Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Charlz Guybon posted:

Old fashioned gun AA systems like the gepard should work

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flakpanzer_Gepard

Shouldn't Ukraine have some Soviet Shilkas lying around? Those seen like they are an ideal match against crappy drones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

steinrokkan posted:

Shouldn't Ukraine have some Soviet Shilkas lying around? Those seen like they are an ideal match against crappy drones.

Hell, wouldn't something even more old fashioned like, say, a 20mm Oerlikon AA gun work too?

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
It is probably safe to assume that Ukraine has most if not all of their short ranged AA positioned with/around their conventional forces and not defending cities.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

a migrant worker from Moscow who decided to make some "easy" money on war and enlisted.

Not sure where you pulled out this from.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
30% of power stations in Ukraine knocked out in the last week or so, this is really bad

It's just appalling and absolutely a war crime, I do wish the international community would respond a bit more than they have been. Millions are going to suffer through winter.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

30% of power stations in Ukraine knocked out in the last week or so, this is really bad

It's just appalling and absolutely a war crime, I do wish the international community would respond a bit more than they have been. Millions are going to suffer through winter.

Hit is not knocked out. Lots of media have been using an exaggerated and incorrect headline.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Our national media are citing Expressen as reporting that at least 50 metres of pipeline have been destroyed.

https://twitter.com/mike_eckel/status/1582302162012753921

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
if I was the deputy head of the Kherson Military-Civilian Administration I probably would *not* do a poetry slam lampshading the illegitimacy of the referendums and the absurdity of Russia's imperial ambitions

https://twitter.com/felix_light/status/1582308673342537728?s=20&t=dcpzkS9JJyh90iXlqQNRzQ

https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1582280779669069824?s=20&t=DRZOtpohqUYViBgyzIEdJg

"A platypus is snuffling in a pond!"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Our national media are citing Expressen as reporting that at least 50 metres of pipeline have been destroyed.
Yeah, small wonder they were able to pick this up on the seismographs!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PederP posted:

Hit is not knocked out. Lots of media have been using an exaggerated and incorrect headline.

Yes and that's good but it doesn't really diminish the war criming

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://twitter.com/mike_eckel/status/1582302162012753921

Whoa. Rally want to read the official report, this is nuts. I thought it'd be a relatively small breach, but I guess it makes sense if the explosion could be detected as a seismic event

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Looks to be blown outwards too, so I assume something pushed into the pipe, which kind of limits the culprits to one of two ends.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Not sure where you pulled out this from.

Misread the article, sorry, it is unclear how exactly the guy was enlisted

PederP posted:

Zelensky says destroyed

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1582285715970613248?t=QBWFWrCHB0s4CYS20tgkAg&s=19

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

PerilPastry posted:

if I was the deputy head of the Kherson Military-Civilian Administration I probably would *not* do a poetry slam lampshading the illegitimacy of the referendums and the absurdity of Russia's imperial ambitions

"A platypus is snuffling in a pond!"
He's welcome to come to Oz and cuddle a platypus.... preferably a male. Males have a spur on the hind foot that delivers a venom, capable of causing severe pain to humans.

quote:

...this is the reality of foggy Andromeda.
Just amazing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ehh with stuff like the Super Tocano being used as strike aircraft, this shows a demand for simpler, slower, and cheaper aircraft. The problem I personally see with it is that's fine for rear guard kind of stuff, but not for the front line. I think for Kyiv that a problem with how close it is to the border. Elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about a little putter plane being used to knock out a drone during all this.

How is a plane a better answer than SHORAD or an A2A drone? Planes are expensive, pilots more so, and flying a simple, slow, and cheap airplane anywhere near a peer adversary is a recipe for disaster. Plus, SHORAD can also engage missiles and long range artillery.

It makes more sense to use a helo at least since it has value for other missions.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Dick Ripple posted:

It is probably safe to assume that Ukraine has most if not all of their short ranged AA positioned with/around their conventional forces and not defending cities.

given that they're shooting a lot of missiles and drones down far away from the front lines, idk if that's safe to assume at all

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
We are also seeing people trying to shoot down slow flying Iranian made drones in the middle of Kyiv with small arms.

While they do have short and long range AA assets protecting critical infrastructure around major cities, most of those resources are (and should be) positioned to protect their ground forces in the East and South.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I cringed when I saw police shooting their AKs into the air, they're not going to hit the drones at all and the stray fire is lethal.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/yaffaesque/status/1582016373588254721?t=vfCrzK6YiM2GUU7FTPHVzA&s=19

An account on how dysfunctional the Russian foreign office is, by the diplomat who resigned in protest.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

https://twitter.com/felix_light/status/1582308673342537728?s=20&t=dcpzkS9JJyh90iXlqQNRzQ

So... is he trying to not-so-subtly signal that he is against the Russian regime, or is he a psychotic ultranationalist who seriously thinks that the entire world belongs to Russia, like the Nation of Islam thing where ancient Egypt and all other advanced ancient cultures were ruled by time-travelling African American Shabazzian space wizards?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Russia is smugly targeting Ukraine power infrastructure before winter to terrorize the civilian population into forcing them push for surrender. This of course won't have the desired effect.

However I wonder if Russia has consider that it's playing with fire, because large portions of Moscow and St. Petersburg are still heated via an ancient network of steam pipes for winter. Said network is entirely serviced by one or two pumping station, and would take little to no effort to cripple the entire thing.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 18, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Saladman posted:

So... is he trying to not-so-subtly signal that he is against the Russian regime, or is he a psychotic ultranationalist who seriously thinks that the entire world belongs to Russia, like the Nation of Islam thing where ancient Egypt and all other advanced ancient cultures were ruled by time-travelling African American Shabazzian space wizards?

There's another option: trying to make "funny" jokes

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Saladman posted:

Russia was so starved for finding local administration in occupied Kherson so the best they could do was literally a village idiot mostly known for antivax "activism"

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-18/russian-warplane-crashes-into-apartment-building-killing-13/101549066

Is this crash a freak accident or are we starting to see the effects of sanctions on Russian aviation sector?

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Pleasant Friend posted:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-18/russian-warplane-crashes-into-apartment-building-killing-13/101549066

Is this crash a freak accident or are we starting to see the effects of sanctions on Russian aviation sector?

There's no way to tell from the outside. We'll know it's the second if this starts to become really common. So far, there's just two incidents.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

There's no way to tell from the outside. We'll know it's the second if this starts to become really common. So far, there's just two incidents.

Oryx lists about a dozen of crashes due to non-combat causes

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/03/list-of-aircraft-losses-during-2022.html?m=1

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Still, I doubt sanctions against civilian aviation have anything to do with it. Probably just the regular lovely maintenance and more flight hours than normal.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Saladman posted:

It’s the latter, a reasonably traditional deep-end mythology for Russia’s far right.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

You also have to consider that within the warzone both sides are having to fly dangerously low. Some of these "non-combat" losses might have been caused by having to fly at a ridiculously low altitude where just one simple mistake means you crash.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/yaffaesque/status/1582016373588254721?t=vfCrzK6YiM2GUU7FTPHVzA&s=19

An account on how dysfunctional the Russian foreign office is, by the diplomat who resigned in protest.

This is a great article but it unfortunately reinforces all the fears: Putin appears to be a sociopath surrounded by a culture of sycophants , all high on their own supply.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is a great article but it unfortunately reinforces all the fears: Putin appears to be a sociopath surrounded by a culture of sycophants , all high on their own supply.

The original in Russian does hit some heavy notes, it’s very competently written.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hell, wouldn't something even more old fashioned like, say, a 20mm Oerlikon AA gun work too?
Once you can saturate a flight path with proxy-fused munitions your kP goes up a bunch. This is what essentially every modern point defense AA system does.
A little radar (2 if they're old) an autocannon, and a bunch of software.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It’s the latter, a reasonably traditional deep-end mythology for Russia’s far right.

Yeah, there are some truly amazingly batshit insane rabbitholes - like Formenko's New Chronology and its 'Jesus was actually a 12th century Byzantine Emperor, and all ancient history is popish lies to erase the wonderous achievements of the ancient global russian empire that once ruled the entire known world' thesis.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tigey posted:

Yeah, there are some truly amazingly batshit insane rabbitholes - like Formenko's New Chronology and its 'Jesus was actually a 12th century Byzantine Emperor, and all ancient history is popish lies to erase the wonderous achievements of the ancient global russian empire that once ruled the entire known world' thesis.

Okaayyy, I'll probably regret it but... is there time travel involved, or is it second coming or, something? Or do they claim Christianity existing before the 12th century is a Catholic lie (and how does that work with Eastern Christianity in Rus' in 10th century?)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

OddObserver posted:

Okaayyy, I'll probably regret it but... is there time travel involved, or is it second coming or, something? Or do they claim Christianity existing before the 12th century is a Catholic lie (and how does that work with Eastern Christianity in Rus' in 10th century?)

According to adherents like chess champion turned dissident Kasparov, it mainly revolves around the idea that the Roman empire could have have existed until medieval times due to tech limitations

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

He claims that history of the time period before 17th century is entirely fabricated. The idea is basically that there’s no written history predating 9th century or some poo poo, and then everything you see in the world is consequence of Russian super empire building like the Pyramids and the Hanging Gardens and birthing the Christ in the time span of 9-16th centuries. Or something like that that anyway. I don’t think I have it in my English vocabulary to accurately characterise the extent of derangement involved here.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

evil_bunnY posted:

Once you can saturate a flight path with proxy-fused munitions your kP goes up a bunch. This is what essentially every modern point defense AA system does.
A little radar (2 if they're old) an autocannon, and a bunch of software.

Problem is you need a lot of them to cover Ukraine as long as Russia is bombing civilian and industrial infrastructure. The border with Russia and Belarus is 2300 km...

Long range AA systems are too expensive and production rates too low to keep up. Autocannons require a massive network comprising thousands of units which no one has and in any case would be a significant expense in material and manpower. Fighter planes and pilots are expensive, in short supply and not designed to engage small slow flying bombs.

The only economical solution is to shoot the drones down with high caliber guns on platforms that can move to intercept them. I doesn't really matter if those platforms are piloted planes or RC drones but drones would probably be cheaper to operate. They just haven't been invented yet.

Speaking of
https://twitter.com/KyryliukRoma/status/1582285711847219200?t=Jn_ArJybC4_Ht7cBNscoZg&s=19

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He claims that history of the time period before 17th century is entirely fabricated. The idea is basically that there’s no written history predating 9th century or some poo poo, and then everything you see in the world is consequence of Russian super empire building like the Pyramids and the Hanging Gardens and birthing the Christ in the time span of 9-16th centuries. Or something like that that anyway. I don’t think I have it in my English vocabulary to accurately characterise the extent of derangement involved here.

"Medieval texts often parrot ancient texts, but modern texts critically analyze ancient texts and come to different conclusions. This means that the medieval and ancient texts must have literally been contemporaneous with each other to be so similar, and the modern texts must be fabrications since they differ from the historical record." :eng101:

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Owling Howl posted:

Problem is you need a lot of them to cover Ukraine as long as Russia is bombing civilian and industrial infrastructure. The border with Russia and Belarus is 2300 km...

Long range AA systems are too expensive and production rates too low to keep up. Autocannons require a massive network comprising thousands of units which no one has and in any case would be a significant expense in material and manpower. Fighter planes and pilots are expensive, in short supply and not designed to engage small slow flying bombs.

The only economical solution is to shoot the drones down with high caliber guns on platforms that can move to intercept them. I doesn't really matter if those platforms are piloted planes or RC drones but drones would probably be cheaper to operate. They just haven't been invented yet.

Speaking of
https://twitter.com/KyryliukRoma/status/1582285711847219200?t=Jn_ArJybC4_Ht7cBNscoZg&s=19

I thought guns on drones wouldn't work because the recoil of shooting would knock the drone out of the sky?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Going to the depend on the weight/inertia of the drone platform, your chances of actually hitting anything air to air would likely be very low.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hannibal Rex posted:

quote:

One official, a respected expert on ballistic missiles, told me that Russia needed to “send a nuclear warhead to a suburb of Washington.” He added, “Americans will poo poo their pants and rush to beg us for peace.” He appeared to be partially joking. But Russians tend to think that Americans are too pampered to risk their lives for anything, so when I pointed out that a nuclear attack would invite catastrophic retaliation, he scoffed: “No it wouldn’t.”
:stonklol:

Well. Hopefully the recent statements have made it clear that MAD is still a thing.

Pleasant Friend posted:

I thought guns on drones wouldn't work because the recoil of shooting would knock the drone out of the sky?
I'm guessing it's just a joke because there's no way that quadcopter could catch even a slow drone like Shahed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

I always laugh when the line "Americans are soft and will never respond to a suprise attack on American soil" gets trotted out. Historically it's like the one thing guaranteed to turn the American public into frothing mad revenge elementals dedicated to bombing something .