Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

And He-Man is satantic because there is only one Master of the Universe, Jesus!

i never heard this line but i knew he wasn't allowed lol

also tmnt promotes evolution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

The good thing is that if the series isn't a smash hit, Disney is less likely to make its second season a spinoff launching platform as they did with The Mandalorian. So long as it doesn't flop so hard that the second season gets a budget cut, this is the ideal scenario for quality (I'm joking but also kinda not).

Teen Moth: The Series

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Rick Steve's Aldani Travelogue.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Quixotic1 posted:

Rick Steve's Aldani Travelogue.

Rick smokes that lightsaber green

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

galenanorth posted:

It's the Star Trek: Beyond syndrome of a series' ratings being determined by franchise predecessors and franchise fatigue rather than its own quality. I had been thinking about not watching Andor because I was expecting the prequel-of-a-prequel to mean was wrong with Obi-Wan squared.

Yeah, the same fatigue that doomed Solo, which wasn't great but was good enough that, had they releasd it in December, it probably would've done fine.

And then we could haveh ad a sequel.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Before Andor released they added some footage to Rogue One, is that footage included on the streaming version of Rogue One? Or was it stuff from the series that just got inserted into the movie?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sentinel Red posted:

Man, that's great. I really need to check out all those old samurai flicks, it's a bit of a gaping hole in my cinema watching.

You really should! Kurosawa is a great place to start, since a lot of modern cinema is influenced by his work they still feel quite "modern" to watch (I've not expressed this very well).

Yojimbo or Seven Samurai are really good places to begin. Or maybe - keeping it topical - Hidden Fortress. It's not as good as his other samurai films, IMO, but it was (famously) a big inspiration for the original Star Wars.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Throne of Blood rules, too. Awesome Hamlet adaptation.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Dingleberry2 posted:

Before Andor released they added some footage to Rogue One, is that footage included on the streaming version of Rogue One? Or was it stuff from the series that just got inserted into the movie?

Where's this from? First time I've heard of stuff being added to Rogue One retroactively.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

Slashrat posted:

Where's this from? First time I've heard of stuff being added to Rogue One retroactively.

Looking at articles now it looks like it just maybe had some promotional Andor stuff that ran with it. Which makes sense. I seem to recall back when it was first announced it was being labeled as being "mixed" in.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

galenanorth posted:

It's the Star Trek: Beyond syndrome of a series' ratings being determined by franchise predecessors and franchise fatigue rather than its own quality. I had been thinking about not watching Andor because I was expecting the prequel-of-a-prequel to mean was wrong with Obi-Wan squared.
The name is loving terrible, you don't get watchers if people don't understand what they will see in the show. Say what you want about the Mandalorian or the Book of Bobba Feet: starwars fans hear the name and they know what they will get. Whoever selected the name of this show should be fired before we get a Asoka Tano show named "Fulcrum" or "Snips", a show about Captain Rex named "CT-7567" or " and a Anakin Skywalker show named "WIZARD!*". Was naming this show "Rogue" (0 implied) too loving hard? When i first hear a starwars show was named Andor, my first reaction was "Endor? Is it a show about ewoks ? Because i am not 4?". And it's a loving waste because the show is gooooooood.

*Wizard would have more people watching than Andor.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Clem Shoots First

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Toplowtech posted:

The name is loving terrible, you don't get watchers if people don't understand what they will see in the show. Say what you want about the Mandalorian or the Book of Bobba Feet: starwars fans hear the name and they know what they will get. Whoever selected the name of this show should be fired before we get a Asoka Tano show named "Fulcrum" or "Snips", a show about Captain Rex named "CT-7567" or " and a Anakin Skywalker show named "WIZARD!*". Was naming this show "Rogue" (0 implied) too loving hard? When i first hear a starwars show was named Andor, my first reaction was "Endor? Is it a show about ewoks ? Because i am not 4?". And it's a loving waste because the show is gooooooood.

*Wizard would have more people watching than Andor.

Tailor Tinker Star Wars Spy

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
The Last of the Kenari

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It could just have been something simple like Rebellion

It’s already functionally about how the Rebels get started

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Slashrat posted:

Release the "Jyn wears a TIE uniform in a well-lit hallway" cut

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Rogue Zero

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Lobok posted:

Clem Shoots First

Jinnigan posted:

The Last of the Kenari

Jinnigan posted:

Tailor Tinker Star Wars Spy

FlamingLiberal posted:

something simple like Rebellion
All better, even the worst one. Or even just add "Captain" in front of Andor.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Dingleberry2 posted:

It's a scene of Galen Erso assuring Director Krennic that randomly assigned cryptonyms for projects aren't necessary; he's just being paranoid. What harm is there in letting him name the data tape?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Tales of the Jedi episode titles (in no particular order)

"Life and Death"
Written by Dave Filoni
Directed by Nathaniel Villanueva

"Justice"
Written by Dave Filoni
Directed by Saul Ruiz

"The Sith Lord"
Written by Dave Filoni
Directed by Saul Ruiz

"Practice Makes Perfect"
Written by Dave Filoni
Directed by Saul Ruiz

"Coda"
Written by Dave Filoni
Directed by Saul Ruiz

"Choices"
Written by Charles Murray & Élan Murray
Directed by Charles Murray

Episode lengths (in order)
17 minutes
14 minutes
13 minutes
15 minutes
10 minutes
14 minutes

Galactic Pals: Tauntaun, Rancor

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 18, 2022

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Dingleberry2 posted:

Afaik it was just a 10min extended look of Andor plus the final trailer for the show which screened before RO cinema re-release

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Call it Star Wars: Rebels. Or maybe Star Wars: Resistance.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
they should add the drat TIE Fighter footage

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they should have just named it 'jedi' and faked everyone out for a bigger audience. eat your vegetables, children

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chatted with an ex co-worker who is a self proclaimed fan of the Star Wars. She tells me that she couldnt get into The Mandalorian (wtf), but hears that Obi-Wan Kenobi was good (wtaf) When I asked if she's watched Andor, she tells me she hasn't.

Fuckin fans, man.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

oh yeah well name 3 yodas

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The puppet one, the stupid cgi one, and yaddle

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Alan Smithee posted:

Original flavor Yoda, lady Yoda, Glup Shitto

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Puppet Yoda
Lady Puppet Yoda
Baby Animatronic Yoda

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Saved up the three new episodes of Andor and watched them all as a block, then I got to write this up for blood knife rather than my usual personal review:

quote:

Of all the shows to try and grasp for this ring, Andor is the one I expected the least. It’s a seeming afterthought in two directions: a prequel series to Rogue One that no one asked for, and an apparently lesser project developed in the shadow of the blockbuster, nostalgia-laden Obi-Wan and Boba Fett series. I wasn’t even originally planning on watching it, especially after finding Obi-Wan such a draining slog. But I did. And so I’m in the uncomfortable position of finding myself unable to assess it, as I did for Obi-Wan, in the context of being an inevitable footnote, a “nice try” at making Star Wars, something that certainly didn’t restart the fire and at best made an interesting pattern in the ashes—an Aladdin 2: Jafar’s Revenge to the original sextet of films’ Aladdin.

https://bloodknife.com/andor-star-wars-corporate-art/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Now we all know your name is Josh!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah right

McNamee is the fake sounding thing ever

might as well call yourself Alan McSmithee

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's pretty clear why Andor is the worst performing series so far: it doesn't have any of the big SW stuff that we're all happy to not have in there. The "fandom" is a small sliver of the audience for these shows and normies like Jedis and death stars and ewoks. We're all sick of lightsabers and the Force because we've spent 10,000 hours reading, watching, and thinking about them but regular people think they're cool.

People blame the name but it's not like "The Mandalorian" was a household term before. But it was a competently executed show that was full to the brim with SW cliches and callbacks and even digital Luke Skywalker, and the biggest buzz the show got was around those callbacks and cameos. People who consider themselves in the fandom and people who just like to watch some space movies just don't look at these products with the same set of eyes.

e: also Baby Yoda may account for up to 90% of the Mandaloran's initial popularity.

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 18, 2022

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

e: also Baby Yoda may account for up to 90% of the Mandaloran's initial popularity.

understatement

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The solution is simple: baby Stellan Skarsgard.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah right

McNamee is the fake sounding thing ever

might as well call yourself Alan McSmithee

You know no-one ever says this and I think it all the time.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Yoda, Grogu, Rogu

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

zoux posted:

It's absolutely this. My SO went from "I'll watch this space mercenary show with you, I guess" to "if anything happens to that wonderful baby goblin I'll kill you all then myself."

My son, too.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

My son, too.

:suspense:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hazards of marrying into the Benoit family