playing McMichael if Kuzy gets suspended a couple games?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

WeaponX posted:

Practically all of Staal’s skill set has been taken away through age and injury (particularly that horrible eye injury). He has nothing left to give beyond “good in locker room”. It’s amazing a team trying to contend gave him a contract.

Staal had a skill set?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Staal had a skill set?

Can't teach size®

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

The Dirty Burger posted:

there was another play where he just fell vs. Buffalo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQP0vF2Py54&t=5s

this hit a little close to home to me in beer league

Misanthrope posted:

Nice, they were already playing with only 20 on the active roster because of cap constraints... teams have really planned this year well.

apparently Eric is still on a PTO for them too and they're going to try and sign him at some point?